Can profile data in SMPmW118, the current profile data in SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12 be merged?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can profile data in SMPmW118, the current profile data in SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12 be merged?

Christer Jacobsson
As Salaam Aleikum!

I haven't done the migration stuff yet as I have used my spare time and
a little help from a guy from my "boendestöd" (living suport?) to
install and get my new TiVo box running here. But I plan to try to do
the migration from SMPmW118 via SM 2.1 to SM 2.7.2 after the next FULL
backup which is run every Saturday at 07:00: all the profiles will be
backed up so I can 'rollback' them if sometbing goes seriously wrong.
But I have a question about this migration: I have collected bookmarks,
passwords and the like in SMPmW118, SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12 - is there
any possibility to so to speak 'merge' the stored info in the different
profiles that exist for SMPmW118, SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12 so I can have
ALL this infomrmation stored in ONE profile in SM 2.1 -> SM 2.7.2?

If this is not possible, could I import the stuff in FF 10.0.2 to SM
2.1, or should I do the importing when I have SM 2.7.2 up and running?


Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 17th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
       Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
       Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
       Team DRW     - Dare Refuse Windows
       Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can profile data in SMPmW118, the current profile data in SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12 be merged?

Steve Wendt
On 12/3/2013 5:56 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> But I have a question about this migration: I have collected bookmarks,
> passwords and the like in SMPmW118, SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12 - is there
> any possibility to so to speak 'merge' the stored info in the different
> profiles that exist for SMPmW118, SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12 so I can have
> ALL this infomrmation stored in ONE profile in SM 2.1 -> SM 2.7.2?

It's easy to import/export bookmarks in the newer versions.  Passwords
may require doing some SQLite editing, unless you can find an addon that
manages that (seems likely to exist).

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can profile data in SMPmW118, the current profile data in SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12 be merged?

Christer Jacobsson
On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 02:18:49 UTC, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 12/3/2013 5:56 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>
> > But I have a question about this migration: I have collected bookmarks,
> > passwords and the like in SMPmW118, SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12 - is there
> > any possibility to so to speak 'merge' the stored info in the different
> > profiles that exist for SMPmW118, SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12 so I can have
> > ALL this infomrmation stored in ONE profile in SM 2.1 -> SM 2.7.2?
>
> It's easy to import/export bookmarks in the newer versions.  Passwords
> may require doing some SQLite editing, unless you can find an addon that
> manages that (seems likely to exist).
>

If I'm interpret what you said above correctly, then i should NOT begin
the migration process by killing the SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12, profiles
but just deinstall the programs which, according to the readme files,
will leave the profiles left behind. So I shound begin migrating from
SMPmW118 (or should I migrate from the really old Mozilla instead?)
with SM 2.1. When that is done successfully, should I then use the
SM 2.1 and import data from the SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12 profiles
or should I first migrate from 2.1 to 2.7.2 and THEN do the
import stuff?


Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan


--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 17th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
       Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
       Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
       Team DRW     - Dare Refuse Windows
       Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can profile data in SMPmW118, the current profile data in SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12 be merged?

Steve Wendt
On 12/4/2013 5:19 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> If I'm interpret what you said above correctly, then i should NOT begin
> the migration process by killing the SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12, profiles
> but just deinstall the programs which, according to the readme files,
> will leave the profiles left behind.

There is no uninstall on OS/2, but if I understand correctly what you
are trying to do:

1) In the newer SeaMonkey version you are using, export any relevant
data; for bookmarks you can do this from the bookmark manager, for
passwords and other bits you may need to find an addon, or configure
Sync and save it "in the cloud"

2) Remove the newer version and profile data

3) Use SeaMonkey 2.1 to migrate your SeaMonkey 1.x profile

4) Use latest SeaMonkey to upgrade your SeaMonkey 2.x profile

5) Import your saved bookmarks from step 1, and/or configure Sync to
download the data you saved

6) Optional: get rid of old versions and old profiles

Honestly, you seem to spend more time asking these questions then it
would take to experiment on your own.  Just backup your data, and if it
all blows up, start over.

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can profile data in SMPmW118, the current profile data in SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12 be merged?

Ray Davison
In reply to this post by Christer Jacobsson
Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>
> i should NOT begin
> the migration process by killing the SM 2.7.2 and FF 10.0.12, profiles
> but just deinstall the programs which, according to the readme files,
> will leave the profiles left behind.

With Mozilla products you never need to "kill" or "deinstall" anything.
  You can have as many versions of the apps and profiles as you have
room on the HDD; and use each of them as you chose.

On this machine I currently have a total of twelve SM/TB/FF profiles,
and a total of fifteen SM/TB/FF apps, counting both OS/2 and Win
versions.  OS/2 and Win use the same profile files.  I once had twenty
SM when I was looking for the date/time of a bug creation.

I never "upgrade" a Mozilla app.  That destroys the previous and you
might not want or be able to use the new one.  The new version gets a
new tree, and I only delete the older when I decide I don't want it any
more.

Ray

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2