Can support for non-basic entities be removed from the serializers?

Can support for non-basic entities be removed from the serializers?

Henri Sivonen
Web-exposed serializers only need to support these "basic" entities: lt,
gt, amp, quot, nbsp.

The serializers in the mozilla-central codebase can be configured to
emit larger sets called OutputEncodeLatin1Entities,
OutputEncodeHTMLEntities and OutputEncodeW3CEntities. These options
don't allow the serializers to express anything they couldn't express
using numeric character references or using UTF-8. These options are
purely about the aesthetics of the serializer output.

As far as I can tell, no product code in Firefox ever enables the use of
these larger sets.

Are there non-Firefox products that really need this configurability for
their serializer output?

If there's no product code outside Firefox using these options, I'd like
to remove the configuration options and the data they use.

If there is product code outside Firefox using these options, it would
be nice if the users of these options could help identify which ones of
these options they are using and could help with disentangling the
relevant code from the old parser. Even better if we could make the
footprint improvement of not putting these features in Firefox even if
they stay in XULRunner.

--
Henri Sivonen
[hidden email]