Calling Experienced Localizers - Support the Add-ons Localization Campaign!

Calling Experienced Localizers - Support the Add-ons Localization Campaign!

Ruben Martin
Dear localizers,

During the last weeks of June the Add-ons team together with the Open Innovation team plan to run an experimental campaign to help localize the top Firefox Desktop Add-ons into the top 11 languages (languages with the most users).

This is a very exciting moment where we would like to find out whether having add-ons localized drives more user installs. The great thing is that recent research demonstrated that users who install add-ons are way more engaged with the browser, so we can potentially unlock huge value for Firefox through this Campaign!

We are asking for experienced localizers from the following locales: de, fr, es_ES, ru, pt_BR, zh_CN, pl, it, es_MX, ja and nl who will be available in  first week of July, to please sign-up here:

https://goo.gl/forms/uUmad50ggt58l3lO2

The workload would be less than 1000 strings.

Since Pontoon currently can’t handle add-on localization files, we will be using a similar external tool and testing an experimental workflow:

- Any mozillian will be able to suggest new translations (we want to give space to new people)
- Anyone will be able to upvote and downvote suggestions (we want to get more people involved in the quality control)
- We want to rely on you, trusted localizers, to check the reviewed strings and approve them.
- Once the add on is localized, we’ll be asking mozillians to test the add-ons in their language before they launch.

After localization is complete, we will promote these add-ons in their corresponding locales.

If this experimental campaign is successful (whether it can drive new installs), not only will we provide huge value to Firefox Desktop, but we will also be able to make the case for providing a wider and more sustained support of localization to Firefox add-ons.

Isn’t it exciting? :-D

If you’re an experienced localizer whose willing to help please sign-up here:

https://goo.gl/forms/uUmad50ggt58l3lO2

Cheers.

--
Rubén Martín [Nukeador]
Global Communities, Program Manager

Calling Experienced Localizers - Support the Add-ons Localization Campaign!

saeed
Hello, im part of the es-CL l10n team, and i would like to know why are there two spanish translations instead of a single, neutral one.

Re: Calling Experienced Localizers - Support the Add-ons Localization Campaign!

Onno Ekker-2
On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 8:35 PM, Ruben Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear localizers,
>
> During the last weeks of June the Add-ons team together with the Open
> Innovation team plan to run an experimental campaign to help localize the
> top Firefox Desktop Add-ons into the top 11 languages (languages with the
> most users).
>
> This is a very exciting moment where we would like to find out whether
> having add-ons localized drives more user installs. The great thing is that
> recent research demonstrated that users who install add-ons are way more
> engaged with the browser, so we can potentially unlock huge value for
> Firefox through this Campaign!
>
> We are asking for experienced localizers from the following locales: de,
> fr, es_ES, ru, pt_BR, zh_CN, pl, it, es_MX, ja and nl who will be available
> in  first week of July, to please sign-up here:
>
> https://goo.gl/forms/uUmad50ggt58l3lO2
>
> The workload would be less than 1000 strings.
>
> Since Pontoon currently can’t handle add-on localization files, we will be
> using a similar external tool and testing an experimental workflow:
>
> - Any mozillian will be able to suggest new translations (we want to give
> space to new people)
> - Anyone will be able to upvote and downvote suggestions (we want to get
> more people involved in the quality control)
> - We want to rely on you, trusted localizers, to check the reviewed
> strings and approve them.
> - Once the add on is localized, we’ll be asking mozillians to test the
> add-ons in their language before they launch.
>
> After localization is complete, we will promote these add-ons in their
> corresponding locales.
>
> If this experimental campaign is successful (whether it can drive new
> installs), not only will we provide huge value to Firefox Desktop, but we
> will also be able to make the case for providing a wider and more sustained
> support of localization to Firefox add-ons.
>
> Isn’t it exciting? :-D
>
> If you’re an experienced localizer whose willing to help please sign-up
> here:
>
> https://goo.gl/forms/uUmad50ggt58l3lO2
>
> Cheers.

Hi Ruben,

When I go to the sign-up form it looks like you're searching for people to
review the translations, instead of people doing the translations. Am I
reading that right or did I miss something? Is the top n of add-ons already
localized and do you need verification?

Also, if you want more add-ons to be localized, I think it would be a great
step to allow add-on authors to add their add-on to Pontoon somehow, so
localizers can translate the add-on there. Now they have to use another
platform, like BabelZilla, CrowdIn or Transvision, where it is much harder
to find localizers and localizers that are used to Pontoon may find it
easier to localize everything in one place. It would maybe even become
possible to download localizations for installed add-ons from a Mozilla
server whenever a user changes locale, so add-on authors don't need to
package all the locales and locales get updated quicker, without the need
to repackage the add-on and release a new version.

And one last thing. I do have a Pontoon account, but I do all my
localizations for Firefox, SeaMonkey and Thunderbird via Mercurial. I
haven't found a way to see the URL of my Pontoon contributor's profile.

Onno

Re: Calling Experienced Localizers - Support the Add-ons Localization Campaign!

Axel Hecht
Am 06.06.18 um 07:52 schrieb Onno Ekker:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 8:35 PM, Ruben Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Also, if you want more add-ons to be localized, I think it would be a great
> step to allow add-on authors to add their add-on to Pontoon somehow, so
> localizers can translate the add-on there. Now they have to use another
> platform, like BabelZilla, CrowdIn or Transvision, where it is much harder
> to find localizers and localizers that are used to Pontoon may find it
> easier to localize everything in one place. It would maybe even become
> possible to download localizations for installed add-ons from a Mozilla
> server whenever a user changes locale, so add-on authors don't need to
> package all the locales and locales get updated quicker, without the need
> to repackage the add-on and release a new version.

Just picking this snippet:

We need some features in pontoon before we're able to do this:

Notably the feature of "have someone create a project", i.e., we need
more granular permission systems for project managers. We'll likely do
this by introducing a concept of "organizations". The exact details
we'll need to figure out.

We'll also need to decide how we're doing translation memory, once we
have a more diverse set of copyright holders on pontoon.

And we'll need something like a user dashboard, I think. Once you have
more than a few dozen projects, the team dashboard doesn't help you in
most cases.

Once we have that, we'll need to decide if our current instance will be
one or more of the orgs, or if we'd rather have a separate instance for
add-ons.

And we'll need better support for the actual message.json localization
format.

Finding time on the roadmap for these has been proven hard so far, so
they're on the back burner right now. In case you're like me, that's a
kitchen-inspired wording, not a jet-engine one. I find that very confusing.

Axel

Re: Calling Experienced Localizers - Support the Add-ons Localization Campaign!

Roberto Alvarado
Hello Ruben

I just registered.

It was a little complicated discover how to find my username but if you
select your profile since this link:

https://pontoon.mozilla.org/contributors/

They give you the username, something like this:

https://pontoon.mozilla.org/contributors/F-y74uVWni22WWD2-MxORz8VhBk/

A little weird but it works.

Greetings.

> Dear localizers,
>
> During the last weeks of June the Add-ons team together with the Open
> Innovation team plan to run an experimental campaign to help localize the
> top Firefox Desktop Add-ons into the top 11 languages (languages with the
> most users).
>
> This is a very exciting moment where we would like to find out whether
> having add-ons localized drives more user installs. The great thing is that
> recent research demonstrated that users who install add-ons are way more
> engaged with the browser, so we can potentially unlock huge value for
> Firefox through this Campaign!
>
> We are asking for experienced localizers from the following locales: de,
> fr, es_ES, ru, pt_BR, zh_CN, pl, it, es_MX, ja and nl who will be available
> in  first week of July, to please sign-up here:
>
> https://goo.gl/forms/uUmad50ggt58l3lO2
>
> The workload would be less than 1000 strings.
>
> Since Pontoon currently can’t handle add-on localization files, we will be
> using a similar external tool and testing an experimental workflow:
>
> - Any mozillian will be able to suggest new translations (we want to give
> space to new people)
> - Anyone will be able to upvote and downvote suggestions (we want to get
> more people involved in the quality control)
> - We want to rely on you, trusted localizers, to check the reviewed
> strings and approve them.
> - Once the add on is localized, we’ll be asking mozillians to test the
> add-ons in their language before they launch.
>
> After localization is complete, we will promote these add-ons in their
> corresponding locales.
>
> If this experimental campaign is successful (whether it can drive new
> installs), not only will we provide huge value to Firefox Desktop, but we
> will also be able to make the case for providing a wider and more sustained
> support of localization to Firefox add-ons.
>
> Isn’t it exciting? :-D
>
> If you’re an experienced localizer whose willing to help please sign-up
> here:
>
> https://goo.gl/forms/uUmad50ggt58l3lO2
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Rubén Martín [Nukeador]
> Global Communities, Program Manager

Roberto Alvarado.

Re: Calling Experienced Localizers - Support the Add-ons Localization Campaign!

KAMI911 KAMI911
Hi Ruben,

When the Hungarian language can join to languages with the most users for
this campaign?

Best regards,
KAMi

El 06/06/18 a las 07:52, Onno Ekker escribió:
> Hi Ruben,
>
> When I go to the sign-up form it looks like you're searching for people to
> review the translations, instead of people doing the translations. Am I
> reading that right or did I miss something? Is the top n of add-ons already
> localized and do you need verification?
The ask for experienced localizers is just to help with the final
approval process.

In the workflow we are going to set-up, anyone will be able to send
suggestions and upvote them, the task here will be validate this as
final (we want core localizers to provide space and encourage new people
to help with the suggestion and upvoting part)

We will be doing a wider communication to all Mozillians in couple of
weeks to get everyone in these locales involved :-)

Cheers.

> Also, if you want more add-ons to be localized, I think it would be a great
> step to allow add-on authors to add their add-on to Pontoon somehow, so
> localizers can translate the add-on there. Now they have to use another
> platform, like BabelZilla, CrowdIn or Transvision, where it is much harder
> to find localizers and localizers that are used to Pontoon may find it
> easier to localize everything in one place. It would maybe even become
> possible to download localizations for installed add-ons from a Mozilla
> server whenever a user changes locale, so add-on authors don't need to
> package all the locales and locales get updated quicker, without the need
> to repackage the add-on and release a new version.
See Axel explanation about this.

> And one last thing. I do have a Pontoon account, but I do all my
> localizations for Firefox, SeaMonkey and Thunderbird via Mercurial. I
> haven't found a way to see the URL of my Pontoon contributor's profile.
You are right, it's not as easy as I though to get there (you have to
find the link from your locale's contributors page), I'm setting that
question as optional on the form just in case.

--
Rubén Martín [Nukeador]
Mozilla Reps Program Manager

Re: Calling Experienced Localizers - Support the Add-ons Localization Campaign!

Ruben Martin
Hi Kami,

As I commented this is a very limited experimental campaign, and in
order to have the resources to support it (comms, localization, qa,
metrics, promotion...) we had to limit the number of target locales.

We took the decision to go with the 11 locales with more users in
Firefox Desktop.

If this campaign is successful we will be able to make the case for
providing a wider and more sustained localization support to Firefox
add-ons.

Thanks for your understanding!

Cheers.

El 06/06/18 a las 08:55, KAMI911 KAMI911 escribió:

> Hi Ruben,
>
> When the Hungarian language can join to languages with the most users for
> this campaign?
>
> Best regards,
> KAMi
>

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018, 20:40 Ruben Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear localizers,
>>
>> During the last weeks of June the Add-ons team together with the Open
>> Innovation team plan to run an experimental campaign to help localize the
>> top Firefox Desktop Add-ons into the top 11 languages (languages with the
>> most users).
>>
>> This is a very exciting moment where we would like to find out whether
>> having add-ons localized drives more user installs. The great thing is that
>> recent research demonstrated that users who install add-ons are way more
>> engaged with the browser, so we can potentially unlock huge value for
>> Firefox through this Campaign!
>>
>> We are asking for experienced localizers from the following locales: de,
>> fr, es_ES, ru, pt_BR, zh_CN, pl, it, es_MX, ja and nl who will be available
>> in  first week of July, to please sign-up here:
>>
>> https://goo.gl/forms/uUmad50ggt58l3lO2
>>
>> The workload would be less than 1000 strings.
>>
>> Since Pontoon currently can’t handle add-on localization files, we will be
>> using a similar external tool and testing an experimental workflow:
>>
>> - Any mozillian will be able to suggest new translations (we want to give
>> space to new people)
>> - Anyone will be able to upvote and downvote suggestions (we want to get
>> more people involved in the quality control)
>> - We want to rely on you, trusted localizers, to check the reviewed
>> strings and approve them.
>> - Once the add on is localized, we’ll be asking mozillians to test the
>> add-ons in their language before they launch.
>>
>> After localization is complete, we will promote these add-ons in their
>> corresponding locales.
>>
>> If this experimental campaign is successful (whether it can drive new
>> installs), not only will we provide huge value to Firefox Desktop, but we
>> will also be able to make the case for providing a wider and more sustained
>> support of localization to Firefox add-ons.
>>
>> Isn’t it exciting? :-D
>>
>> If you’re an experienced localizer whose willing to help please sign-up
>> here:
>>
>> https://goo.gl/forms/uUmad50ggt58l3lO2
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> --
>> Rubén Martín [Nukeador]
>> Global Communities, Program Manager

Rubén Martín [Nukeador]
Mozilla Reps Program Manager
http://reps.mozilla.org/

Re: Calling Experienced Localizers - Support the Add-ons Localization Campaign!

Rhoslyn Prys-2
If we're interested and not one of the eleven languages can we join the
campaign?

I'm interested and experienced. :-)

Rhos

Ar 05/06/2018 19:35, ysgrifennodd Ruben Martin:

> Dear localizers,
>
> During the last weeks of June the Add-ons team together with the Open Innovation team plan to run an experimental campaign to help localize the top Firefox Desktop Add-ons into the top 11 languages (languages with the most users).
>
> This is a very exciting moment where we would like to find out whether having add-ons localized drives more user installs. The great thing is that recent research demonstrated that users who install add-ons are way more engaged with the browser, so we can potentially unlock huge value for Firefox through this Campaign!
>
> We are asking for experienced localizers from the following locales: de, fr, es_ES, ru, pt_BR, zh_CN, pl, it, es_MX, ja and nl who will be available in  first week of July, to please sign-up here:
>
> https://goo.gl/forms/uUmad50ggt58l3lO2
>
> The workload would be less than 1000 strings.
>
> Since Pontoon currently can’t handle add-on localization files, we will be using a similar external tool and testing an experimental workflow:
>
> - Any mozillian will be able to suggest new translations (we want to give space to new people)
> - Anyone will be able to upvote and downvote suggestions (we want to get more people involved in the quality control)
> - We want to rely on you, trusted localizers, to check the reviewed strings and approve them.
> - Once the add on is localized, we’ll be asking mozillians to test the add-ons in their language before they launch.
>
> After localization is complete, we will promote these add-ons in their corresponding locales.
>
> If this experimental campaign is successful (whether it can drive new installs), not only will we provide huge value to Firefox Desktop, but we will also be able to make the case for providing a wider and more sustained support of localization to Firefox add-ons.
>
> Isn’t it exciting? :-D
>
> If you’re an experienced localizer whose willing to help please sign-up here:
>
> https://goo.gl/forms/uUmad50ggt58l3lO2
>
> Cheers.

Re: Calling Experienced Localizers - Support the Add-ons Localization Campaign!

Ruben Martin

Unfortunately this is a small experimental campaign to prove our
assumptions and we don't have the bandwidth to accommodate more
languages, we hope to be able to make the case for the future and expand
this support to add-ons localization.

--
Rubén Martín [Nukeador]
Mozilla Reps Program Manager
http://reps.mozilla.org/

Re: Calling Experienced Localizers - Support the Add-ons Localization Campaign!

Ruben Martin
Hello everyone,

Just a reminder about this, we are still missing experienced localizers
for German (de), Russian (ru) and Polish (pl)

https://goo.gl/forms/BPygooHCKjZFIDYv1

Also I have an ask, if your language has a style guide we should share
with people who participates in this campaign, please let me know before
Friday (end of the day) so we can link it with the call to action next week.

Thanks!

--
Rubén Martín [Nukeador]
Mozilla Reps Program Manager
http://reps.mozilla.org/

Re: Calling Experienced Localizers - Support the Add-ons Localization Campaign!

Ruben Martin
Hello everyone again,

Just a quick note, in case you missed it we launched the campaign on
Monday :D

https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/the-add-on-localization-campaign-is-happening-join-us/29432/

Please share with your communities in the 10 target locales and
encourage people to participate! (we are already seeing a lot of activity)

After reviewing it with the L10N drivers, we been also giving rights for
doing the final approvals to some of you that applied using the form I
shared a few weeks ago. Check your email for quick guide/instructions
and thanks for your help!

And a final clarification to everyone, we are only using crowdin this
time because at the time of planning the campaign Pontoon was not ready
to handle all the requirements, Pontoon is our reference tool for
localization at Mozilla.

Cheers.