CPU meter goes crazy

jim byrnes-3
Using eSeaMonkey 1.1.3 Gecko 20070721. Going to my hometown newspaper's
site http://www.journalstandard.com/ turns the display of the cpu meter
into a mass of up and down spikes.  If I click on a story at first I
thought it was taking me to a new page but it did not.  There is no new
tab oppened and the "back" button is grayed out.  The display does
change in that a large mostly blank white rectangle is opens up and
covers most of the page.

What do any of you see?

Just tried it with Firefox on XP and it took a long time to load but
everything worked.

Regards,  Jim

Re: CPU meter goes crazy

Brendan McCullough
On 07/10/16 18:43, jim byrnes wrote:

> Using eSeaMonkey 1.1.3 Gecko 20070721. Going to my hometown newspaper's
> site http://www.journalstandard.com/ turns the display of the cpu meter
> into a mass of up and down spikes.  If I click on a story at first I
> thought it was taking me to a new page but it did not.  There is no new
> tab oppened and the "back" button is grayed out.  The display does
> change in that a large mostly blank white rectangle is opens up and
> covers most of the page.
>
> What do any of you see?
>
> Just tried it with Firefox on XP and it took a long time to load but
> everything worked.
>
> Regards,  Jim

Lots of Flash on that page.  Probably too much for OS/2 users?

Re: CPU meter goes crazy

Mike Luther
Hi Jim ..

jim byrnes wrote:

> Using eSeaMonkey 1.1.3 Gecko 20070721. Going to my hometown newspaper's
> site http://www.journalstandard.com/ turns the display of the cpu meter
> into a mass of up and down spikes.  If I click on a story at first I
> thought it was taking me to a new page but it did not.  There is no new
> tab oppened and the "back" button is grayed out.  The display does
> change in that a large mostly blank white rectangle is opens up and
> covers most of the page.
>
> What do any of you see?
>
> Just tried it with Firefox on XP and it took a long time to load but
> everything worked.
>
> Regards,  Jim

The real CPU hog is the scroller, just like it is a real CPU hog in other
places that use it.  If, for example, you hover the mouse over the scroller, it
will cease eating up CPU cycles as the text stops scrolling.  If you click on
the scroller and force SMK to do something else, that will take your major
focus away from what you are seeing on the main page.

In my case I'm routinely using Privoxy for a proxy for HTTP and so on.  It used
to be that Privoxy could force a scroller like this to deliver a complete text
line for what was to be scrolled.  That would stop this CPU bashing.  However,
as SMK has changed, I've not been able to figure out how to go back to this
technique for handling it.

Some sites are arranged for scroller purposes so that if you click on the
scroller during the text roll, you can freeze the scroller text on whatever was
in that sentence or text segment.  That also stops the CPU hogging, while at
the same time allowing you to do whatever you want with the main page focus
still there.  A good example of this type use of a scroller that you can halt
at any given segment of scrolled text is the www.debka.com site.

I'd REALLY like to have a Seamonkey option as to how to handle scroller
operations which could be used to globally handle this, without, at the same
time, spilling to whole text down into wherever it finally winds up as an
overlay window on top of the main page focus.

Anyway, that is what I see here which may help you see the same effects I see.

--

--> Sleep well; OS2's still awake! ;)

Mike Luther

Re: CPU meter goes crazy

James Moe
On 10/16/07 06:43 pm, jim byrnes wrote:
> Using eSeaMonkey 1.1.3 Gecko 20070721. Going to my hometown newspaper's
> site http://www.journalstandard.com/ turns the display of the cpu meter
> into a mass of up and down spikes.
>
> What do any of you see?

  Turn Javascript off. It loads much faster and does not peg the CPU to
produce that irritating ticker line.

(Remove DESPAMMZ for email)

Re: CPU meter goes crazy

Peter Brown-2
Hi Jim

jim byrnes wrote:

> Using eSeaMonkey 1.1.3 Gecko 20070721. Going to my hometown newspaper's
> site http://www.journalstandard.com/ turns the display of the cpu meter
> into a mass of up and down spikes.  If I click on a story at first I
> thought it was taking me to a new page but it did not.  There is no new
> tab oppened and the "back" button is grayed out.  The display does
> change in that a large mostly blank white rectangle is opens up and
> covers most of the page.
>
> What do any of you see?

eSeamonkey loads without cpus peaking here but cpus become very spikey
once the page has loaded - probably all the crap adverts constantly
changing.

Same result when clicking on a story under "More Local News" - probably
due to the story being setup to open a Flash window.

Stories not relying on Flash work fine.

> Just tried it with Firefox on XP and it took a long time to load but
> everything worked.
>
> Regards,  Jim

Regards

Pete

Re: CPU meter goes crazy

Mike Luther
James ..

James Moe wrote:

> On 10/16/07 06:43 pm, jim byrnes wrote:
>> Using eSeaMonkey 1.1.3 Gecko 20070721. Going to my hometown newspaper's
>> site http://www.journalstandard.com/ turns the display of the cpu meter
>> into a mass of up and down spikes.
>>
>> What do any of you see?
>>
>   Turn Javascript off. It loads much faster and does not peg the CPU to
> produce that irritating ticker line.

Is there any way to turn Javascript off for a given website?  I don't think so
from what I've note of the preferences, but have I missed something?

Thanks!

--

--> Sleep well; OS2's still awake! ;)

Mike Luther

Re: CPU meter goes crazy

David T. Johnson
mike luther wrote:

> James ..
>
> James Moe wrote:
>> On 10/16/07 06:43 pm, jim byrnes wrote:
>>> Using eSeaMonkey 1.1.3 Gecko 20070721. Going to my hometown
>>> newspaper's site http://www.journalstandard.com/ turns the display of
>>> the cpu meter into a mass of up and down spikes.
>>>
>>> What do any of you see?
>>>
>>   Turn Javascript off. It loads much faster and does not peg the CPU to
>> produce that irritating ticker line.
>>

> Is there any way to turn Javascript off for a given website?  I don't
> think so from what I've note of the preferences, but have I missed
> something?
>
> Thanks!

Use the "Noscript" plugin...

http://noscript.net/

--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and Sea Monkey 1.5a

Re: CPU meter goes crazy

jim byrnes-3
Peter Brown wrote:

> Hi Jim
>
> jim byrnes wrote:
>> Using eSeaMonkey 1.1.3 Gecko 20070721. Going to my hometown
>> newspaper's site http://www.journalstandard.com/ turns the display of
>> the cpu meter into a mass of up and down spikes.  If I click on a
>> story at first I thought it was taking me to a new page but it did
>> not.  There is no new tab oppened and the "back" button is grayed
>> out.  The display does change in that a large mostly blank white
>> rectangle is opens up and covers most of the page.
>>
>> What do any of you see?
>>

> eSeamonkey loads without cpus peaking here but cpus become very spikey
> once the page has loaded - probably all the crap adverts constantly
> changing.

That's what I see here also.

> Same result when clicking on a story under "More Local News" - probably
> due to the story being setup to open a Flash window.
>
> Stories not relying on Flash work fine.

I have Flashblock installed.  If you happened to look at the story about
sleep you saw a picture of my grandson, which is why I accessed the site
in the first place.

> Regards
>
> Pete

Thanks Pete and everyone else that responded.  As soon as I resove some
hardware issues I will tryout your suggestions, especially looking into
the noscript plugin.  I hadn't been to the site for awhile but I don't
remember it being so "busy".

Thanks,  Jim