BBC checks out Safari (mentions accessibility and Firefox, including Fire Vox)

BBC checks out Safari (mentions accessibility and Firefox, including Fire Vox)

Aaron Leventhal-3
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/access20/2007/06/safari_so_goody_1.shtml

Glad they mention us in a positive light. I do have a small quibble with their
statement that it took 1 year of "under the bonnet work" to make Firefox
accessible -- they're most likely talking about the work done on the screen
reader side. It also took about 5 years of work inside of Firefox itself.

Quoted from article:
"If you are wondering how Safari works with screen readers, the software used by
visually impaired users, it doesn’t. But then, no browser does when it first
comes into the marketplace. It took a year of under the bonnet work before
Firefox played well with screen reader software.

"A spokesman for Freedom Scientific, the manufacturer of the JAWS screen reader,
said that, “Whilst there are currently no plans to make Safari work with JAWS,
that would change if there is demand for it from our customers.”

"There are a number of other browsers out there that can make surfing the web
easier than Safari does at the moment. At one end of the spectrum, there is
WebbIE, a simple and easy to use text based browser for visually impaired
people, that can be ideal for those new to the internet. At the other end, there
is Firefox, which comes with a variety of add-ons designed specifically to
improve accessibility, such as Accessibility Themes. This lets users add big and
bright icons to the browser toolbar for ‘back’, ‘forward’ ‘home’ and so on.
There is even a screen reader application for Firefox called Fire Vox. "

Re: BBC checks out Safari (mentions accessibility and Firefox, including Fire Vox)

Steve Lee-3
Aaron Leventhal wrote:
> is Firefox, which comes with a variety of add-ons designed specifically to
> improve accessibility, such as Accessibility Themes. This lets users add big and
> bright icons to the browser toolbar for ‘back’, ‘forward’ ‘home’ and so on.
> There is even a screen reader application for Firefox called Fire Vox.

So the word is getting out there.
I added a comment pointing to accessfirefox.com.