Can't see my calendar data in 0.3a1

HerbEppel
Having read the recent correspondence under the subject "Sunbird 0.3a1",
I am aware that anything I do is at my own risk, but I would
nevertheless like to try it out (I back up all my data on a daily basis,
so hopefully I should be protected from potential alpha disasters).

I have installed 0.3a1, and I created desktop shortcuts to 0.3a1 and 0.2
so that I can quickly start either if required.

When I start 0.3a1, the following compatibility screen comes up:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/herb.eppel_new/temp/Sunbird.png

0.3a1 then crashes, but it starts alright and without this compatibility
when I start it again, but I can't see my calendar data.

I know 0.2 locates the calendar data via CalendarManager.rdf stored in
my Sunbird profile.

Does 0.3a1 use a different method, or what am I missing?

Regards

Herbert Eppel
--
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Re: Can't see my calendar data in 0.3a1

Rod Whiteley
Herbert Eppel wrote:
> ...the following compatibility screen comes up...

It is too late now, but I suggest you use a separate profile for 0.3a1
so that it does not mess with 0.2's data.

> ...I can't see my calendar data...

0.3a1 stores its data in the file storage.sdb in its profile.

To see your old data, you can import the ICS files from 0.2.

Alternatively, you can open the ICS files directly.  Choose File - New
Calendar File... then Remote and WebDAV.  Specify the file URL of the
ICS file.  (All three choices here are wrongly labelled in this early
version of the user interface.)

--
Rod Whiteley

On 05.12.2005 08:46 UK Time, Rod Whiteley wrote:
> Herbert Eppel wrote:
>
>> ...the following compatibility screen comes up...
>

> It is too late now, but I suggest you use a separate profile for 0.3a1
> so that it does not mess with 0.2's data.

Thanks for your reply.

Is it really too late, or would it be a good idea to uninstall both
versions and start again with fresh profiles? (Although I'm not really
too worried about my profile data, as long as I don't lose my ics data).

>> ...I can't see my calendar data...
>

> 0.3a1 stores its data in the file storage.sdb in its profile.
>
> To see your old data, you can import the ICS files from 0.2.
>
> Alternatively, you can open the ICS files directly.  Choose File - New
> Calendar File... then Remote and WebDAV.  Specify the file URL of the
> ICS file.  (All three choices here are wrongly labelled in this early
> version of the user interface.)

Thanks for the instructions.

Does this mean it is a no-return process, or will I still be able to
seem my up-to-date ICS data in 0.2, should I decide to or have to go
back to 0.2 at some stage?

Thank you.

Herbert Eppel
--
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Re: Can't see my calendar data in 0.3a1

HerbEppel
On 05.12.2005 08:46 UK Time, Rod Whiteley wrote:
> Herbert Eppel wrote:
>
>> ...the following compatibility screen comes up...
>

> It is too late now, but I suggest you use a separate profile for 0.3a1
> so that it does not mess with 0.2's data.

I forgot to mention that no actual harm appears to have been done, i.e.
I can still see/access my calendar data via 0.2

Regards

Herbert Eppel

Herbert Eppel wrote:
> ...no actual harm appears to have been done...

Yes, the ICS files are safe because 0.3a1 does not try to use them.  But
the other files in the profile might cause strange things to happen if
both versions share them.

There's no need to reinstall.  You can start Sunbird from a command line
with the -p switch to make it create a new profile, then specify that
profile in the shortcut to ensure that it is always used by that
version, like:

   sunbird.exe -p MyNewProfile

Both versions share profiles.ini, so you cannot use the "Don't ask at
startup" mechanism for this purpose.

By the way, I think there was a 0.2 bug that can make the ICS files
incompatible when they contain non-ASCII characters.  If you run into
this problem, let me know and I'll find more information.

--
Rod Whiteley

On 05.12.2005 10:01 UK Time, Rod Whiteley wrote:

> Herbert Eppel wrote:
>
>> ...no actual harm appears to have been done...
>

> Yes, the ICS files are safe because 0.3a1 does not try to use them.  But
> the other files in the profile might cause strange things to happen if
> both versions share them.
>
> There's no need to reinstall.  You can start Sunbird from a command line
> with the -p switch to make it create a new profile, then specify that
> profile in the shortcut to ensure that it is always used by that
> version, like:
>
>   sunbird.exe -p MyNewProfile
>
> Both versions share profiles.ini, so you cannot use the "Don't ask at
> startup" mechanism for this purpose.
>
> By the way, I think there was a 0.2 bug that can make the ICS files
> incompatible when they contain non-ASCII characters.  If you run into
> this problem, let me know and I'll find more information.

I created a new profile, thanks, and I started importing some 0.2 ICS
files, but it would appear that the colours of the different ICS files
are not imported.

I have 10 ICS files - I don't really need 10 calendar files, but as far
as I am aware this is the only way to use *colour* for distinguishing
different calendars.

The question therefore is whether there is a way of preserving the
colour on import from 0.2?

Thanks

Herbert Eppel

Herbert Eppel wrote:
> ...a way of preserving the colour on import from 0.2?

The colour is not stored in the ICS file, so it does not get imported.
You need a separate calendar for each ICS file.

--
Rod Whiteley

On 05.12.2005 11:40 UK Time, Rod Whiteley wrote:
> Herbert Eppel wrote:
>
>> ...a way of preserving the colour on import from 0.2?
>

> The colour is not stored in the ICS file, so it does not get imported.
> You need a separate calendar for each ICS file.

Thanks - in other words I could simply replicate my 0.2 calendar
structure in 0.3a and then import my ICS files accordingly?

Presumably this means that I won't be able to keep my 0.2 and 0.3a data
synchronised automatically?

Thank you.

Herbert Eppel
--
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Re: Can't see my calendar data in 0.3a1

Simon Paquet
Herbert Eppel wrote on 05.12.2005:

> I created a new profile, thanks, and I started importing some 0.2 ICS
> files, but it would appear that the colours of the different ICS files
> are not imported.
>
> I have 10 ICS files - I don't really need 10 calendar files, but as far
> as I am aware this is the only way to use *colour* for distinguishing
> different calendars.

Sunbird 0.3a1 allows you to assign colors to different calendar
categories
(i.e. Birthday, Business, Private, ...) and to create new categories for
your own special purposes.

So with 0.3a1 you don't need 10 different calendars just for colorizing
anymore.

--
Simon Paquet

On 05.12.2005 12:34 UK Time, Simon Paquet wrote:

> Herbert Eppel wrote on 05.12.2005:
>
>> I created a new profile, thanks, and I started importing some 0.2 ICS
>> files, but it would appear that the colours of the different ICS files
>> are not imported.
>>
>> I have 10 ICS files - I don't really need 10 calendar files, but as
>> far as I am aware this is the only way to use *colour* for
>> distinguishing different calendars.
>

> Sunbird 0.3a1 allows you to assign colors to different calendar categories
> (i.e. Birthday, Business, Private, ...) and to create new categories for
> your own special purposes.
>
> So with 0.3a1 you don't need 10 different calendars just for colorizing
> anymore.

Splendid, thank you.

I'll investigate and probably come back with a couple more questions
under a different heading - the current one is out of date now :-)

Regards

Herbert Eppel
--
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Re: Can't see my calendar data in 0.3a1

Dominik Seelow
Simon Paquet wrote:

> Sunbird 0.3a1 allows you to assign colors to different calendar categories
> (i.e. Birthday, Business, Private, ...) and to create new categories for
> your own special purposes.
>
> So with 0.3a1 you don't need 10 different calendars just for colorizing
> anymore.

And since you can use CSS, you can even change other attributes than
only the colour, i.e. use background images, thicker borders, rounded
corners etc...
There's an example in the FAQs:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:FAQ#How_can_I_assign_colours_to_event_categories.3F

Cheers,
Dominik

Simon Paquet wrote:
> Sunbird 0.3a1 allows you to assign colors to different calendar
> categories...and to create new categories...

Sunbird 0.2 allows those things, too.  In 0.3a1 a new user interface
makes them easier, but they are not new features.

--
Rod Whiteley

Rod Whiteley wrote on 05.12.2005:

>> Sunbird 0.3a1 allows you to assign colors to different calendar
>> categories...and to create new categories...
>
> Sunbird 0.2 allows those things, too.  In 0.3a1 a new user interface
> makes them easier, but they are not new features.

I know, but for most people things aren't there, if they aren't
accessible
in the GUI.

--
Simon Paquet