Binding a dateTime datatype only returns a date

Binding a dateTime datatype only returns a date

chrisswick
Hi,

When binding an instance node as type="xs:dateTime", using this
namespace xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema", the XForms
control only returns a date in the format of YYYY-MM-DD. Probably
because it renders a date control for both xs:date and xs:dateTime
types. Looking at the dateTime format from http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime,
should it not return a time also?

Is there, or will there be, an XForms time control or dateTime control
similar to a date control?

Re: Binding a dateTime datatype only returns a date

VIP watches
Yes, that is something that is still missing in the Mozilla implementation
of XForms.

I made something for that in the Chiba implementation, see:
http://www.xml4pharma.com/ODMinEDC/Samples.html
and click one of the two Chiba samples near the bottom of the page.

One of the general complaints I have about most of the XForms
implementations, is that there are not enough widgets available.

Essentially, I believe that EVERY XForms implementation should at least have
a widget for EACH basic schema type (for example xs:time, xs:dateTime,
xs:duration, etc...)
For example, we can not expect from user Joe Average that he/she types in a
duration like P1Y5M3D as text !

With best regards,

Jozef Aerts
XML4Pharma

---------
> When binding an instance node as type="xs:dateTime", using this
> namespace xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema", the XForms
> control only returns a date in the format of YYYY-MM-DD. Probably
> because it renders a date control for both xs:date and xs:dateTime
> types. Looking at the dateTime format from
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime,
> should it not return a time also?
>
> Is there, or will there be, an XForms time control or dateTime control
> similar to a date control?

Re: Binding a dateTime datatype only returns a date

Aaron Reed

I guess I don't understand what you mean by 'the XForms control only
returns a date in the format of YYYY-MM-DD'.  If you bind an input to a
xsd:dateTime, you get a text field.  You can enter a dateTime there just
fine.  Same thing if you bind a range to a xsd:dateTime.

I'm glad you brought this up, though.  When I went to a xsd:dateTime
testcase I noticed that we are marking perfectly valid values as invalid
so I opened a bug on that.

I don't believe that there has been a request for a control for xsd:time
or xsd:dateTime.  If you have an idea for what it should look like or
how it should behave then please open a bug requesting such an
implementation.  If it isn't too difficult, we might find time to do it.
  Or better yet, if you'd like to write some XBL to implement it, so
much the better :)

--Aaron

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When binding an instance node as type="xs:dateTime", using this
> namespace xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema", the XForms
> control only returns a date in the format of YYYY-MM-DD. Probably
> because it renders a date control for both xs:date and xs:dateTime
> types. Looking at the dateTime format from http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime,
> should it not return a time also?
>
> Is there, or will there be, an XForms time control or dateTime control
> similar to a date control?

Re: Binding a dateTime datatype only returns a date

Aaron Reed
Hi Jozef,

Between the new 1.0 errata and the new 1.1 spec, there is a ton of work
to do.  Going above and beyond what is common for other processors is a
luxury that we do not have at this time.  However, if a simple, useful
design is given to us (or better yet, the implementation of the code),
it is something that we'll be willing to consider for inclusion in our
next release.  We are happy to provide as useful a user experience as
possible and if someone does the leg work of gathering user requirements
(or are users themselves) AND gives us a good design outlining what the
widget should look like and how it should behave, that goes a long way.
  If all we have to do is implement something inside our framework, then
we can probably find time to do that.

BTW, if all you want is a simple time or dateTime control, try using
xf:range bound to those types to get spin buttons for now until we have
something better.

--Aaron

Computer Chemistry Consultancy wrote:

> Yes, that is something that is still missing in the Mozilla
> implementation of XForms.
>
> I made something for that in the Chiba implementation, see:
> http://www.xml4pharma.com/ODMinEDC/Samples.html
> and click one of the two Chiba samples near the bottom of the page.
>
> One of the general complaints I have about most of the XForms
> implementations, is that there are not enough widgets available.
>
> Essentially, I believe that EVERY XForms implementation should at least
> have a widget for EACH basic schema type (for example xs:time,
> xs:dateTime, xs:duration, etc...)
> For example, we can not expect from user Joe Average that he/she types
> in a duration like P1Y5M3D as text !
>
> With best regards,
>
> Jozef Aerts
> XML4Pharma
>

> ---------
> ----- Original Message ----- From: <[hidden email]>

Dear Aaron,

I understand your point very well.

Unfortunately, I have never been into XBL, and also do not have the time (as
many of us)  to do so.

I am already contributing a bit to the Chiba project (they use dojo), and
doing unpaid volunteering work for CDISC.
My company is small (myself), so I currently cannot do very much more than
giving suggestions at the moment.

In my Chiba implementation, I am using spinners for xs:time as you may have
seen. Think this may be a good suggestion.
For dateTime, one can just combine the date and the time widget (can one?)
For a duration, I made a Java Swing widget some time ago (see attachment),
but I have no idea how that could be realized in XBL.

Unfortunately, the lack of widgets is probably one of the reasons why XForms
does not make it really yet (at least in the world I am working in).
Maybe it is possible to obtain some financial or people resources from large
companies, so that all this great work is not on only on the shoulders of
people that do this on volunteer basis.

With best regards,

Jozef

Jozef Aerts