Building the latest NSS with VS 2013

John Jiang
Hi,
I need to build NSS with VS 2013 and MozillaBuild 2.2.0.

Just found the building failed on NSS 3.33 and 3.34.1, exactly many libs,
like nss3, ssl3, were missing.
But the building looked fine on NSS 3.32.1.
Does that mean the NSS versions later than 3.32.1 cannot be built with
VS2013?

Best regards,
John Jiang

RE: Building the latest NSS with VS 2013

Stutzman, David K CTR USARMY RDECOM CERDEC (US)
I posted recently about attempting to build JSS on Windows (which I'm still unable to do).  I am also unable to build the most recent versions of NSS on VS2013.  I was able to build them using VS2015.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.tech.crypto/6c0_zNDS3JY

Good Luck!

Dave

Re: Building the latest NSS with VS 2013

John Jiang
Using VS 2015 and MozillaBuild 2.2.0, the building finished successfully.

In addition, I don't get proper reference for building NSS with VS 2017 and
the latest MozillaBuild (3.3.1).
By default, the last MozillaBuild cannot find VC++ and Windows Kits. It may
have to setup some environment variables.

Best regards,
John Jiang

> Hi,
> I need to build NSS with VS 2013 and MozillaBuild 2.2.0.
>
> Just found the building failed on NSS 3.33 and 3.34.1, exactly many libs,
> like nss3, ssl3, were missing.
> But the building looked fine on NSS 3.32.1.
> Does that mean the NSS versions later than 3.32.1 cannot be built with
> VS2013?
>
> Best regards,
> John Jiang

Re: Building the latest NSS with VS 2013

Franziskus Kiefer
Hi John,

using MozillaBuild 2.x with VS 2015 should work fine. That's the only
configuration at the moment that works for building NSS unfortunately.
We're working on new build instructions for Windows. But newer MozillaBuild
won't work and older VS version don't work either.

Cheers,
Franziskus

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 6:47 AM, John Jiang <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Using VS 2015 and MozillaBuild 2.2.0, the building finished successfully.
>
> In addition, I don't get proper reference for building NSS with VS 2017 and
> the latest MozillaBuild (3.3.1).
> By default, the last MozillaBuild cannot find VC++ and Windows Kits. It may
> have to setup some environment variables.
>
> Best regards,
> John Jiang

> > Hi,
> > I need to build NSS with VS 2013 and MozillaBuild 2.2.0.
> >
> > Just found the building failed on NSS 3.33 and 3.34.1, exactly many libs,
> > like nss3, ssl3, were missing.
> > But the building looked fine on NSS 3.32.1.
> > Does that mean the NSS versions later than 3.32.1 cannot be built with
> > VS2013?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > John Jiang

Re: Building the latest NSS with VS 2013

John Jiang
Any new update on this point?
Can I build NSS with VS2017 now?

Best regards,
John Jiang

> Hi John,
>
> using MozillaBuild 2.x with VS 2015 should work fine. That's the only
> configuration at the moment that works for building NSS unfortunately.
> We're working on new build instructions for Windows. But newer MozillaBuild
> won't work and older VS version don't work either.
>
> Cheers,
> Franziskus
>
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 6:47 AM, John Jiang <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Using VS 2015 and MozillaBuild 2.2.0, the building finished successfully.
> >
> > In addition, I don't get proper reference for building NSS with VS 2017
> and
> > the latest MozillaBuild (3.3.1).
> > By default, the last MozillaBuild cannot find VC++ and Windows Kits. It
> may
> > have to setup some environment variables.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > John Jiang

> > > Hi,
> > > I need to build NSS with VS 2013 and MozillaBuild 2.2.0.
> > >
> > > Just found the building failed on NSS 3.33 and 3.34.1, exactly many
> libs,
> > > like nss3, ssl3, were missing.
> > > But the building looked fine on NSS 3.32.1.
> > > Does that mean the NSS versions later than 3.32.1 cannot be built with
> > > VS2013?
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > John Jiang

Re: Building the latest NSS with VS 2013

Trick, Daniel
Hello,

I would like to know this too!

Because the NSS build instructions say that we should install the same
build prerequisites as described under "Building Firefox On Windows", I
did exactly that. Spent like ~1/2 day to install Visual Studio 2017
Update-6 (Update-7 was installed installed before, so I had to uninstall
my version and re-install the older version) and Rust as well as latest
Mozilla-Build. Then I checked out the NSS/NSPR sources via "hg" and
tried to build, again exactly as described ("make nss_build_all"). But
no luck!

I got error "expr: syntax error" (multiple times!) and then finally "No
working C compiler found".

After read post by Franziskus Kiefer, I did everything again, but this
time with Visual Studio 2013 Update-3 and old Mozilla-Build v2.2.0. This
time it worked right away. If that is the only way to build NSS on
Windows, the NSS build instructions should be corrected.

(Could have saved me a lot of time and headache ;-))

Best Regards
Daniel