[Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration

[Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration

Delphine L
Hello localizers,

We have some exciting news to announce: the mobile teams at Mozilla are
starting to work on the transition of the current Firefox for Android
browser (internal name Fennec) to a brand new browser (currently Firefox
Preview, internal name Fenix), in order to ship a great Firefox mobile
browser on Android in 2020. The exact plan and timeline is still being
scoped out and defined, but you should expect to see this transition happen
some time in the beginning of next year.

So, what does this mean for localization?

This is where the second piece of good news comes in. The mobile team is
actively working on a locale switcher, and has committed to completing it
by the end of 2019.

In the meantime, if you are interested in getting a head start on Fenix
localization, please reach out to me *directly* and I can help set you up
(locale manager requests only).

Having said that, as soon as the locale switcher is in place I will be
enabling all locales in Fenix that have been active in Fennec in the past
12 months.

But what’s going to happen with Fennec?

Strings will continue landing in Fennec for a little while still - but they
will specifically be about this transition, and will not represent an
extremely large workload for localizers. These strings will inform users to
download Fenix to use as their default Android browser. They will be very
important to helping users transition to the new browser. Once these have
landed and the transition is done, I will be disabling Fennec on Pontoon.

In other words and to sum things up, Fenix is now taking the highest
priority in terms of localization. I’ve updated the “priority stars” in
Pontoon in order to reflect that.

Please note that Android 5 at least is necessary to use and test Fenix on
an Android device. You can find Nightly builds here (until the locale
switcher is in place, you’ll have to change the language under Android
System Settings):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.fenix.nightly&hl=en_US

Once again, thanks for all your valuable contributions over the years with
the Fennec project. And now, onwards to a new beginning with the new Fenix
browser!

Looking forwards to the best localized Android browser yet.

Cheers

Delphine

Re: [Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration

Selyan Slimane Amiri
Hello
I am a manager of Kabyle team on pontoon, and i interested in getting a
head start on Fenix, i would like testing the New android Firefox in
Kabyle. I have Android 9 (pie), and soon Android 10.
Thank you.

Le jeu. 12 déc. 2019 à 19:33, Delphine L <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Hello localizers,
>
> We have some exciting news to announce: the mobile teams at Mozilla are
> starting to work on the transition of the current Firefox for Android
> browser (internal name Fennec) to a brand new browser (currently Firefox
> Preview, internal name Fenix), in order to ship a great Firefox mobile
> browser on Android in 2020. The exact plan and timeline is still being
> scoped out and defined, but you should expect to see this transition happen
> some time in the beginning of next year.
>
> So, what does this mean for localization?
>
> This is where the second piece of good news comes in. The mobile team is
> actively working on a locale switcher, and has committed to completing it
> by the end of 2019.
>
> In the meantime, if you are interested in getting a head start on Fenix
> localization, please reach out to me *directly* and I can help set you up
> (locale manager requests only).
>
> Having said that, as soon as the locale switcher is in place I will be
> enabling all locales in Fenix that have been active in Fennec in the past
> 12 months.
>
> But what’s going to happen with Fennec?
>
> Strings will continue landing in Fennec for a little while still - but they
> will specifically be about this transition, and will not represent an
> extremely large workload for localizers. These strings will inform users to
> download Fenix to use as their default Android browser. They will be very
> important to helping users transition to the new browser. Once these have
> landed and the transition is done, I will be disabling Fennec on Pontoon.
>
> In other words and to sum things up, Fenix is now taking the highest
> priority in terms of localization. I’ve updated the “priority stars” in
> Pontoon in order to reflect that.
>
> Please note that Android 5 at least is necessary to use and test Fenix on
> an Android device. You can find Nightly builds here (until the locale
> switcher is in place, you’ll have to change the language under Android
> System Settings):
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.fenix.nightly&hl=en_US
>
> Once again, thanks for all your valuable contributions over the years with
> the Fennec project. And now, onwards to a new beginning with the new Fenix
> browser!
>
> Looking forwards to the best localized Android browser yet.
>
> Cheers
>
> Delphine

Re: [Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration

Delphine L
Hi everyone,

It's great to see so many requests come in! Thanks for all your interest in
helping localize the Fenix browser.

I wanted to make sure to clear up some possible confusion, as I've been
receiving a lot of requests from localizers to enable Fenix - to then
realize that it had already being enabled and worked on in Pontoon
<https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/android-l10n/>.

Fenix lives in the android-l10n repository along with other products. You
can filter the resources using "fenix" in the Pontoon search field (and
you’ll see that they correspond to the strings inside your locale folder,
that start by mozilla-mobile/fenix/…).

You can also use the Tags section in Pontoon in order to easily find these
strings (along with the strings for other android-l10n products):
https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/android-l10n/tags/

In order for the Fenix browser to appear completely localized, you should
work on *both* the android-components (“a-c”) and Fenix strings that live
inside the Android-l10n project. For example, Fenix uses a-c strings for
things such as error messages.

cheers

delphine

--
Delphine

Re: [Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration

Rhoslyn Prys-3
Hi Delphine.

I'm getting a checks failure: Apostrophe must be escaped

for instance:

%2$s is requesting your username and password. The site says: “%1$s”

Mae %2$s yn gofyn am enw defnyddiwr a chyfrinair. Mae'r wefan yn dweud:
“%1$s”

Context mozac_browser_engine_system_auth_message
Resource Android L10n ·
mozilla-mobile/android-components/components/browser/engine-system/src/main/res/values/strings.xml

I assume it's the "Mae'r" that's caousing the issue.

How do I deal with this? Thanks.

Rhos

Ar 17/12/2019 16:38, ysgrifennodd Delphine L:

--
Rhoslyn Prys
Meddal.com

07815067805 / 01248 351289

Re: [Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration

Axel Hecht-3
Am 17.12.19 um 18:08 schrieb Rhoslyn Prys:

> Hi Delphine.
>
> I'm getting a checks failure: Apostrophe must be escaped
>
> for instance:
>
> %2$s is requesting your username and password. The site says: “%1$s”
>
> Mae %2$s yn gofyn am enw defnyddiwr a chyfrinair. Mae'r wefan yn dweud:
> “%1$s”
>
> Context mozac_browser_engine_system_auth_message
> Resource Android L10n ·
> mozilla-mobile/android-components/components/browser/engine-system/src/main/res/values/strings.xml
>

> I assume it's the "Mae'r" that's caousing the issue.
>
> How do I deal with this? Thanks.

So if the ' is the right apostrophe typographically, you need to use \'.

If there's a better typographical apostrophe in unicode for you, I
suggest using that. For English, for example, we insist on ’.

Axel

> [...]
>>> Pontoon in order to reflect that.
>>>
>>> Please note that Android 5 at least is necessary to use and test
>>> Fenix on
>>> an Android device. You can find Nightly builds here (until the locale
>>> switcher is in place, you’ll have to change the language under Android
>>> System Settings):
>>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.fenix.nightly&hl=en_US
>>>

>>> Once again, thanks for all your valuable contributions over the years
>>> with
>>> the Fennec project. And now, onwards to a new beginning with the new
>>> Fenix
>>> browser!
>>>
>>> Looking forwards to the best localized Android browser yet.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Delphine

Re: [Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration

Thanks Axel, putting \ before the ' was accepted.

But it was unexpected behaviour for Pontoon, the translated string came
from the translation memory and ' had been accepted by Pontoon in the
past. We have no typographical preference for ' or ’ in Welsh.

My keyboard generates ' and I'd rather that Pontoon accepted it as it
does in other projects, eg:

Six of the best browsers in direct comparison.

Chwech o'r porwyr gorau mewn cymhariaeth uniongyrchol

Comment HTML page title and main headline

Resource Mozilla.org <https://pontoon.mozilla.org/cy/mozillaorg/
firefox/compare.lang
<https://pontoon.mozilla.org/cy/mozillaorg/firefox/compare.lang/>

This with ' was accepted by Pontoon as part of Mozilla.org.

Rhos

Ar 17/12/2019 19:26, ysgrifennodd Axel Hecht:

> Am 17.12.19 um 18:08 schrieb Rhoslyn Prys:
>> Hi Delphine.
>>
>> I'm getting a checks failure: Apostrophe must be escaped
>>
>> for instance:
>>
>> %2$s is requesting your username and password. The site says: “%1$s”
>>
>> Mae %2$s yn gofyn am enw defnyddiwr a chyfrinair. Mae'r wefan yn
>> dweud: “%1$s”
>>
>> Context mozac_browser_engine_system_auth_message
>> Resource Android L10n ·
>> mozilla-mobile/android-components/components/browser/engine-system/src/main/res/values/strings.xml
>>

>> I assume it's the "Mae'r" that's caousing the issue.
>>
>> How do I deal with this? Thanks.
>
> So if the ' is the right apostrophe typographically, you need to use \'.
>
> If there's a better typographical apostrophe in unicode for you, I
> suggest using that. For English, for example, we insist on ’.
>
> Axel
>

>> Rhos
>>
>> Ar 17/12/2019 16:38, ysgrifennodd Delphine L:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> It's great to see so many requests come in! Thanks for all your
>>> interest in
>>> helping localize the Fenix browser.
>>>
>>> I wanted to make sure to clear up some possible confusion, as I've been
>>> receiving a lot of requests from localizers to enable Fenix - to then
>>> realize that it had already being enabled and worked on in Pontoon
>>> <https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/android-l10n/>.
>>>
>>> Fenix lives in the android-l10n repository along with other
>>> products. You
>>> can filter the resources using "fenix" in the Pontoon search field (and
>>> you’ll see that they correspond to the strings inside your locale
>>> folder,
>>> that start by mozilla-mobile/fenix/…).
>>>
>>> You can also use the Tags section in Pontoon in order to easily find
>>> these
>>> strings (along with the strings for other android-l10n products):
>>> https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/android-l10n/tags/
>>>
>>> In order for the Fenix browser to appear completely localized, you
>>> should
>>> work on *both* the android-components (“a-c”) and Fenix strings that
>>> live
>>> inside the Android-l10n project. For example, Fenix uses a-c strings
>>> for
>>> things such as error messages.
>>>

>>> Please let me know if you have any questions!
>>>

>>> cheers
>>>
>>> delphine
>>>
>>> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 10:32 AM Delphine L
>>> <[hidden email]>

Rhoslyn Prys
Meddal.com

07815067805 / 01248 351289

Re: [Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration

Jeff Beatty
Hey Rhoslyn,

Android is a fragile platform. Even un-escaped characters can cause builds
to break. That being said, I think you're on to an interesting feature idea
for Pontoon: autofixing checks. Would you be willing to file a bug
describing the behavior you'd expect to see in such a feature in Pontoon?

Thanks,
Jeff

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 3:27 AM Rhoslyn Prys <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Axel, putting \ before the ' was accepted.
>
> But it was unexpected behaviour for Pontoon, the translated string came
> from the translation memory and ' had been accepted by Pontoon in the
> past. We have no typographical preference for ' or ’ in Welsh.
>
> My keyboard generates ' and I'd rather that Pontoon accepted it as it
> does in other projects, eg:
>
> Six of the best browsers in direct comparison.
>
> Chwech o'r porwyr gorau mewn cymhariaeth uniongyrchol
>
> Comment HTML page title and main headline
>
> Resource Mozilla.org <https://pontoon.mozilla.org/cy/mozillaorg/
> firefox/compare.lang
> <https://pontoon.mozilla.org/cy/mozillaorg/firefox/compare.lang/>
>
> This with ' was accepted by Pontoon as part of Mozilla.org.
>
> Rhos
>
> Ar 17/12/2019 19:26, ysgrifennodd Axel Hecht:
> > Am 17.12.19 um 18:08 schrieb Rhoslyn Prys:
> >> Hi Delphine.
> >>
> >> I'm getting a checks failure: Apostrophe must be escaped
> >>
> >> for instance:
> >>
> >> %2$s is requesting your username and password. The site says: “%1$s”
> >>
> >> Mae %2$s yn gofyn am enw defnyddiwr a chyfrinair. Mae'r wefan yn
> >> dweud: “%1$s”
> >>
> >> Context mozac_browser_engine_system_auth_message
> >> Resource Android L10n ·
> >>
> mozilla-mobile/android-components/components/browser/engine-system/src/main/res/values/strings.xml
>

> >> I assume it's the "Mae'r" that's caousing the issue.
> >>
> >> How do I deal with this? Thanks.
> >
> > So if the ' is the right apostrophe typographically, you need to use \'.
> >
> > If there's a better typographical apostrophe in unicode for you, I
> > suggest using that. For English, for example, we insist on ’.
> >
> > Axel
> >

> >> Rhos
> >>
> >> Ar 17/12/2019 16:38, ysgrifennodd Delphine L:

> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.fenix.nightly&hl=en_US

> Rhoslyn Prys
> Meddal.com
>
> 07815067805 / 01248 351289

Re: [Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration

Rhoslyn Prys-3
Done. Bug 1605059 <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1605059>

Ar 18/12/2019 19:06, ysgrifennodd Jeff Beatty:

> [...]
>     >>>> an Android device. You can find Nightly builds here (until
>     the locale
>     >>>> switcher is in place, you’ll have to change the language
>     under Android
>     >>>> System Settings):
>     >>>>
>     https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.fenix.nightly&hl=en_US
>     <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.fenix.nightly&hl=en_US>
>
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>> Once again, thanks for all your valuable contributions over the
>     >>>> years with
>     >>>> the Fennec project. And now, onwards to a new beginning with the
>     >>>> new Fenix
>     >>>> browser!
>     >>>>
>     >>>> Looking forwards to the best localized Android browser yet.

Rhoslyn Prys
Meddal.com

07815067805 / 01248 351289

Re: [Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration

Delphine L
Hello localizers,

I have great news to communicate: the locale switcher now finally seems to
be working across the board on Fenix!

So, what does this mean?

Before the end of this week, I'll be enabling all locales that have been
active in the last 9 months on Pontoon for Firefox for Android, looking at
https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/firefox-for-android/

If your locale is not part of that list, and you still want to localize
Fenix, please let me know by filing an issue here:
https://github.com/mozilla-l10n/android-l10n/issues/new?assignees=delphine&labels=&template=new-localization-request.md&title=Add+%5Blocale%5D+to+%5Bproduct%5D

Fenix is a small project (kind of like Focus was) - in fact this means you
have to ability to ship this new  Android browser MUCH quicker than Firefox
for Android. So it's a great opportunity to see your locale launch in a
very short time.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out directly to me
(unless you think  the entire list should benefit from such
question/concern).

Thank you! And happy localizing :)

--
Delphine

Re: [Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration

ajtzibsyani
Thank you Delphine L.Enviado desde mi smartphone Samsung Galaxy.-------- Mensaje original --------De: Delphine L <[hidden email]> Fecha: 05/02/2020  12:17 PM  (GMT-06:00) A: dev-l10n <[hidden email]> Asunto: Re: [Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration Hello localizers,I have great news to communicate: the locale switcher now finally seems tobe working across the board on Fenix!So, what does this mean?Before the end of this week, I'll be enabling all locales that have beenactive in the last 9 months on Pontoon for Firefox for Android, looking athttps://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/firefox-for-android/If your locale is not part of that list, and you still want to localizeFenix, please let me know by filing an issue here:https://github.com/mozilla-l10n/android-l10n/issues/new?assignees=delphine&labels=&template=new-localization-request.md&title=Add+%5Blocale%5D+to+%5Bproduct%5DFenix is a small project (kind of like Focus was) - in fact this means youhave to ability to ship this new  Android browser MUCH quicker than Firefoxfor Android. So it's a great opportunity to see your locale launch in avery short time.If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out directly to me(unless you think  the entire list should benefit from suchquestion/concern).Thank you! And happy localizing :)On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 10:32 AM Delphine L <[hidden email]>wrote:> Hello localizers,>> We have some exciting news to announce: the mobile teams at Mozilla are> starting to work on the transition of the current Firefox for Android> browser (internal name Fennec) to a brand new browser (currently Firefox> Preview, internal name Fenix), in order to ship a great Firefox mobile> browser on Android in 2020. The exact plan and timeline is still being> scoped out and defined, but you should expect to see this transition happen> some time in the beginning of next year.>> So, what does this mean for localization?>> This is where the second piece of good news comes in. The mobile team is> actively working on a locale switcher, and has committed to completing it> by the end of 2019.>> In the meantime, if you are interested in getting a head start on Fenix> localization, please reach out to me *directly* and I can help set you up> (locale manager requests only).>> Having said that, as soon as the locale switcher is in place I will be> enabling all locales in Fenix that have been active in Fennec in the past> 12 months.>> But what’s going to happen with Fennec?>> Strings will continue landing in Fennec for a little while still - but> they will specifically be about this transition, and will not represent an> extremely large workload for localizers. These strings will inform users to> download Fenix to use as their default Android browser. They will be very> important to helping users transition to the new browser. Once these have> landed and the transition is done, I will be disabling Fennec on Pontoon.>> In other words and to sum things up, Fenix is now taking the highest> priority in terms of localization. I’ve updated the “priority stars” in> Pontoon in order to reflect that.>> Please note that Android 5 at least is necessary to use and test Fenix on> an Android device. You can find Nightly builds here (until the locale> switcher is in place, you’ll have to change the language under Android> System Settings):> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.fenix.nightly&hl=en_US>> Once again, thanks for all your valuable contributions over the years with> the Fennec project. And now, onwards to a new beginning with the new Fenix> browser!>> Looking forwards to the best localized Android browser yet.>> Cheers>> Delphine>-- Delphine_______________________________________________dev-l10n mailing [hidden email]://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n

Re: [Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration

Gabriela Montagu-2
Great Delphine, thanks!!

Best regards,
Gabriela
QA Mozilla Hispano Team Responsible

El jue., 6 de feb. de 2020 a la(s) 23:16, ajtzibsyani ([hidden email])
escribió:

> [...]
> terms of localization. I’ve updated the “priority stars” in> Pontoon in
> order to reflect that.>> Please note that Android 5 at least is necessary
> to use and test Fenix on> an Android device. You can find Nightly builds
> here (until the locale> switcher is in place, you’ll have to change the
> language under Android> System Settings):>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.fenix.nightly&hl=en_US>>
> Once again, thanks for all your valuable contributions over the years with>
> the Fennec project. And now, onwards to a new beginning with the new Fenix>
> browser!>> Looking forwards to the best localized Android browser yet.>>
> Cheers>> Delphine>--
> [hidden email]://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n

Re: [Call to Action] Firefox for Android migration

Fjoerfoks
Awesome!
Kudos to team which made this possible!

Wim