Blog debate on benefits/problems of open source ATs

Blog debate on benefits/problems of open source ATs

Aaron Leventhal-3
Both NVDA and Orca are mentioned. These are a bit lengthy -- I only had
time to skim but am just glad the community is becoming more aware of
open source.

Wondering About the Future of Software AT:
http://blindconfidential.blogspot.com/2007/10/random-thoughts-on-sunday-morning.html

Response: The Problem with Open-Source Access Technology
http://blog.serotek.com/2007/10/problem-with-open-source-access.html

- Aaron

Re: Blog debate on benefits/problems of open source ATs

Willie Walker
I posted a response to the blog entry from Matt at Serotek.  In case
it's not accepted, the response was as follows:

"I welcome everyone to join the Orca user's list and join the #orca IRC
channel on irc.gnome.org. There, you can engage the team and end users
in an active and constructive discussion. The direct contact with end
users and the Orca development team, who work all hours of every day of
the week -- well above the typical 8-5 job -- might help with the
formulation of an informed opinion.

I'm confused about how designing, planning, and involving end users
directly in the creation of Orca is an indicator of "too much
bureaucracy." If the transparency of the design/development, the ability
for users to get bug fixes and features the moment they are checked in,
and the fact that Orca features are driven directly by end users are an
indication of such bureaucracy, I guess I'm now a fan of red tape.

--Willie Walker, Orca project lead"

Aaron Leventhal wrote:

> Both NVDA and Orca are mentioned. These are a bit lengthy -- I only had
> time to skim but am just glad the community is becoming more aware of
> open source.
>
> Wondering About the Future of Software AT:
> http://blindconfidential.blogspot.com/2007/10/random-thoughts-on-sunday-morning.html
>
> Response: The Problem with Open-Source Access Technology
> http://blog.serotek.com/2007/10/problem-with-open-source-access.html
>
> - Aaron

Re: Blog debate on benefits/problems of open source ATs

Steve Lee-3
It would be great to see some of the energy expended in those posts
turned into other forms of positive community engagement.

On 23/10/2007, Aaron Leventhal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Both NVDA and Orca are mentioned. These are a bit lengthy -- I only had
> time to skim but am just glad the community is becoming more aware of
> open source.
>
> Wondering About the Future of Software AT:
> http://blindconfidential.blogspot.com/2007/10/random-thoughts-on-sunday-morning.html
>
> Response: The Problem with Open-Source Access Technology
> http://blog.serotek.com/2007/10/problem-with-open-source-access.html
>
> - Aaron

Steve Lee
--