Best way to track Spidermonkey development

Best way to track Spidermonkey development

Kent Williams
I'm embedding the SpiderMonkey engine in an application.

//What I've done to that end is to clone the github SpiderMonkey repo,
and then make a couple of local changes on a branch.

What I don't understand is this: What branch or tag in the git repo
corresponds to

1) the current release spidermonkey (which is purported to be 38)
2) other checkpoint releases (i.e. 44, 45)

I would use the Mercurial repo but I haven't really worked with
Mercurial.  And as it happens there's an even more confusing maze of
repositories, branches, etc involved in Firefox/SpiderMonkey/Gecko
development and the Mercurial repositories.

So in a perfect world, my workflow would be:

1. Use http://gitub.com/mozilla/gecko-dev as an upstream
2. Pick a particular branch corresponding to a release (38, 45, etc)
3. Make my changes on a branch off of the release.
4. Periodically rebase my branch on a new release.

How do I decode the branches & tags for releases?

Re: Best way to track Spidermonkey development

Ehsan Akhgari
On 2016-03-16 12:44 PM, Kent Williams wrote:

> I'm embedding the SpiderMonkey engine in an application.
>
> //What I've done to that end is to clone the github SpiderMonkey repo,
> and then make a couple of local changes on a branch.
>
> What I don't understand is this: What branch or tag in the git repo
> corresponds to
>
> 1) the current release spidermonkey (which is purported to be 38)
> 2) other checkpoint releases (i.e. 44, 45)
>
> I would use the Mercurial repo but I haven't really worked with
> Mercurial.  And as it happens there's an even more confusing maze of
> repositories, branches, etc involved in Firefox/SpiderMonkey/Gecko
> development and the Mercurial repositories.
>
> So in a perfect world, my workflow would be:
>
> 1. Use http://gitub.com/mozilla/gecko-dev as an upstream

This repo is a read-only mirror of the Mercurial repo, which is used
heavily by developers who prefer git.  This is the right place to look
if you prefer git

> 2. Pick a particular branch corresponding to a release (38, 45, etc)

These branches already exist in this repo (for example, esr38 and
esr45.)  Is there any reason why you can't use them?