Cast your vote for Win8

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

GerardJan-8
Banned User
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Ant-21
On 3/16/2012 5:59 PM PT, GerardJan typed:

>>> I would not touch or come anywhere close to Win8--Win7 is bad enough.
>>> IMO microsoft has lost it way when it comes to Operating systems.
>>
>> Win7 is a very good OS. Bad enough compared to what?
>
> Thumbs up, Terry

Add my thumb up. Vista and ME were better than W8!
--
"An ant may work its (her) heart out, but it (she) can't make money."
--unknown

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Rick-156
On 3/16/2012 2:27 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 3/15/2012 7:08 PM On a whim, Rick pounded out on the keyboard

>>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/would-you-buy-windows-8-poll/71427?tag=nl.e539
>>>

>>> Terry
>> I would not touch or come anywhere close to Win8--Win7 is bad enough.
>> IMO microsoft has lost it way when it comes to Operating systems.
>
> Win7 is a very good OS. Bad enough compared to what?
>

> Terry
XP

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Rick-156
On 3/16/2012 2:27 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 3/15/2012 7:08 PM On a whim, Rick pounded out on the keyboard

>>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/would-you-buy-windows-8-poll/71427?tag=nl.e539
>>>

>>> Terry
>> I would not touch or come anywhere close to Win8--Win7 is bad enough.
>> IMO microsoft has lost it way when it comes to Operating systems.
>
> Win7 is a very good OS. Bad enough compared to what?
>

> Terry
The reasons I do no like Win7 is that it has basically taken away to
ability to edit the registry and that makes it very difficult to remove
programs that can not be removed any other way--case in point yProxy Pro.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Rick graced us with on 3/17/2012
9:26 AM:

>>> I would not touch or come anywhere close to Win8--Win7 is bad enough.
>>> IMO microsoft has lost it way when it comes to Operating systems.
>>
>> Win7 is a very good OS. Bad enough compared to what?
>>

>> Terry
> The reasons I do no like Win7 is that it has basically taken away to
> ability to edit the registry and that makes it very difficult to remove
> programs that can not be removed any other way--case in point yProxy Pro.

regedit works the same in Win7 as it did in WinXP, no?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Rick-156
On 3/17/2012 11:42 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Rick graced us with on 3/17/2012
> 9:26 AM:
>>> On 3/15/2012 7:08 PM On a whim, Rick pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Win7 is a very good OS. Bad enough compared to what?
>>>

>>> Terry
>> The reasons I do no like Win7 is that it has basically taken away to
>> ability to edit the registry and that makes it very difficult to
>> remove programs that can not be removed any other way--case in point
>> yProxy Pro.
>
> regedit works the same in Win7 as it did in WinXP, no?

no it does not.  You can not delete entries at least I can not running
Win7 64bit

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Rick graced us with on 3/17/2012
10:25 AM:

> On 3/17/2012 11:42 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Rick graced us with on 3/17/2012
>> 9:26 AM:

>>> The reasons I do no like Win7 is that it has basically taken away to
>>> ability to edit the registry and that makes it very difficult to
>>> remove programs that can not be removed any other way--case in point
>>> yProxy Pro.
>>
>> regedit works the same in Win7 as it did in WinXP, no?
>>
> no it does not.  You can not delete entries at least I can not running
> Win7 64bit

I do it often (Win7, 64bit) . Can you run regedit?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Jeff Grossman
On Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:26:15 AM UTC-7, Rick wrote:

> >> I would not touch or come anywhere close to Win8--Win7 is bad enough.
> >> IMO microsoft has lost it way when it comes to Operating systems.
> >
> > Win7 is a very good OS. Bad enough compared to what?
> >

> > Terry
> The reasons I do no like Win7 is that it has basically taken away to
> ability to edit the registry and that makes it very difficult to remove
> programs that can not be removed any other way--case in point yProxy Pro.

I have no problems running Regedit in Windows 7.  Not sure why you are unable to.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Ron Hunter
On 3/17/2012 11:26 AM, Rick wrote:

>>> I would not touch or come anywhere close to Win8--Win7 is bad enough.
>>> IMO microsoft has lost it way when it comes to Operating systems.
>>
>> Win7 is a very good OS. Bad enough compared to what?
>>

>> Terry
> The reasons I do no like Win7 is that it has basically taken away to
> ability to edit the registry and that makes it very difficult to remove
> programs that can not be removed any other way--case in point yProxy Pro.

Say WHAT?  I regularly expunge things from my registry.  What gave you
the idea you can't edit it?  regedit.exc is still there.  I suspect you
will need admin privileges to use it.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Ron Hunter
On 3/17/2012 12:25 PM, Rick wrote:

> On 3/17/2012 11:42 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Rick graced us with on 3/17/2012
>> 9:26 AM:

>>> The reasons I do no like Win7 is that it has basically taken away to
>>> ability to edit the registry and that makes it very difficult to
>>> remove programs that can not be removed any other way--case in point
>>> yProxy Pro.
>>
>> regedit works the same in Win7 as it did in WinXP, no?
>>
> no it does not. You can not delete entries at least I can not running
> Win7 64bit
Win 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.  I went through and deleted at least 100
registry entries just the other day, manually.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Ed Mullen-6
[hidden email] wrote:
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/would-you-buy-windows-8-poll/71427?tag=nl.e539
>

> Terry

It's too long a rant on a late St. Patrick's night.  So, let me just
say, it sucks.  Hugely.  Horribly.  More than I ever thought it would
be.  It is more hugely horrible than anything.

I have sampled it. Dual-boot config. It is indescribably inexplicably
horrible.  I need to go check my portfolio and see if it includes any
Microsoft.  If so, I'm calling my financial guy in the morning and
telling him to sell anything that contains MS. ASAP.

Jesus!  What a frigging nightmare!!!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Ron Hunter
On 3/17/2012 9:23 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/would-you-buy-windows-8-poll/71427?tag=nl.e539
>>

>> Terry
>
> It's too long a rant on a late St. Patrick's night. So, let me just say,
> it sucks. Hugely. Horribly. More than I ever thought it would be. It is
> more hugely horrible than anything.
>
> I have sampled it. Dual-boot config. It is indescribably inexplicably
> horrible. I need to go check my portfolio and see if it includes any
> Microsoft. If so, I'm calling my financial guy in the morning and
> telling him to sell anything that contains MS. ASAP.
>
> Jesus! What a frigging nightmare!!!

I see you have the same opinion as I do.  If Google ever considered
releasing a competitive OS, NOW is the time!

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

rebro
Am 18.03.2012 03:23, schrieb Ed Mullen:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/would-you-buy-windows-8-poll/71427?tag=nl.e539
>>

>> Terry
>
> It's too long a rant on a late St. Patrick's night. So, let me just say,
> it sucks. Hugely. Horribly. More than I ever thought it would be. It is
> more hugely horrible than anything.
>
> I have sampled it. Dual-boot config. It is indescribably inexplicably
> horrible. I need to go check my portfolio and see if it includes any
> Microsoft. If so, I'm calling my financial guy in the morning and
> telling him to sell anything that contains MS. ASAP.
>
> Jesus! What a frigging nightmare!!!

Let me join you in these views.
I am hopefully looking forward to the release of a Service Pack 1 before
the beta stage is finished.
-rebro

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Rick-156
On 3/17/2012 4:33 PM, Jeff Grossman wrote:

> On Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:26:15 AM UTC-7, Rick wrote:
>>> On 3/15/2012 7:08 PM On a whim, Rick pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Win7 is a very good OS. Bad enough compared to what?
>>>

>>> Terry
>> The reasons I do no like Win7 is that it has basically taken away to
>> ability to edit the registry and that makes it very difficult to remove
>> programs that can not be removed any other way--case in point yProxy Pro.
>
> I have no problems running Regedit in Windows 7.  Not sure why you are unable to.
The question is can you delete entries?  Regedit run OK but when I try
to modify it I am blocked by the OS.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Rick-156
On 3/17/2012 8:12 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 3/17/2012 11:26 AM, Rick wrote:
>>> On 3/15/2012 7:08 PM On a whim, Rick pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Win7 is a very good OS. Bad enough compared to what?
>>>

>>> Terry
>> The reasons I do no like Win7 is that it has basically taken away to
>> ability to edit the registry and that makes it very difficult to remove
>> programs that can not be removed any other way--case in point yProxy Pro.
>
> Say WHAT? I regularly expunge things from my registry. What gave you the
> idea you can't edit it? regedit.exc is still there. I suspect you will
> need admin privileges to use it.

I am the Administrator it seems to make no difference.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Rick-156
On 3/17/2012 8:13 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 3/17/2012 12:25 PM, Rick wrote:
>> On 3/17/2012 11:42 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Rick graced us with on 3/17/2012
>>> 9:26 AM:

>>> regedit works the same in Win7 as it did in WinXP, no?
>>>
>> no it does not. You can not delete entries at least I can not running
>> Win7 64bit
> Win 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. I went through and deleted at least 100
> registry entries just the other day, manually.

I stand corrected I just went in and deleted some XP stuff. I will have
to see if this persists.  I know that when I first got going with this
new computer I could not remove programs with regedit.  We will see how
it goes.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Ron Hunter
On 3/18/2012 9:08 AM, Rick wrote:

> On 3/17/2012 4:33 PM, Jeff Grossman wrote:

>>> The reasons I do no like Win7 is that it has basically taken away to
>>> ability to edit the registry and that makes it very difficult to remove
>>> programs that can not be removed any other way--case in point yProxy
>>> Pro.
>>
>> I have no problems running Regedit in Windows 7. Not sure why you are
>> unable to.
> The question is can you delete entries? Regedit run OK but when I try to
> modify it I am blocked by the OS.

Well, I went through and deleted about 100 or so RealPlayer entries the
other day.  No problem.

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 3/13/2012 9:42 AM:
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/would-you-buy-windows-8-poll/71427?tag=nl.e539

REF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sforhbLiwLA&feature=player_embedded

Honestly, if Microsoft would just let this pitchman do the selling, all
this angst concerning Win8 desktop would fly away like a flock of
beautifully-colored MSN butterflies.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Cast your vote for Win8

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 3/13/2012 9:42 AM:
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/would-you-buy-windows-8-poll/71427?tag=nl.e539

REF: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/21/microbite_episode_34/

[excerpt quote="
After some rowdy Apple-style rah-rah fanboidom, it has quickly become
apparent that the focus on tablets makes Microsoft’s Windows 8 difficult
and frustrating to use for those running a Windows 7 or even a Window XP
machine.
" /]

One of the best and most honest discussions regarding Microsoft's
directions that I've yet heard. Mary Jo Foley (of ZDNet) is a long time
journalist on all things Microsoft and has been unbiased in her
assessments but, generally, willing to give Microsoft the benefit of the
doubt.

If you have 30 minutes, it will be most revealing regarding dismal
outlook for them and what seems to be a leaderless hodge-podge of odd
decisions coming from them as of late.

I'd say, if you own Microsoft stock, now is the time to sell!

On 3/21/2012 9:45 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 3/13/2012 9:42 AM:
>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/would-you-buy-windows-8-poll/71427?tag=nl.e539
>>
> REF: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/21/microbite_episode_34/
>
> [excerpt quote="
> After some rowdy Apple-style rah-rah fanboidom, it has quickly become
> apparent that the focus on tablets makes Microsoft’s Windows 8 difficult
> and frustrating to use for those running a Windows 7 or even a Window XP
> machine.
> " /]
>
> One of the best and most honest discussions regarding Microsoft's
> directions that I've yet heard. Mary Jo Foley (of ZDNet) is a long time
> journalist on all things Microsoft and has been unbiased in her
> assessments but, generally, willing to give Microsoft the benefit of the
> doubt.
>
> If you have 30 minutes, it will be most revealing regarding dismal
> outlook for them and what seems to be a leaderless hodge-podge of odd
> decisions coming from them as of late.
>
> I'd say, if you own Microsoft stock, now is the time to sell!

I agree.  After Windows 8 is released, the stock will be about where
American Airlines is now...