Automatic URL completion

Doug Bissett-2
I am having a problem. Firefox will automatically try adding "www." in
front, and ".com" at the end, of a partial URL. For instance, if I
type:
eComStation
it will try:
eComStation.com
and
www.eComStation.com
(possibly a couple of others).

Okay, my problem is that I have a D-LINK DIR-506L WiFi gizmo that is
supposed to detect:
dir-506l.local

In windows, it always finds it. In eCS, it never finds it, and pops up
a 404 saying it can't find:
www.dir-506l.local

Of course it can't find it, there is no "www." at the front.

Any ideas?  Thanks...

--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net

Re: Automatic URL completion

Dave Yeo-3
On 08/13/16 07:34 PM, Doug Bissett wrote:

> I am having a problem. Firefox will automatically try adding "www." in
> front, and ".com" at the end, of a partial URL. For instance, if I
> type:
> eComStation
> it will try:
> eComStation.com
> and
> www.eComStation.com
> (possibly a couple of others).
>
> Okay, my problem is that I have a D-LINK DIR-506L WiFi gizmo that is
> supposed to detect:
> dir-506l.local
>
> In windows, it always finds it. In eCS, it never finds it, and pops up
> a 404 saying it can't find:
> www.dir-506l.local
>
> Of course it can't find it, there is no "www." at the front.
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks...

Go to about:config and search for fixup or fixup.alternative. It'll give
you a few choices such as enabled, default suffix and default prefix.
Perhaps disable it or change the default prefix to an empty string.
Dave

Re: Automatic URL completion

Doug Bissett-2
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 02:58:51 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 08/13/16 07:34 PM, Doug Bissett wrote:
> > I am having a problem. Firefox will automatically try adding "www." in
> > front, and ".com" at the end, of a partial URL. For instance, if I
> > type:
> > eComStation
> > it will try:
> > eComStation.com
> > and
> > www.eComStation.com
> > (possibly a couple of others).
> >
> > Okay, my problem is that I have a D-LINK DIR-506L WiFi gizmo that is
> > supposed to detect:
> > dir-506l.local
> >
> > In windows, it always finds it. In eCS, it never finds it, and pops up
> > a 404 saying it can't find:
> > www.dir-506l.local
> >
> > Of course it can't find it, there is no "www." at the front.
> >
> > Any ideas?  Thanks...
>
> Go to about:config and search for fixup or fixup.alternative. It'll give
> you a few choices such as enabled, default suffix and default prefix.
> Perhaps disable it or change the default prefix to an empty string.
> Dave

Thanks. I need to spend some more time playing with the options, but
initial tests didn't help, although it seems to have quit adding the
"www.". It did make me look for DNS settings, and some of that looks
like it could be more promising.

I also found a few tips about similar things, indicating that using a
slower external DNS server might help, but I doubt if it will. Windows
seems to be able to find it okay. I would put the address into the
HOSTS file, but sometimes the address changes (it is set by DHCP in
the host router), so I really have no way to know what it might be.

I am able to compare settings between FF 48.0 in win 10, with FF
38.8.0 in eCS. There are a few new settings that appear to have
something to do with it, but I have had the problem since before FF 38
in windows, and windows always seems to work, even when the address
range is completely different (eg. 192.168.0.x on the PC, and the
dir-506l is set to 192.168.42.x)

I have considered making a script to find it, and attach it so I can
make the required changes, but I haven't got around to it, yet. It
appears that I will need to start at 0.0.0.0 and work my way to
255.255.255.255 looking for it, although I probably only need to do
the 192.168.x.y range.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks...

--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett

Doug Bissett wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 02:58:51 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 08/13/16 07:34 PM, Doug Bissett wrote:
>>> I am having a problem. Firefox will automatically try adding "www." in
>>> front, and ".com" at the end, of a partial URL. For instance, if I
>>> type:
>>> eComStation
>>> it will try:
>>> eComStation.com
>>> and
>>> www.eComStation.com
>>> (possibly a couple of others).
>>>
>>> Okay, my problem is that I have a D-LINK DIR-506L WiFi gizmo that is
>>> supposed to detect:
>>> dir-506l.local
>>>
>>> In windows, it always finds it. In eCS, it never finds it, and pops up
>>> a 404 saying it can't find:
>>> www.dir-506l.local
>>>
>>> Of course it can't find it, there is no "www." at the front.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?  Thanks...
>>
>> Go to about:config and search for fixup or fixup.alternative. It'll give
>> you a few choices such as enabled, default suffix and default prefix.
>> Perhaps disable it or change the default prefix to an empty string.
>> Dave
>
> Thanks. I need to spend some more time playing with the options, but
> initial tests didn't help, although it seems to have quit adding the
> "www.". It did make me look for DNS settings, and some of that looks
> like it could be more promising.
>
> I also found a few tips about similar things, indicating that using a
> slower external DNS server might help, but I doubt if it will. Windows
> seems to be able to find it okay. I would put the address into the
> HOSTS file, but sometimes the address changes (it is set by DHCP in
> the host router), so I really have no way to know what it might be.
>
> I am able to compare settings between FF 48.0 in win 10, with FF
> 38.8.0 in eCS. There are a few new settings that appear to have
> something to do with it, but I have had the problem since before FF 38
> in windows, and windows always seems to work, even when the address
> range is completely different (eg. 192.168.0.x on the PC, and the
> dir-506l is set to 192.168.42.x)
>
> I have considered making a script to find it, and attach it so I can
> make the required changes, but I haven't got around to it, yet. It
> appears that I will need to start at 0.0.0.0 and work my way to
> 255.255.255.255 looking for it, although I probably only need to do
> the 192.168.x.y range.
>
> Any other ideas are welcome.
>
> Thanks...

How about a script duplicating the DNS server address in %ETC%\resolv2
(or is that resolv?) after DHCP assigns it so the system queries the
server twice.
If you do do a script to find it, the 192.168.x.y range should be good
enough. Other ranges available include 10.x.y.z and IIRC something in
the 176 range. Some Googling for private address range should pinpoint
the possibilities.
Dave

Doug Bissett wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 02:58:51 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 08/13/16 07:34 PM, Doug Bissett wrote:
>>> I am having a problem. Firefox will automatically try adding "www." in
>>> front, and ".com" at the end, of a partial URL. For instance, if I
>>> type:
>>> eComStation
>>> it will try:
>>> eComStation.com
>>> and

Doug Bissett wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 02:58:51 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 08/13/16 07:34 PM, Doug Bissett wrote:
>>> I am having a problem. Firefox will automatically try adding "www." in
>>> front, and ".com" at the end, of a partial URL. For instance, if I
>>> type:
>>> eComStation
>>> it will try:
>>> eComStation.com
>>> and
>>> www.eComStation.com
>>> (possibly a couple of others).
>>>
>>> Okay, my problem is that I have a D-LINK DIR-506L WiFi gizmo that is
>>> supposed to detect:
>>> dir-506l.local
>>>
>>> In windows, it always finds it. In eCS, it never finds it, and pops up
>>> a 404 saying it can't find:
>>> www.dir-506l.local
>>>
>>> Of course it can't find it, there is no "www." at the front.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?  Thanks...
>>
>> Go to about:config and search for fixup or fixup.alternative. It'll give
>> you a few choices such as enabled, default suffix and default prefix.
>> Perhaps disable it or change the default prefix to an empty string.
>> Dave
>
> Thanks. I need to spend some more time playing with the options, but
> initial tests didn't help, although it seems to have quit adding the
> "www.". It did make me look for DNS settings, and some of that looks
> like it could be more promising.
>
> I also found a few tips about similar things, indicating that using a
> slower external DNS server might help, but I doubt if it will. Windows
> seems to be able to find it okay. I would put the address into the
> HOSTS file, but sometimes the address changes (it is set by DHCP in
> the host router), so I really have no way to know what it might be.
>
> I am able to compare settings between FF 48.0 in win 10, with FF
> 38.8.0 in eCS. There are a few new settings that appear to have
> something to do with it, but I have had the problem since before FF 38
> in windows, and windows always seems to work, even when the address
> range is completely different (eg. 192.168.0.x on the PC, and the
> dir-506l is set to 192.168.42.x)
>
> I have considered making a script to find it, and attach it so I can
> make the required changes, but I haven't got around to it, yet. It
> appears that I will need to start at 0.0.0.0 and work my way to
> 255.255.255.255 looking for it, although I probably only need to do
> the 192.168.x.y range.
>
> Any other ideas are welcome.
>
> Thanks...

How about a script duplicating the DNS server address in %ETC%\resolv2
(or is that resolv?) after DHCP assigns it so the system queries the
server twice.
If you do do a script to find it, the 192.168.x.y range should be good
enough. Other ranges available include 10.x.y.z and IIRC something in
the 176 range. Some Googling for private address range should pinpoint
the possibilities.
Dave

Re: Automatic URL completion

Dave Yeo-3
On 08/14/16 05:34 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

And here the message is sitting on my desktop after SM claimed failure
to send 3 times :( Sorry for the multiple posts
Dave

Re: Automatic URL completion

Doug Bissett-2
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 00:34:35 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Doug Bissett wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 02:58:51 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> >> Go to about:config and search for fixup or fixup.alternative. It'll give
> >> you a few choices such as enabled, default suffix and default prefix.
> >> Perhaps disable it or change the default prefix to an empty string.
> >> Dave
> >
> > Thanks. I need to spend some more time playing with the options, but
> > initial tests didn't help, although it seems to have quit adding the
> > "www.". It did make me look for DNS settings, and some of that looks
> > like it could be more promising.
> >
> > I also found a few tips about similar things, indicating that using a
> > slower external DNS server might help, but I doubt if it will. Windows
> > seems to be able to find it okay. I would put the address into the
> > HOSTS file, but sometimes the address changes (it is set by DHCP in
> > the host router), so I really have no way to know what it might be.
> >
> > I am able to compare settings between FF 48.0 in win 10, with FF
> > 38.8.0 in eCS. There are a few new settings that appear to have
> > something to do with it, but I have had the problem since before FF 38
> > in windows, and windows always seems to work, even when the address
> > range is completely different (eg. 192.168.0.x on the PC, and the
> > dir-506l is set to 192.168.42.x)
> >
> > I have considered making a script to find it, and attach it so I can
> > make the required changes, but I haven't got around to it, yet. It
> > appears that I will need to start at 0.0.0.0 and work my way to
> > 255.255.255.255 looking for it, although I probably only need to do
> > the 192.168.x.y range.
> >
> > Any other ideas are welcome.
> >
> > Thanks...
> >

> How about a script duplicating the DNS server address in %ETC%\resolv2
> (or is that resolv?) after DHCP assigns it so the system queries the
> server twice.

Part of the problem is that I need to know the server address, before
I can ask it what the server address is.

I did spend some time comparing FF in windows and eCS. It is more
basic than that. Even a ping to the assigned name doesn't find it in
eCS (ping to the address works as expected), and it does work in
windows.

> If you do do a script to find it, the 192.168.x.y range should be good
> enough. Other ranges available include 10.x.y.z and IIRC something in
> the 176 range. Some Googling for private address range should pinpoint
> the possibilities.
> Dave

I know the possibilities, but the device holds the previous address
(which could be recorded, if I was always using the same machine, but
I am not), and it could be almost anything, having been assigned by
the previous access to a DHCP server. At home, I have my router set to
always give it the same address, but I don't have that control when I
am traveling. So far, I have been using windows to get at it to
reconfigure, but it should be possible in eCS too. The "emergency"
method is to reset it to factory settings, and start over, but that is
more work than rebooting to windows.

Now to figure out the best way to find the address.

--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net