Can this: *.txt that appears be used?

Erness Wild
This is for the seasoned computer user:
Can the *.txt that always appears in the
file saving window be used without using
a manual select of the * ?
Is there a secret key button to select just
the * over replacing the *.txt already in the
document naming entry panel?
Just wondering.
--
Takes more than talk to get things done.

Re: Can this: *.txt that appears be used?

RAV-2
On 1/2/2014 1:46 PM, Erness Wild wrote:
> This is for the seasoned computer user:
> Can the *.txt that always appears in the
> file saving window be used without using
> a manual select of the * ?
> Is there a secret key button to select just
> the * over replacing the *.txt already in the
> document naming entry panel?
> Just wondering.

I'm not sure if you literally mean that just the * character is to the
left of the .txt, or if you're using * to mean whatever multi-character
text happens to be there.

If you mean just the *, I don't know of one key that will do it, but two
will:  Home, Delete

If you mean there are multiple characters to the left of the .txt, then
assuming the entire filename is selected (the background is all shaded
in blue) and the cursor is at the end of the filename, then do this:
While holding down the Shift key, press the left arrow key four times.
This will leave just the name portion selected, and exclude the .txt.
Now, just type.

Re: Can this: *.txt that appears be used?

F1Com
On 1/2/2014 10:46 AM On a whim, Erness Wild pounded out on the keyboard

> This is for the seasoned computer user:
> Can the *.txt that always appears in the
> file saving window be used without using
> a manual select of the * ?
> Is there a secret key button to select just
> the * over replacing the *.txt already in the
> document naming entry panel?
> Just wondering.

Always appears in what program?

What do you mean, "manual select of the *"?

Using Notepad as a reference, clicking File, Save As presents the dialog
box with *.txt selected.  Just type the filename you prefer since the
*.txt is highlighted and will be overwritten.  You don't even have to
use the extension because Notepad uses .txt by default, so typing "Notes
for 2014" will result in Notes for 2014.txt.

Of course you need Windows Explorer to be displaying filename extensions
in order to see this.

Re: Can this: *.txt that appears be used?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Erness Wild graced us with on
1/2/2014 10:46 AM:
> This is for the seasoned computer user:
> Can the *.txt that always appears in the
> file saving window be used without using
> a manual select of the * ?
> Is there a secret key button to select just
> the * over replacing the *.txt already in the
> document naming entry panel?
> Just wondering.

Assuming you're referring to a new document from a test editor such as
Notepad, there should be no need to only highlight the * and leaving the
.txt filetype part non-highlighted. The "Save as type:" dropdown box
underneath should be set to "Text Documents (*.txt)" so that whatever
filename you give, even with filetype missing, will be saved as
"yourfilename.txt".

--
Sailfish

On 1/2/2014 2:38 PM, Rav wrote:

> On 1/2/2014 1:46 PM, Erness Wild wrote:
>> This is for the seasoned computer user:
>> Can the *.txt that always appears in the
>> file saving window be used without using
>> a manual select of the * ?
>> Is there a secret key button to select just
>> the * over replacing the *.txt already in the
>> document naming entry panel?
>> Just wondering.
>
> I'm not sure if you literally mean that just the * character is to the
> left of the .txt, or if you're using * to mean whatever multi-character
> text happens to be there.
>
> If you mean just the *, I don't know of one key that will do it, but two
> will:  Home, Delete
>
> If you mean there are multiple characters to the left of the .txt, then
> assuming the entire filename is selected (the background is all shaded
> in blue) and the cursor is at the end of the filename, then do this:
> While holding down the Shift key, press the left arrow key four times.
> This will leave just the name portion selected, and exclude the .txt.
> Now, just type.

For multiple characters to the left, here's another alternative:  Hold
down the Shift AND the Ctrl key.  Press the left arrow key ONCE.  This
will remove "txt" from being selected.  Now type.  This will also remove
the ".", so you'll have to retype that.  But at least you won't have to
retype "txt" .  I realize this isn't as easy as one secret key, but if
it helps you, then great.

Rav wrote:

> On 1/2/2014 1:46 PM, Erness Wild wrote:
>> This is for the seasoned computer user:
>> Can the *.txt that always appears in the
>> file saving window be used without using
>> a manual select of the * ?
>> Is there a secret key button to select just
>> the * over replacing the *.txt already in the
>> document naming entry panel?
>> Just wondering.
>
> I'm not sure if you literally mean that just the * character is to the
> left of the .txt, or if you're using * to mean whatever multi-character
> text happens to be there.
>
> If you mean just the *, I don't know of one key that will do it, but two
> will:  Home, Delete
>
> If you mean there are multiple characters to the left of the .txt, then
> assuming the entire filename is selected (the background is all shaded
> in blue) and the cursor is at the end of the filename, then do this:
> While holding down the Shift key, press the left arrow key four times.
> This will leave just the name portion selected, and exclude the .txt.
> Now, just type.
Thanks, yes that is what I'm looking for.

--
Takes more than talk to get things done.

Re: Can this: *.txt that appears be used?

Mike Easter-2
Erness Wild wrote:

> This is for the seasoned computer user:
> Can the *.txt that always appears in the
> file saving window be used without using
> a manual select of the * ?

You are using SM 2.19 under Win XP for your message here and one would
assume for the condition you describe.

The file saving function you are describing is that of your OS file
manager, not anything SeaMonkey.

> Is there a secret key button to select just
> the * over replacing the *.txt already in the
> document naming entry panel?
> Just wondering.

I don't know the answer to the question (nor do I see what you are
describing); but my instinct tells me that configuration could be
modified in the XP registry.

I'm posting here with Tb under linux; over yonder I have a Tb under XP
but nothing that I can practice on that causes a Save file manager to
offer *.txt.

--
Mike Easter

[hidden email] wrote:

> On 1/2/2014 10:46 AM On a whim, Erness Wild pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> This is for the seasoned computer user:
>> Can the *.txt that always appears in the
>> file saving window be used without using
>> a manual select of the * ?
>> Is there a secret key button to select just
>> the * over replacing the *.txt already in the
>> document naming entry panel?
>> Just wondering.
>
> Always appears in what program?
>
> What do you mean, "manual select of the *"?
>
> Using Notepad as a reference, clicking File, Save As presents the dialog
> box with *.txt selected.  Just type the filename you prefer since the
> *.txt is highlighted and will be overwritten.  You don't even have to
> use the extension because Notepad uses .txt by default, so typing "Notes
> for 2014" will result in Notes for 2014.txt.
>
> Of course you need Windows Explorer to be displaying filename extensions
> in order to see this.

By manually I mean the *.txt comes up all selected, (why bother, might
as well just have a flashing cursor point)
so I have to use my mouse to manually select the *
Seems like a short cut should be a short cut to save
monotonous file naming functions.
I'm also a Mac user and appreciate the three letter extension visible.
I know how to find the secret preference button to make that pc
extention visible.
Thanks for your response.

--
Takes more than talk to get things done.

Re: Can this: *.txt that appears be used?

F1Com
On 1/2/2014 11:48 AM On a whim, Erness Wild pounded out on the keyboard

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> On 1/2/2014 10:46 AM On a whim, Erness Wild pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> This is for the seasoned computer user:
>>> Can the *.txt that always appears in the
>>> file saving window be used without using
>>> a manual select of the * ?
>>> Is there a secret key button to select just
>>> the * over replacing the *.txt already in the
>>> document naming entry panel?
>>> Just wondering.
>> Always appears in what program?
>>
>> What do you mean, "manual select of the *"?
>>
>> Using Notepad as a reference, clicking File, Save As presents the dialog
>> box with *.txt selected.  Just type the filename you prefer since the
>> *.txt is highlighted and will be overwritten.  You don't even have to
>> use the extension because Notepad uses .txt by default, so typing "Notes
>> for 2014" will result in Notes for 2014.txt.
>>
>> Of course you need Windows Explorer to be displaying filename extensions
>> in order to see this.
>>
> By manually I mean the *.txt comes up all selected, (why bother, might
> as well just have a flashing cursor point)
> so I have to use my mouse to manually select the *
> Seems like a short cut should be a short cut to save
> monotonous file naming functions.
> I'm also a Mac user and appreciate the three letter extension visible.
> I know how to find the secret preference button to make that pc
> extention visible.
> Thanks for your response.

No, you don't have to use your mouse.  The "*.txt" is highlighted, which
means as soon as you start typing, "*.txt" is replaced.  And you don't
need to add a .txt at the end, the program usually adds its extension.

Re: Can this: *.txt that appears be used?

F1Com
On 1/2/2014 11:43 AM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what Erness Wild graced us with on
> 1/2/2014 10:46 AM:
>> This is for the seasoned computer user:
>> Can the *.txt that always appears in the
>> file saving window be used without using
>> a manual select of the * ?
>> Is there a secret key button to select just
>> the * over replacing the *.txt already in the
>> document naming entry panel?
>> Just wondering.
>
> Assuming you're referring to a new document from a test editor such as
> Notepad, there should be no need to only highlight the * and leaving the
> .txt filetype part non-highlighted. The "Save as type:" dropdown box
> underneath should be set to "Text Documents (*.txt)" so that whatever
> filename you give, even with filetype missing, will be saved as
> "yourfilename.txt".

Yes, that's what I stated also.

Re: Can this: *.txt that appears be used?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 1/2/2014 4:58 PM:

> On 1/2/2014 11:43 AM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Erness Wild graced us with on
>> 1/2/2014 10:46 AM:
>>> This is for the seasoned computer user:
>>> Can the *.txt that always appears in the
>>> file saving window be used without using
>>> a manual select of the * ?
>>> Is there a secret key button to select just
>>> the * over replacing the *.txt already in the
>>> document naming entry panel?
>>> Just wondering.
>>
>> Assuming you're referring to a new document from a test editor such as
>> Notepad, there should be no need to only highlight the * and leaving the
>> .txt filetype part non-highlighted. The "Save as type:" dropdown box
>> underneath should be set to "Text Documents (*.txt)" so that whatever
>> filename you give, even with filetype missing, will be saved as
>> "yourfilename.txt".
>
> Yes, that's what I stated also.

+1

--
Sailfish

[hidden email] wrote:

> On 1/2/2014 11:48 AM On a whim, Erness Wild pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>> On 1/2/2014 10:46 AM On a whim, Erness Wild pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Always appears in what program?
>>>
>>> What do you mean, "manual select of the *"?
>>>
>>> Using Notepad as a reference, clicking File, Save As presents the dialog
>>> box with *.txt selected.  Just type the filename you prefer since the
>>> *.txt is highlighted and will be overwritten.  You don't even have to
>>> use the extension because Notepad uses .txt by default, so typing "Notes
>>> for 2014" will result in Notes for 2014.txt.
>>>
>>> Of course you need Windows Explorer to be displaying filename extensions
>>> in order to see this.
>>>
>> By manually I mean the *.txt comes up all selected, (why bother, might
>> as well just have a flashing cursor point)
>> so I have to use my mouse to manually select the *
>> Seems like a short cut should be a short cut to save
>> monotonous file naming functions.
>> I'm also a Mac user and appreciate the three letter extension visible.
>> I know how to find the secret preference button to make that pc
>> extention visible.
>> Thanks for your response.
>>

> No, you don't have to use your mouse.  The "*.txt" is highlighted, which
> means as soon as you start typing, "*.txt" is replaced.  And you don't
> need to add a .txt at the end, the program usually adds its extension.

Really . . .
I wonder why there aren't two .txt.txt on my files then?
one that I put on and one that the program puts on.
Just kidding.

Mike Easter wrote:

> Erness Wild wrote:
>
>> This is for the seasoned computer user:
>> Can the *.txt that always appears in the
>> file saving window be used without using
>> a manual select of the * ?
>
> You are using SM 2.19 under Win XP for your message here and one would
> assume for the condition you describe.
>
> The file saving function you are describing is that of your OS file
> manager, not anything SeaMonkey.
>
>> Is there a secret key button to select just
>> the * over replacing the *.txt already in the
>> document naming entry panel?
>> Just wondering.
>
> I don't know the answer to the question (nor do I see what you are
> describing); but my instinct tells me that configuration could be
> modified in the XP registry.
>
> I'm posting here with Tb under linux; over yonder I have a Tb under XP
> but nothing that I can practice on that causes a Save file manager to
> offer *.txt.

I use XP and I get it all the time when saving note pad files. I use
note pad files for all my text documents as that seems to be the best
document type for Mac or PC or to open in a browser window no matter how
much "they" keep regrading software and operating systems.
I like the term "regrading" over "upgrading", can you guess why?

--
Takes more than talk to get things done.

Re: Can this: *.txt that appears be used?

F1Com
On 1/3/2014 4:49 AM On a whim, Erness Wild pounded out on the keyboard

> [hidden email] wrote:

>>> By manually I mean the *.txt comes up all selected, (why bother, might
>>> as well just have a flashing cursor point)
>>> so I have to use my mouse to manually select the *
>>> Seems like a short cut should be a short cut to save
>>> monotonous file naming functions.
>>> I'm also a Mac user and appreciate the three letter extension visible.
>>> I know how to find the secret preference button to make that pc
>>> extention visible.
>>> Thanks for your response.
>>>

>> No, you don't have to use your mouse.  The "*.txt" is highlighted, which
>> means as soon as you start typing, "*.txt" is replaced.  And you don't
>> need to add a .txt at the end, the program usually adds its extension.
>>

> Really . . .
> I wonder why there aren't two .txt.txt on my files then?
> one that I put on and one that the program puts on.
> Just kidding.

If extensions were hidden and you saved with a filename in Notepad named
"note.txt", Notepad would save it as note.txt.txt, but you wouldn't see
the 2nd one since extensions are hidden.