Building Firefox for Debian:Jessie

Andrey Lushnikov
Hi folks,

I'm trying to build Firefox so that it launches on Debian:Jessie.
Firefox toolchain is quite modern and requires gcc-6.1+ and llvm-3.9+ - both are unavailable on jessie. Pulling dependencies from debian:testing results in a build that doesn't run on jessie.

Are there any tips?

Thanks,
Andrey

Re: Building Firefox for Debian:Jessie

Botond Ballo
> I'm trying to build Firefox so that it launches on Debian:Jessie.
> Firefox toolchain is quite modern and requires gcc-6.1+ and llvm-3.9+ - both are unavailable on jessie. Pulling dependencies from debian:testing results in a build that doesn't run on jessie.
>
> Are there any tips?

You could install a newer LLVM from apt.llvm.org.

You'll probbaly also find you need to install a Rust toolchain [1].

Cheers,
Botond

[1] https://www.rust-lang.org/en-US/install.html

Re: Building Firefox for Debian:Jessie

npierron
On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 2:20:39 AM UTC+1, Andrey Lushnikov wrote:
> Firefox toolchain is quite modern and requires gcc-6.1+ and llvm-3.9+ - both are unavailable on jessie. […]
>
> Are there any tips?

You should be able to install Nix [1] in your user environment, and use precompiled binary for building an environment in which you can compile Firefox with nixpkgs-mozilla [2] overlay.

If you are going this way and have any issue feel free to reach out to #nixos IRC channel on mozilla / freenode.

[1] https://nixos.org/nix/
[2] https://github.com/mozilla/nixpkgs-mozilla#firefox-development-environment