Building NSS with MozillaBuild 3.2 and VS 2017

Building NSS with MozillaBuild 3.2 and VS 2017

John Jiang
I'm following the guide in https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/NSS/Building, and using MozillaBuild 3.2.
But after start MozillaBuild.bat, it looks my local installed VS 2017 cannot be identified.
Any suggestion for this problem?

In addition, MozillaBuild 2.x contains separated start scripts for VS 2015 and VS 2013. They work fine for me.

Re: Building NSS with MozillaBuild 3.2 and VS 2017

Gregory Szorc-3
The modern way to detect the Visual Studio install is to run vswhere.exe, which is distributed with MozillaBuild (https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-build/log/tip/vswhere.exe). NSS's build system does use vswhere.exe. So I'd like to think things would "just work." I'm a bit surprised things aren't working.

It's worth noting that the development tip of MozillaBuild has a newer version of vswhere.exe than what's in MozillaBuild 3.2. It's quite possible the new version of vswhere.exe is required to detect the new VS 2017 install?

I would try replacing vswhere.exe in MozillaBuild with the latest version available at https://github.com/Microsoft/vswhere/releases/download/2.5.2/vswhere.exe. If that works, you may want to let Ryan Vandermeulen (CCd) know so he can release a new version of MozillaBuild. Either way, you should probably reach out to the NSS developers and let them know of your problems. That mailing list is [hidden email]. (This mailing list is for Firefox build issues.)

I hope this helps.