Browser does not show new "failed to connect"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Browser does not show new "failed to connect"

James Moe-3
On 03/15/2012 11:20 AM, Ray Davison wrote:

>
>> Is it on the same subnet as the router? (Say, 192.168.1.x?) Does the
>> remote computer have a gateway route defined to get to the router?
>>
> The remote system consists of one computer and one router.  When things
> work, enter 192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.1/, and a box opens asking
> for a user name and password.  It does not require me to know anything
> about subnets or gateways; good thing too because I mostly don't know
> anything about them.
>
  This is a difference between os/2 and windows. os/2 browsers do not
connect to 192.168.x.x hosts unless they are on the same subnet. So if
the router's address is 192.168.1.1, your computer's IP address must be
192.168.1.x, where 1 < x < 255.
  Browsers (IE at least) on windows, however, are not normally
constrained by such trivial settings.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Browser does not show new "failed to connect"

Steve Wendt
On 3/16/2012 10:57 AM, James Moe wrote:

>    This is a difference between os/2 and windows. os/2 browsers do not
> connect to 192.168.x.x hosts unless they are on the same subnet. So if
> the router's address is 192.168.1.1, your computer's IP address must be
> 192.168.1.x, where 1<  x<  255.
>    Browsers (IE at least) on windows, however, are not normally
> constrained by such trivial settings.

I don't think it has anything to do with the browser, but rather how the
routing tables are set up.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Browser does not show new "failed to connect"

Steve Wendt
In reply to this post by James Moe-3
On 3/16/2012 10:57 AM, James Moe wrote:

>    This is a difference between os/2 and windows. os/2 browsers do not
> connect to 192.168.x.x hosts unless they are on the same subnet. So if
> the router's address is 192.168.1.1, your computer's IP address must be
> 192.168.1.x, where 1<  x<  255.
>    Browsers (IE at least) on windows, however, are not normally
> constrained by such trivial settings.

I don't think it has anything to do with the browser, but rather how the
routing tables are set up.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Browser does not show new "failed to connect"

Ray Davison
In reply to this post by James Moe-3
James Moe wrote:

>>
> This is a difference between os/2 and windows. os/2 browsers do not
> connect to 192.168.x.x hosts unless they are on the same subnet. So
> if the router's address is 192.168.1.1, your computer's IP address
> must be 192.168.1.x, where 1<  x<  255. Browsers (IE at least) on
> windows, however, are not normally constrained by such trivial
> settings.
>
Since my WEB machine will now connect to the primary router by doing
nothing more that entering 192.168.1.1, are they somehow on the same
subnet without me doing anything to make that so?

Ray
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Browser does not show new "failed to connect"

Steve Wendt
On 3/16/2012 3:14 PM, Ray Davison wrote:

> Since my WEB machine will now connect to the primary router by doing
> nothing more that entering 192.168.1.1, are they somehow on the same
> subnet without me doing anything to make that so?

The common configuration is for the router to provide DHCP for anything
that connects to it, providing IP addresses on the same subnet.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Browser does not show new "failed to connect"

William L. Hartzell-2
In reply to this post by Ray Davison
Sir:

Ray Davison wrote:

> Ray Davison wrote:
>> I am trying to set up a router and I expect to get failed to connect
>> messages.
>
> The router story is here.
> [hidden email]
> I will share here if anyone is interested. Briefly, it is a wireless
> router acting as a remote wireless bridge. It used to work and now it
> does not.
>
> The subject here is SeaMonkey(SM), and why the OS/2 version, when it
> fails to connect, gives me no indication that it even tried.
>
> Ray
>
Reading all the posting to date, it seems that you have a failure to
connect the remote box to the router, not an SeaMonkey issue.  You need
to open the dhcp monitor program in the System Setup folder, click upon
the interface check box to open the connection and read the history of
connection attempts.  If it says that you have a connection (bound
state), then you need to ping the box as I previously suggested.  Only
if these tests are successful, can you say that you have a SeaMonkey
issue.  If they fail, then you need to go to Usenet and ask for help
there.  You said that without security enabled on XP you are successful
to connect.  That further suggest a hardware configuration issue.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Browser does not show new "failed to connect"

Paul Ratcliffe
In reply to this post by James Moe-3
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:57:59 -0700, James Moe <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>>> Is it on the same subnet as the router? (Say, 192.168.1.x?) Does the
>>> remote computer have a gateway route defined to get to the router?
>>>
>> The remote system consists of one computer and one router.  When things
>> work, enter 192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.1/, and a box opens asking
>> for a user name and password.  It does not require me to know anything
>> about subnets or gateways; good thing too because I mostly don't know
>> anything about them.
>>
>   This is a difference between os/2 and windows. os/2 browsers do not
> connect to 192.168.x.x hosts unless they are on the same subnet. So if
> the router's address is 192.168.1.1, your computer's IP address must be
> 192.168.1.x, where 1 < x < 255.
>   Browsers (IE at least) on windows, however, are not normally
> constrained by such trivial settings.

!!!!!!!!!!!!! BULLSHIT ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT

!!!!!!!!!!!!! BULLSHIT ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
12