Bon Echo Alpha 3 Milestone Released

beltzner
Please note: We do not recommend that anyone other than developers and
testers download the Bon Echo Alpha 3 milestone release. It is
intended for testing purposes only.

Bon Echo Alpha 3 is the third developer milestone focused on testing
the core functionality provided by many new features and changes to
the platform scheduled for Firefox 2. Ongoing planning for Firefox 2
can be followed at the Bon Echo Planning Center
((http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox2), as well as in this newsgroup and
on irc.mozilla.org in #bonecho.

New features and changes in this milestone that require feedback include:

* Built in Anti-Phishing protection
* Search suggestions now appear with search history in the search box
for Google and Yahoo!
* Support for client-side session and persistent storage.

And please continue to test out these other features which are new
from previous Bon Echo releases:

* Changes to tabbed browsing behavior
* Search plugin manager for removing and re-ordering search engines
* Better support for previewing and subscribing to web feeds
* New microsummaries feature for bookmarks
* Inline spell checking in text boxes
* Automatic restoration of your browsing session if there is a crash
* New combined and improved Add-Ons manager for extensions and themes
* Extended search plugin format
* Updates to the extension system to provide enhanced security and to
allow for easier localization of extensions
* Support for SVG text using svg:textPath

The Bon Echo start page
((http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho/index-2.0a3.html) has also
been changed to make it easier for testers to provide feedback and
report bugs.

Builds are available for testing here:

Windows (5.3 MB)
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=bonecho-alpha3&os=win&lang=en-US

Mac OS X Universal (17 MB)
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=bonecho-alpha3&os=osx&lang=en-US

Linux (8.8 MB)
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=bonecho-alpha3&os=linux&lang=en-US

Testers should also be sure to read the release notes
((http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho/releases/2.0a3.html).

<i>Note: Please do not link directly to the download site. Instead we
strongly encourage you to link to this Bon Echo milestone announcement
at http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2006/05/26/bon-echo-alpha-3-milestone-released/
so that everyone will know what this milestone is, what they should
expect, and who should be downloading to participate in testing at
this stage of development.</i>

cheers,
mike
--
/ mike beltzner / user experience lead / mozilla corporation /

Re: Bon Echo Alpha 3 Milestone Released

Chris Ilias-2
_beltzner_ spoke thusly on 27/05/2006 1:47 AM:
> Please note: We do not recommend that anyone other than developers and
> testers download the Bon Echo Alpha 3 milestone release. It is
> intended for testing purposes only.

Why isn't this also posted in mozilla.announce?
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

Re: Bon Echo Alpha 3 Milestone Released

Frank Wein
Chris Ilias wrote:
> _beltzner_ spoke thusly on 27/05/2006 1:47 AM:
>> Please note: We do not recommend that anyone other than developers and
>> testers download the Bon Echo Alpha 3 milestone release. It is
>> intended for testing purposes only.
>
> Why isn't this also posted in mozilla.announce?

Isn't the problem the same as a few weeks ago that this group has not
been migrated yet and it's not quite clear yet what should be posted
there (only major releases, not test ones)?

Frank

Re: Bon Echo Alpha 3 Milestone Released

Chris Ilias-2
_Frank Wein_ spoke thusly on 27/05/2006 5:24 AM:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> Why isn't this also posted in mozilla.announce?
>
> Isn't the problem the same as a few weeks ago

The problem a few weeks ago, (as I understood it) was that the
announcement, which was just warning of server downtime, was not
"important" enough. I guess the specifics were open to interpretation. :-)

> that this group has not been migrated yet

I don't understand that comment. The subscriber base to dev-planning was
migrated from mozilla-seamonkey in January [1]; and the mozilla-announce
subscriber base was migrated to 'announce' in March [2].
[1]<http://groups.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey/msg/f49b6314190acffc>
[2]<http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.mozilla-org/browse_thread/thread/d6aaa571510da1c5/46eb1f14bdcdcc34?#46eb1f14bdcdcc34>

> and it's not quite clear yet what should be posted there (only major releases, not test ones)?

FWIW, looking at netscape.public.mozilla.announce, there are
announcements for Firefox 1.5 Beta, and some Mozilla 1.8 alphas.
I assume then, that grandfathering the policy from the old group is
being questioned. My two cents: it should coincide with the
announcements at <http://www.mozilla.org/news.html>.

[Cross-posted and follow-up set to mozilla.dev.mozilla-org]
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Mozilla links <http://ilias.ca>

Re: Bon Echo Alpha 3 Milestone Released

Dave Miller-2
In article <[hidden email]>, Chris Ilias
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> _Frank Wein_ spoke thusly on 27/05/2006 5:24 AM:
> > that this group has not been migrated yet
>
> I don't understand that comment. The subscriber base to dev-planning was
> migrated from mozilla-seamonkey in January [1]; and the mozilla-announce
> subscriber base was migrated to 'announce' in March [2].
>
> [1]<http://groups.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey/msg/f49b6
> 314190acffc>
>
> [2]<http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.mozilla-org/browse_thread/threa
> d/d6aaa571510da1c5/46eb1f14bdcdcc34?#46eb1f14bdcdcc34>

That is correct, it was all migrated a long time ago.

> > and it's not quite clear yet what should be posted there (only major
> > releases, not test ones)?
>
> FWIW, looking at netscape.public.mozilla.announce, there are
> announcements for Firefox 1.5 Beta, and some Mozilla 1.8 alphas.
> I assume then, that grandfathering the policy from the old group is
> being questioned. My two cents: it should coincide with the
> announcements at <http://www.mozilla.org/news.html>.
>
> [Cross-posted and follow-up set to mozilla.dev.mozilla-org]

Cross-posted and follow-up set to mozilla.dev.planning.

There are no technical reasons preventing this, only that the people
who make the announcements are failing to post them there.  The people
who make such announcements are much more likely to read dev-planning
than dev-mozilla-org.

--
Dave Miller                                    http://www.justdave.net/
System Administrator, Mozilla Corporation       http://www.mozilla.com/