Building a localized version

Diogo Santos-2
Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place, but I supose that many of you
already have build a localized version for testing.
I'm having troubles with it.

* I've downloaded the source code.
* I've made a .mozconfig with:
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --enable-ui-locale=pt_PT
* I've placed the l10n files.
* and then entered ./confire and make

but the build process stops with this error:
make[4]: Entering directory `/root/mozilla/netwerk/locales'
+++ making chrome /root/mozilla/netwerk/locales
=> ../../dist/bin/chrome/pt_PT.jar
error: file '../../../l10n/pt_PT/netwerk/necko.properties' doesn't exist
at ../../config/make-jars.pl line 443, <STDIN> line 4.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Re: Building a localized version

Nick Thomas (cf)
Diogo Santos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this is the right place, but I supose that many of you
> already have build a localized version for testing.
> I'm having troubles with it.
>

> * I've downloaded the source code.
> * I've made a .mozconfig with:
> mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
> ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
> ac_add_options --enable-ui-locale=pt_PT
> * I've placed the l10n files.
> * and then entered ./confire and make
>
> but the build process stops with this error:
> make[4]: Entering directory `/root/mozilla/netwerk/locales'
> +++ making chrome /root/mozilla/netwerk/locales
> => ../../dist/bin/chrome/pt_PT.jar
> error: file '../../../l10n/pt_PT/netwerk/necko.properties' doesn't exist
> at ../../config/make-jars.pl line 443, <STDIN> line 4.
>

> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance

You also need this in your mozconfig:

mk_add_options MOZ_CO_LOCALES=pt-PT

because locales are not included in the source tarball, and to correct
your pt_PT to pt-PT on the enable-ui-locale.

Also note that pt-PT only exists for Firefox 1.0.x [1,2]. You don't say
which source code you downloaded, but the --enable-application=browser
in your mozconfig is only useful for Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5 alphas and
onwards. Here is an alternative mozconfig that is more between different
versions:

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_LOCALES=pt-PT
ac_add_options --enable-ui-locale=pt-PT
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --enable-optimize
ac_add_options --disable-shared
ac_add_options --enable-static

The first line picks up the default commands for building Firefox
(regardless of version), then you have two locale control lines. The
rest will build you something close to an useful official build.
Assuming you already have the 1.0.x code, you should use

make -f client.mk checkout build

in the mozilla directory to pull the files you need from CVS and then
start building. The use of "./configure; make" is not recommended unless
you are experienced with the mozilla build environment.

[1] http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0.7/win32/
[2] http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/win32/

Re: Building a localized version

Axel Hecht
All what Nick said is basically true, but assumes that we had a pt-PT
locale in the /l10n cvs repository.

Diogo, I assume that you're one of the new pt-PT team testing your
internal localization, so this looks like you didn't localize necko yet.

The best way to find out what you need to do is to actually look at
client.mk, for example (assuming that you're working towards a 1.5.0.x
build) http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.8.0/source/client.mk#155.

"browser" stands for firefox, and all the directories mentioned there
need to be localized under l10n/pt-PT, including those referenced by
toolkit. I'm having a patch out there that actually pulls just the l10n
files, which may make it easier, once I get that reviewed.

Axel

Ter, 2006-02-07 às 12:45 +0100, Axel Hecht escreveu:
> All what Nick said is basically true, but assumes that we had a pt-PT
> locale in the /l10n cvs repository.
>
> Diogo, I assume that you're one of the new pt-PT team testing your
> internal localization, so this looks like you didn't localize necko yet.

Yes, I'm in the team. necko is translated, and with the corrections
to .mozconfig that Nick sugested, the build no longer stops there, but
it stops mutch more ahead in another file that is also translated. But I
guess that must be also another .mozconfig problem(?).

> The best way to find out what you need to do is to actually look at
> client.mk, for example (assuming that you're working towards a 1.5.0.x
> build) http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.8.0/source/client.mk#155.

I'll check it.

Thanks

Ter, 2006-02-07 às 10:53 +0000, Nick Thomas (cf) escreveu:

> You also need this in your mozconfig:
>
> mk_add_options MOZ_CO_LOCALES=pt-PT
>
> because locales are not included in the source tarball, and to correct
> your pt_PT to pt-PT on the enable-ui-locale.

Ops! Habits...

> Also note that pt-PT only exists for Firefox 1.0.x [1,2].

I'm helping in localization for 1.5.*

>  You don't say
> which source code you downloaded, but the --enable-application=browser
> in your mozconfig is only useful for Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5 alphas and
> onwards. Here is an alternative mozconfig that is more between different
> versions:
>
> . $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
> mk_add_options MOZ_CO_LOCALES=pt-PT
> ac_add_options --enable-ui-locale=pt-PT
> ac_add_options --disable-debug
> ac_add_options --enable-optimize
> ac_add_options --disable-shared
> ac_add_options --enable-static

Thanks, that was helpfull. The build no longer stops there, but it still
stops:
make[6]: Entering directory `/root/mozilla/extensions/reporter/locales'
+++ making chrome /root/mozilla/extensions/reporter/locales
=> ../../../dist/bin/chrome/pt-PT.jar
error: file './pt-PT/chrome/reportWizard.dtd' doesn't exist
at ../../../config/make-jars.pl line 443, <STDIN> line 11.

Is this a problem with .mozconfig? The file exists and is translated...

> The first line picks up the default commands for building Firefox
> (regardless of version), then you have two locale control lines. The
> rest will build you something close to an useful official build.
> Assuming you already have the 1.0.x code, you should use
>
> make -f client.mk checkout build
>
> in the mozilla directory to pull the files you need from CVS and then
> start building. The use of "./configure; make" is not recommended unless
> you are experienced with the mozilla build environment.

I've used them both, with the same results.

Thanks!

Diogo Santos wrote:

> Ter, 2006-02-07 às 10:53 +0000, Nick Thomas (cf) escreveu:
>
>> You also need this in your mozconfig:
>>
>> mk_add_options MOZ_CO_LOCALES=pt-PT
>>
>> because locales are not included in the source tarball, and to correct
>> your pt_PT to pt-PT on the enable-ui-locale.
>
> Ops! Habits...
>

>> Also note that pt-PT only exists for Firefox 1.0.x [1,2].
>
> I'm helping in localization for 1.5.*
>

>>  You don't say
>> which source code you downloaded, but the --enable-application=browser
>> in your mozconfig is only useful for Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5 alphas and
>> onwards. Here is an alternative mozconfig that is more between different
>> versions:
>>
>> . $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
>> mk_add_options MOZ_CO_LOCALES=pt-PT
>> ac_add_options --enable-ui-locale=pt-PT
>> ac_add_options --disable-debug
>> ac_add_options --enable-optimize
>> ac_add_options --disable-shared
>> ac_add_options --enable-static
>
> Thanks, that was helpfull. The build no longer stops there, but it still
> stops:
> make[6]: Entering directory `/root/mozilla/extensions/reporter/locales'
> +++ making chrome /root/mozilla/extensions/reporter/locales
> => ../../../dist/bin/chrome/pt-PT.jar
> error: file './pt-PT/chrome/reportWizard.dtd' doesn't exist
> at ../../../config/make-jars.pl line 443, <STDIN> line 11.
>
> Is this a problem with .mozconfig? The file exists and is translated...

On the 1.8.0 branch, you need to add your localization of reporter to
mozilla/extensions/reporter/locales/pt-PT, on the 1.8 and trunk
branches, I just checked in the fix to use the code in /l10n.

If you commit your locale for 1.5.0.x, please make sure to submit a
separate zip for reporter that I can check in into the main repository.
(Add a comment about the line endings your files use.)

Axel