Bring everyone together better

πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰-29
You are only authorised to read my posts in original html format. Please install a HTML enabled newsreader, such as latest Thunderbird <https://www.thunderbird.net>, to benefit from solutions and tricks posted in my posts.

--

With over 1.2 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer

Re: Bring everyone together better

Dave Royal
On 12 Jul 2020 06:00:00 +0100 πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰ wrote:

>You are only authorised to read my posts in original html format. Please
>install a HTML enabled newsreader, such as latest Thunderbird
><https://www.thunderbird.net>, to benefit from solutions and tricks posted in
>my posts.

How about:
"You are seeing this message because your newsreader or email program
does not display html :(
I suggest you try Thunderbird: <https:thunderbird.net>"

Friendlier - and more accurate since 'authorisation' is not required.
And bear in mind that Thunderbird does not run on mobile devices such as
the one I'm using.

And if you use my draft, do the unsmiley in ascii as I wrote it. Not all
devices have lots of emoticons in their fonts: the ones in your name
display as crossed-out-squares here.

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Bring everyone together better

Daniel-3
Dave Royal wrote on 12/07/2020 4:41 PM:

> On 12 Jul 2020 06:00:00 +0100 πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰ wrote:
>>
>> You are only authorised to read my posts in original html format. Please
>> install a HTML enabled newsreader, such as latest Thunderbird
>> <https://www.thunderbird.net>, to benefit from solutions and tricks posted in
>> my posts.
>>
> How about:
> "You are seeing this message because your newsreader or email program
> does not display html :(
> I suggest you try Thunderbird: <https:thunderbird.net>"
>
> Friendlier - and more accurate since 'authorisation' is not required.
> And bear in mind that Thunderbird does not run on mobile devices such as
> the one I'm using.
>
> And if you use my draft, do the unsmiley in ascii as I wrote it. Not all
> devices have lots of emoticons in their fonts: the ones in your name
> display as crossed-out-squares here.

Hmm! Yeah!! I was wondering who, apart from me, had "authorised" me to
only read GG's posts in original html format!!

Maybe I missed that "authorisation" e-mail because I had selected to
view e-mails and news posts in Plain text!! ;-P
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Bring everyone together better

PietB-2
Dave Royal wrote:
> Bad Guy wrote:
>> You are only authorised to read my posts in original html format.
>> Please install a HTML enabled newsreader, such as latest Thunderbird
>> to benefit from solutions and tricks posted in my posts.
>
> How about:
> "You are seeing this message because your newsreader or email program
> does not display html :(

Better:
My newsreader or email program protects me from the "solutions" and
tricks that come with html and put my security and privacy at risk.
And their filtering capability protects me from types like Bad Guy
and those who spray reliporn like a hippo sprays its dung.

-p

Re: Bring everyone together better

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 18:23:41, Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Dave Royal wrote on 12/07/2020 4:41 PM:
>> On 12 Jul 2020 06:00:00 +0100 0 >>>
>>> You are only authorised to read my posts in original html format. Please
>>> install a HTML enabled newsreader, such as latest Thunderbird
>>> <https://www.thunderbird.net>, to benefit from solutions and tricks
>>>posted in
>>> my posts.
>>>
>> How about:
>> "You are seeing this message because your newsreader or email program
>> does not display html :(
>> I suggest you try Thunderbird: <https:thunderbird.net>"
>>  Friendlier - and more accurate since 'authorisation' is not
>>required.

But less accurate since you omitted the "//". (I think if you include
the "https:", you need the "//".)

>> And bear in mind that Thunderbird does not run on mobile devices such as
>> the one I'm using.
>>  And if you use my draft, do the unsmiley in ascii as I wrote it. Not
>>all
>> devices have lots of emoticons in their fonts: the ones in your name
>> display as crossed-out-squares here.

If you put them left-handed, nothing I've seen yet will turn them into
emoticons (-:.

>Hmm! Yeah!! I was wondering who, apart from me, had "authorised" me to
>only read GG's posts in original html format!!
>
>Maybe I missed that "authorisation" e-mail because I had selected to
>view e-mails and news posts in Plain text!! ;-P

(-: Most people set a kill rule, so that the only time we see any of his
posts anyway is when people respond to him )-:. [I could _probably_ kill
those too, but don't want to.]

Worst programme ever made? I was in hospital once having a knee operation and I
watched a whole episode of "EastEnders". Ugh! I suppose it's true to life. But
so is diarrhoea - and I don't want to see that on television. - Patrick Moore,
in Radio Times 12-18 May 2007.

Re: Bring everyone together better

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 11:04:35, PietB
<www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:
[]
>Better:
>My newsreader or email program protects me from the "solutions" and
>tricks that come with html and put my security and privacy at risk.
>And their filtering capability protects me from types like Bad Guy
>and those who spray reliporn like a hippo sprays its dung.
>
>-p

(-:

My news/email client _can_ display HTML - but only the formatting
aspects (and those only to a limited extent); it doesn't run any script,
or even show online images. (If a post/email _is_ multipart, it shows a
couple of buttons at the top, and I can choose whether to read the plain
text or HTML version.)

Worst programme ever made? I was in hospital once having a knee operation and I
watched a whole episode of "EastEnders". Ugh! I suppose it's true to life. But
so is diarrhoea - and I don't want to see that on television. - Patrick Moore,
in Radio Times 12-18 May 2007.

Re: Bring everyone together better

WaltS48-12
On 7/12/20 8:54 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 18:23:41, Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dave Royal wrote on 12/07/2020 4:41 PM:
>>> On 12 Jul 2020 06:00:00 +0100 0 >>>
>>>>
>>> How about:
>>> "You are seeing this message because your newsreader or email program
>>> does not display html :(
>>> I suggest you try Thunderbird: <https:thunderbird.net>"
>>> Β Friendlier - and more accurate since 'authorisation' is not required.
>
> But less accurate since you omitted the "//". (I think if you include
> the "https:", you need the "//".)

Not sure how the "//" was omitted but they show in my Status bar when
hovering the mouse over the link and clicking it takes me to the proper
site.

Also show in the View Source of the OP.

"such as latest Thunderbird <https://www.thunderbird.net>"

<snip>
--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/

On 12 Jul 2020 13:54:43 +0100 J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>But less accurate since you omitted the "//". (I think if you include
>the "https:", you need the "//".)

You're right: I accidentally omitted the two slashes. But it works with zero
or more slashes.

>If you put them left-handed, nothing I've seen yet will turn them into
>emoticons (-:.
I care not whether the unsmiley is recognised and converted by the agent, only
that it should be readable and (potentially) comprehensible. Your backwards
smiley is ambiguous.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Bring everyone together better

Wolf K.
On 2020-07-12 02:41, Dave Royal wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2020 06:00:00 +0100 πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰ wrote:
>>
>> You are only authorised to read my posts in original html format. Please
>> install a HTML enabled newsreader, such as latest Thunderbird
>> <https://www.thunderbird.net>, to benefit from solutions and tricks posted in
>> my posts.
>>
> How about:
[snip courteous reply to above]

How about "Up yours"

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: Bring everyone together better

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 10:12:30, Dave Royal <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>On 12 Jul 2020 13:54:43 +0100 J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>But less accurate since you omitted the "//". (I think if you include
>>the "https:", you need the "//".)
>>
>You're right: I accidentally omitted the two slashes. But it works with zero
>or more slashes.

That probably depends what it's being viewed with.

>>If you put them left-handed, nothing I've seen yet will turn them into
>>emoticons (-:.
>I care not whether the unsmiley is recognised and converted by the agent, only
>that it should be readable and (potentially) comprehensible. Your backwards
>smiley is ambiguous.

Ambiguous how? If the ends of the mouth are turned towards the eyes,
it's smiling, surely (-: :-)? Surely no less biguous than the
right-handed version, anyway.

You can tell that you are getting old when typing VCR into a document [results
that the spell checker] wants to change it to Vicar.
- Brian Gaff in uk.tech.broadcast, 2016-3-6

Re: Bring everyone together better

Jim Fisher
On 12 Jul 2020 at 6:00,  Good Guy  wrote:

> You are only authorised to read my posts in original html format. Please install
> a HTML enabled newsreader, such as latest Thunderbird
> <https://www.thunderbird.net>, to benefit from solutions and tricks posted in my
> posts.

This is the second time in a couple of days I've received this stupid message
from so-called "Good Guy". What is especially ridiculous about it is that it
arrives as plain text only, with no HTML version, so I couldn't read it in HTML
if I wanted to. Incidentally, I always read posts to this group (and all
others) in my email client, not using a news reader, and I shall continue to do
so.

Jim Fisher

On 12 Jul 2020 at 11:33, Wolf K wrote:

> On 2020-07-12 02:41, Dave Royal wrote:
> > On 12 Jul 2020 06:00:00 +0100  Good Guy  wrote:
> >>
> >> You are only authorised to read my posts in original html format. Please
> >> install a HTML enabled newsreader, such as latest Thunderbird
> >> <https://www.thunderbird.net>, to benefit from solutions and tricks posted in
> >> my posts.
> >>
> > How about:
> [snip courteous reply to above]
>
> How about "Up yours"

+1

Jim Fisher

Re: Bring everyone together better

Joy Beeson
On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 01:41:54 -0500, Dave Royal<[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2020 06:00:00 +0100 ? Good Guy ? wrote:
> >
> >You are only authorised to read my posts in original html format. Please
> >install a HTML enabled newsreader, such as latest Thunderbird
> ><https://www.thunderbird.net>, to benefit from solutions and tricks posted in
> >my posts.
> >
> How about:
> "You are seeing this message because your newsreader or email program
> does not display html :(
> I suggest you try Thunderbird: <https:thunderbird.net>"

I'm not pushy; if he doesn't want me to read his posts, I won't
download them.  I have set a filter to make sure I'm not thoughtlessly
rude.

Kinder makes me wonder why he bothers to write and post them, but
that's his business, and none of mine.

--
Joy Beeson
joy al beeson at gmail dot com

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 19:29:54, Jim Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 12 Jul 2020 at 6:00,  Good Guy  wrote:
>
>> You are only authorised to read my posts in original html format.
>>Please install
>> a HTML enabled newsreader, such as latest Thunderbird
>> <https://www.thunderbird.net>, to benefit from solutions and tricks
>>posted in my
>> posts.
>
>This is the second time in a couple of days I've received this stupid message
>from so-called "Good Guy". What is especially ridiculous about it is that it
>arrives as plain text only, with no HTML version, so I couldn't read it
>in HTML
>if I wanted to. Incidentally, I always read posts to this group (and all
>others) in my email client, not using a news reader, and I shall
>continue to do
>so.
>
>Jim Fisher

Why on earth don't you have him killfiled?

(For _our_ benefit if nothing else. "Wearing a killfile will stop you
passing on GoodGuyvirus to others.")

Now, don't worry. We'll be right behind you. Hiding. (First series, fit the
sixth.)

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote on 12/07/2020 10:54 PM:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 18:23:41, Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:

<Snip>

>> Hmm! Yeah!! I was wondering who, apart from me, had "authorised" me to
>> only read GG's posts in original html format!!
>>
>> Maybe I missed that "authorisation" e-mail because I had selected to
>> view e-mails and news posts in Plain text!! ;-P
>
> (-: Most people set a kill rule, so that the only time we see any of his
> posts anyway is when people respond to him )-:. [I could _probably_ kill
> those too, but don't want to.]

I live in hope that what gets posted here-abouts may be useful. I did,
some time ago, find out something from a post by GG, so haven't KF'd GG
but, if he wants to get narky, who cares.

On 12 Jul 2020 at 19:49, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 19:29:54, Jim Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >On 12 Jul 2020 at 6:00,  Good Guy  wrote:
> >
> >> You are only authorised to read my posts in original html format.
> >>Please install
> >> a HTML enabled newsreader, such as latest Thunderbird
> >> <https://www.thunderbird.net>, to benefit from solutions and tricks
> >>posted in my
> >> posts.
> >
> >This is the second time in a couple of days I've received this stupid message
> >from so-called "Good Guy". What is especially ridiculous about it is that it
> >arrives as plain text only, with no HTML version, so I couldn't read it in HTML
> >if I wanted to. Incidentally, I always read posts to this group (and all
> >others) in my email client, not using a news reader, and I shall continue to do
> >so.
> >
> >Jim Fisher
> >

> Why on earth don't you have him killfiled?

In the past he has occasionally posted something interesting, but if he
persists with this nonsense then of course I'll do just that.