Built-in shortcut for Firefox Profile Manager

Built-in shortcut for Firefox Profile Manager

RAV-2
In the support newsgroups, people keep asking about how to find Profile
Manager for Firefox 1.5.  And people answer that they have to click on
Start, Run, and enter  firefox.exe -P

I think the Firefox installer should provide a built-in shortcut to the
Profile Manager, which, for Windows, would be under Start, Programs,
Mozilla Firefox, Profile Manager.

The benefit of this would be that it would be easier for people to find
and use Profile Manager, and it would reduce the number of support
E-mails about this issue.

Re: Built-in shortcut for Firefox Profile Manager

John Thompson
On 2006-01-22, RAV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the support newsgroups, people keep asking about how to find Profile
> Manager for Firefox 1.5.  And people answer that they have to click on
> Start, Run, and enter  firefox.exe -P
>
> I think the Firefox installer should provide a built-in shortcut to the
> Profile Manager, which, for Windows, would be under Start, Programs,
> Mozilla Firefox, Profile Manager.

You can easily create your your own shortcut with the "-P" switch, yes?

--

John ([hidden email])

John Thompson wrote:

> On 2006-01-22, RAV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In the support newsgroups, people keep asking about how to find Profile
>> Manager for Firefox 1.5.  And people answer that they have to click on
>> Start, Run, and enter  firefox.exe -P
>>
>> I think the Firefox installer should provide a built-in shortcut to the
>> Profile Manager, which, for Windows, would be under Start, Programs,
>> Mozilla Firefox, Profile Manager.
>
> You can easily create your your own shortcut with the "-P" switch, yes?

Of course I can, and so can many other people, one at a time.  The point
is that it should be provided as part of the installation (as
Thunderbird *does*), so that each person doesn't have to do it
themselves, or worse, generate dozens of "How do I ..." newsgroup
support requests, as I have seen over a period of time in the support
newsgroups.  It should be made easier for everyone, but especially for
non-computer-literate people, to access the Profile Manager.

Re: Built-in shortcut for Firefox Profile Manager

renegadex-2
RAV wrote:

> John Thompson wrote:
>> On 2006-01-22, RAV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> In the support newsgroups, people keep asking about how to find
>>> Profile Manager for Firefox 1.5.  And people answer that they have to
>>> click on Start, Run, and enter  firefox.exe -P
>>>
>>> I think the Firefox installer should provide a built-in shortcut to
>>> the Profile Manager, which, for Windows, would be under Start,
>>> Programs, Mozilla Firefox, Profile Manager.
>>
>> You can easily create your your own shortcut with the "-P" switch, yes?
>>

> Of course I can, and so can many other people, one at a time.  The point
> is that it should be provided as part of the installation (as
> Thunderbird *does*), so that each person doesn't have to do it
> themselves, or worse, generate dozens of "How do I ..." newsgroup
> support requests, as I have seen over a period of time in the support
> newsgroups.  It should be made easier for everyone, but especially for
> non-computer-literate people, to access the Profile Manager.

I agree.. though dev's vehemently DON'T.
See (and the Bug I filed, mentioned in the 1st post):
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=365210&highlight=

Re: Built-in shortcut for Firefox Profile Manager

Splibbilla
RAV wrote:

> John Thompson wrote:
>> On 2006-01-22, RAV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> In the support newsgroups, people keep asking about how to find Profile
>>> Manager for Firefox 1.5.  And people answer that they have to click on
>>> Start, Run, and enter  firefox.exe -P
>>>
>>> I think the Firefox installer should provide a built-in shortcut to the
>>> Profile Manager, which, for Windows, would be under Start, Programs,
>>> Mozilla Firefox, Profile Manager.
>>
>> You can easily create your your own shortcut with the "-P" switch, yes?
>>

> Of course I can, and so can many other people, one at a time.  The point
> is that it should be provided as part of the installation (as
> Thunderbird *does*), so that each person doesn't have to do it
> themselves, or worse, generate dozens of "How do I ..." newsgroup
> support requests, as I have seen over a period of time in the support
> newsgroups.  It should be made easier for everyone, but especially for
> non-computer-literate people, to access the Profile Manager.

no doubt some bloat would be added, but could make (win shortcuts for)
profiles draggable from the profile manager window?