Quantcast

Beginner Add-on Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Beginner Add-on Question

Handri Gunawan
Hello, i am IT student,and in my research,i want to make add-on for Mozilla Thunderbird for combining cryptography and steganography to mail message,,
so in what programming language do i write the code for add-on Mozilla Thunderbird? And what are the tools for linking the program to the application later(Mozilla THunderbird)?
thanks before,,
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

WaltS48
On 10/20/2014 09:26 AM, Handri Gunawan wrote:
> Hello, i am IT student,and in my research,i want to make add-on for Mozilla Thunderbird for combining cryptography and steganography to mail message,,
> so in what programming language do i write the code for add-on Mozilla Thunderbird? And what are the tools for linking the program to the application later(Mozilla THunderbird)?
> thanks before,,
>


[Thunderbird extensions - Mozilla |
MDN](https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Thunderbird)

--
Sponsored by Firefox 34.0b1 and Thunderbird 31.2.0
GO Steelers, Pitt, Pens, Bills and Sabres!
Go to Hell Day <http://youtu.be/XzIx08AVe6M>
Chasing tabs in my browser :)
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Handri Gunawan
On Monday, October 20, 2014 8:55:17 PM UTC+7, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 10/20/2014 09:26 AM, Handri Gunawan wrote:
>
> > Hello, i am IT student,and in my research,i want to make add-on for Mozilla Thunderbird for combining cryptography and steganography to mail message,,
>
> > so in what programming language do i write the code for add-on Mozilla Thunderbird? And what are the tools for linking the program to the application later(Mozilla THunderbird)?
>
> > thanks before,,
>
> >
>
>
>
>
>
> [Thunderbird extensions - Mozilla |
>
> MDN](https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Thunderbird)
>
>
>
> --
>
> Sponsored by Firefox 34.0b1 and Thunderbird 31.2.0
>
> GO Steelers, Pitt, Pens, Bills and Sabres!
>
> Go to Hell Day <http://youtu.be/XzIx08AVe6M>
>
> Chasing tabs in my browser :)

okay thanks,, i will try read it,, :)
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Handri Gunawan
i have read the tutorial,so for starter, what programming language should i use? firstly,i want to get message content from the mail, and do some process to it,,

thanks you before,, :)
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Handri Gunawan
okay, i have read about xul and xulrunner,so i understand that it is programming language for creating thunderbird extension(CMIIW),of course with addition of other element such as javascript,css etc.

I'm currently learning about xul.I have one question: If i completed the application later in xul application,what next step to integrating it to become thunderbird extension?

thanks before ,,
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Sebastian Hengst
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: Beginner Add-on Question
Von: Handri Gunawan <[hidden email]>
Datum: 2014-12-02 12:04

> okay, i have read about xul and xulrunner,so i understand that it is
> programming language for creating thunderbird extension(CMIIW),of
> course with addition of other element such as javascript,css etc.
>
> I'm currently learning about xul.I have one question: If i completed
> the application later in xul application,what next step to
> integrating it to become thunderbird extension?
>
> thanks before ,,
>

If you want to get integrated it into Thunderbird, the best way is to
explain in detail what you want to do so the Thunderbird developers can
evaluate if it should be added. Also mention if you will maintain it
over the years.

To get started, developing it as an extension is helpful, see
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Overlay_Extensions for more
information.

Archaeopteryx
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Handri Gunawan
On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:43:23 PM UTC+7, Archaeopteryx wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Betreff: Re: Beginner Add-on Question
> Von: Handri Gunawan <[hidden email]>
> Datum: 2014-12-02 12:04
> > okay, i have read about xul and xulrunner,so i understand that it is
> > programming language for creating thunderbird extension(CMIIW),of
> > course with addition of other element such as javascript,css etc.
> >
> > I'm currently learning about xul.I have one question: If i completed
> > the application later in xul application,what next step to
> > integrating it to become thunderbird extension?
> >
> > thanks before ,,
> >
>
> If you want to get integrated it into Thunderbird, the best way is to
> explain in detail what you want to do so the Thunderbird developers can
> evaluate if it should be added. Also mention if you will maintain it
> over the years.
>
> To get started, developing it as an extension is helpful, see
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Overlay_Extensions for more
> information.
>
> Archaeopteryx

Thank you for the link,,As for development,i planning to make an security add-on that do cryptography and steganography on the mail content that intended to sent.
I currently still learning if such complete process(crypto and stegano) can done in xul and its associated(javascript,xml,etc) or i must make a linking between xul IDE to other application in another programming language(like C++,Java) to processing cryptography and steganography part.
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Sebastian Hengst
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: Beginner Add-on Question
Von: Handri Gunawan <[hidden email]>
Datum: 2014-12-02 22:48

> On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:43:23 PM UTC+7, Archaeopteryx wrote:
>> -------- Original-Nachricht -------- Betreff: Re: Beginner Add-on
>> Question Von: Handri Gunawan <[hidden email]> Datum:
>> 2014-12-02 12:04
>>> okay, i have read about xul and xulrunner,so i understand that it
>>> is programming language for creating thunderbird
>>> extension(CMIIW),of course with addition of other element such as
>>> javascript,css etc.
>>>
>>> I'm currently learning about xul.I have one question: If i
>>> completed the application later in xul application,what next step
>>> to integrating it to become thunderbird extension?
>>>
>>> thanks before ,,
>>>
>>
>> If you want to get integrated it into Thunderbird, the best way is
>> to explain in detail what you want to do so the Thunderbird
>> developers can evaluate if it should be added. Also mention if you
>> will maintain it over the years.
>>
>> To get started, developing it as an extension is helpful, see
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Overlay_Extensions for
>> more information.
>>
>> Archaeopteryx
>
> Thank you for the link,,As for development,i planning to make an
> security add-on that do cryptography and steganography on the mail
> content that intended to sent. I currently still learning if such
> complete process(crypto and stegano) can done in xul and its
> associated(javascript,xml,etc) or i must make a linking between xul
> IDE to other application in another programming language(like
> C++,Java) to processing cryptography and steganography part.
>

You can access the NSS interfaces from within Thunderbird:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/NSS

JS-Ctypes is available as bridge to C libraries:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/js-ctypes

Shiping your own compiled interfaces but not recommended because they
are likely to break.

Archaeopteryx
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Handri Gunawan
On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 6:36:04 PM UTC+7, Archaeopteryx wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Betreff: Re: Beginner Add-on Question
> Von: Handri Gunawan <[hidden email]>
> Datum: 2014-12-02 22:48
> > On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:43:23 PM UTC+7, Archaeopteryx wrote:
> >> -------- Original-Nachricht -------- Betreff: Re: Beginner Add-on
> >> Question Von: Handri Gunawan <[hidden email]> Datum:
> >> 2014-12-02 12:04
> >>> okay, i have read about xul and xulrunner,so i understand that it
> >>> is programming language for creating thunderbird
> >>> extension(CMIIW),of course with addition of other element such as
> >>> javascript,css etc.
> >>>
> >>> I'm currently learning about xul.I have one question: If i
> >>> completed the application later in xul application,what next step
> >>> to integrating it to become thunderbird extension?
> >>>
> >>> thanks before ,,
> >>>
> >>
> >> If you want to get integrated it into Thunderbird, the best way is
> >> to explain in detail what you want to do so the Thunderbird
> >> developers can evaluate if it should be added. Also mention if you
> >> will maintain it over the years.
> >>
> >> To get started, developing it as an extension is helpful, see
> >> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Overlay_Extensions for
> >> more information.
> >>
> >> Archaeopteryx
> >
> > Thank you for the link,,As for development,i planning to make an
> > security add-on that do cryptography and steganography on the mail
> > content that intended to sent. I currently still learning if such
> > complete process(crypto and stegano) can done in xul and its
> > associated(javascript,xml,etc) or i must make a linking between xul
> > IDE to other application in another programming language(like
> > C++,Java) to processing cryptography and steganography part.
> >
>
> You can access the NSS interfaces from within Thunderbird:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/NSS
>
> JS-Ctypes is available as bridge to C libraries:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/js-ctypes
>
> Shiping your own compiled interfaces but not recommended because they
> are likely to break.
>
> Archaeopteryx

cool,thank you so much,i will try learning now,,
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Handri Gunawan
i want to ask:
i write this:

<script type="application/x-javascript" src="chrome://content/main.js"/>

in my main.xul file to calling function from main.js in same directory
but when i launch application, it show 'XML parsing error' with the fault apparently in the end of <script> tag :

<script type="application/x-javascript" src="chrome://content/main.js"/>
------------------------------------------------------------------------^

can anyone help me? i have done some googling but don't find the answer,the tag seem right according to guideline for link javascript and XUL.

thanks before,,
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

tjoen-3
On 08-12-14 15:00, Handri Gunawan wrote:

> in my main.xul file to calling function from main.js in same directory
> but when i launch application, it show 'XML parsing error' with the fault apparently in the end of <script> tag :
>
> <script type="application/x-javascript" src="chrome://content/main.js"/>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------^

I alway put a space before "/>" like this:
<script type="application/x-javascript" \
        src="chrome://content/main.js" />
Another solution could be:
<script type="application/x-javascript" src="chrome://content/main.js">
</script>
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

R Kent James
In reply to this post by Handri Gunawan
On 12/8/2014 6:00 AM, Handri Gunawan wrote:
 > i want to ask: i write this:
 >
 > <script type="application/x-javascript"
 > src="chrome://content/main.js"/>
 >
 > in my main.xul file to calling function from main.js in same
 > directory but when i launch application, it show 'XML parsing error'
 > with the fault apparently in the end of <script> tag :
 >
 > <script type="application/x-javascript"
 > src="chrome://content/main.js"/>
 > ------------------------------------------------------------------------^
 >
 >  can anyone help me? i have done some googling but don't find the
 > answer,the tag seem right according to guideline for link javascript
 > and XUL.
 >
 > thanks before,,
 >

This is an example of a short overlay XML that I use:

 > <overlay id='exquillaAMOverlay'
 >
xmlns='http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul'>
 >   <dialog id="accountManager">
 >     <script type='application/javascript'
src='chrome://exquilla/content/AccountManagerOverlay.js'/>
 >   </dialog>
 >   <menupopup id="accountActionsDropdown">
 >     <menuitem id="exquilla-account" label="&ews.addExchangeAccount;"
insertbefore="accountActionsDropdownSep1"
 >               oncommand="exquilla.addExchangeAccount();"/>
 >   </menupopup>
 > </overlay>

So I don't think there is anything wrong with your script line, and I
would look elsewhere for the problem.
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Handri Gunawan
In reply to this post by Handri Gunawan
okay,thanks for the answer, i will try it,,i also confused because it seems right but the problem seems in that part of <script>,,
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Handri Gunawan
In reply to this post by Handri Gunawan
i have try using space before "/>" but it resulted same : XML parsing error at the end of ">". i try using 2 tag(<script> and </script>) but same error also occur,, if i remove <script> tag, the program running. I wonder if there are some issues with version compatibility of xulrunner compiler with my xul code so it cannot treated <script> tag to link javascript?

thanks before,,
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Sebastian Hengst
Can you please post the whole XUL file or a link to it if it's bigger?

Thank you
Archaeopteryx

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: Beginner Add-on Question
Von: Handri Gunawan <[hidden email]>
Datum: 2014-12-09 19:52
> i have try using space before "/>" but it resulted same : XML parsing
> error at the end of ">". i try using 2 tag(<script> and </script>)
> but same error also occur,, if i remove <script> tag, the program
> running. I wonder if there are some issues with version compatibility
> of xulrunner compiler with my xul code so it cannot treated <script>
> tag to link javascript?
>
> thanks before,,
>

_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Handri Gunawan
In reply to this post by Handri Gunawan
thank you for attention but nevermind,it have worked,the problem seem at "src=chrome://content/main.js".
if i use that code,it return xml parsing error.But when i try change it into "src=main.js" and place file main.js at same directory to application.ini, it running and javascript code integrated to main xul application.I wonder if the problem is at "//" sign?
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Sebastian Hengst
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: Beginner Add-on Question
Von: Handri Gunawan <[hidden email]>
Datum: 2014-12-11 12:06
> thank you for attention but nevermind,it have worked,the problem seem
> at "src=chrome://content/main.js". if i use that code,it return xml
> parsing error.But when i try change it into "src=main.js" and place
> file main.js at same directory to application.ini, it running and
> javascript code integrated to main xul application.I wonder if the
> problem is at "//" sign?
>

Your chrome url lacks the package name. Please read about chrome
registration here:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Chrome_Registration#content-instruction
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Handri Gunawan
okay, thank you very much,, i reading about chrome now.
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Beginner Add-on Question

Handri Gunawan
In reply to this post by Handri Gunawan
so, i have finished the add-on, some of its process is changing canvas to output img file, when i test the XUL in Firefox, i can right click on the img file and then choose save image as, but after i trying packaging it in XPI and try installing it in Thunderbird add-on, i can't right click the img, no menu option to save image is appear,, is there any way to enable right click in Thunderbird add-on?

thanks before,,
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Loading...