Calendar question

Jeffrey Needle
I downloaded the Calendar module, and was told it was installed
successfully, I should restart the application (Seamonkey) and I would
have my calendar.  But I can't find it anywhere!  How do I access it,
now that I've downloaded it?  Thanks.

Re: Calendar question

Johannes Kastl
On 01/15/2006 03:06 PM Jeff Needle wrote:
> I downloaded the Calendar module, and was told it was installed
> successfully, I should restart the application (Seamonkey) and I would
> have my calendar.  But I can't find it anywhere!  How do I access it,
> now that I've downloaded it?  Thanks.

1. Please give more info on which Seamonkey you are using (Help=>About
SM), and which calendar module you are using (where did you get it?).
2. As far as I know Calendar only works in SM if you compile it together.
3. The old calendar .xpis on mozilla.org/projects/calendar/ are not
working with SM.

OJ
--
I think a nerd is a person who uses the telephone to talk to other
people about telephones. And a computer nerd therefore is somebody who

Re: Calendar question

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez
Jeff Needle escribió:
> I downloaded the Calendar module, and was told it was installed
> successfully, I should restart the application (Seamonkey) and I would
> have my calendar.  But I can't find it anywhere!  How do I access it,
> now that I've downloaded it?  Thanks.

Unless you're using Windows and have downloaded the experimental
nightly XPI (which I have not tested myself) available at:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/download.html#download_appsuite

you can't run Calendar XPI on SeaMonkey at this moment. It has been
said that there are some ways to get Lightning running on SeaMonkey,
but IIRC you have to compile both yourself, and people have varying
levels of success when using Ligthning, not being infrequent that it
doesn't run at all.

Said this, if by a chance you have a Calendar version correctly
installed in SeaMonkey, you should have an additional icon in the SM
taskbar, and an additional menu item in the Window menu.

HTH

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Re: Calendar question

gwtc
Jeff Needle wrote:
> I downloaded the Calendar module, and was told it was installed
> successfully, I should restart the application (Seamonkey) and I would
> have my calendar.  But I can't find it anywhere!  How do I access it,
> now that I've downloaded it?  Thanks.

for your info, there is a support for the calendar newsgroup on this
server.  Under File, Subscribe, hit the Refresh button, then look for
mozilla.support.calendar

Re: Calendar question

Jeffrey Needle
Johannes Kastl wrote:

> On 01/15/2006 03:06 PM Jeff Needle wrote:
>> I downloaded the Calendar module, and was told it was installed
>> successfully, I should restart the application (Seamonkey) and I would
>> have my calendar.  But I can't find it anywhere!  How do I access it,
>> now that I've downloaded it?  Thanks.
>
> 1. Please give more info on which Seamonkey you are using (Help=>About
> SM), and which calendar module you are using (where did you get it?).
> 2. As far as I know Calendar only works in SM if you compile it together.
> 3. The old calendar .xpis on mozilla.org/projects/calendar/ are not
> working with SM.
>
> OJ

Thanks for the help.  I've since learned a lesson about all this.  Part
of SM stays in memory after I close it.  Closing and reopening SM does
nothing to add  Calendar to the tools meno.

This morning, Calendar was there for me to use.  I should have rebooted
the computer.

Thanks, and sorry for the nutty problem.

Re: Calendar question

Jeffrey Needle
Ricardo Palomares Martinez wrote:

> Jeff Needle escribió:
>> I downloaded the Calendar module, and was told it was installed
>> successfully, I should restart the application (Seamonkey) and I would
>> have my calendar.  But I can't find it anywhere!  How do I access it,
>> now that I've downloaded it?  Thanks.
>

> Unless you're using Windows and have downloaded the experimental
> nightly XPI (which I have not tested myself) available at:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/download.html#download_appsuite
>
> you can't run Calendar XPI on SeaMonkey at this moment. It has been
> said that there are some ways to get Lightning running on SeaMonkey,
> but IIRC you have to compile both yourself, and people have varying
> levels of success when using Ligthning, not being infrequent that it
> doesn't run at all.
>
> Said this, if by a chance you have a Calendar version correctly
> installed in SeaMonkey, you should have an additional icon in the SM
> taskbar, and an additional menu item in the Window menu.
>
> HTH

I'm using SM 1.0b, and it works fine.  I guess I lucked out.  Thanks.

Re: Calendar question

Jeffrey Needle
gwtc wrote:
> Jeff Needle wrote:
>> I downloaded the Calendar module, and was told it was installed
>> successfully, I should restart the application (Seamonkey) and I would
>> have my calendar.  But I can't find it anywhere!  How do I access it,
>> now that I've downloaded it?  Thanks.
>>
> for your info, there is a support for the calendar newsgroup on this
> server.  Under File, Subscribe, hit the Refresh button, then look for
> mozilla.support.calendar

Thanks!

Re: Calendar question

gwtc
Jeff Needle wrote:

> Johannes Kastl wrote:
>
>>On 01/15/2006 03:06 PM Jeff Needle wrote:
>>
>>>I downloaded the Calendar module, and was told it was installed
>>>successfully, I should restart the application (Seamonkey) and I would
>>>have my calendar.  But I can't find it anywhere!  How do I access it,
>>>now that I've downloaded it?  Thanks.
>>
>>1. Please give more info on which Seamonkey you are using (Help=>About
>>SM), and which calendar module you are using (where did you get it?).
>>2. As far as I know Calendar only works in SM if you compile it together.
>>3. The old calendar .xpis on mozilla.org/projects/calendar/ are not
>>working with SM.
>>
>>OJ
>

> Thanks for the help.  I've since learned a lesson about all this.  Part
> of SM stays in memory after I close it.  Closing and reopening SM does
> nothing to add  Calendar to the tools meno.
>
> This morning, Calendar was there for me to use.  I should have rebooted
> the computer.
>
> Thanks, and sorry for the nutty problem.

you have to make sure SM is fully closed, including the quicklaunch if
used.  You can check in the task manager of ctrl+alt+del and see if
its still using.

Re: Calendar question

Marco-22
Am 16.01.2006 01:03 schrieb Jeff Needle:
> gwtc wrote:
>
>> Jeff Needle wrote:
>>
>>> I downloaded the Calendar module, and was told it was installed
>>> successfully, I should restart the application (Seamonkey) and I
>>> would have my calendar.  But I can't find it anywhere!  How do I
>>> access it, now that I've downloaded it?  Thanks.

If it doesn't work, try one of these experimental versions:
http://beta.aviary.pl/adrianer/nightly/

Re: Calendar question

Oleg O.
In article <[hidden email]>,
gwtc  <[hidden email]> wrote:

>for your info, there is a support for the calendar newsgroup on this
>server.  Under File, Subscribe, hit the Refresh button, then look for
>mozilla.support.calendar

For your info, this group ("netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey") is
propagated on the Usenet.  "This server" is meaningless in this context
(as is hitting "Refresh button", etc., by the way -- I'm reading (and
posting) using trn under NetBSD, from my ISP's newsserver).

I do wish more people remembered what Usenet is when discussing the
newsgroups here, and remembered that many people are currently reading
them from their local Usenet server.

  Oleg

--
 oleg  | The "From" address is temporary.
  @    | <---- If expired, use this one.

Re: Calendar question

gwtc
Oleg O. wrote:

> In article <[hidden email]>,
> gwtc  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>for your info, there is a support for the calendar newsgroup on this
>>server.  Under File, Subscribe, hit the Refresh button, then look for
>>mozilla.support.calendar
>

> For your info, this group ("netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey") is
> propagated on the Usenet.  "This server" is meaningless in this context
> (as is hitting "Refresh button", etc., by the way -- I'm reading (and
> posting) using trn under NetBSD, from my ISP's newsserver).
>
> I do wish more people remembered what Usenet is when discussing the
> newsgroups here, and remembered that many people are currently reading
> them from their local Usenet server.
>
>   Oleg

for your info the netscape.public.mozilla.* are propagated to the
usenet servers; whereas the mozilla.support.* are not.

Re: Calendar question

Oleg O.
In article <[hidden email]>,
gwtc  <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Oleg O. wrote:
>
>> In article <[hidden email]>,
>> gwtc  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>for your info, there is a support for the calendar newsgroup on this
>>>server.  Under File, Subscribe, hit the Refresh button, then look for
>>>mozilla.support.calendar
>>

>> For your info, this group ("netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey") is
>> propagated on the Usenet.  "This server" is meaningless in this context
>> (as is hitting "Refresh button", etc., by the way -- I'm reading (and
>> posting) using trn under NetBSD, from my ISP's newsserver).
>>
>> I do wish more people remembered what Usenet is when discussing the
>> newsgroups here, and remembered that many people are currently reading
>> them from their local Usenet server.
>>
>>   Oleg
>>
>for your info the netscape.public.mozilla.* are propagated to the
>usenet servers; whereas the mozilla.support.* are not.

I know that (of course I do -- the latter ones are not available to
me, unless I change my newsreading setup).  I also don't see how it's
relevant to what I said.  Re-read what you wrote, keeping in mind that
we're in n.p.m.s.

  Oleg

Oleg O. wrote:

> In article <[hidden email]>,
> gwtc  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Oleg O. wrote:

>>>For your info, this group ("netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey") is
>>>propagated on the Usenet.  "This server" is meaningless in this context
>>>(as is hitting "Refresh button", etc., by the way -- I'm reading (and
>>>posting) using trn under NetBSD, from my ISP's newsserver).
>>>
>>>I do wish more people remembered what Usenet is when discussing the
>>>newsgroups here, and remembered that many people are currently reading
>>>them from their local Usenet server.
>>>
>>>  Oleg
>>>

>>for your info the netscape.public.mozilla.* are propagated to the
>>usenet servers; whereas the mozilla.support.* are not.
>

> I know that (of course I do -- the latter ones are not available to
> me, unless I change my newsreading setup).  I also don't see how it's
> relevant to what I said.  Re-read what you wrote, keeping in mind that
> we're in n.p.m.s.
>
>   Oleg

The mozilla.support.* groups are only avaible from either
news.mozilla.org or news.mozilla.com.  While the
netscape.public.mozilla.* groups are avaible from just about any
usenet server.

Here's a sample list of them:

All other products

MOZILLA: The Mozilla Suite (Thunderbird and Firefox users, please
subscribe there!)

The Seamonkey project (suite continuation)

FIREFOX: "Browser only" application.

THUNDERBIRD:  "eMail only" application.

Other Groups of Interest:

FOR TESTING THINGS:
To test anything on your eMailer or Browser (HTML stuff, graphics etc)
use these Test groups

Only group which allows non-plaintext posting

Re: Calendar question

Chris Ilias
_gwtc_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 7:04 PM:

> Oleg O. wrote:
>
>> I know that (of course I do -- the latter ones are not available to
>> me, unless I change my newsreading setup).  I also don't see how it's
>> relevant to what I said.  Re-read what you wrote, keeping in mind that
>> we're in n.p.m.s.
>
> The mozilla.support.* groups are only avaible from either
> news.mozilla.org or news.mozilla.com.  While the
> netscape.public.mozilla.* groups are avaible from just about any usenet
> server.

Looks like a failure to communicate. :-)
You gave instructions for the OP, assuming he was access this group via
new.mozilla.org. Because n.p.m groups are on usenet, the OP may have
been using another server (he was using Supernews), thus "there is a
support for the calendar newsgroup on this server.  Under File,
Subscribe, hit the Refresh button, then look for
mozilla.support.calendar" doesn't apply.
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Links <http://ilias.ca>