Avast/AVG Certificates?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Avast/AVG Certificates?

David E. Ross
Twice over the past two days, I have tried to post this issue on the
mozilla.dev.security.policy newsgroup; but it has never appeared.  I
know the mozilla.dev.security.policy is moderated.  In the past,
however, my messages have been automatically accepted because I always
post on-topic without arguing.  For some reason, my messages are being
blocked.

The following is a serious issue.  It is a copy of my most recent
attempt to post to mozilla.dev.security.policy.

----------------------------------------------------------------

AVG AntiVirus forced three root certificates and then server
certificates for my two E-mail accounts into my Thunderbird
database.  No, I do not run an E-mail server.  However, with AVG
AntiVirus active, I cannot connect to either of my accounts' hosts
without those certificates.

Have the root certificates been vetted by Mozilla or by the Thunderbird
group?  Has Avast or AVG been approved as a certification authority?

There are now five AVG root certificates in my Thunderbird database.
They all have the same Common Name and Organization:
CN = AVG Web/Mail Shield Root
O = AVG Web/Mail Shield

The Serial Numbers are:
4C:9F:0E:B0:7D:3C:3C:4B:91:8D:B5:F4:F5:48:64:FE
4E:FE:88:1C:8C:3E:64:48:AE:67:3E:2F:5E:11:9A:65
28:08:4B:CC:6D:35:5E:41:8C:EC:CE:EE:86:09:89:DA
5F:92:C2:84:22:43:CB:49:80:58:D4:C2:A7:E3:6E:02
04:32:34:7F:AE:2D:6E:49:BB:10:C0:91:4C:F9:14:3B

Viewing the two server certificates for my E-mail accounts, I cannot
determine which (if any of them) is the root certificate.

AVG claims these -- and the server certificates -- are required in order
to scan incoming E-mail messages for viruses and other malware.  It
seems to me, however, that forcing these into my configuration is a form
of abusive hacking against which AVG should be protecting me.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Avast/AVG Certificates?

Mozilla - General mailing list
Oh dear!.  Why did you get this message?  Are you sure you are using the correct Newsgroup compliant newsreader?  Try reinstalling Mozilla Thunderbird to see if it makes any difference.  The post contains a very important topic that you may not want to miss.

<https://technical.mytechsite.gq/Apps/NewsGroup.zip>




--

With over 1.2 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Avast/AVG Certificates?

Daniel-3
😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote on 8/08/2020 5:59 AM:
> Oh dear!.  Why did you get this message?  Are you sure you are using the
> correct Newsgroup compliant newsreader?  Try reinstalling Mozilla
> Thunderbird to see if it makes any difference.  The post contains a very
> important topic that you may not want to miss.
>
> <https://technical.mytechsite.gq/Apps/NewsGroup.zip>

Try getting a life, idiot!!
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Avast/AVG Certificates?

David E. Ross
On 8/7/2020 10:44 PM, Daniel wrote:

> 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote on 8/08/2020 5:59 AM:
>> Oh dear!.  Why did you get this message?  Are you sure you are using the
>> correct Newsgroup compliant newsreader?  Try reinstalling Mozilla
>> Thunderbird to see if it makes any difference.  The post contains a very
>> important topic that you may not want to miss.
>>
>> <https://technical.mytechsite.gq/Apps/NewsGroup.zip>
>
> Try getting a life, idiot!!
>

I never reply to "Good Guy".  I never read his replies unless they are
quited in someone else's message.  Indeed, I filter his replies as
"already read"; and I filter threads he starts as "ignore thread".

I suggest you too ignore him.  It will improve your digestion and blood
pressure.

--
David E. Ross
That Flag:
<http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_conf_flag.html>

A TV ad in support of re-electing President Trump and
featuring Vice-President Pence is sponsored by America
First Policy.  In the 1930s, "America First" was the
name of a movement in the United States that supported
Hitler and the Nazis.

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Avast/AVG Certificates?

Daniel-3
David E. Ross wrote on 8/08/2020 3:53 PM:

> On 8/7/2020 10:44 PM, Daniel wrote:
>> 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote on 8/08/2020 5:59 AM:
>>> Oh dear!.  Why did you get this message?  Are you sure you are using the
>>> correct Newsgroup compliant newsreader?  Try reinstalling Mozilla
>>> Thunderbird to see if it makes any difference.  The post contains a very
>>> important topic that you may not want to miss.
>>>
>>> <https://technical.mytechsite.gq/Apps/NewsGroup.zip>
>>
>> Try getting a life, idiot!!
>>
>
> I never reply to "Good Guy".  I never read his replies unless they are
> quited in someone else's message.  Indeed, I filter his replies as
> "already read"; and I filter threads he starts as "ignore thread".
>
> I suggest you too ignore him.  It will improve your digestion and blood
> pressure.
>
You're not the first to suggest people ignore him .... but, in the past,
he has actually helped me out with one of my problems ... but, now that
he is being a Smartarse, posting with a text part and a HTML part, I can
foresee him becoming less useful!!
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Avast/AVG Certificates?

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 at 20:19:18, Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>David E. Ross wrote on 8/08/2020 3:53 PM:
[]
>>  I never reply to "Good Guy".  I never read his replies unless they
>>are
>> quited in someone else's message.  Indeed, I filter his replies as
>> "already read"; and I filter threads he starts as "ignore thread".
>>  I suggest you too ignore him.  It will improve your digestion and
>>blood
>> pressure.

Not to mention saving the rest of us time and more!
>>
>You're not the first to suggest people ignore him .... but, in the
>past, he has actually helped me out with one of my problems ... but,
>now that he is being a Smartarse, posting with a text part and a HTML
>part, I can foresee him becoming less useful!!

That's the irritating thing; _some_ of these irritating people sometimes
post something useful/helpful. Another one is A*l* H*d*r.

You just have to decide whether it's worth the investment of time, for
the occasional useful titbit. But if you decide it is, at least please
refrain from responding to their non-useful posts, for the benefit of
the rest of us.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The breathtaking wonders of nature revealed to the soothing tones of Sir David
Attenborough. Life doesn't get much better than that.
- Ben Preston, Radio Times editor (2016/11/26-12/2)
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Avast/AVG Certificates?

Mike Easter-2
In reply to this post by David E. Ross
I don't have (much of) anything related to the cert issue, just a mod
comment.

David E. Ross wrote:
> Twice over the past two days, I have tried to post this issue on the
> mozilla.dev.security.policy newsgroup; but it has never appeared.  I
> know the mozilla.dev.security.policy is moderated.  In the past,
> however, my messages have been automatically accepted because I always
> post on-topic without arguing.  For some reason, my messages are being
> blocked.
>
The last/ most recent/ msg I see posted by you there is almost 1.5 y
ago.  There could have been a mod 'adjustment' since then/ that time/
that might 'incidentally' (as opposed to purposely) have caused your
msg/s to no longer be auto- grandfathered as approved and which might
cause a need for your/ (anyone 'new' since the mod process change) msg/s
to require assertive approval; and the 'newer' mod process may not have
gotten around to that yet.

>
> AVG AntiVirus forced three root certificates and then server
> certificates for my two E-mail accounts into my Thunderbird
> database.

This behavior seems to be a combination of AVG (which is notorious for
having default settings which are self-AVG-serving) and Tb 'allowing'
w/o alerting the user for approval.

Perhaps some dev is actually looking into it, but neglected to say
something.  In any case, AVG is the 'primary' offender, while Tb would
be considered 'secondary' IMO.  I believe that AVG has 'high level'
privileges as the default install.



--
Mike Easter
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Avast/AVG Certificates?

Daniel-3
In reply to this post by J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote on 9/08/2020 12:51 AM:

> On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 at 20:19:18, Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote on 8/08/2020 3:53 PM:
> []
>>>  I never reply to "Good Guy".  I never read his replies unless they are
>>> quited in someone else's message.  Indeed, I filter his replies as
>>> "already read"; and I filter threads he starts as "ignore thread".
>>>  I suggest you too ignore him.  It will improve your digestion and blood
>>> pressure.
>
> Not to mention saving the rest of us time and more!
>>>
>> You're not the first to suggest people ignore him .... but, in the
>> past, he has actually helped me out with one of my problems ... but,
>> now that he is being a Smartarse, posting with a text part and a HTML
>> part, I can foresee him becoming less useful!!
>
> That's the irritating thing; _some_ of these irritating people sometimes
> post something useful/helpful. Another one is A*l* H*d*r.
>
> You just have to decide whether it's worth the investment of time, for
> the occasional useful titbit. But if you decide it is, at least please
> refrain from responding to their non-useful posts, for the benefit of
> the rest of us.

I'll try to restrain myself! ;-)
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Avast/AVG Certificates?

Daniel-3
In reply to this post by Mike Easter-2
Mike Easter wrote on 9/08/2020 5:47 AM:

> I don't have (much of) anything related to the cert issue, just a mod
> comment.
>
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> Twice over the past two days, I have tried to post this issue on the
>> mozilla.dev.security.policy newsgroup; but it has never appeared.  I
>> know the mozilla.dev.security.policy is moderated.  In the past,
>> however, my messages have been automatically accepted because I always
>> post on-topic without arguing.  For some reason, my messages are being
>> blocked.
>>
> The last/ most recent/ msg I see posted by you there is almost 1.5 y
> ago.  There could have been a mod 'adjustment' since then/ that time/
> that might 'incidentally' (as opposed to purposely) have caused your
> msg/s to no longer be auto- grandfathered as approved and which might
> cause a need for your/ (anyone 'new' since the mod process change) msg/s
> to require assertive approval; and the 'newer' mod process may not have
> gotten around to that yet.

Ah!! So the moderation process may be operating in "Our" (that's the
broader populous "us") favour.

Thank you.

Yeah!--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general