Can always tell when a new version has been released

1234 ... 47

Can always tell when a new version has been released

F1Com
Because users have addons being disabled, toolbars disappear, sites
don't open any longer, etc, etc.

"Silent" updates?  Hasn't happened yet.

Re: Can always tell when a new version has been released

responder-2
On 11/21/2012 9:43 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Because users have addons being disabled, toolbars disappear, sites
> don't open any longer, etc, etc.
>
> "Silent" updates?  Hasn't happened yet.

Not only that and I know the loyalist will quickly respond, but I duly
upgraded to 17 when my reminder popped up.

Besides the inane changes which to me have no logical meaning, the
single biggest problem I am experiencing is that it slowed down the
access and loading to an absolute crawl.
Yes, I have plenty of resources, etc...don't need to go there.

So, I opened the crappy IE 8 and bingo...everything sped along as it
used to.

Then downgraded to 16.0.2 and within 60 seconds was back to normal.
Zippy, speedy access and loading.

I don't have the talent to be a developer and I suppose maybe because my
ego isn't nearly large enough to want to push my thoughts unilaterally
onto everyone else.

Why, Why, Why???

Re: Can always tell when a new version has been released

Jay Garcia
On 21.11.2012 09:08, responder wrote:

>> Because users have addons being disabled, toolbars disappear, sites
>> don't open any longer, etc, etc.
>>
>> "Silent" updates?  Hasn't happened yet.
>>

> Not only that and I know the loyalist will quickly respond, but I duly
> upgraded to 17 when my reminder popped up.
>
> Besides the inane changes which to me have no logical meaning, the
> single biggest problem I am experiencing is that it slowed down the
> access and loading to an absolute crawl.
> Yes, I have plenty of resources, etc...don't need to go there.
>
> So, I opened the crappy IE 8 and bingo...everything sped along as it
> used to.
>
> Then downgraded to 16.0.2 and within 60 seconds was back to normal.
> Zippy, speedy access and loading.
>
> I don't have the talent to be a developer and I suppose maybe because my
> ego isn't nearly large enough to want to push my thoughts unilaterally
> onto everyone else.
>
> Why, Why, Why???

You're not alone, same thing here with 17 final release. My security
camera app doesn't like FF 17. Backed down to 16.0.2 and all is back to
normal.

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Re: Can always tell when a new version has been released

WaltS-3
On 11/21/2012 10:08 AM, responder wrote:

>> Because users have addons being disabled, toolbars disappear, sites
>> don't open any longer, etc, etc.
>>
>> "Silent" updates?  Hasn't happened yet.
>>

> Not only that and I know the loyalist will quickly respond, but I duly
> upgraded to 17 when my reminder popped up.
>
> Besides the inane changes which to me have no logical meaning, the
> single biggest problem I am experiencing is that it slowed down the
> access and loading to an absolute crawl.
> Yes, I have plenty of resources, etc...don't need to go there.
>
> So, I opened the crappy IE 8 and bingo...everything sped along as it
> used to.
>
> Then downgraded to 16.0.2 and within 60 seconds was back to normal.
> Zippy, speedy access and loading.
>
> I don't have the talent to be a developer and I suppose maybe because my
> ego isn't nearly large enough to want to push my thoughts unilaterally
> onto everyone else.
>
> Why, Why, Why???

Why not troubleshoot, and find out? Here is a link to Mozilla Support
about Firefox is slow.

http://mzl.la/PMJRIb

On 11/21/2012 10:13 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 21.11.2012 09:08, responder wrote:

I wonder if it because of the change in the UA string.

They did have to add several overrides to get some banks web sites to
work, I had to add one to get my public transportation authorities site
to work.

general.useragent.override.portauthority.org   Gecko/[^ ]*#Gecko/20100101

Don't know how you would add one for an application.

On 21.11.2012 09:38, WaltS wrote:

> On 11/21/2012 10:13 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 21.11.2012 09:08, responder wrote:

The upgrade to 20.0.a1 came in a little while ago and seems to be
working just fine - all addons/plugins are still working and the
security app is working as well.

On 11/21/2012 11:17 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 21.11.2012 09:38, WaltS wrote:

That is interesting.

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit) KDE 4.9.2
Thunderbird Release

Re: Can always tell when a new version has been released

jetjock
responder wrote:

>> Because users have addons being disabled, toolbars disappear, sites
>> don't open any longer, etc, etc.
>>
>> "Silent" updates?  Hasn't happened yet.
>>

> Not only that and I know the loyalist will quickly respond, but I duly
> upgraded to 17 when my reminder popped up.
>
> Besides the inane changes which to me have no logical meaning, the
> single biggest problem I am experiencing is that it slowed down the
> access and loading to an absolute crawl.
> Yes, I have plenty of resources, etc...don't need to go there.
>
> So, I opened the crappy IE 8 and bingo...everything sped along as it
> used to.
>
> Then downgraded to 16.0.2 and within 60 seconds was back to normal.
> Zippy, speedy access and loading.
>
> I don't have the talent to be a developer and I suppose maybe because
> my ego isn't nearly large enough to want to push my thoughts
> unilaterally onto everyone else.
>
> Why, Why, Why???

And yet, there are still folks in this group who just can't understand
why people like me will not jump on the auto-update bandwagon!
We get accused of endangering the entire Internet by not having the
latest and greatest "security" upgrades! Me, I'll stick with what I
know works. That said, I _*am*_ extremely greatfull to all you folks
that do the beta checking of the new releases so when I do update,
I know that version works.  :-)

On 11/21/2012 10:13 AM, WaltS wrote:

> On 11/21/2012 10:08 AM, responder wrote:
>>> Because users have addons being disabled, toolbars disappear, sites
>>> don't open any longer, etc, etc.
>>>
>>> "Silent" updates?  Hasn't happened yet.
>>>

>> Not only that and I know the loyalist will quickly respond, but I duly
>> upgraded to 17 when my reminder popped up.
>>
>> Besides the inane changes which to me have no logical meaning, the
>> single biggest problem I am experiencing is that it slowed down the
>> access and loading to an absolute crawl.
>> Yes, I have plenty of resources, etc...don't need to go there.
>>
>> So, I opened the crappy IE 8 and bingo...everything sped along as it
>> used to.
>>
>> Then downgraded to 16.0.2 and within 60 seconds was back to normal.
>> Zippy, speedy access and loading.
>>
>> I don't have the talent to be a developer and I suppose maybe because my
>> ego isn't nearly large enough to want to push my thoughts unilaterally
>> onto everyone else.
>>
>> Why, Why, Why???
>
> Why not troubleshoot, and find out? Here is a link to Mozilla Support
> about Firefox is slow.
>
> http://mzl.la/PMJRIb

I do appreciate your interest, but I have been around since the
beginning of Netscape/Prodigy/Compuserve, etc.
I've been there and done that.

Why should it be my  task to uncover deficiencies and bugs in an ongoing
program that perhaps only needed to be updated for security purposes.
I'm not a programmer and shouldn't have to be on a scavenger hunt to
make a program that previously worked...continue to work.
Every time I experience this nonsense, I hear from my wife asking why I
changed something. Perhaps I'll suggest some of the fixes posted here
and tell her to figure it out.

Remember, most all the readers and posters on these sites are somewhat
above the average bear. What about the zillions who barely know how to
push a button after they've figured out which one to push.
As result of this nonsense, with each iteration I get calls from all my
friends that I moved into Firefox asking me what to do. If I did this
for profit, I would be pleased, but when it is all gratis, not so hot.

Enough with the esthetics...let them concentrate on the functionality
and leave the designing to Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom.

Re: Can always tell when a new version has been released

David E. Ross-3
On 11/21/12 6:43 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Because users have addons being disabled, toolbars disappear, sites
> don't open any longer, etc, etc.
>
> "Silent" updates?  Hasn't happened yet.

See <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/familiar-design.html>.  What Jakob
Nielsen says there under "Why Users Want Familiar Design" applies not
only to the design of Web pages but also to Internet applications,
including Firefox and Thunderbird.  At least SeaMonkey seems to have a
more stable user interface.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross

On 11/21/2012 12:46 PM, responder wrote:

> On 11/21/2012 10:13 AM, WaltS wrote:

>>> Not only that and I know the loyalist will quickly respond, but I duly
>>> upgraded to 17 when my reminder popped up.
>>>
>>> Besides the inane changes which to me have no logical meaning, the
>>> single biggest problem I am experiencing is that it slowed down the
>>> access and loading to an absolute crawl.
>>> Yes, I have plenty of resources, etc...don't need to go there.
>>>
>>> So, I opened the crappy IE 8 and bingo...everything sped along as it
>>> used to.
>>>
>>> Then downgraded to 16.0.2 and within 60 seconds was back to normal.
>>> Zippy, speedy access and loading.
>>>
>>> I don't have the talent to be a developer and I suppose maybe because my
>>> ego isn't nearly large enough to want to push my thoughts unilaterally
>>> onto everyone else.
>>>
>>> Why, Why, Why???
>>
>> Why not troubleshoot, and find out? Here is a link to Mozilla Support
>> about Firefox is slow.
>>
>> http://mzl.la/PMJRIb
>

> I do appreciate your interest, but I have been around since the
> beginning of Netscape/Prodigy/Compuserve, etc.
> I've been there and done that.

Same here.

> Why should it be my  task to uncover deficiencies and bugs in an ongoing
> program that perhaps only needed to be updated for security purposes.

Because it is Firefox on your system that is having the problem.

I'm not having any problems with Firefox or Thunderbird 17.0 versions,
and I'm sure millions of others using them are not either.

Not saying some users don't or won't have problems. Their choice to
troubleshoot or not. I know I would, and have.

> I'm not a programmer and shouldn't have to be on a scavenger hunt to
> make a program that previously worked...continue to work.
> Every time I experience this nonsense, I hear from my wife asking why I
> changed something. Perhaps I'll suggest some of the fixes posted here
> and tell her to figure it out.

A "Reset Firefox" might solve your problems. Only you know how long you
have been using the same profile. I found it fixed some of mine.

> Remember, most all the readers and posters on these sites are somewhat
> above the average bear. What about the zillions who barely know how to
> push a button after they've figured out which one to push.
> As result of this nonsense, with each iteration I get calls from all my
> friends that I moved into Firefox asking me what to do. If I did this
> for profit, I would be pleased, but when it is all gratis, not so hot.

Some of the "somewhat above the average bear" posters, seem to dredge up
the same old Knowledge Base articles, with somewhat outdated
information. Sort of like a Linux supporter telling a user to use CLI
commands to fix problems.

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit) KDE 4.9.2
Thunderbird Release
Why are you punishing me for ignoring the rules?

Re: Can always tell when a new version has been released

s|b-2
On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 06:43:28 -0800, [hidden email] wrote:

> Because users have addons being disabled, toolbars disappear, sites
> don't open any longer, etc, etc.
>
> "Silent" updates?  Hasn't happened yet.

No problems here...

--
s|b

Re: Can always tell when a new version has been released

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Jay Garcia graced us with on
11/21/2012 7:13 AM:

> On 21.11.2012 09:08, responder wrote:

Don't have a security camera app but I haven't noticed any performance
issue with 17.0. I don't use new profile files but, instead, simply
copied my previous ones over. I wonder if this may have something to do
with it?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: Can always tell when a new version has been released

»Q«
On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 12:46:18 -0500
responder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/21/2012 10:13 AM, WaltS wrote:

> >> Not only that and I know the loyalist will quickly respond, but I
> >> duly upgraded to 17 when my reminder popped up.
> >>
> >> Besides the inane changes which to me have no logical meaning, the
> >> single biggest problem I am experiencing is that it slowed down the
> >> access and loading to an absolute crawl.
> >> Yes, I have plenty of resources, etc...don't need to go there.
> >>
> >> So, I opened the crappy IE 8 and bingo...everything sped along as
> >> it used to.
> >>
> >> Then downgraded to 16.0.2 and within 60 seconds was back to normal.
> >> Zippy, speedy access and loading.
> >>
> >> I don't have the talent to be a developer and I suppose maybe
> >> because my ego isn't nearly large enough to want to push my
> >> thoughts unilaterally onto everyone else.
> >>
> >> Why, Why, Why???
> >
> > Why not troubleshoot, and find out? Here is a link to Mozilla
> > Support about Firefox is slow.
> >
> > http://mzl.la/PMJRIb
>
> I do appreciate your interest, but I have been around since the
> beginning of Netscape/Prodigy/Compuserve, etc.
> I've been there and done that.
>
> Why should it be my  task to uncover deficiencies and bugs in an
> ongoing program that perhaps only needed to be updated for security
> purposes.

Why shouldn't it be?

> I'm not a programmer and shouldn't have to be on a scavenger hunt to
> make a program that previously worked...continue to work.

You don't have to help -- you can just wait and hope someone else fixes
the problems you're having or you can use a different browser and hope
its problems don't bother you as much as your current problems.

> Remember, most all the readers and posters on these sites are
> somewhat above the average bear. What about the zillions who barely
> know how to push a button after they've figured out which one to push.

Most of them don't seem to have these showstopping problems.  The ones
who do either find SUMO or e-mail Terry, who is in a constant state of
agitation about their e-mails.

> As result of this nonsense, with each iteration I get calls from all
> my friends that I moved into Firefox asking me what to do. If I did
> this for profit, I would be pleased, but when it is all gratis, not
> so hot.

What do you tell them to do?

> Enough with the esthetics...let them concentrate on the functionality
> and leave the designing to Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom.

I'd rather they continue to work on both form and functionality.

Re: Can always tell when a new version has been released

F1Com
On 11/21/2012 9:46 AM On a whim, responder pounded out on the keyboard

> On 11/21/2012 10:13 AM, WaltS wrote:

> Why should it be my  task to uncover deficiencies and bugs in an ongoing
> program that perhaps only needed to be updated for security purposes.
> I'm not a programmer and shouldn't have to be on a scavenger hunt to
> make a program that previously worked...continue to work.
> Every time I experience this nonsense, I hear from my wife asking why I
> changed something. Perhaps I'll suggest some of the fixes posted here
> and tell her to figure it out.
>
> Remember, most all the readers and posters on these sites are somewhat
> above the average bear. What about the zillions who barely know how to
> push a button after they've figured out which one to push.
> As result of this nonsense, with each iteration I get calls from all my
> friends that I moved into Firefox asking me what to do. If I did this
> for profit, I would be pleased, but when it is all gratis, not so hot.

Some of those "zillions" write in to the Mozilla webmaster (average
30-50 per day), and you're exactly right, they are the ones who "barely
know how to push a button after they've figured out which one to push".

Re: Can always tell when a new version has been released

F1Com
On 11/21/2012 10:17 AM On a whim, WaltS pounded out on the keyboard

>> Why should it be my  task to uncover deficiencies and bugs in an ongoing
>> program that perhaps only needed to be updated for security purposes.
>
> Because it is Firefox on your system that is having the problem.
>
> I'm not having any problems with Firefox or Thunderbird 17.0 versions,
> and I'm sure millions of others using them are not either.

In the same respect, if our small group here has issues, it's likely
then that "millions of others" are also having issues.

> Not saying some users don't or won't have problems. Their choice to
> troubleshoot or not. I know I would, and have.

They would if they knew what what even going on with their computer.  If
Firefox stops working and they open IE and it works, what do you think
they're going to do?

Re: Can always tell when a new version has been released

F1Com
On 11/21/2012 9:03 AM On a whim, jetjock pounded out on the keyboard

> responder wrote:

>>> Because users have addons being disabled, toolbars disappear, sites
>>> don't open any longer, etc, etc.
>>>
>>> "Silent" updates?  Hasn't happened yet.
>>>

>> Not only that and I know the loyalist will quickly respond, but I duly
>> upgraded to 17 when my reminder popped up.
>>
>> Besides the inane changes which to me have no logical meaning, the
>> single biggest problem I am experiencing is that it slowed down the
>> access and loading to an absolute crawl.
>> Yes, I have plenty of resources, etc...don't need to go there.
>>
>> So, I opened the crappy IE 8 and bingo...everything sped along as it
>> used to.
>>
>> Then downgraded to 16.0.2 and within 60 seconds was back to normal.
>> Zippy, speedy access and loading.
>>
>> I don't have the talent to be a developer and I suppose maybe because
>> my ego isn't nearly large enough to want to push my thoughts
>> unilaterally onto everyone else.
>>
>> Why, Why, Why???
>
> And yet, there are still folks in this group who just can't understand
> why people like me will not jump on the auto-update bandwagon!
> We get accused of endangering the entire Internet by not having the
> latest and greatest "security" upgrades! Me, I'll stick with what I
> know works. That said, I _*am*_ extremely greatfull to all you folks
> that do the beta checking of the new releases so when I do update,
> I know that version works.  :-)

I get users all the time demanding to have Firefox stop updating.
Because of how Firefox updates so poorly, users don't want to update at
all.  I can't blame them.

Re: Can always tell when a new version has been released

F1Com
On 11/21/2012 11:15 AM On a whim, s|b pounded out on the keyboard

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 06:43:28 -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Because users have addons being disabled, toolbars disappear, sites
>> don't open any longer, etc, etc.
>>
>> "Silent" updates?  Hasn't happened yet.
>
> No problems here...

 From this thread alone, you're not the majority...

I updated over two dozen workstations on one network, and over half of
the machines required me to do something that shouldn't be required of
an average user.  One kept stating "Apply update" in the About dialog,
even though it stated the version was 17.  Another required 3 tries to
update even though I launched it with Administrator rights each time.

And no, the Maintenance service doesn't seem to work on Limited user
accounts, regardless of the claim.  And yet Chrome updates and no one
ever notices.

The only reason I update this way on network machines is to monitor how
an "average" machine reacts to updates.  Personally, it's faster for me
to download the complete file and install it rather than screwing around
with the poor update mechanism.  And that resolves the frequent firewall
not registering the new file issue also.

On 11/22/2012 10:43 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 11/21/2012 9:03 AM On a whim, jetjock pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> responder wrote:

>>> Not only that and I know the loyalist will quickly respond, but I duly
>>> upgraded to 17 when my reminder popped up.
>>>
>>> Besides the inane changes which to me have no logical meaning, the
>>> single biggest problem I am experiencing is that it slowed down the
>>> access and loading to an absolute crawl.
>>> Yes, I have plenty of resources, etc...don't need to go there.
>>>
>>> So, I opened the crappy IE 8 and bingo...everything sped along as it
>>> used to.
>>>
>>> Then downgraded to 16.0.2 and within 60 seconds was back to normal.
>>> Zippy, speedy access and loading.
>>>
>>> I don't have the talent to be a developer and I suppose maybe because
>>> my ego isn't nearly large enough to want to push my thoughts
>>> unilaterally onto everyone else.
>>>
>>> Why, Why, Why???
>>
>> And yet, there are still folks in this group who just can't understand
>> why people like me will not jump on the auto-update bandwagon!
>> We get accused of endangering the entire Internet by not having the
>> latest and greatest "security" upgrades! Me, I'll stick with what I
>> know works. That said, I _*am*_ extremely greatfull to all you folks
>> that do the beta checking of the new releases so when I do update,
>> I know that version works.  :-)
>>

> I get users all the time demanding to have Firefox stop updating.
> Because of how Firefox updates so poorly, users don't want to update at
> all.  I can't blame them.

Is it how Firefox updates so poorly, or extensions, and themes don't
work because during the 6 week Aurora cycle, and 6 week Beta cycle they
don't test them, and update them to work.

On 11/22/2012 10:57 AM, WaltS wrote:

>>> And yet, there are still folks in this group who just can't understand
>>> why people like me will not jump on the auto-update bandwagon!
>>> We get accused of endangering the entire Internet by not having the
>>> latest and greatest "security" upgrades! Me, I'll stick with what I
>>> know works. That said, I _*am*_ extremely greatfull to all you folks
>>> that do the beta checking of the new releases so when I do update,
>>> I know that version works.  :-)
>>>

>> I get users all the time demanding to have Firefox stop updating.
>> Because of how Firefox updates so poorly, users don't want to update at
>> all.  I can't blame them.
>>

> Is it how Firefox updates so poorly, or extensions, and themes don't
> work because during the 6 week Aurora cycle, and 6 week Beta cycle they
> don't test them, and update them to work.

HUH???
1234 ... 47