Bookmark query

Sogn Mill-Scout-2
Is there any way to bookmark a particular spot on a page? I mean much like Wikipedia, on its long pages, has a table of contents, links which jump to particular places on the page.

Sogn Mill-Scout

Re: Bookmark query

GérardJan
Sogn Mill-Scout wrote on 08/01/2016 09:16 PM:
> Is there any way to bookmark a particular spot on a page? I mean much like Wikipedia, on its long pages, has a table of contents, links which jump to particular places on the page.
>
> Sogn Mill-Scout

nice car isn't it?
https://www.facebook.com/Maserati/photos/a.431668868998.202997.18010778998/10153996323388999/?type=3&theater

--
Gérard Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff
http://ciudadpatricia.com

Re: Bookmark query

Richard Alan
Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:

> Is there any way to bookmark a particular spot on a page? I mean much
> like Wikipedia, on its long pages, has a table of contents, links which
> jump to particular places on the page.
>
> Sogn Mill-Scout

Places that can be "jumped to" on a page have special codes allowing that.
It would be an "id" in the HTML code. The browser will show you the text
of the "id" following a "#" in your URL bar. You could examine the source
of one of those Wikipedia pages and see them.

If you mean just some random spot on a page, then the answer is no.

Re: Bookmark query

Ray_Net
Richard Alan wrote on 01/08/2016 21:54:

> Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to bookmark a particular spot on a page? I mean much
>> like Wikipedia, on its long pages, has a table of contents, links which
>> jump to particular places on the page.
>>
>> Sogn Mill-Scout
> Places that can be "jumped to" on a page have special codes allowing that.
> It would be an "id" in the HTML code. The browser will show you the text
> of the "id" following a "#" in your URL bar. You could examine the source
> of one of those Wikipedia pages and see them.
>
> If you mean just some random spot on a page, then the answer is no.
Put at the particular spot on the pagethis:

<a name="BAL01"></a>

and put somewhere on the page a link like this:

Re: Bookmark query

David E. Ross-3
On 8/1/2016 12:16 PM, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:
> Is there any way to bookmark a particular spot on a page? I mean much like Wikipedia, on its long pages, has a table of contents, links which jump to particular places on the page.
>
> Sogn Mill-Scout

While I am composing this, the current featured Wikipedia article is
about Ricketts Glen State Park with the link
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricketts_Glen_State_Park>.  After
visiting that page and scrolling down to its table of contents, Section
2.1 is Weather.  After selecting that link, I can create a bookmark for
that section of the page.

--
David E. Ross

Perhaps it was a smart decision for Hillary Clinton to use her
private E-mail server while Secretary of State.  According to
current Secretary of State John Kerry, we know that the Russians
and Chinese have hacked the State Department's servers.  In the
meantime, a claim by the Romanian hacker known as Guccifer
(Marcel Lehel Lazar) that he hacked into Clinton's E-mail
server proved false.

Re: Bookmark query

Richard Alan
Ray_Net wrote:

> Richard Alan wrote on 01/08/2016 21:54:
>> Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:
>>> Is there any way to bookmark a particular spot on a page? I mean much
>>> like Wikipedia, on its long pages, has a table of contents, links
>>> which jump to particular places on the page.
>>>
>>> Sogn Mill-Scout
>>
>> Places that can be "jumped to" on a page have special codes allowing
>> that.
>> It would be an "id" in the HTML code. The browser will show you the
>> text of the "id" following a "#" in your URL bar. You could examine the
>> source of one of those Wikipedia pages and see them.
>>
>> If you mean just some random spot on a page, then the answer is no.
>
> Put at the particular spot on the pagethis:
>
> <a name="BAL01"></a>

That would still work, but "name" has been deprecated in favor of "id".

> and put somewhere on the page a link like this:

I was working under the impression that Sogn was writing about general
pages and not authoring them. So not possible to modify them.

Re: Bookmark query

Ed Mullen-10
On 8/1/2016 at 3:16 PM, Sogn Mill-Scout's prodigious digits fired off:
> Is there any way to bookmark a particular spot on a page? I mean much
> like Wikipedia, on its long pages, has a table of contents, links
> which jump to particular places on the page.
>
> Sogn Mill-Scout

On any page that has internal links on it (like a Wikipedia page's
Contents), simply right-click a link and choose Bookmark This Link.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Bookmark query

GérardJan
Richard Alan wrote on 08/02/2016 04:51 AM:

> Ray_Net wrote:
>
>> Richard Alan wrote on 01/08/2016 21:54:

>>> Places that can be "jumped to" on a page have special codes allowing
>>> that.
>>> It would be an "id" in the HTML code. The browser will show you the
>>> text of the "id" following a "#" in your URL bar. You could examine the
>>> source of one of those Wikipedia pages and see them.
>>>
>>> If you mean just some random spot on a page, then the answer is no.
>>
>> Put at the particular spot on the pagethis:
>>
>> <a name="BAL01"></a>
>
> That would still work, but "name" has been deprecated in favor of "id".
>
>> and put somewhere on the page a link like this:
s/BAL01/Gérard/p