Can not decrypt messages in Thunderbird until click in "Repair message"

Can not decrypt messages in Thunderbird until click in "Repair message"

cristian.barrientos1401
Hi,

Since I'm using an Outlook account in my enterprise, me and all my colleagues can not decrypt messages until click in "Repair message". The error says something about PGP/MIME message broken by MS-Exchange.

How can we deal with it? There are some workaround for not need to click "repair message" in all of our received messages?

May be there are not a final solution yet, but maybe someone know how to automatically repair messages that are broken, because after click on "Repair message" all works properly and we can read our encrypted messages, but is very tedious click on "Repair message" in all of our received mails.

Thanks in advance,

Cristian

Re: Can not decrypt messages in Thunderbird until click in "Repair message"

Ryan Sipes
Hi Cristian,

This really isn't the right place to ask this question. My advice is to
ask it in the support list: [hidden email]

Ryan Sipes
Community Manager
Thunderbird

On 11/29/18 12:54 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since I'm using an Outlook account in my enterprise, me and all my colleagues can not decrypt messages until click in "Repair message". The error says something about PGP/MIME message broken by MS-Exchange.
>
> How can we deal with it? There are some workaround for not need to click "repair message" in all of our received messages?
>
> May be there are not a final solution yet, but maybe someone know how to automatically repair messages that are broken, because after click on "Repair message" all works properly and we can read our encrypted messages, but is very tedious click on "Repair message" in all of our received mails.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Cristian

Re: Can not decrypt messages in Thunderbird until click in "Repair message"

Jörg Knobloch
On 29/11/2018 08:54, [hidden email] wrote:
> Since I'm using an Outlook account in my enterprise, me and all my colleagues can not decrypt messages until click in "Repair message". The error says something about PGP/MIME message broken by MS-Exchange.
>
> How can we deal with it? There are some workaround for not need to click "repair message" in all of our received messages?
>
> May be there are not a final solution yet, but maybe someone know how to automatically repair messages that are broken, because after click on "Repair message" all works properly and we can read our encrypted messages, but is very tedious click on "Repair message" in all of our received mails.

To my knowledge, there is no "Repair message" function in Thunderbird.
So which software offers that? Enigmail? Then you'd have to talk to its
author.

Jörg.

Re: Can not decrypt messages in Thunderbird until click in "Repair message"

Patrick Brunschwig-3
On 29.11.18 08:54, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since I'm using an Outlook account in my enterprise, me and all my colleagues can not decrypt messages until click in "Repair message". The error says something about PGP/MIME message broken by MS-Exchange.

That function is specific to Enigmail, and not part of Thunderbird.

> How can we deal with it? There are some workaround for not need to click "repair message" in all of our received messages?
>
> May be there are not a final solution yet, but maybe someone know how to automatically repair messages that are broken, because after click on "Repair message" all works properly and we can read our encrypted messages, but is very tedious click on "Repair message" in all of our received mails.

There is no other option than that. Exchange modifies the messages in a
way that makes it impossible for Enigmail to process it. Detection of
such messages is not reliable. Even if it works in 100% of the cases for
you - there are many scenarios where the message is OK, but Enigmail yet
thinks it may be broken. And repairing such messages would actually
break them.

It's therefore far too dangerous to repair such messages automatically.

-Patrick