Building FF 45 with ANPM?

Christer Jacobsson
As Salaam Aleikum!

Have any of you built FF45 with ANPN(sp?), and if so, how did you do it?

She's a virgin using this tool, so I want to know how to do this. Btw,
must the FF45 zip file be unzipped first to some temp dir, for example
m:\tools\anpm\temp or can ANPM be run directly against the zip file?

Cul8er alligatorr!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 23th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: Building FF 45 with ANPM?

Dave Yeo-3
Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
> Have any of you built FF45 with ANPN(sp?), and if so, how did you do it?

ANPM is a package manager, it installs programs (in the form of RPM's)
along with all their dependencies. If you had access to the Firefox RPM,
you would just choose it and click install.

> She's a virgin using this tool, so I want to know how to do this. Btw,
> must the FF45 zip file be unzipped first to some temp dir, for example
> m:\tools\anpm\temp or can ANPM be run directly against the zip file?

Depending on which version of FF45 you are installing, and I'd advise
one of my more recent builds of Nightly, you can just unzip it into a
directory like always and run it from there. Before running, you have to
install the dependencies listed in the README.OS2 file or
RPM.REQUIREMENTS, easiest with ANPM, then run as always. Note that it no
longer needs run! or a script to set LIBPATHSTRICT and BEGINLIBPATH.
Dave

Re: Building FF 45 with ANPM?

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:
> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> As Salaam Aleikum!

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> Have any of you built FF45 with ANPN(sp?), and if so, how did you do it?
>
> ANPM is a package manager, it installs programs (in the form of RPM's)
> along with all their dependencies. If you had access to the Firefox RPM,
> you would just choose it and click install.

But it *WANTS* rpm-yum, so last time She tried ANPM it began downloading
rpm-yum with took a long time, so She killed the app. But can She
install the

<$quote>
rpm-yum-bootstrap-1_3.wpi
rpm-yum-base-os2-i686-2017-06-10.exe
</quote>

and whih of the above file should She run, the .wpi file or the .exe file?

Then unzip the firefox-45.9.0-2.en-US.os2.zip to m:\tools\anpm\temp and
then fire up ANPM? The archive contains a file listing a lot of hell
libraries, but ANPM She hopes is intelligent enough to just install the
required libs for FF45 and not all of them.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> ANPM is a package manager, it installs programs (in the form of RPM's)
>> along with all their dependencies. If you had access to the Firefox
>> RPM, you would just choose it and click install.
>>

> But it *WANTS* rpm-yum, so last time She tried ANPM it began downloading
> rpm-yum with took a long time, so She killed the app. But can She
> install the

Yes, ANPM is just a front end to RPM/YUM.

> <$quote>
> rpm-yum-bootstrap-1_3.wpi
> rpm-yum-base-os2-i686-2017-06-10.exe
> </quote>
>
> and whih of the above file should She run, the .wpi file or the .exe file?

Running ANPM will take care of it. You need the newest bootstrap as
possible, which ANPM knows about.

> Then unzip the firefox-45.9.0-2.en-US.os2.zip to m:\tools\anpm\temp and
> then fire up ANPM? The archive contains a file listing a lot of hell
> libraries, but ANPM She hopes is intelligent enough to just install the
> required libs for FF45 and not all of them.

There's a lot of files that will get installed
Dave

Re: Building FF 45 with ANPM?

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:
> Christer Jacobsson wrote:

As Salaam Aleikum!

>>> ANPM is a package manager, it installs programs (in the form of RPM's)
>>> along with all their dependencies. If you had access to the Firefox
>>> RPM, you would just choose it and click install.
>>>

>> But it *WANTS* rpm-yum, so last time She tried ANPM it began downloading
>> rpm-yum with took a long time, so She killed the app. But can She
>> install the
>
> Yes, ANPM is just a front end to RPM/YUM.
>

>> <$quote>
>> rpm-yum-bootstrap-1_3.wpi
>> rpm-yum-base-os2-i686-2017-06-10.exe
>> </quote>
>>
>> and whih of the above file should She run, the .wpi file or the .exe
>> file?
>
> Running ANPM will take care of it. You need the newest bootstrap as
> possible, which ANPM knows about.
>

>> Then unzip the firefox-45.9.0-2.en-US.os2.zip to m:\tools\anpm\temp and
>> then fire up ANPM? The archive contains a file listing a lot of hell
>> libraries, but ANPM She hopes is intelligent enough to just install the
>> required libs for FF45 and not all of them.
>
> There's a lot of files that will get installed
> Dave

Can ANPM be called from the command line like:

ANPM.EXE m:\anpm\temp (where the unpacked FF45 lives)?

She thinks that this will start the ANPM program, first it will download
the latest rpm-yum and then processing the FF45 files, and then FF45
will be ready to use? And when we are on the subject of the old
profiles, i.e. those that FF17.0.1ESR uses, can the relevant files like
the .sql files and the .db files be imported so they will be correctly
formatted for FF45?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>
> As Salaam Aleikum!

>>> But it *WANTS* rpm-yum, so last time She tried ANPM it began downloading
>>> rpm-yum with took a long time, so She killed the app. But can She
>>> install the
>>
>> Yes, ANPM is just a front end to RPM/YUM.
>>

>>> <$quote>
>>> rpm-yum-bootstrap-1_3.wpi
>>> rpm-yum-base-os2-i686-2017-06-10.exe
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> and whih of the above file should She run, the .wpi file or the .exe
>>> file?
>>
>> Running ANPM will take care of it. You need the newest bootstrap as
>> possible, which ANPM knows about.
>>

>>> Then unzip the firefox-45.9.0-2.en-US.os2.zip to m:\tools\anpm\temp and
>>> then fire up ANPM? The archive contains a file listing a lot of hell
>>> libraries, but ANPM She hopes is intelligent enough to just install the
>>> required libs for FF45 and not all of them.
>>
>> There's a lot of files that will get installed
>> Dave
>>

> Can ANPM be called from the command line like:
>
> ANPM.EXE m:\anpm\temp (where the unpacked FF45 lives)?
>
> She thinks that this will start the ANPM program, first it will download
> the latest rpm-yum and then processing the FF45 files, and then FF45
> will be ready to use? And when we are on the subject of the old
> profiles, i.e. those that FF17.0.1ESR uses, can the relevant files like
> the .sql files and the .db files be imported so they will be correctly
> formatted for FF45?

No. You don't have the Firefox RPM. You have to start ANPM and go to
Manage --> Yum Tools --> Quick install and copy & paste the list of
requirements in the listbox.
The profile will be fine.
Dave

Re: Building FF 45 with ANPM?

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:
> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> Dave Yeo wrote:
>>> Christer Jacobsson wrote:

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> As Salaam Aleikum!

>>> Yes, ANPM is just a front end to RPM/YUM.

>>> Running ANPM will take care of it. You need the newest bootstrap as
>>> possible, which ANPM knows about.

>>> There's a lot of files that will get installed
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Can ANPM be called from the command line like:
>>
>> ANPM.EXE m:\anpm\temp (where the unpacked FF45 lives)?
>>
>> She thinks that this will start the ANPM program, first it will download
>> the latest rpm-yum and then processing the FF45 files, and then FF45
>> will be ready to use? And when we are on the subject of the old
>> profiles, i.e. those that FF17.0.1ESR uses, can the relevant files like
>> the .sql files and the .db files be imported so they will be correctly
>> formatted for FF45?
>
> No. You don't have the Firefox RPM. You have to start ANPM and go to
> Manage --> Yum Tools --> Quick install and copy & paste the list of
> requirements in the listbox.
> The profile will be fine.
> Dave

Inside the firefox-45.9.0-2.en-US.OS2 there exist a file called
RPM_REQUIREMENTS, and She think that this file tells ANPM which libs it
must install, or are She totally out in the blue here?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 23th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse

Re: Building FF 45 with ANPM?

Mozilla - OS/2 mailing list
On 9/13/2019 1:42 AM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Inside the firefox-45.9.0-2.en-US.OS2 there exist a file called
> RPM_REQUIREMENTS, and She think that this file tells ANPM which libs it
> must install, or are She totally out in the blue here?

No, that's not how it works.  You are supposed to do something like:
yum install firefox

And have it automatically install all needed dependencies.  The problem
is that Bitwise never did that correctly, although it's been a common
complaint from the start.

Re: Building FF 45 with ANPM?

Christer Jacobsson
Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>>>

> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
>>> As Salaam Aleikum!

As Salaam Aleikum!

>>> Can ANPM be called from the command line like:
>>>
>>> ANPM.EXE m:\anpm\temp (where the unpacked FF45 lives)?
>>>
>>> She thinks that this will start the ANPM program, first it will download
>>> the latest rpm-yum and then processing the FF45 files, and then FF45
>>> will be ready to use? And when we are on the subject of the old
>>> profiles, i.e. those that FF17.0.1ESR uses, can the relevant files like
>>> the .sql files and the .db files be imported so they will be correctly
>>> formatted for FF45?
>>
>> No. You don't have the Firefox RPM. You have to start ANPM and go to
>> Manage --> Yum Tools --> Quick install and copy & paste the list of
>> requirements in the listbox.

Ok, so She first opens the RPM_REQUIREMENTS in the e.exe editor, selects
all and paste it to the clipboard and paste it when ANPM asks for the
libraries. But how do She point ANPM where FF45 lives? Currently it sits
in y:\firefox\firefox which contains the abovmentioned RPM_REQUIREMENTS,
but the FF code itself is currently unzipped so where the unzipped file
go? M:\tools\ANPM\temp perhaps, and how do She tell ANPM where the code
sits?

Btw, in the README.OS2 file it's mentioned that a script, dbrestore,zip
should be run BEFORE using FF45 so the profiles will be compatible with
earlier versions of FF which will be good, escpecially if She wants to
do a quick visit to for example wikipedia or www.fass.se to look up some
drugs. Remember that this system only have 640Mib RAM and a 800MHz
Pentium-III processor.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Steve Wendt wrote:

> On 9/13/2019 1:42 AM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>
>> Inside the firefox-45.9.0-2.en-US.OS2 there exist a file called
>> RPM_REQUIREMENTS, and She think that this file tells ANPM which libs
>> it must install, or are She totally out in the blue here?
>
> No, that's not how it works.  You are supposed to do something like:
> yum install firefox
>
> And have it automatically install all needed dependencies.  The problem
> is that Bitwise never did that correctly, although it's been a common
> complaint from the start.

It works fine if you have the Firefox RPM. Arca Noae paid for the RPM
and then decided it wasn't stable enough to release so only a few of us
have access to it.
I don't have access to the RPM recipe or I might consider trying to
release RPM builds of all the apps though I'm not really motivated to do so.
Note that a fresh install of Arca Noae only needs a couple of packages
installed to support FF 45.9, hunspell (not needed for SM or TB), libvpx
and optionally the FFmpeg libs
Dave

Re: Building FF 45 with ANPM?

Dave Yeo-3
Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> Ok, so She first opens the RPM_REQUIREMENTS in the e.exe editor, selects
> all and paste it to the clipboard and paste it when ANPM asks for the
> libraries. But how do She point ANPM where FF45 lives? Currently it sits
> in y:\firefox\firefox which contains the abovmentioned RPM_REQUIREMENTS,
> but the FF code itself is currently unzipped so where the unzipped file
> go? M:\tools\ANPM\temp perhaps, and how do She tell ANPM where the code
> sits?

When you install ANPM, it will download a bunch of RPM packages and
install them in @UNIXROOT\usr after asking which drive to use for
@UNIXROOT (set UNIXROOT=x: in config.sys where x: is a drive with room
for perhaps a GB of files). It'll also adjust your config.sys to put
x:\usr\lib close to the front of LIBPATH.

> Btw, in the README.OS2 file it's mentioned that a script, dbrestore,zip
> should be run BEFORE using FF45 so the profiles will be compatible with
> earlier versions of FF which will be good, escpecially if She wants to
> do a quick visit to for example wikipedia or www.fass.se to look up some
> drugs.

This is only needed for really old versions of FF, before v4 IIRC.

> Remember that this system only have 640Mib RAM and a 800MHz
> Pentium-III processor.

Hmm, FF45 is going to be hard to run with that little memory and slow
with that CPU. It may not even be worth using as the CPU will be pegged
too long and likely the swap file will thresh.
You will need patience to run it
Dave

Re: Building FF 45 with ANPM?

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:
> Christer Jacobsson wrote:

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> Ok, so She first opens the RPM_REQUIREMENTS in the e.exe editor, selects
>> all and paste it to the clipboard and paste it when ANPM asks for the
>> libraries. But how do She point ANPM where FF45 lives? Currently it sits
>> in y:\firefox\firefox which contains the abovmentioned RPM_REQUIREMENTS,
>> but the FF code itself is currently unzipped so where the unzipped file
>> go? M:\tools\ANPM\temp perhaps, and how do She tell ANPM where the code
>> sits?
>
> When you install ANPM, it will download a bunch of RPM packages and
> install them in @UNIXROOT\usr after asking which drive to use for
> @UNIXROOT (set UNIXROOT=x: in config.sys where x: is a drive with room
> for perhaps a GB of files). It'll also adjust your config.sys to put
> x:\usr\lib close to the front of LIBPATH.
>

>> Btw, in the README.OS2 file it's mentioned that a script, dbrestore,zip
>> should be run BEFORE using FF45 so the profiles will be compatible with
>> earlier versions of FF which will be good, escpecially if She wants to
>> do a quick visit to for example wikipedia or www.fass.se to look up some
>> drugs.
>
> This is only needed for really old versions of FF, before v4 IIRC.
>
>> Remember that this system only have 640Mib RAM and a 800MHz
>> Pentium-III processor.
>
> Hmm, FF45 is going to be hard to run with that little memory and slow
> with that CPU. It may not even be worth using as the CPU will be pegged
> too long and likely the swap file will thresh.
> You will need patience to run it
> Dave

Then She skips FF45 but goes for the FF31 instead. Inside the README.OS2
it's recommended using RPM-YUM to install the various packages mentioned
in it, the full RPM-YUM She's having on Her system is
rpm-yum-base-os2-i686-2017-06-10.exe and rpm-yum-bootstrap-1_3.wpi of
which the newest is the rpm-yum-base-os2-i686-2017-06-10.exe. Can She
install or must She get a newer version? Another problem witH FF10.0.2
and FF17.0.11ESR is that they don't manage to complete downloads: even
urlresume don't go to completion. So could She use NFTP/2 to go into
Netlabs to fetch the latest rpm-yum? But another guy gave Her the advice
to use the "famtree" site (if She remembers the name correctly) for
getting those RPM packages that FF31 requires? So what should She
choose? What should She choose? (from a spoof of a dark prophesy for us
that have read Robert Jordan's "Wheel Of Thme" book series where the
original two stanzas reads in original: "Daughter Of The Night / She
walks again" and the spoof is "Daughter of The Net / She surfs again".
If any of you are Jordanites, i.e. likes "Wheel of Time" books, look up
the spoof and you will get a good laugh :-)

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan