Call for Proposals: Mellon Award for Technology Collaboration Awards 2008

Call for Proposals: Mellon Award for Technology Collaboration Awards 2008

Jon Gunderson
The Mellon Foundation is supporting open source software projects, receive either $50K or $100K for your open source project.  More details at their website.  They have supported a number of disability related projects, including the Firefox Accessibility Extension.

http://matc.mellon.org/

Applications due April 14th, 2008.

Jon

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D.
Coordinator Information Technology Accessibility
Disability Resources and Educational Services

Rehabilitation Education Center
Room 86
1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, Illinois 61821

Voice: (217) 244-5870

WWW: http://www.cita.uiuc.edu/
WWW: https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/jongund/www/

Dear MATC Awardee; I am writing to ask your help with the Mellon Awards for Technology Collaboration for 2008.  As you may recall, the deadline for nominations is approaching; this year, it is 14 April.

These awards only work if the community comes together and recognizes its own.  If you know of an institution that has exercised exemplary leadership of an open source project, please nominate that institution.  If you have access to distribution lists where others may know of such institutions and projects, please spread the word.

The nomination site is http://matc.mellon.org.  Full details on how to nominate, as well as the opportunity to add a comment on an existing nominee, are available on the website. As always, we are looking for not-for-profit institutions that have contributed significantly to the success of open source projects that are important to Mellon’s constituencies in the arts and humanities in higher education, research libraries, museums, performing arts organizations, and conservation biology.

Your assistance in finding this year’s group of award-winning institutions would be greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,  --Chris

Christopher J. Mackie

Associate Program Officer
Research in Information Technology

The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation

--

282 Alexander Rd.

Princeton, NJ 08540

--

140 E. 62nd St.

New York, NY 10065

--

+1 609.924.9424 (office: GMT - 5:00)

+1 609.933.1877 (mobile)

+1 646.274.6351 (fax)

cjmackie06 @ AIM

cjmackie5 @ Yahoo

--

http://rit.mellon.org; http://www.mellon.org

Re: Call for Proposals: Mellon Award for Technology Collaboration Awards 2008

Frank Hecker-2
I registered at the Mellon site and looked at the nominations, thinking
I might apply for something on behalf of the Mozilla Foundation. As it
turns out, there's a FAQ specifically about us: "Can I nominate the
Mozilla Foundation (or any other software foundation)?"

http://matc.mellon.org/faq/why-isnt-the-mozilla-foundation-or-any-other-software-foundation-eligible

The answer is no, you can't: "The MATC awards are designed to honor
institutions that are not in the business of developing software ...
[A]ll software foundations (e.g., Mozilla) are ineligible because
developing software is their core business."

Oh well :-)

Frank