Bookmarks do not display in sidebar

Peter Brown
Hi All

I think I am running the latest - and sorry to say it but definitely not
the greatest - Seamonkey for OS/2: Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5; rv:38.0)
Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 SeaMonkey/2.35

A few minutes ago I clicked a link on a webpage and Seamonkey hung the
system.

After restarting system and Seamonkey I find my Bookmarks are missing
from the sidebar. I closed the sidebar and reopened it - still missing.
I closed the sidebar and Seamoney; restarted Seamonkey and opened the
sidebar - still missing.

I opened the Bookmarks Manager - no bookmarks.

I should mention that *all* bookmarks are visible and work when simply
scrolling down the list from the Bookmarks menu item.

So, the bookmarks are not missing they simply no longer appear in the
Sidebar or Bookmarks Manager windows. How do I rectify this?

Regards

Pete

Re: Bookmarks do not display in sidebar

Peter Brown
Hi All

Peter Brown wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I think I am running the latest - and sorry to say it but definitely not
> the greatest - Seamonkey for OS/2: Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5; rv:38.0)
> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 SeaMonkey/2.35
>
> A few minutes ago I clicked a link on a webpage and Seamonkey hung the
> system.
>
> After restarting system and Seamonkey I find my Bookmarks are missing
> from the sidebar. I closed the sidebar and reopened it - still missing.
> I closed the sidebar and Seamoney; restarted Seamonkey and opened the
> sidebar - still missing.
>
> I opened the Bookmarks Manager - no bookmarks.
>
> I should mention that *all* bookmarks are visible and work when simply
> scrolling down the list from the Bookmarks menu item.
>
> So, the bookmarks are not missing they simply no longer appear in the
> Sidebar or Bookmarks Manager windows. How do I rectify this?
>

> Regards
>
> Pete

The answer seems to be: With Seamonkey closed delete places.sqlite from
the affected Profile then restart Seamonkey which recreates
places.sqlite from an outdated backup - only lost a few recent bookmarks.

Peter Brown wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I think I am running the latest - and sorry to say it but definitely not
> the greatest - Seamonkey for OS/2: Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5; rv:38.0)
> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 SeaMonkey/2.35
>
> A few minutes ago I clicked a link on a webpage and Seamonkey hung the
> system.
>
> After restarting system and Seamonkey I find my Bookmarks are missing
> from the sidebar. I closed the sidebar and reopened it - still missing.
> I closed the sidebar and Seamoney; restarted Seamonkey and opened the
> sidebar - still missing.
>
> I opened the Bookmarks Manager - no bookmarks.
>
> I should mention that *all* bookmarks are visible and work when simply
> scrolling down the list from the Bookmarks menu item.
>
> So, the bookmarks are not missing they simply no longer appear in the
> Sidebar or Bookmarks Manager windows. How do I rectify this?
>

> Regards
>
> Pete

This problem has resurfaced due to Seamonkey hanging again for no
obvious reason - I was not even trying to play a video. It leads me on
to 2 questions:

1] Does anyone have this build running in a stable manner?

2] Why can I use Bookmarks available from the dropdown menu but
Bookmarks Manager and the Sidebar both fail to load those same
bookmarks? As Bookmarks are available from the dropdown menu it seems to
indicate there is nothing wrong with the bookmarks file.

Regards

Pete

Re: Bookmarks do not display in sidebar

Dave Yeo-3
On 10/11/16 09:55 AM, Peter Brown wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Peter Brown wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I think I am running the latest - and sorry to say it but definitely not
>> the greatest - Seamonkey for OS/2: Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5; rv:38.0)
>> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 SeaMonkey/2.35
>>
>> A few minutes ago I clicked a link on a webpage and Seamonkey hung the
>> system.
>>
>> After restarting system and Seamonkey I find my Bookmarks are missing
>> from the sidebar. I closed the sidebar and reopened it - still missing.
>> I closed the sidebar and Seamoney; restarted Seamonkey and opened the
>> sidebar - still missing.
>>
>> I opened the Bookmarks Manager - no bookmarks.
>>
>> I should mention that *all* bookmarks are visible and work when simply
>> scrolling down the list from the Bookmarks menu item.
>>
>> So, the bookmarks are not missing they simply no longer appear in the
>> Sidebar or Bookmarks Manager windows. How do I rectify this?
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Pete
>>

> This problem has resurfaced due to Seamonkey hanging again for no
> obvious reason - I was not even trying to play a video. It leads me on
> to 2 questions:
>
> 1] Does anyone have this build running in a stable manner?

It has been very stable here as long as I reboot regularly, perhaps
every second day, otherwise it'll trap or freeze the system. Firefox has
the same issue, probably due to fragmented shared memory. This is a big
problem on Windows 32bit as well though it just crashes the browser

> 2] Why can I use Bookmarks available from the dropdown menu but
> Bookmarks Manager and the Sidebar both fail to load those same
> bookmarks? As Bookmarks are available from the dropdown menu it seems to
> indicate there is nothing wrong with the bookmarks file.

I'd guess places.sqlite corruption. Our port is currently somewhat
broken with sqlite files not being finalized on closure and possibly
other problems with them. I did open an issue at bitwise's github page
as the issue affects Firefox as well. You can tell because the wal
(write after log) files are still there after shutdown.
I've had success fixing issues in places.sqlite by opening an older SM
and then closing it, by older I mean SM 2.21 or older. I was actually
using 2.5 because it was handy (watch out for the webfont crash)
Dave

Re: Bookmarks do not display in sidebar

Dave Yeo-3
On 10/11/16 09:55 AM, Peter Brown wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Peter Brown wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I think I am running the latest - and sorry to say it but definitely not
>> the greatest - Seamonkey for OS/2: Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5; rv:38.0)
>> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 SeaMonkey/2.35
>>
>> A few minutes ago I clicked a link on a webpage and Seamonkey hung the
>> system.
>>
>> After restarting system and Seamonkey I find my Bookmarks are missing
>> from the sidebar. I closed the sidebar and reopened it - still missing.
>> I closed the sidebar and Seamoney; restarted Seamonkey and opened the
>> sidebar - still missing.
>>
>> I opened the Bookmarks Manager - no bookmarks.
>>
>> I should mention that *all* bookmarks are visible and work when simply
>> scrolling down the list from the Bookmarks menu item.
>>
>> So, the bookmarks are not missing they simply no longer appear in the
>> Sidebar or Bookmarks Manager windows. How do I rectify this?
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Pete
>>

> This problem has resurfaced due to Seamonkey hanging again for no
> obvious reason - I was not even trying to play a video. It leads me on
> to 2 questions:
>
> 1] Does anyone have this build running in a stable manner?

It has been very stable here as long as I reboot regularly, perhaps
every second day, otherwise it'll trap or freeze the system. Firefox has
the same issue, probably due to fragmented shared memory. This is a big
problem on Windows 32bit as well though it just crashes the browser

> 2] Why can I use Bookmarks available from the dropdown menu but
> Bookmarks Manager and the Sidebar both fail to load those same
> bookmarks? As Bookmarks are available from the dropdown menu it seems to
> indicate there is nothing wrong with the bookmarks file.

I'd guess places.sqlite corruption. Our port is currently somewhat
broken with sqlite files not being finalized on closure and possibly
other problems with them. I did open an issue at bitwise's github page
as the issue affects Firefox as well. You can tell because the wal
(write after log) files are still there after shutdown.
I've had success fixing issues in places.sqlite by opening an older SM
and then closing it, by older I mean SM 2.21 or older. I was actually
using 2.5 because it was handy (watch out for the webfont crash)
Dave

Re: Bookmarks do not display in sidebar

Peter Brown
Hi Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> On 10/11/16 09:55 AM, Peter Brown wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> Peter Brown wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I think I am running the latest - and sorry to say it but definitely not
>>> the greatest - Seamonkey for OS/2: Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5; rv:38.0)
>>> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 SeaMonkey/2.35
>>>
>>> A few minutes ago I clicked a link on a webpage and Seamonkey hung the
>>> system.
>>>
>>> After restarting system and Seamonkey I find my Bookmarks are missing
>>> from the sidebar. I closed the sidebar and reopened it - still missing.
>>> I closed the sidebar and Seamoney; restarted Seamonkey and opened the
>>> sidebar - still missing.
>>>
>>> I opened the Bookmarks Manager - no bookmarks.
>>>
>>> I should mention that *all* bookmarks are visible and work when simply
>>> scrolling down the list from the Bookmarks menu item.
>>>
>>> So, the bookmarks are not missing they simply no longer appear in the
>>> Sidebar or Bookmarks Manager windows. How do I rectify this?
>>>

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Pete
>>>

>> This problem has resurfaced due to Seamonkey hanging again for no
>> obvious reason - I was not even trying to play a video. It leads me on
>> to 2 questions:
>>
>> 1] Does anyone have this build running in a stable manner?
>
> It has been very stable here as long as I reboot regularly, perhaps
> every second day, otherwise it'll trap or freeze the system. Firefox has
> the same issue, probably due to fragmented shared memory. This is a big
> problem on Windows 32bit as well though it just crashes the browser

The system is always shutdown overnight which seems to negate 1 possible
cause.

Seamonkey often crashes on starting - it appears onscreen but is not
"active", clicking anywhere on the Seamonkey window gets no reaction. It
also crashes/hangs for no obvious reason during use.

I sometimes find after I have closed Seamonkey that it is still in the
Process List - but not in the Window List - and has to be "killed"
before Seamonkey can be used again.

Video playback sometimes works for the length of the video but more
often video playback stops after a minute or so with audio continuing or
video playback fails totally sometimes requiring "killing" by top. When
video playback goes wrong it is necessary to reboot to stand any chance
of another video playing.

>> 2] Why can I use Bookmarks available from the dropdown menu but
>> Bookmarks Manager and the Sidebar both fail to load those same
>> bookmarks? As Bookmarks are available from the dropdown menu it seems to
>> indicate there is nothing wrong with the bookmarks file.
>>

> I'd guess places.sqlite corruption. Our port is currently somewhat
> broken with sqlite files not being finalized on closure and possibly
> other problems with them. I did open an issue at bitwise's github page
> as the issue affects Firefox as well. You can tell because the wal
> (write after log) files are still there after shutdown.
> I've had success fixing issues in places.sqlite by opening an older SM
> and then closing it, by older I mean SM 2.21 or older. I was actually
> using 2.5 because it was handy (watch out for the webfont crash)
> Dave

I guess the sqlite files get corrupted by Seamonkey crashing.

If places.sqlite is corrupt why does Seamonkey load the file and make it
available via the Bookmarks menu? It seems to me that if Seamonkey can
read the file - and it obviously can as it is displayed by the dropdown
menu - it should be available to Bookmarks Manager and Sidebar.

I have tried looking at places.sqlite using the sqlite manager extension
which has no problem reading the file and does not complain about any
corruption.

Peter Brown wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> On 10/11/16 09:55 AM, Peter Brown wrote:
>>> Hi All

>>> This problem has resurfaced due to Seamonkey hanging again for no
>>> obvious reason - I was not even trying to play a video. It leads me on
>>> to 2 questions:
>>>
>>> 1] Does anyone have this build running in a stable manner?
>>
>> It has been very stable here as long as I reboot regularly, perhaps
>> every second day, otherwise it'll trap or freeze the system. Firefox has
>> the same issue, probably due to fragmented shared memory. This is a big
>> problem on Windows 32bit as well though it just crashes the browser
>>

> The system is always shutdown overnight which seems to negate 1 possible
> cause.
>
> Seamonkey often crashes on starting - it appears onscreen but is not
> "active", clicking anywhere on the Seamonkey window gets no reaction. It
> also crashes/hangs for no obvious reason during use.
>
> I sometimes find after I have closed Seamonkey that it is still in the
> Process List - but not in the Window List - and has to be "killed"
> before Seamonkey can be used again.
>
> Video playback sometimes works for the length of the video but more
> often video playback stops after a minute or so with audio continuing or
> video playback fails totally sometimes requiring "killing" by top. When
> video playback goes wrong it is necessary to reboot to stand any chance
> of another video playing.

I take it you have tried a new profile.
Try copying the missing DLLs from the last release to this one and see
if that helps. This assumes that LIBPATH starts with the dot.

>>> 2] Why can I use Bookmarks available from the dropdown menu but
>>> Bookmarks Manager and the Sidebar both fail to load those same
>>> bookmarks? As Bookmarks are available from the dropdown menu it seems to
>>> indicate there is nothing wrong with the bookmarks file.
>>>

>> I'd guess places.sqlite corruption. Our port is currently somewhat
>> broken with sqlite files not being finalized on closure and possibly
>> other problems with them. I did open an issue at bitwise's github page
>> as the issue affects Firefox as well. You can tell because the wal
>> (write after log) files are still there after shutdown.
>> I've had success fixing issues in places.sqlite by opening an older SM
>> and then closing it, by older I mean SM 2.21 or older. I was actually
>> using 2.5 because it was handy (watch out for the webfont crash)
>> Dave
>

> I guess the sqlite files get corrupted by Seamonkey crashing.
>
> If places.sqlite is corrupt why does Seamonkey load the file and make it
> available via the Bookmarks menu? It seems to me that if Seamonkey can
> read the file - and it obviously can as it is displayed by the dropdown
> menu - it should be available to Bookmarks Manager and Sidebar.
>
> I have tried looking at places.sqlite using the sqlite manager extension
> which has no problem reading the file and does not complain about any
> corruption.

Hmm, I've had bad luck trying to load places.sqlite into standalone
sqlite3 managers. This is caused by the WAL (write ahead log, think
journal) not being finalized. An extension would not complain about this.
My problems have been with history stopping working, ie click a link and
it doesn't change colour. Only lost bookmarks once.
I had a lot of problems at first with the first builds of SM 2.38 due to
an extension I had that showed when a link was last accessed (using
places.sqlite). Once I got rid of that, things got much better.
Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> Peter Brown wrote:
>> Hi Dave
>>
>> Dave Yeo wrote:

>>> It has been very stable here as long as I reboot regularly, perhaps
>>> every second day, otherwise it'll trap or freeze the system. Firefox has
>>> the same issue, probably due to fragmented shared memory. This is a big
>>> problem on Windows 32bit as well though it just crashes the browser
>>>

>> The system is always shutdown overnight which seems to negate 1 possible
>> cause.
>>
>> Seamonkey often crashes on starting - it appears onscreen but is not
>> "active", clicking anywhere on the Seamonkey window gets no reaction. It
>> also crashes/hangs for no obvious reason during use.
>>
>> I sometimes find after I have closed Seamonkey that it is still in the
>> Process List - but not in the Window List - and has to be "killed"
>> before Seamonkey can be used again.
>>
>> Video playback sometimes works for the length of the video but more
>> often video playback stops after a minute or so with audio continuing or
>> video playback fails totally sometimes requiring "killing" by top. When
>> video playback goes wrong it is necessary to reboot to stand any chance
>> of another video playing.
>>

> I take it you have tried a new profile.

Yes.

> Try copying the missing DLLs from the last release to this one and see
> if that helps. This assumes that LIBPATH starts with the dot.

Missing DLLs? I think I already have all required DLLs installed -
downloaded Seamonkey and supporting packages from
http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html - Thanks Steve.

>>> I'd guess places.sqlite corruption. Our port is currently somewhat
>>> broken with sqlite files not being finalized on closure and possibly
>>> other problems with them. I did open an issue at bitwise's github page
>>> as the issue affects Firefox as well. You can tell because the wal
>>> (write after log) files are still there after shutdown.
>>> I've had success fixing issues in places.sqlite by opening an older SM
>>> and then closing it, by older I mean SM 2.21 or older. I was actually
>>> using 2.5 because it was handy (watch out for the webfont crash)
>>> Dave
>>

>> I guess the sqlite files get corrupted by Seamonkey crashing.

I can confirm this seems to be the case as when logged into ebay I tried
to open my messages in a new tab and Seamonkey crashed taking the system
with it - no mouse or keyboard, clock and cpu monitor frozen.

Having rebooted I started Seamonkey which offered me the chance to
"Restore Session"; an option that does not work with this build of
Seamonkey as Seamonkey crashes every time when displaying the "Restore
Session". After "killing" and restarting Seamonkey no Restore session is
displayed, Bookmarks are available from the Bookmarks dropdown menu but
not in the Bookmarks Manager or in the Sidebar.

I used Bookmarks Manager to restore Bookmarks - which leads me onto
another question. I seem to recall that Seamonkey used to automatically
backup bookmarks in [profile directory]\bookmarkbackups but as the json
files in there are now a few months old I have to ask if there is a
setting somewhere to automatically backup bookmarks that I can turn on?

>> If places.sqlite is corrupt why does Seamonkey load the file and make it
>> available via the Bookmarks menu? It seems to me that if Seamonkey can
>> read the file - and it obviously can as it is displayed by the dropdown
>> menu - it should be available to Bookmarks Manager and Sidebar.
>>
>> I have tried looking at places.sqlite using the sqlite manager extension
>> which has no problem reading the file and does not complain about any
>> corruption.
>
> Hmm, I've had bad luck trying to load places.sqlite into standalone
> sqlite3 managers. This is caused by the WAL (write ahead log, think
> journal) not being finalized. An extension would not complain about this.

That explains why the extension has no problem with the bookmarks file
but not why the bookmarks are available from the dropdown menu but
cannot be loaded into the sidebar or bookmarks manager.

> My problems have been with history stopping working, ie click a link and
> it doesn't change colour. Only lost bookmarks once.
> I had a lot of problems at first with the first builds of SM 2.38 due to
> an extension I had that showed when a link was last accessed (using
> places.sqlite). Once I got rid of that, things got much better.
> Dave

Is 2.38 a "typo" or do we have an update to look forward to?

Regards

Pete