Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

1234 ... 7

Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

Sailfish-4
REF:
http://www.cnet.com/news/brendan-eich-mozillas-alpha-nerd-takes-over-as-ceo-q-a/

[excerpt quote=\"
*Is Firefox OS your top priority now* ?

*Eich* : I see it as the highest priority. It's like the great circus
act -- spinning plates while doing back handsprings, and we are
definitely turning mobile in the only way that can be really effective.
The highest priority is to get volume to Firefox OS, especially the $25
phones.
\" /]

Congratulations are in order. I don't envy his #1 priority but I do wish
him success.

--
Sailfish

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> REF:
> http://www.cnet.com/news/brendan-eich-mozillas-alpha-nerd-takes-over-as-ceo-q-a/

> Congratulations are in order. I don't envy his #1 priority but I do
> wish him success.

Me too.

<https://brendaneich.com/2014/03/mozilla-news/>

Not much more info there, other than that Li Gong will be the new COO.
I wonder who the new CTO is (or will be).

»Q« <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > REF:
> > http://www.cnet.com/news/brendan-eich-mozillas-alpha-nerd-takes-over-as-ceo-q-a/
>
> > Congratulations are in order. I don't envy his #1 priority but I do
> > wish him success.
>
> Me too.
>
> <https://brendaneich.com/2014/03/mozilla-news/>
>
> Not much more info there, other than that Li Gong will be the new COO.
> I wonder who the new CTO is (or will be).

Oops, I meant to link to
<https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/03/24/mozilla-leadership-changes/>,
which links to both Eich's and Baker's posts about it.

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 3/24/2014
1:03 PM:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> REF:
>> http://www.cnet.com/news/brendan-eich-mozillas-alpha-nerd-takes-over-as-ceo-q-a/
>
>> Congratulations are in order. I don't envy his #1 priority but I do
>> wish him success.
>
> Me too.
>
> <https://brendaneich.com/2014/03/mozilla-news/>
>
> Not much more info there, other than that Li Gong will be the new COO.
> I wonder who the new CTO is (or will be).

My thoughts exactly, do you think there would be a community uproar
(unjustly, imo) if they promoted Asa?

--
Sailfish

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 3/24/2014
> 1:03 PM:
> > In <news:[hidden email]>,
> > Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> REF:
> >> http://www.cnet.com/news/brendan-eich-mozillas-alpha-nerd-takes-over-as-ceo-q-a/
> >
> >> Congratulations are in order. I don't envy his #1 priority but I do
> >> wish him success.
> >
> > Me too.
> >
> > <https://brendaneich.com/2014/03/mozilla-news/>
> >
> > Not much more info there, other than that Li Gong will be the new
> > COO. I wonder who the new CTO is (or will be).
> >
> My thoughts exactly, do you think there would be a community uproar
> (unjustly, imo) if they promoted Asa?

Does he technical knowledge necessary?

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 3/24/2014
3:25 PM:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 3/24/2014
>> 1:03 PM:

>>> Me too.
>>>
>>> <https://brendaneich.com/2014/03/mozilla-news/>
>>>
>>> Not much more info there, other than that Li Gong will be the new
>>> COO. I wonder who the new CTO is (or will be).
>>>
>> My thoughts exactly, do you think there would be a community uproar
>> (unjustly, imo) if they promoted Asa?
>
> Does he technical knowledge necessary?

REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asa_Dotzler

Well, his background isn't chopped liver but as to whether he is the
"right" person within Mozilla, I couldn't say. Although, I would think
he qualifies for the short list, no?

--
Sailfish

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 3/24/2014
> 3:25 PM:
> > In <news:[hidden email]>,
> > Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on
> >> 3/24/2014 1:03 PM:

> >> My thoughts exactly, do you think there would be a community
> >> uproar (unjustly, imo) if they promoted Asa?
> >
> > Does he technical knowledge necessary?
> >
> REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asa_Dotzler
>
> Well, his background isn't chopped liver but as to whether he is the
> "right" person within Mozilla, I couldn't say. Although, I would
> think he qualifies for the short list, no?

I really have no idea.

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 3/24/2014
1:03 PM:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> REF:
>> http://www.cnet.com/news/brendan-eich-mozillas-alpha-nerd-takes-over-as-ceo-q-a/
>
>> Congratulations are in order. I don't envy his #1 priority but I do
>> wish him success.
>
> Me too.
>
> <https://brendaneich.com/2014/03/mozilla-news/>
>
> Not much more info there, other than that Li Gong will be the new COO.
> I wonder who the new CTO is (or will be).

REF:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/24/mozilla_cofounder_brendan_eich_takes_over_as_ceo/

[excerpt quote=\"
As part of the transition, the company confirmed to The Reg that it will
be eliminating the CTO role, saying "the function will be fulfilled by a
mixture of activities in our research group and in our engineering groups."
\" /]

That's an interesting C-level position to eliminate in a tech company.

--
Sailfish

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

WaltS48
On 03/24/2014 11:59 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 3/24/2014
> 1:03 PM:
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> REF:
>>> http://www.cnet.com/news/brendan-eich-mozillas-alpha-nerd-takes-over-as-ceo-q-a/
>>>

>>> Congratulations are in order. I don't envy his #1 priority but I do
>>> wish him success.
>>
>> Me too.
>>
>> <https://brendaneich.com/2014/03/mozilla-news/>
>> Not much more info there, other than that Li Gong will be the new COO.
>> I wonder who the new CTO is (or will be).
>>
> REF:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/24/mozilla_cofounder_brendan_eich_takes_over_as_ceo/
>

> [excerpt quote=\"
> As part of the transition, the company confirmed to The Reg that it will
> be eliminating the CTO role, saying "the function will be fulfilled by a
> mixture of activities in our research group and in our engineering groups."
> \" /]
>
> That's an interesting C-level position to eliminate in a tech company.

Committee Technical Officer

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS graced us with on 3/25/2014
5:36 AM:

> On 03/24/2014 11:59 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 3/24/2014
>> 1:03 PM:

>>> Me too.
>>>
>>> <https://brendaneich.com/2014/03/mozilla-news/>
>>> Not much more info there, other than that Li Gong will be the new COO.
>>> I wonder who the new CTO is (or will be).
>>>
>> REF:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/24/mozilla_cofounder_brendan_eich_takes_over_as_ceo/
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> As part of the transition, the company confirmed to The Reg that it will
>> be eliminating the CTO role, saying "the function will be fulfilled by a
>> mixture of activities in our research group and in our engineering
>> groups."
>> \" /]
>>
>> That's an interesting C-level position to eliminate in a tech company.
>
> Committee Technical Officer

Well, sure, they could do that but that would be akin to creating flying
objects on toolbar buttons ...

Oh, wait! :-)

--
Sailfish

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
3/24/2014 11:23 AM:

> REF:
> http://www.cnet.com/news/brendan-eich-mozillas-alpha-nerd-takes-over-as-ceo-q-a/
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> *Is Firefox OS your top priority now* ?
>
> *Eich* : I see it as the highest priority. It's like the great circus
> act -- spinning plates while doing back handsprings, and we are
> definitely turning mobile in the only way that can be really effective.
> The highest priority is to get volume to Firefox OS, especially the $25
> phones.
> \" /]
>
> Congratulations are in order. I don't envy his #1 priority but I do wish
> him success.
REF:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/03/mozilla-employees-to-brendan-eich-step-down/

[excerpt quote=\"
*Mozilla employees tell Brendan Eich he needs to step down*
\" /]

What is it about Mozilla that solicits all the drama from theirs users
and employees?

Tedious :-(

--
Sailfish

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

digitaltoast
On Friday, 28 March 2014 12:51:42 UTC, Sailfish  wrote:

> What is it about Mozilla that solicits all the drama from theirs users
> and employees?
> Tedious :-(

Worse than tedious - it's nasty bullying of Eich. I have no opinion on gay marriage, but this isn't about that, is it? It's about the hypocrisy of people campaigning for the right and enablement of free speech across the web, uncensored and unsnooped, the right to say, hear and discuss opinions, unless it's the "wrong" opinion. Can you think of any other group of people who operate like that? Of course people have the right to criticise his opinion, but that's a far step from an organised campaign of bullying for a man to lose his job.

It's nasty and it's pathetic.

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 3/28/2014 6:09 AM:

> On Friday, 28 March 2014 12:51:42 UTC, Sailfish  wrote:
>
>> What is it about Mozilla that solicits all the drama from theirs users
>> and employees?
>> Tedious :-(
>
> Worse than tedious - it's nasty bullying of Eich. I have no opinion on gay marriage, but this isn't about that, is it? It's about the hypocrisy of people campaigning for the right and enablement of free speech across the web, uncensored and unsnooped, the right to say, hear and discuss opinions, unless it's the "wrong" opinion. Can you think of any other group of people who operate like that? Of course people have the right to criticise his opinion, but that's a far step from an organised campaign of bullying for a man to lose his job.
>
> It's nasty and it's pathetic.

I will go ever farther, if Brendan steps down (either willingly or
otherwise) because of this AND there is no evidence that comes forth
that he ever acted to discriminate on any Mozilla employee then I will
stop using Mozilla products.

Honestly, the guy created Javascript, for gawdsakes! When any of these
whining employees can demonstrate that their contributions to the web
comes any where near what his have been, then let them provide the
evidence. Otherwise, they should be ashamed of themselves for their
vainglorious attempt to pull down this industry legend AND hurt the very
company that has given them employment.

--
Sailfish

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

Ron Hunter
On 3/28/2014 8:09 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Friday, 28 March 2014 12:51:42 UTC, Sailfish  wrote:
>
>> What is it about Mozilla that solicits all the drama from theirs
>> users and employees? Tedious :-(
>
> Worse than tedious - it's nasty bullying of Eich. I have no opinion
> on gay marriage, but this isn't about that, is it? It's about the
> hypocrisy of people campaigning for the right and enablement of free
> speech across the web, uncensored and unsnooped, the right to say,
> hear and discuss opinions, unless it's the "wrong" opinion. Can you
> think of any other group of people who operate like that? Of course
> people have the right to criticise his opinion, but that's a far step
> from an organised campaign of bullying for a man to lose his job.
>
> It's nasty and it's pathetic.

Well, expecting 'unsnooped' is just not realistic in this modern world.
  Uncensored is only barely feasible, in some countries, and hopeless in
others.

On 3/28/2014 8:23 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 3/28/2014 6:09 AM:
>> On Friday, 28 March 2014 12:51:42 UTC, Sailfish  wrote:
>>
>>> What is it about Mozilla that solicits all the drama from theirs
>>> users and employees? Tedious :-(
>>
>> Worse than tedious - it's nasty bullying of Eich. I have no opinion on
>> gay marriage, but this isn't about that, is it? It's about the
>> hypocrisy of people campaigning for the right and enablement of free
>> speech across the web, uncensored and unsnooped, the right to say,
>> hear and discuss opinions, unless it's the "wrong" opinion. Can you
>> think of any other group of people who operate like that? Of course
>> people have the right to criticise his opinion, but that's a far step
>> from an organised campaign of bullying for a man to lose his job.
>>
>> It's nasty and it's pathetic.
>>
> I will go ever farther, if Brendan steps down (either willingly or
> otherwise) because of this AND there is no evidence that comes forth
> that he ever acted to discriminate on any Mozilla employee then I will
> stop using Mozilla products.
>
> Honestly, the guy created Javascript, for gawdsakes! When any of these
> whining employees can demonstrate that their contributions to the web
> comes any where near what his have been, then let them provide the
> evidence. Otherwise, they should be ashamed of themselves for their
> vainglorious attempt to pull down this industry legend AND hurt the very
> company that has given them employment.

Well, if he is the guy who named it such that it becomes confused with
Java, then maybe they should just hang him.  Grin.  People often tend to
bite the very hand that feeds, them, unfortunately.

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

Sailfish-4
3/28/2014 10:11 AM:

> On 3/28/2014 8:23 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>> with on 3/28/2014 6:09 AM:

>>> Worse than tedious - it's nasty bullying of Eich. I have no opinion on
>>> gay marriage, but this isn't about that, is it? It's about the
>>> hypocrisy of people campaigning for the right and enablement of free
>>> speech across the web, uncensored and unsnooped, the right to say,
>>> hear and discuss opinions, unless it's the "wrong" opinion. Can you
>>> think of any other group of people who operate like that? Of course
>>> people have the right to criticise his opinion, but that's a far step
>>> from an organised campaign of bullying for a man to lose his job.
>>>
>>> It's nasty and it's pathetic.
>>>
>> I will go ever farther, if Brendan steps down (either willingly or
>> otherwise) because of this AND there is no evidence that comes forth
>> that he ever acted to discriminate on any Mozilla employee then I will
>> stop using Mozilla products.
>>
>> Honestly, the guy created Javascript, for gawdsakes! When any of these
>> whining employees can demonstrate that their contributions to the web
>> comes any where near what his have been, then let them provide the
>> evidence. Otherwise, they should be ashamed of themselves for their
>> vainglorious attempt to pull down this industry legend AND hurt the very
>> company that has given them employment.
>>
> Well, if he is the guy who named it such that it becomes confused with
> Java, then maybe they should just hang him.  Grin.  People often tend to
> bite the very hand that feeds, them, unfortunately.

Yes, and in doing that, there are generally repercussions.

--
Sailfish

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> REF:
> http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/03/mozilla-employees-to-brendan-eich-step-down/
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> *Mozilla employees tell Brendan Eich he needs to step down*
> \" /]

Yesterday, I followed this on twitter by keeping the search page for
@brendaneich open.  I'll never do that again -- twitter, like everyplace
else with easy access, is full of morons, and there are plenty of them
on all sides of this issue.  It's even more full of people just posting
links to a handful of articles and blog posts.  I'll try to summarize
what little I learned.

Only a handful of mozilla employees called for him to step down, plus
at least one former employee.

A lot more people inside mozilla are uncomfortable with his selection
as CEO, but twitter is a horrible way to try to gauge how many or to
what extent.

Three or four people have written "thoughtful" blog posts trying to
explain why they think it's important for him to step down and/or
apologize.  They weren't thoughtful enough for me to save the links,
sorry.

A lot of morons (outside mozilla) thought Eich's blog post about
inclusiveness at mozilla was meant to be an apology for his donation.
They criticize it for being a lousy apology.

Quite a few people believe the three board members who resigned did so
over the Prop 8 issue, whereas the only indications so far are that
they did so because they couldn't steer the board in the direction they
wanted.  Apparently, they thought an expert in the mobile market should
be the new CEO.

A few hashtag activists are calling for a boycott of mozilla.  While
there are lots of people ditching Firefox, there doesn't seem to be any
momentum (yet, at least) for a boycott.

A side drama:  One mozilla employee had a meeting with Eich to make sure
he would be behind an existing inclusiveness project and got his
assurance that he would be.  He mentioned it in his blog post about
inclusiveness, and the employee is being accused of providing him with
"cover".

The only heavy hitter outside mozilla I saw weigh in was Jimmy "teh
wikipedia" Wales.  He suggested that it would help if Eich explained
why he supported Prop 8.  In followup tweets, it looked like he'll be
ditching Firefox.

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 3/29/2014
1:10 PM:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> REF:
>> http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/03/mozilla-employees-to-brendan-eich-step-down/
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> *Mozilla employees tell Brendan Eich he needs to step down*
>> \" /]
>
> Yesterday, I followed this on twitter by keeping the search page for
> @brendaneich open.  I'll never do that again -- twitter, like everyplace
> else with easy access, is full of morons, and there are plenty of them
> on all sides of this issue.  It's even more full of people just posting
> links to a handful of articles and blog posts.  I'll try to summarize
> what little I learned.
>
> Only a handful of mozilla employees called for him to step down, plus
> at least one former employee.

Yes, I probably read the same ones.

> A lot more people inside mozilla are uncomfortable with his selection
> as CEO, but twitter is a horrible way to try to gauge how many or to
> what extent.

Twitter is bad for any airing of 1st world rage. Cheap grace.

> Three or four people have written "thoughtful" blog posts trying to
> explain why they think it's important for him to step down and/or
> apologize.  They weren't thoughtful enough for me to save the links,
> sorry.
>
> A lot of morons (outside mozilla) thought Eich's blog post about
> inclusiveness at mozilla was meant to be an apology for his donation.
> They criticize it for being a lousy apology.

huh, pathetic. He shouldn't apologize nor should Mozilla do anymore
explaining than what they've done.

> Quite a few people believe the three board members who resigned did so
> over the Prop 8 issue, whereas the only indications so far are that
> they did so because they couldn't steer the board in the direction they
> wanted.  Apparently, they thought an expert in the mobile market should
> be the new CEO.

Yeah, I read that but it's hard to believe that the timing of this was
just coincidental.

> A few hashtag activists are calling for a boycott of mozilla.  While
> there are lots of people ditching Firefox, there doesn't seem to be any
> momentum (yet, at least) for a boycott.

Yeah, like this one who I was able to easily out as being an opportunist
like I suspect many who are jumping on this bandwagon:
http://jeffknupp.com/blog/2014/03/29/why-im-boycotting-mozilla-products/#comment-1309799524

> A side drama:  One mozilla employee had a meeting with Eich to make sure
> he would be behind an existing inclusiveness project and got his
> assurance that he would be.  He mentioned it in his blog post about
> inclusiveness, and the employee is being accused of providing him with
> "cover".
>
> The only heavy hitter outside mozilla I saw weigh in was Jimmy "teh
> wikipedia" Wales.  He suggested that it would help if Eich explained
> why he supported Prop 8.  In followup tweets, it looked like he'll be
> ditching Firefox.

Well, looks like I'll be stopping my yearly $50 donation Wikepedia if
they ever use Jimmy in their soliciting campaign. I wouldn't be
surprised that he used Chrome all along, as well.

On 03/29/2014 04:10 PM, »Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> REF:
>> http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/03/mozilla-employees-to-brendan-eich-step-down/
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> *Mozilla employees tell Brendan Eich he needs to step down*
>> \" /]
>
> Yesterday, I followed this on twitter by keeping the search page for
> @brendaneich open.  I'll never do that again -- twitter, like everyplace
> else with easy access, is full of morons, and there are plenty of them
> on all sides of this issue.  It's even more full of people just posting
> links to a handful of articles and blog posts.  I'll try to summarize
> what little I learned.
>
> Only a handful of mozilla employees called for him to step down, plus
> at least one former employee.
>
> A lot more people inside mozilla are uncomfortable with his selection
> as CEO, but twitter is a horrible way to try to gauge how many or to
> what extent.
>
> Three or four people have written "thoughtful" blog posts trying to
> explain why they think it's important for him to step down and/or
> apologize.  They weren't thoughtful enough for me to save the links,
> sorry.
>
> A lot of morons (outside mozilla) thought Eich's blog post about
> inclusiveness at mozilla was meant to be an apology for his donation.
> They criticize it for being a lousy apology.
>
> Quite a few people believe the three board members who resigned did so
> over the Prop 8 issue, whereas the only indications so far are that
> they did so because they couldn't steer the board in the direction they
> wanted.  Apparently, they thought an expert in the mobile market should
> be the new CEO.
>
> A few hashtag activists are calling for a boycott of mozilla.  While
> there are lots of people ditching Firefox, there doesn't seem to be any
> momentum (yet, at least) for a boycott.
>
> A side drama:  One mozilla employee had a meeting with Eich to make sure
> he would be behind an existing inclusiveness project and got his
> assurance that he would be.  He mentioned it in his blog post about
> inclusiveness, and the employee is being accused of providing him with
> "cover".
>
> The only heavy hitter outside mozilla I saw weigh in was Jimmy "teh
> wikipedia" Wales.  He suggested that it would help if Eich explained
> why he supported Prop 8.  In followup tweets, it looked like he'll be
> ditching Firefox.

Nice to know there were no supporters of Prop 8 at Google (Chrome),
Microsoft (IE), Apple (Safari), and other major or minor companies.

Maybe there were supporters and we have to boycott everything.

[quote]
While I, too, would like him to make a statement clarifying things
further, I also *don’t think it’s any of my business*. As long as
Brendan’s feelings don’t impact his work functions, I honestly don’t
care what he thinks.
[/quote]

REF:
<http://www.bitstampede.com/2014/03/29/on-brendan-eich-as-ceo-of-mozilla/>

Neither do I care what he thinks, and I don't need him to make any
statement.

Re: Brendan Eich, Mozilla's alpha nerd, takes over as CEO (Q&A)

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS graced us with on 3/29/2014
12:37 PM:

+1

--
Sailfish