Bugzilla new install confusion

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bugzilla new install confusion

Andy Brush
Hi,

I followed the instructions in the Guide right through running checksetup.pl
for the second time, then running testserver.pl

The result is that it's reported that Apache isn't serving CGI, but all the
other tests are passed.  I've looked around for any indication that Apache
is configured to not serve CGI, and all seems to be in order.

The Apache error log says that there was an unexpected end of script in
index.cgi, although that file does not seem to have been truncated.

I know this all seems very general... I really don't know what specifics to
offer in my plea for help.  My question is, "What should I look at?"

Andy


_______________________________________________
mozilla-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-webtools
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bugzilla new install confusion

Igor Sereda
Hello Andy,

> The Apache error log says that there was an unexpected end of script
> in index.cgi, although that file does not seem to have been truncated.
>
> I know this all seems very general... I really don't know what
> specifics to offer in my plea for help.  My question is, "What should
> I look at?"


I would try to run index.cgi or query.cgi from command line - after all,
those
are perl programs. See if it reports an error, maybe that will give you a
hint.
One of the possible problems I can think of is inadequate permissions.

As for configuring Apache to run CGIs, there's "Options +ExecCGI" command;
But it already must have been turned on, given those errors that are reported
in your error_log.

Hope this helps.


Best regards,
Igor

---------------------------
Igor Sereda
http://deskzilla.com
Bugzilla Desktop Client
---------------------------


_______________________________________________
mozilla-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-webtools
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bugzilla new install confusion

Andy Brush
Thanks for the pointer.

index.cgi, if run from the command line as either root OR the Apache user,
results in,


[Fri Jun 10 12:01:50 2005] index.cgi: Use of uninitialized value in pattern
match (m//) at (eval 20) line 4.
[Fri Jun 10 12:01:50 2005] index.cgi: Use of uninitialized value in pattern
match (m//) at (eval 20) line 4.
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
  <head>
    <title>Bugzilla Main Page</title>
(more HTML output deleted)

I would say that I have access to the file.

perl is not apparently in the standard location, being found at
/usr/local/bin/perl    do I have to manually edit the "magic comment" in
each .cgi file, or is there a setup option I haven't found to change those?

andy




"Igor Sereda" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Hello Andy,
>
>> The Apache error log says that there was an unexpected end of script
>> in index.cgi, although that file does not seem to have been truncated.
>>
>> I know this all seems very general... I really don't know what
>> specifics to offer in my plea for help.  My question is, "What should
>> I look at?"
>
>
> I would try to run index.cgi or query.cgi from command line - after all,
> those
> are perl programs. See if it reports an error, maybe that will give you a
> hint.
> One of the possible problems I can think of is inadequate permissions.
>
> As for configuring Apache to run CGIs, there's "Options +ExecCGI" command;
> But it already must have been turned on, given those errors that are
> reported
> in your error_log.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
>
> Best regards,
> Igor
>
> ---------------------------
> Igor Sereda
> http://deskzilla.com
> Bugzilla Desktop Client
> ---------------------------
>
>


_______________________________________________
mozilla-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-webtools
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bugzilla new install confusion

Michael Bellomo
The easiest thing might be to just symlink /usr/bin/perl to wherever you actually have perl.

    -Michael

Andy Brush wrote:
Thanks for the pointer.

index.cgi, if run from the command line as either root OR the Apache user, 
results in,


[Fri Jun 10 12:01:50 2005] index.cgi: Use of uninitialized value in pattern 
match (m//) at (eval 20) line 4.
[Fri Jun 10 12:01:50 2005] index.cgi: Use of uninitialized value in pattern 
match (m//) at (eval 20) line 4.
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
  <head>
    <title>Bugzilla Main Page</title>
(more HTML output deleted)

I would say that I have access to the file.

perl is not apparently in the standard location, being found at 
/usr/local/bin/perl    do I have to manually edit the "magic comment" in 
each .cgi file, or is there a setup option I haven't found to change those?

andy




"Igor Sereda" [hidden email] wrote in message 
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:67e12c593b358c73c01734d6920@news.mozilla.org">news:67e12c593b358c73c01734d6920@......
  
Hello Andy,

    
The Apache error log says that there was an unexpected end of script
in index.cgi, although that file does not seem to have been truncated.

I know this all seems very general... I really don't know what
specifics to offer in my plea for help.  My question is, "What should
I look at?"
      
I would try to run index.cgi or query.cgi from command line - after all, 
those
are perl programs. See if it reports an error, maybe that will give you a 
hint.
One of the possible problems I can think of is inadequate permissions.

As for configuring Apache to run CGIs, there's "Options +ExecCGI" command;
But it already must have been turned on, given those errors that are 
reported
in your error_log.

Hope this helps.


Best regards,
Igor

---------------------------
Igor Sereda
http://deskzilla.com
Bugzilla Desktop Client
---------------------------


    


_______________________________________________
mozilla-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-webtools
.

  
_______________________________________________ mozilla-webtools mailing list [hidden email] http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-webtools
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bugzilla new install confusion

Andy Brush
In reply to this post by Andy Brush
Turns out that even though "which perl" reports  /usr/local/bin , perl
itself lies in /usr/bin

I tried editing the magic comment, anyway, no luck.


"Michael Bellomo" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
The easiest thing might be to just symlink /usr/bin/perl to wherever you
actually have perl.

    -Michael

Andy Brush wrote:
Thanks for the pointer.

index.cgi, if run from the command line as either root OR the Apache user,
results in,


[Fri Jun 10 12:01:50 2005] index.cgi: Use of uninitialized value in pattern
match (m//) at (eval 20) line 4.
[Fri Jun 10 12:01:50 2005] index.cgi: Use of uninitialized value in pattern
match (m//) at (eval 20) line 4.
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
  <head>
    <title>Bugzilla Main Page</title>
(more HTML output deleted)

I would say that I have access to the file.

perl is not apparently in the standard location, being found at
/usr/local/bin/perl    do I have to manually edit the "magic comment" in
each .cgi file, or is there a setup option I haven't found to change those?

andy




"Igor Sereda" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

Hello Andy,


The Apache error log says that there was an unexpected end of script
in index.cgi, although that file does not seem to have been truncated.

I know this all seems very general... I really don't know what
specifics to offer in my plea for help.  My question is, "What should
I look at?"

I would try to run index.cgi or query.cgi from command line - after all,
those
are perl programs. See if it reports an error, maybe that will give you a
hint.
One of the possible problems I can think of is inadequate permissions.

As for configuring Apache to run CGIs, there's "Options +ExecCGI" command;
But it already must have been turned on, given those errors that are
reported
in your error_log.

Hope this helps.


Best regards,
Igor

---------------------------
Igor Sereda
http://deskzilla.com
Bugzilla Desktop Client
---------------------------





_______________________________________________
mozilla-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-webtools
.

 


_______________________________________________
mozilla-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-webtools
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bugzilla new install confusion

A. Karl Kornel
In reply to this post by Andy Brush
In article <d8c71i$[hidden email]>,
 "Andy Brush" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <<<snip>>>
> The result is that it's reported that Apache isn't serving CGI, but all the
> other tests are passed.  I've looked around for any indication that Apache
> is configured to not serve CGI, and all seems to be in order.

   Take a look at <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/cgi.html> and see
if it gives you any pointers (read "Configuring Apache to permit CGI").  
Also, do you have an AddHandler directive in place for the bugzilla
directory (see
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addhandler>)?  Also,
does the bugzilla directory have the ExecCGI option set (see
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#options> and
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#allowoverride>)?

   Because I put my installation of Bugzilla into a non-CGI location, I
had to add 4 lines to the .htaccess file in the bugzilla directory (of
course, I let checksetup.pl create the file first).

AddHandler cgi-script cgi
<FilesMatch ^(.*\.cgi)$>
  Options +ExecCGI
</FilesMatch>

   I also had to make sure that a correct AllowOverride directive was in
my httpd.conf file, so that the +ExecCGI operation would work.

> The Apache error log says that there was an unexpected end of script in
> index.cgi, although that file does not seem to have been truncated.
>

   Could you post the EXACT message that Apache generates in your error
log when you try to go to index.cgi using your web browser?
--
=============================
|   Alfred Karl Kornel
|   -- [hidden email]
|   Member- Europa Research Group
|   UNIX / RESOLVE Consultant
=============================

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
_______________________________________________
mozilla-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-webtools
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bugzilla new install confusion

Max Kanat-Alexander
On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 02:26 -0400, A. Karl Kornel wrote:
> AddHandler cgi-script cgi
> <FilesMatch ^(.*\.cgi)$>
>   Options +ExecCGI
> </FilesMatch>

        This shouldn't be necessary if you have access to Apache's httpd.conf
and you follow the Installation and Configuration instructions in the
Bugzilla Guide.

        -Max
--
http://www.everythingsolved.com/
Everything Solved: Experts at Bugzilla... and everything else, too.

_______________________________________________
mozilla-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-webtools
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bugzilla new install confusion

A. Karl Kornel
In reply to this post by A. Karl Kornel
In article <[hidden email]>,
 Max Kanat-Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 02:26 -0400, A. Karl Kornel wrote:
> > AddHandler cgi-script cgi
> > <FilesMatch ^(.*\.cgi)$>
> >   Options +ExecCGI
> > </FilesMatch>
>
>         This shouldn't be necessary if you have access to Apache's httpd.conf
> and you follow the Installation and Configuration instructions in the
> Bugzilla Guide.
>

   That's true.  Although I do have access to httpd.conf, I put that
into .htaccess to make it easier for me to move the bugzilla
installation from place to place[1], keeps me from making too many
changes to httpd.conf, and reminds me to use AddHandler (I keep
forgetting about it)!
--
=============================
|   Alfred Karl Kornel
|   -- [hidden email]
|   Member- Europa Research Group
|   UNIX / RESOLVE Consultant
=============================

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
_______________________________________________
mozilla-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-webtools
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bugzilla new install confusion

Andy Brush
Thanks to all who provided helpful input.  I finally hired Max to do the
installation.  Turns out the issue is that my server is a customized version
of Linux and Apache for "virtual host" use.  Additional problem of using
suexec.  Problem solved by creating a subdomain.

Andy

"A. Karl Kornel" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:42ac2c85$[hidden email]...

> In article <[hidden email]>,
> Max Kanat-Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 02:26 -0400, A. Karl Kornel wrote:
>> > AddHandler cgi-script cgi
>> > <FilesMatch ^(.*\.cgi)$>
>> >   Options +ExecCGI
>> > </FilesMatch>
>>
>>         This shouldn't be necessary if you have access to Apache's
>> httpd.conf
>> and you follow the Installation and Configuration instructions in the
>> Bugzilla Guide.
>>
>
>   That's true.  Although I do have access to httpd.conf, I put that
> into .htaccess to make it easier for me to move the bugzilla
> installation from place to place[1], keeps me from making too many
> changes to httpd.conf, and reminds me to use AddHandler (I keep
> forgetting about it)!
> --
> =============================
> |   Alfred Karl Kornel
> |   -- [hidden email]
> |   Member- Europa Research Group
> |   UNIX / RESOLVE Consultant
> =============================
>
> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet
> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
> Newsgroups
> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
> =----


_______________________________________________
mozilla-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-webtools