Best tech support answer ever?

WLS (CompTIA A+ Certified - Retired)
My ISP offers paper free billing with email notification of when your
statement is available. I haven't been receiving those emails in several
months.

I checked my settings and confirmed I was enrolled in email notification
at my primary ISP email address.

Today I decided to call, and inquire why I wasn't receiving them, and
the response was, "Maybe they are in your Spam folder". No response from
the customer service agent when I asked why emails from them would go to
my Spam folder. It was empty.

I am no longer subscribed to paper free billing, but will resubscribe in
a few days, and see what happens.

--

SeaMonkey
Firefox Support http://support.mozilla.com and

Re: Best tech support answer ever?

Mike Easter-2
WLS wrote:
> My ISP offers paper free billing with email notification of when your
> statement is available. I haven't been receiving those emails in several
> months.
>
> I checked my settings and confirmed I was enrolled in email notification
> at my primary ISP email address.
>
> Today I decided to call, and inquire why I wasn't receiving them, and
> the response was, "Maybe they are in your Spam folder".

That is an appropriate question to someone who is looking for lost mail.

> No response from the customer service agent when I asked why emails
> from them would go to my Spam folder. It was empty.

What is even worse for a mail problem than someone who has a spam folder
which they haven't looked in is someone who is inappropriately deleting
some mail instead of properly saving it in a spam folder so that their
bad filter strategy can be discovered.

> I am no longer subscribed to paper free billing, but will resubscribe in
> a few days, and see what happens.

When you are trying to 'save paper' with email, you should be especially
careful not to do anything 'wrong' with you mail handling.

No one - end user - and no one - email provider - should be deleting any
mail sight unseen.

The provider should be either rejecting a mail at the server smtp
transaction stage or delivering it to the end user's mailbox or spam
folder. Not deleting any accepted mail.

The end user should be discriminately 'sorting' any spam they receive
into a spam or junk folder where it can be inspected when necessary and
not deleting any mail which has been placed there by an algorithm
without some process for oversight of the integrity of the filter which
put it there.

My provider puts all of the spam it identifies into a spam folder which
can be configured to autodelete immediately or with configurable delay.
Of course any autodeletion should be delayed.

In addition; my provider's output email servers have occasionally found
their way onto spam blocklists because of some 'abusive' configurations
which involve offering end users the opportunity to use
Challenge/Response as a form of 'enhanced' spam blocking.

Such challenge/response is abusive to bogus From and such abusive
autoresponders on the part of a mailserver can get the server blocklisted.

When your own provider gets their output mailservers blocklisted, you
can fail to get their billing email.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Best tech support answer ever?

Terry R.-3
On 10/18/2011 8:52 AM On a whim, WLS pounded out on the keyboard

> My ISP offers paper free billing with email notification of when your
> statement is available. I haven't been receiving those emails in several
> months.
>
> I checked my settings and confirmed I was enrolled in email notification
> at my primary ISP email address.
>
> Today I decided to call, and inquire why I wasn't receiving them, and
> the response was, "Maybe they are in your Spam folder". No response from
> the customer service agent when I asked why emails from them would go to
> my Spam folder. It was empty.

Did you tell them you were using a mail client?  If so, then they cannot
control the spam filtering on your client.  Why would they go to a spam
folder?  Sometimes there can be false positives.  Once corrected, it
won't happen again.

Terry R.

Mike Easter wrote:

> WLS wrote:
>> My ISP offers paper free billing with email notification of when your
>> statement is available. I haven't been receiving those emails in
>> several months.
>>
>> I checked my settings and confirmed I was enrolled in email
>> notification at my primary ISP email address.
>>
>> Today I decided to call, and inquire why I wasn't receiving them, and
>> the response was, "Maybe they are in your Spam folder".
>
> That is an appropriate question to someone who is looking for lost mail.
>
>> No response from the customer service agent when I asked why emails
>> from them would go to my Spam folder. It was empty.
>
> What is even worse for a mail problem than someone who has a spam folder
> which they haven't looked in is someone who is inappropriately deleting
> some mail instead of properly saving it in a spam folder so that their
> bad filter strategy can be discovered.
>
>> I am no longer subscribed to paper free billing, but will resubscribe
>> in a few days, and see what happens.
>
> When you are trying to 'save paper' with email, you should be especially
> careful not to do anything 'wrong' with you mail handling.
>
> No one - end user - and no one - email provider - should be deleting any
> mail sight unseen.
>
> The provider should be either rejecting a mail at the server smtp
> transaction stage or delivering it to the end user's mailbox or spam
> folder. Not deleting any accepted mail.
>
> The end user should be discriminately 'sorting' any spam they receive
> into a spam or junk folder where it can be inspected when necessary and
> not deleting any mail which has been placed there by an algorithm
> without some process for oversight of the integrity of the filter which
> put it there.
>
> My provider puts all of the spam it identifies into a spam folder which
> can be configured to autodelete immediately or with configurable delay.
> Of course any autodeletion should be delayed.
>
> In addition; my provider's output email servers have occasionally found
> their way onto spam blocklists because of some 'abusive' configurations
> which involve offering end users the opportunity to use
> Challenge/Response as a form of 'enhanced' spam blocking.
>
> Such challenge/response is abusive to bogus From and such abusive
> autoresponders on the part of a mailserver can get the server blocklisted.
>
> When your own provider gets their output mailservers blocklisted, you
> can fail to get their billing email.

Thanks for that long explanation.

I haven't touched any settings on my Web Mail site, but I will check. I
guess they didn't have the resources to do that for me.

Terry R. wrote:

> On 10/18/2011 8:52 AM On a whim, WLS pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> My ISP offers paper free billing with email notification of when your
>> statement is available. I haven't been receiving those emails in several
>> months.
>>
>> I checked my settings and confirmed I was enrolled in email notification
>> at my primary ISP email address.
>>
>> Today I decided to call, and inquire why I wasn't receiving them, and
>> the response was, "Maybe they are in your Spam folder". No response from
>> the customer service agent when I asked why emails from them would go to
>> my Spam folder. It was empty.
>>

> Did you tell them you were using a mail client? If so, then they cannot
> control the spam filtering on your client. Why would they go to a spam
> folder? Sometimes there can be false positives. Once corrected, it won't
> happen again.
>
> Terry R.

If they were going to the spam folder on my client I would receive them
and mark them as Not spam.

Mike Easter wrote:

> WLS wrote:
>> My ISP offers paper free billing with email notification of when your
>> statement is available. I haven't been receiving those emails in
>> several months.
>>
>> I checked my settings and confirmed I was enrolled in email
>> notification at my primary ISP email address.
>>
>> Today I decided to call, and inquire why I wasn't receiving them, and
>> the response was, "Maybe they are in your Spam folder".
>
> That is an appropriate question to someone who is looking for lost mail.
>
>> No response from the customer service agent when I asked why emails
>> from them would go to my Spam folder. It was empty.
>
> What is even worse for a mail problem than someone who has a spam folder
> which they haven't looked in is someone who is inappropriately deleting
> some mail instead of properly saving it in a spam folder so that their
> bad filter strategy can be discovered.
>
>> I am no longer subscribed to paper free billing, but will resubscribe
>> in a few days, and see what happens.
>
> When you are trying to 'save paper' with email, you should be especially
> careful not to do anything 'wrong' with you mail handling.
>
> No one - end user - and no one - email provider - should be deleting any
> mail sight unseen.
>
> The provider should be either rejecting a mail at the server smtp
> transaction stage or delivering it to the end user's mailbox or spam
> folder. Not deleting any accepted mail.
>
> The end user should be discriminately 'sorting' any spam they receive
> into a spam or junk folder where it can be inspected when necessary and
> not deleting any mail which has been placed there by an algorithm
> without some process for oversight of the integrity of the filter which
> put it there.
>
> My provider puts all of the spam it identifies into a spam folder which
> can be configured to autodelete immediately or with configurable delay.
> Of course any autodeletion should be delayed.
>
> In addition; my provider's output email servers have occasionally found
> their way onto spam blocklists because of some 'abusive' configurations
> which involve offering end users the opportunity to use
> Challenge/Response as a form of 'enhanced' spam blocking.
>
> Such challenge/response is abusive to bogus From and such abusive
> autoresponders on the part of a mailserver can get the server blocklisted.
>
> When your own provider gets their output mailservers blocklisted, you
> can fail to get their billing email.

After further review, I have no Filters set, and no Blocked Senders,
Spam folder was set to delete. A couple of emails I do recall marking as
Spam on my Web Mail site, still get through to my Spam folder on SeaMonkey.

--

SeaMonkey
Firefox Support http://support.mozilla.com and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_%28Firefox%29
SeaMonkey Support http://www.seamonkey-project.org/community
Stand Alone Profile Manager https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Profile_Manager

Re: Best tech support answer ever?

clay-14
On 10/18/2011 8:52 AM, WLS wrote:

> My ISP offers paper free billing with email notification of when your
> statement is available. I haven't been receiving those emails in several
> months.
>
> I checked my settings and confirmed I was enrolled in email notification
> at my primary ISP email address.
>
> Today I decided to call, and inquire why I wasn't receiving them, and
> the response was, "Maybe they are in your Spam folder". No response from
> the customer service agent when I asked why emails from them would go to
> my Spam folder. It was empty.
>
> I am no longer subscribed to paper free billing, but will resubscribe in
> a few days, and see what happens.

at&t is my (thieving, money grubbing, dysfunctional) ISP.
I have filtering at the server level enabled on some of my accounts.
at&t owns the webmail and (presumably) controls the filters on its
webmail pages.
I had to laugh when I found at&t's filters flagging email from at&t as
spam...
ah, the irony.

clay wrote:

> On 10/18/2011 8:52 AM, WLS wrote:
>> My ISP offers paper free billing with email notification of when your
>> statement is available. I haven't been receiving those emails in several
>> months.
>>
>> I checked my settings and confirmed I was enrolled in email notification
>> at my primary ISP email address.
>>
>> Today I decided to call, and inquire why I wasn't receiving them, and
>> the response was, "Maybe they are in your Spam folder". No response from
>> the customer service agent when I asked why emails from them would go to
>> my Spam folder. It was empty.
>>
>> I am no longer subscribed to paper free billing, but will resubscribe in
>> a few days, and see what happens.
>>
> at&t is my (thieving, money grubbing, dysfunctional) ISP.
> I have filtering at the server level enabled on some of my accounts.
> at&t owns the webmail and (presumably) controls the filters on its
> webmail pages.
> I had to laugh when I found at&t's filters flagging email from at&t as
> spam...
> ah, the irony.

Well, I don't want to name the ISP, but they also recently stopped
allowing FTP uploads of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and who knows what else
to the users web space they provide, requiring you to use their builder
application, or incur additional expense by getting a domain name, and
hosting site. I'm considering a .name or .us for mine.

--

SeaMonkey
Firefox Support http://support.mozilla.com and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_%28Firefox%29
SeaMonkey Support http://www.seamonkey-project.org/community
Stand Alone Profile Manager https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Profile_Manager

Re: Best tech support answer ever?

W3BNR
On 10/18/2011 1:03 PM WLS submitted the following:

> clay wrote:
>> On 10/18/2011 8:52 AM, WLS wrote:
>>> My ISP offers paper free billing with email notification of when your
>>> statement is available. I haven't been receiving those emails in several
>>> months.
>>>
>>> I checked my settings and confirmed I was enrolled in email notification
>>> at my primary ISP email address.
>>>
>>> Today I decided to call, and inquire why I wasn't receiving them, and
>>> the response was, "Maybe they are in your Spam folder". No response from
>>> the customer service agent when I asked why emails from them would go to
>>> my Spam folder. It was empty.
>>>
>>> I am no longer subscribed to paper free billing, but will resubscribe in
>>> a few days, and see what happens.
>>>
>> at&t is my (thieving, money grubbing, dysfunctional) ISP.
>> I have filtering at the server level enabled on some of my accounts.
>> at&t owns the webmail and (presumably) controls the filters on its
>> webmail pages.
>> I had to laugh when I found at&t's filters flagging email from at&t as
>> spam...
>> ah, the irony.
>
> Well, I don't want to name the ISP, but they also recently stopped allowing FTP
> uploads of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and who knows what else to the users web space
> they provide, requiring you to use their builder application, or incur
> additional expense by getting a domain name, and hosting site. I'm considering a
> .name or .us for mine.

Yep, I took my stuff on the free web space provided by Verizon since they no
longer would let me do my own thing and stopped FTP services.  Got a .us site
from 1&1 and am using it for family.

--
Ed, W3BNR
http://JonesFarm.us/W3BNR

"Alliance: In international politics, the union of two thieves who
  have their hands so deeply  inserted into each others' pockets that
  they cannot separately plunder a third."
                             -Ambrose Bierce: The Devil's Dictionary

W3BNR wrote:

> On 10/18/2011 1:03 PM WLS submitted the following:
>> clay wrote:

>>> at&t is my (thieving, money grubbing, dysfunctional) ISP.
>>> I have filtering at the server level enabled on some of my accounts.
>>> at&t owns the webmail and (presumably) controls the filters on its
>>> webmail pages.
>>> I had to laugh when I found at&t's filters flagging email from at&t as
>>> spam...
>>> ah, the irony.
>>
>> Well, I don't want to name the ISP, but they also recently stopped
>> allowing FTP
>> uploads of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and who knows what else to the users
>> web space
>> they provide, requiring you to use their builder application, or incur
>> additional expense by getting a domain name, and hosting site. I'm
>> considering a
>> .name or .us for mine.
>>

> Yep, I took my stuff on the free web space provided by Verizon since
> they no longer would let me do my own thing and stopped FTP services.
> Got a .us site from 1&1 and am using it for family.

I'm looking at pairLite and another that escapes me at the moment,
because I forgot to bookmark it. I came across it in a post somewhere.

Not in my history, I'm saving up for that experiment in disgruntledness
out there... post. No hanging or slowness so far btw, but I only have
1205 items in my history.

--

SeaMonkey
Firefox Support http://support.mozilla.com and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_%28Firefox%29
SeaMonkey Support http://www.seamonkey-project.org/community
Stand Alone Profile Manager https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Profile_Manager

Re: Best tech support answer ever?

Terry R.-3
On 10/18/2011 9:33 AM On a whim, WLS pounded out on the keyboard

> Terry R. wrote:
>> On 10/18/2011 8:52 AM On a whim, WLS pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> My ISP offers paper free billing with email notification of when your
>>> statement is available. I haven't been receiving those emails in several
>>> months.
>>>
>>> I checked my settings and confirmed I was enrolled in email notification
>>> at my primary ISP email address.
>>>
>>> Today I decided to call, and inquire why I wasn't receiving them, and
>>> the response was, "Maybe they are in your Spam folder". No response from
>>> the customer service agent when I asked why emails from them would go to
>>> my Spam folder. It was empty.
>>>
>> Did you tell them you were using a mail client? If so, then they cannot
>> control the spam filtering on your client. Why would they go to a spam
>> folder? Sometimes there can be false positives. Once corrected, it won't
>> happen again.
>>
>> Terry R.
>
> If they were going to the spam folder on my client I would receive them
> and mark them as Not spam.

Yes, that's what I said.  But if you told them you were using a mail
client, that is why they gave you that response.

Terry R.

WLS wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> When you are trying to 'save paper' with email, you should be especially
>> careful not to do anything 'wrong' with you mail handling.

> After further review, I have no Filters set, and no Blocked Senders,
> Spam folder was set to delete.

I recommend against that auto-deleting.

> A couple of emails I do recall marking as Spam on my Web Mail site,
> still get through to my Spam folder on SeaMonkey.

There are many ways to handle mail, depending on the 'nature' of the
mail account.

If a person has an account which receives a lot of wanted 'unknown'
mail, it needs a very smart/powerful filter and a good strategy for
managing what the smart filter catches. See SpamPal below.

OTOH, I have an account which is configured very tightly, as it allows
only whitelisted mail to go into the Inbox, while what the provider
calls/IDs as Spam is retained in the provider's Spam folder, and what is
not whitelisted nor tagged as spam by the provider (which does /not/
have a very smart filter) goes into a provider Suspect folder.

The provider emails me a list of what has landed in Suspect regularly
and I manage it there accordingly. Virtually none is downloaded.

Once upon a time I had an account for which I allowed all of the spam to
come to my agent which was managed by a smart SpamPal filter to keep the
spam out of the Inbox and it put all of the spam into a Junk folder
because I wanted to submit the spam to SpamCop conveniently. But I don't
do that anymore.

--
Mike Easter

WLS wrote:

> W3BNR wrote:

>>> Well, I don't want to name the ISP, but they also recently stopped
>>> allowing FTP
>>> uploads of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and who knows what else to the users
>>> web space
>>> they provide, requiring you to use their builder application, or incur
>>> additional expense by getting a domain name, and hosting site. I'm
>>> considering a
>>> .name or .us for mine.
>>>

>> Yep, I took my stuff on the free web space provided by Verizon since
>> they no longer would let me do my own thing and stopped FTP services.
>> Got a .us site from 1&1 and am using it for family.
>>

> I'm looking at pairLite and another that escapes me at the moment,
> because I forgot to bookmark it. I came across it in a post somewhere.
>
> Not in my history, I'm saving up for that experiment in disgruntledness
> out there... post. No hanging or slowness so far btw, but I only have
> 1205 items in my history.

I remember now it was the site in the Fire Fox meets my ISP post.

--

SeaMonkey
Firefox Support http://support.mozilla.com and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_%28Firefox%29
SeaMonkey Support http://www.seamonkey-project.org/community
Stand Alone Profile Manager https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Profile_Manager

Re: Best tech support answer ever?

Mike Easter-2
All of these lines after the attributions are not flowing properly.

WLS wrote:

> WLS wrote:
>> W3BNR wrote:
>>> On 10/18/2011 1:03 PM WLS submitted the following:

Notice all the 'shortlines' above or 'embarrassing line wraps.

The lines are supposed to be format=flowed and look like this:

--
Mike Easter

Re: Best tech support answer ever?

Ron Hunter
On 10/18/2011 10:52 AM, WLS wrote:

> My ISP offers paper free billing with email notification of when your
> statement is available. I haven't been receiving those emails in several
> months.
>
> I checked my settings and confirmed I was enrolled in email notification
> at my primary ISP email address.
>
> Today I decided to call, and inquire why I wasn't receiving them, and
> the response was, "Maybe they are in your Spam folder". No response from
> the customer service agent when I asked why emails from them would go to
> my Spam folder. It was empty.
>
> I am no longer subscribed to paper free billing, but will resubscribe in
> a few days, and see what happens.

I find the online billing to be much too easy to forget, unless one can
afford to have automatic payments along with the online statements, one
is way too likely to forget to pay.  My wife missed a payment to a
credit card a couple of months ago, but they kindly reversed the late
charge when she paid online.  I find it a lot harder to ignore a piece
of paper than an email.

On 10/18/2011 11:09 AM, Mike Easter wrote:

> WLS wrote:
>> My ISP offers paper free billing with email notification of when your
>> statement is available. I haven't been receiving those emails in
>> several months.
>>
>> I checked my settings and confirmed I was enrolled in email
>> notification at my primary ISP email address.
>>
>> Today I decided to call, and inquire why I wasn't receiving them, and
>> the response was, "Maybe they are in your Spam folder".
>
> That is an appropriate question to someone who is looking for lost mail.
>
>> No response from the customer service agent when I asked why emails
>> from them would go to my Spam folder. It was empty.
>
> What is even worse for a mail problem than someone who has a spam folder
> which they haven't looked in is someone who is inappropriately deleting
> some mail instead of properly saving it in a spam folder so that their
> bad filter strategy can be discovered.
>
>> I am no longer subscribed to paper free billing, but will resubscribe
>> in a few days, and see what happens.
>
> When you are trying to 'save paper' with email, you should be especially
> careful not to do anything 'wrong' with you mail handling.
>
> No one - end user - and no one - email provider - should be deleting any
> mail sight unseen.
>
> The provider should be either rejecting a mail at the server smtp
> transaction stage or delivering it to the end user's mailbox or spam
> folder. Not deleting any accepted mail.
>
> The end user should be discriminately 'sorting' any spam they receive
> into a spam or junk folder where it can be inspected when necessary and
> not deleting any mail which has been placed there by an algorithm
> without some process for oversight of the integrity of the filter which
> put it there.
>
> My provider puts all of the spam it identifies into a spam folder which
> can be configured to autodelete immediately or with configurable delay.
> Of course any autodeletion should be delayed.
>
> In addition; my provider's output email servers have occasionally found
> their way onto spam blocklists because of some 'abusive' configurations
> which involve offering end users the opportunity to use
> Challenge/Response as a form of 'enhanced' spam blocking.
>
> Such challenge/response is abusive to bogus From and such abusive
> autoresponders on the part of a mailserver can get the server blocklisted.
>
> When your own provider gets their output mailservers blocklisted, you
> can fail to get their billing email.

I have had emails just disappear, for no reason.  I lost one yesterday
(a BOGO for Logan's Roadhouse).  It was on my smartphone, unread, and in
my email, unread, and it just disappeared.  No trace on either the
smartphone, or computer.  Weird.

Re: Best tech support answer ever?

WLS (CompTIA A+ Certified - Retired)
Oh, that's what you been on about, about format=flow. Never paid any
attention. Maybe it needs trimmed.

WLS wrote:
> Oh, that's what you been on about, about format=flow. Never paid any
> attention. Maybe it needs trimmed.
>
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> All of these lines after the attributions are not flowing properly.

No, those are separate (but often related) issues of concern by me.

Trimming for context is one issue.

The format=flowed 'defect' is a separate issue which one is able to see
when there is some untrimmed bottom posting going on, or under some
other conditions.

Tb2 and a number of other f=f newsreaders such as Opera and MesNews
handle f=f properly in the quoted text, properly retaining the trailing
spaces.

All other Tb/s from 3-8 as well as their corresponding SeaMonkeys have
lost the ability to f=f quoted material that was 'formerly' f=f and they
non-compliantly strip the trailing spaces of that quoted material.

Because of that, the EOLs become fixed instead of flowed which results
in the ugly shortlines which are difficult to read. This can show up in
progressive untrimmed bottom posting and other conditions which may
'stack up' more levels of attribution causing the lines to grow and
desperately need the proper handling of f=f of quoted material.

Your SM 2.5 is just as bad as its corresponding Tbird 8 based on the
gecko v.8; it _still_ hasn't been fixed even tho' the developers have
known about the problem for years.

If Opera and MesNews (and some other newsreaders which don't even stamp
f=f in the headers) can handle the 'problem' or condition of citing f=f
material properly, why can't Tb and SM?

--
Mike Easter

WLS wrote:

> My ISP offers paper free billing with email notification of when your
> statement is available. I haven't been receiving those emails in
> several months.
>
> I checked my settings and confirmed I was enrolled in email
> notification at my primary ISP email address.
>
> Today I decided to call, and inquire why I wasn't receiving them, and
> the response was, "Maybe they are in your Spam folder". No response
> from the customer service agent when I asked why emails from them
> would go to my Spam folder. It was empty.
>
> I am no longer subscribed to paper free billing, but will resubscribe
> in a few days, and see what happens.

UPDATE:

I received an email notification today that my latest paperless bill was
available for viewing. Now I can go back to using SeaMonkey for mail.

--

SeaMonkey - openSUSE 11.3 Linux - 1.8GHz CPU - 2GB RAM
Get openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/114/en