Can't download from Teranews

Stan-7
I use Teranews (paying user) for a few news groups. Sometime in the past
few weeks teranews has made changes to their servers and now I cannot
download any news headers from news.teranews.com.

Is anyone else having this problem or been successful?  I've tried
deleting my teranews entry, clearing my cache, and then creating a new
teranews entry (at teranews' suggestion) but this didn't fix the problem.

Is there possibly something else I need to delete before adding teranews
back again?

Thanks for any help.
Stan

Oh yeah, I am using Mozilla 1.7.12.

Re: Can't download from Teranews

michael_f-2
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 04:23:01 GMT, Stan said...

>I use Teranews (paying user) for a few news groups. Sometime in the past
>few weeks teranews has made changes to their servers and now I cannot
>download any news headers from news.teranews.com.
>
>Is anyone else having this problem or been successful?  I've tried
>deleting my teranews entry, clearing my cache, and then creating a new
>teranews entry (at teranews' suggestion) but this didn't fix the problem.
>
>Is there possibly something else I need to delete before adding teranews
>back again?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>Stan
>
>Oh yeah, I am using Mozilla 1.7.12.

Re: Can't download from Teranews

michael_f-2
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 04:23:01 GMT, Stan said...

>I use Teranews (paying user) for a few news groups. Sometime in the past
>few weeks teranews has made changes to their servers and now I cannot
>download any news headers from news.teranews.com.
>
>Is anyone else having this problem or been successful?  I've tried
>deleting my teranews entry, clearing my cache, and then creating a new
>teranews entry (at teranews' suggestion) but this didn't fix the problem.
>
>Is there possibly something else I need to delete before adding teranews
>back again?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>Stan
>
>Oh yeah, I am using Mozilla 1.7.12.

Hi Stan,

I've run across similar comments in a few other newsgroups that I frequent, and
from I gathered, Teranews seems to be limiting the type of newsreader programs
that their servers will support. As an example, someone had noted that they had
receive a response from Teranews' support staff indicating that they would not
be supporting the MS Outlook reader. I don't personally use MS Outlook, but it's
one of the more popular readers, so their decision doesn't make much sense.

Not sure if this relates to your situation, but if it does, you may want to
consider some of the other news services out there. I'm with Newsguy for
example, and I can connect with any newsreader I choose.

Michael

FoxWolfie Galen wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 04:23:01 GMT, Stan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>I use Teranews (paying user) for a few news groups. Sometime in the past
>>few weeks teranews has made changes to their servers and now I cannot
>>download any news headers from news.teranews.com.
>

>>Is anyone else having this problem or been successful?  I've tried
>>deleting my teranews entry, clearing my cache, and then creating a new
>>teranews entry (at teranews' suggestion) but this didn't fix the problem.
>

> Teranews moved their servers around the beginning of the month. The message
> numbers in all of the groups has changed. The new message numbers are lower
> than what the old ones were. Most newsreaders don't like that, and refuse
> to download headers.
>
> See if there is a "catch-up" option for each group. After doing that,
> everything should start working again. If that does not work, you may have
> to unsubscribe and resubscribe to the groups that are not working. The
> problem comes when you attempt to download headers spanning the point where
> the numbering went from high to low, which was over a week ago.
>
> I use Forte Agent 1.93 for my news reading, which works well with teranews.
> I just had to re-initialize my groups. This problem should go away as the
> transition to the new numbers scrolls out of teranews' server.

I tried the unsubscribing and resubscribing and it didn't help the
problem. I was wondering if I needed to delete some Mozilla file(s) to
make sure the old numbers are gone. I remember something like this in
the earlier days of Netscape.

Re: Can't download from Teranews

Rich-15
Stan wrote:

> FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 04:23:01 GMT, Stan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>>I use Teranews (paying user) for a few news groups. Sometime in the past
>>>few weeks teranews has made changes to their servers and now I cannot
>>>download any news headers from news.teranews.com.
>>

>>>Is anyone else having this problem or been successful?  I've tried
>>>deleting my teranews entry, clearing my cache, and then creating a new
>>>teranews entry (at teranews' suggestion) but this didn't fix the problem.
>>

>> Teranews moved their servers around the beginning of the month. The message
>> numbers in all of the groups has changed. The new message numbers are lower
>> than what the old ones were. Most newsreaders don't like that, and refuse
>> to download headers.
>>
>> See if there is a "catch-up" option for each group. After doing that,
>> everything should start working again. If that does not work, you may have
>> to unsubscribe and resubscribe to the groups that are not working. The
>> problem comes when you attempt to download headers spanning the point where
>> the numbering went from high to low, which was over a week ago.
>>
>> I use Forte Agent 1.93 for my news reading, which works well with teranews.
>> I just had to re-initialize my groups. This problem should go away as the
>> transition to the new numbers scrolls out of teranews' server.
>
> I tried the unsubscribing and resubscribing and it didn't help the
> problem. I was wondering if I needed to delete some Mozilla file(s) to
> make sure the old numbers are gone. I remember something like this in
> the earlier days of Netscape.

As a suggestion, close N.S. and look in your Profile folder; within the
****.slt file you'll see "downloads.rdf" and delete it.

Re: Can't download from Teranews

gwtc
Rich wrote:

> Stan wrote:
>
>> FoxWolfie Galen wrote:

>>> Teranews moved their servers around the beginning of the month. The
>>> message
>>> numbers in all of the groups has changed. The new message numbers are
>>> lower
>>> than what the old ones were. Most newsreaders don't like that, and
>>> refuse
>>> to download headers.
>>>
>>> See if there is a "catch-up" option for each group. After doing that,
>>> everything should start working again. If that does not work, you may
>>> have
>>> to unsubscribe and resubscribe to the groups that are not working. The
>>> problem comes when you attempt to download headers spanning the point
>>> where
>>> the numbering went from high to low, which was over a week ago.
>>>
>>> I use Forte Agent 1.93 for my news reading, which works well with
>>> teranews.
>>> I just had to re-initialize my groups. This problem should go away as
>>> the
>>> transition to the new numbers scrolls out of teranews' server.
>>

>> I tried the unsubscribing and resubscribing and it didn't help the
>> problem. I was wondering if I needed to delete some Mozilla file(s) to
>> make sure the old numbers are gone. I remember something like this in
>> the earlier days of Netscape.
>

> As a suggestion, close N.S. and look in your Profile folder; within the
> ****.slt file you'll see "downloads.rdf" and delete it.
I could be wrong on this, but downloads.rdf only applies to when
you're downloading files and programs.  It doesn't apply to
downloading newsgroup messages or even emails.

gwtc wrote:

> Rich wrote:
>
>> Stan wrote:

>>> I tried the unsubscribing and resubscribing and it didn't help the
>>> problem. I was wondering if I needed to delete some Mozilla file(s)
>>> to make sure the old numbers are gone. I remember something like this
>>> in the earlier days of Netscape.
>>

>> As a suggestion, close N.S. and look in your Profile folder; within the
>> ****.slt file you'll see "downloads.rdf" and delete it.
>
> I could be wrong on this, but downloads.rdf only applies to when you're
> downloading files and programs.  It doesn't apply to downloading
> newsgroup messages or even emails.

What about the MSF and RC files associated with the news.teranews.com
server?  I notice that when I remove the teranews server that there are
copies of these files that are kept. Could it be that if I add the
news.teranews.com server that these older files are incorporated thus
picking up old info instead of new info?  Teranews says there is a
problem with the message numbers being changed since they went to a new
server.

Could it be that I need to delete these old files?

Stan wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>> Rich wrote:

>>> As a suggestion, close N.S. and look in your Profile folder; within the
>>> ****.slt file you'll see "downloads.rdf" and delete it.
>>

>> I could be wrong on this, but downloads.rdf only applies to when
>> you're downloading files and programs.  It doesn't apply to
>> downloading newsgroup messages or even emails.
>

> What about the MSF and RC files associated with the news.teranews.com
> server?  I notice that when I remove the teranews server that there are
> copies of these files that are kept. Could it be that if I add the
> news.teranews.com server that these older files are incorporated thus
> picking up old info instead of new info?  Teranews says there is a
> problem with the message numbers being changed since they went to a new
> server.
>
> Could it be that I need to delete these old files?
You know, that could be.  Everytime I've remove a news server or
removed a newsgroup, I've always had to manually remove the left overs
in the profile.  So, that could be your answer.  Try it and see what
happens.

gwtc wrote:

> Rich wrote:
>
>> Stan wrote:

>>> I tried the unsubscribing and resubscribing and it didn't help the
>>> problem. I was wondering if I needed to delete some Mozilla file(s) to
>>> make sure the old numbers are gone. I remember something like this in
>>> the earlier days of Netscape.
>>

>> As a suggestion, close N.S. and look in your Profile folder; within the
>> ****.slt file you'll see "downloads.rdf" and delete it.
> I could be wrong on this, but downloads.rdf only applies to when
> you're downloading files and programs.  It doesn't apply to
> downloading newsgroup messages or even emails.

Getting rid of downloads.rdf is what worked on my machine when I had the
same problem.  As a general housekeeping measure, I'll routinely delete:
history.dat, xul.mfl, the cache folder, downloads.rdf and compreg.dat in
the programs file in the mozilla - components subheaders.
You never mentioned trying it, so why so sure it won't work???

Rich wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>> Rich wrote:

>>> As a suggestion, close N.S. and look in your Profile folder; within the
>>> ****.slt file you'll see "downloads.rdf" and delete it.
>>
>> I could be wrong on this, but downloads.rdf only applies to when
>> you're downloading files and programs.  It doesn't apply to
>> downloading newsgroup messages or even emails.
>

> Getting rid of downloads.rdf is what worked on my machine when I had the
> same problem.  As a general housekeeping measure, I'll routinely delete:
> history.dat, xul.mfl, the cache folder, downloads.rdf and compreg.dat in
> the programs file in the mozilla - components subheaders.
> You never mentioned trying it, so why so sure it won't work???
You're talking about FF and the OP was talking about downloading
newsgroup messages.  Furthermore, I was right.  The downloads.rdf only
applies to downloading files and the download manager.  Its part of FF
and not TB: http://gemal.dk/mozilla/files.html.  It has nothing to do
with downloading email/newsgroup messages.

gwtc wrote:

> Rich wrote:
>
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> I could be wrong on this, but downloads.rdf only applies to when
>>> you're downloading files and programs.  It doesn't apply to
>>> downloading newsgroup messages or even emails.
>>

>> Getting rid of downloads.rdf is what worked on my machine when I had the
>> same problem.  As a general housekeeping measure, I'll routinely delete:
>> history.dat, xul.mfl, the cache folder, downloads.rdf and compreg.dat in
>> the programs file in the mozilla - components subheaders.
>> You never mentioned trying it, so why so sure it won't work???
> You're talking about FF and the OP was talking about downloading
> newsgroup messages.  Furthermore, I was right.  The downloads.rdf only
> applies to downloading files and the download manager.  Its part of FF
> and not TB: http://gemal.dk/mozilla/files.html.  It has nothing to do
> with downloading email/newsgroup messages.
I don't even use FF, but don't intend to have a pissing contest with
you.  If you know so much, then fix his damn problem and get off my back
about it.

gwtc wrote:

> Stan wrote:
>
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> I could be wrong on this, but downloads.rdf only applies to when
>>> you're downloading files and programs.  It doesn't apply to
>>> downloading newsgroup messages or even emails.
>>

>> What about the MSF and RC files associated with the news.teranews.com
>> server?  I notice that when I remove the teranews server that there
>> are copies of these files that are kept. Could it be that if I add the
>> news.teranews.com server that these older files are incorporated thus
>> picking up old info instead of new info?  Teranews says there is a
>> problem with the message numbers being changed since they went to a
>> new server.
>>
>> Could it be that I need to delete these old files?
>
> You know, that could be.  Everytime I've remove a news server or removed
> a newsgroup, I've always had to manually remove the left overs in the
> profile.  So, that could be your answer.  Try it and see what happens.

I tried it and it didn't work.  Damn teranews.  I let them know so guess
I'll have to see if they ever get around to finding out what it is.
Thanks for your help.  I do have access to the Road Runner news server
but they were not
picking up all the updates so I added teranews to see if they did better
(which they did).

Stan wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>> Stan wrote:

>>> What about the MSF and RC files associated with the news.teranews.com
>>> server?  I notice that when I remove the teranews server that there
>>> are copies of these files that are kept. Could it be that if I add
>>> the news.teranews.com server that these older files are incorporated
>>> thus picking up old info instead of new info?  Teranews says there is
>>> a problem with the message numbers being changed since they went to a
>>> new server.
>>>
>>> Could it be that I need to delete these old files?
>>

>> You know, that could be.  Everytime I've remove a news server or
>> removed a newsgroup, I've always had to manually remove the left overs
>> in the profile.  So, that could be your answer.  Try it and see what
>> happens.
>

> I tried it and it didn't work.  Damn teranews.  I let them know so guess
> I'll have to see if they ever get around to finding out what it is.
> Thanks for your help.  I do have access to the Road Runner news server
> but they were not
> picking up all the updates so I added teranews to see if they did better
> (which they did).
In some of the other newsgroups I've been visiting lately, some about
newsgroup servers, tera seems to be the number one complaint.  And its
not just TB having the problems, its also other readers.  Tera says to
use O/OE but others using those are having problems, too.