Carry forward customizations

gdipankar
Hi.

I am using Bugzilla 3.4.2. I have made some changes in template files, specifically javascript changes.
Now, if I upgrade to the latest version, is there any way to carry forward the changes ? Or do I need to carry out the changes again after the upgrade ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Carry forward customizations

Thorsten Schöning
Guten Tag gdipankar,
am Freitag, 31. Januar 2014 um 07:59 schrieben Sie:

> Now, if I upgrade to the latest version, is there any way to carry forward
> the changes ?

That depends on how you changed the files: If you followed the official
guide for templates and created a custom folder, that won't get
changed by an upgrade. Same for JS, but I think there's hasn't been
something like default/custom in your version and you surely did
change the core files.

But even if your files stay untouched, if they are still working and
making sense depends on what you customized and how the templates you
changed were modified in the meantime. It's unlikely that you get your
expected, working results without any adaptions.

> Or do I need to carry out the changes again after the upgrade
> ?

I would first have a look at if your modifications are still necessary
in current versions and re-apply them afterwards. If you already know
you need modifications you should start with using bzr and create you
own local branch with modifications, this way bzr will help you merge
future upgrades in. Besides that, you should have a look at extensions
für your customizations, which may provide templates and JS as well.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Bzr
http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/4.4/en/html/api/Bugzilla/Extension.html

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:[hidden email]
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme      http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04