Attn SeaMonkey localizers, hint regarding DuckDuckGo search plugin

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Attn SeaMonkey localizers, hint regarding DuckDuckGo search plugin

Frank Wein
Hi all SeaMonkey localizers,
you want to take a look at
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1104922 regarding the
localization of the DuckDuckGo (DDG) search plugin in
suite/locales/en-US/searchplugins/duckduckgo.xml. DuckDuckGo offers the
posibility that the results for a specific language/region are preferred
when searching using DDG. I think localizers want to use this feature
for localized builds. As written in the bug, you need to add the
"kl"-Parameter to duckduckgo.xml for this to work. So in duckduckgo.xml
you would add a line like e.g.
<Param name="kl" value="de-de"/>

to prefer results from German-speaking region (the page there says
Germany, but I observed it's by language, so also Austria and
Switzerland in this case).

Frank
_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attn SeaMonkey localizers, hint regarding DuckDuckGo search plugin

Mihovil Stanic
Is there same option for Firefox?
Couldn't find it in Pootle files.

Best regards,
Mihovil

7.12.2014. u 12:28, Frank Wein je napisao/la:

> Hi all SeaMonkey localizers,
> you want to take a look at
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1104922 regarding the
> localization of the DuckDuckGo (DDG) search plugin in
> suite/locales/en-US/searchplugins/duckduckgo.xml. DuckDuckGo offers the
> posibility that the results for a specific language/region are preferred
> when searching using DDG. I think localizers want to use this feature
> for localized builds. As written in the bug, you need to add the
> "kl"-Parameter to duckduckgo.xml for this to work. So in duckduckgo.xml
> you would add a line like e.g.
> <Param name="kl" value="de-de"/>
>
> to prefer results from German-speaking region (the page there says
> Germany, but I observed it's by language, so also Austria and
> Switzerland in this case).
>
> Frank
> _______________________________________________
> dev-l10n mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n

_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attn SeaMonkey localizers, hint regarding DuckDuckGo search plugin

Frank Wein
In reply to this post by Frank Wein
Mihovil Stanic schrieb:
> Is there same option for Firefox?
> Couldn't find it in Pootle files.
>
> Best regards,
> Mihovil

Firefox does not seem to use this, I'm not really sure why. Maybe noone
thought of this possibility?

Frank
_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attn SeaMonkey localizers, hint regarding DuckDuckGo search plugin

Axel Hecht
In reply to this post by Frank Wein
There are two questions here:

We only modify search engines in Firefox with patches in bugs, they're
not exposed in pootle.

As for the DDG params, Polish would like to do it, we'll review that in
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1106638.

I expect us to change the technical details on how we ship search
plugins to users, too.

Axel

On 12/7/14 2:29 PM, Mihovil Stanic wrote:

> Is there same option for Firefox?
> Couldn't find it in Pootle files.
>
> Best regards,
> Mihovil
>
> 7.12.2014. u 12:28, Frank Wein je napisao/la:
>> Hi all SeaMonkey localizers,
>> you want to take a look at
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1104922 regarding the
>> localization of the DuckDuckGo (DDG) search plugin in
>> suite/locales/en-US/searchplugins/duckduckgo.xml. DuckDuckGo offers the
>> posibility that the results for a specific language/region are preferred
>> when searching using DDG. I think localizers want to use this feature
>> for localized builds. As written in the bug, you need to add the
>> "kl"-Parameter to duckduckgo.xml for this to work. So in duckduckgo.xml
>> you would add a line like e.g.
>> <Param name="kl" value="de-de"/>
>>
>> to prefer results from German-speaking region (the page there says
>> Germany, but I observed it's by language, so also Austria and
>> Switzerland in this case).
>>
>> Frank
>> _______________________________________________
>> dev-l10n mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
>

_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attn SeaMonkey localizers, hint regarding DuckDuckGo search plugin

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez-3
In reply to this post by Frank Wein
El 07/12/14 a las 12:28, Frank Wein escribió:

> Hi all SeaMonkey localizers,
> you want to take a look at
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1104922 regarding the
> localization of the DuckDuckGo (DDG) search plugin in
> suite/locales/en-US/searchplugins/duckduckgo.xml. DuckDuckGo offers the
> posibility that the results for a specific language/region are preferred
> when searching using DDG. I think localizers want to use this feature
> for localized builds. As written in the bug, you need to add the
> "kl"-Parameter to duckduckgo.xml for this to work. So in duckduckgo.xml
> you would add a line like e.g.
> <Param name="kl" value="de-de"/>
> to prefer results from German-speaking region (the page there says
> Germany, but I observed it's by language, so also Austria and
> Switzerland in this case).


Sorry for jumping in so late about this but, shouldn't the same
procedure used by Firefox be followed when dealing with this in
SeaMonkey? I mean, instead of changing directly the duckduckgo.xml
file, a different one should be created in the searchplugins
directory. For example, to deliver a localized DDG plugin experience
in German, the following steps should be taken:

- Copy duckduckgo.xml to, for instance, duckduckgo-de.xml
- Remove duckduckgo.xml from the searchplugins directory of your
localization
- Edit duckduckgo-de.xml to add the changes commented by Frank.
- Edit list.txt in the searchplugins to change the name of DDG plugin
to duckduckgo-de.

How not doing that is going to be managed by the build system?

TIA

--
Ricardo Palomares (RickieES)
http://www.mozilla-hispano.org/
http://www.proyectonave.es/
https://diasp.eu/u/rickiees


_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attn SeaMonkey localizers, hint regarding DuckDuckGo search plugin

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez-3
In reply to this post by Axel Hecht
El 07/12/14 a las 18:28, Axel Hecht escribió:

> There are two questions here:
>
> We only modify search engines in Firefox with patches in bugs, they're
> not exposed in pootle.
>
> As for the DDG params, Polish would like to do it, we'll review that
> in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1106638.
>
> I expect us to change the technical details on how we ship search
> plugins to users, too.


Pike, I have a couple of questions, in case you can help us:

- Is the rule of changing the names of searchplugins when a
localization wants to ship a customized version a build requirement
(thus, affecting Thunderbird and SeaMonkey as well) or just part of
the productization guide for Firefox?

- We're working in a Productization Guide for SeaMonkey, similar to
the Firefox one. When searching in MDN, though, the productization
guide seems not to be constrained to Firefox [1]. Does that mean that
the guide covers all products? Os is it fine if we upload the
SeaMonkey p12n guide to MDN? Will those changes in the technical
details you mention affect SeaMonkey, or the SM p12n guide?

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Productization_guide

TIA

--
Ricardo Palomares (RickieES)
http://www.mozilla-hispano.org/
http://www.proyectonave.es/
https://diasp.eu/u/rickiees


_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attn SeaMonkey localizers, hint regarding DuckDuckGo search plugin

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
Il 14/12/14 22:53, Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez ha scritto:
> - Is the rule of changing the names of searchplugins when a
> localization wants to ship a customized version a build requirement
> (thus, affecting Thunderbird and SeaMonkey as well) or just part of
> the productization guide for Firefox?
For Firefox (desktop and Android) is a build requirement: if a
searchplugin with the same name exists in both en-US and l10n
repositories, the one in l10n will be simply ignored. That's why you
need a different filename. I don't think SeaMonkey's and Thunderbird's
build systems are different from that point of view.

> - We're working in a Productization Guide for SeaMonkey, similar to
> the Firefox one. When searching in MDN, though, the productization
> guide seems not to be constrained to Firefox [1]. Does that mean that
> the guide covers all products? Os is it fine if we upload the
> SeaMonkey p12n guide to MDN? Will those changes in the technical
> details you mention affect SeaMonkey, or the SM p12n guide?
If nothing else the person who should review those changes is different.
And I believe SeaMonkey's policies are less strict (maybe Thunderbird's
too now?), at least based on the landings that I see in my own locale.

It's definitely too early to talk about changes in how we ship
searchplugins, or if that affects Thunderbird or Seamonkey.
Eventually it should be a change at build level, so it shouldn't affect
automatically all products.

Francesco
_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attn SeaMonkey localizers, hint regarding DuckDuckGo search plugin

Axel Hecht
In reply to this post by Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez-3
On 12/14/14 10:53 PM, Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez wrote:

> El 07/12/14 a las 18:28, Axel Hecht escribió:
>> There are two questions here:
>>
>> We only modify search engines in Firefox with patches in bugs, they're
>> not exposed in pootle.
>>
>> As for the DDG params, Polish would like to do it, we'll review that
>> in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1106638.
>>
>> I expect us to change the technical details on how we ship search
>> plugins to users, too.
>
>
> Pike, I have a couple of questions, in case you can help us:
>
> - Is the rule of changing the names of searchplugins when a
> localization wants to ship a customized version a build requirement
> (thus, affecting Thunderbird and SeaMonkey as well) or just part of
> the productization guide for Firefox?
>
> - We're working in a Productization Guide for SeaMonkey, similar to
> the Firefox one. When searching in MDN, though, the productization
> guide seems not to be constrained to Firefox [1]. Does that mean that
> the guide covers all products? Os is it fine if we upload the
> SeaMonkey p12n guide to MDN? Will those changes in the technical
> details you mention affect SeaMonkey, or the SM p12n guide?

I think this is a thread for .governance and/or a conversation between
the SeaMonkey council (and its Thunderbird equivalent) and the .... errr
..... something with Mitchell. In theory, the Foundation.

This is about money, to some extent, and I don't know (and don't
want/need to know) how the concerns there are dealt with. Even not
taking money is a conversation about leaving money on the table.

Mitchell shapes that conversation for the moco products, and I think she
should do the same for "mozilla project projects".

Axel

> [1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Productization_guide
>
> TIA
>

_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attn SeaMonkey localizers, hint regarding DuckDuckGo search plugin

Michal Stanke
In reply to this post by Frank Wein
Hi.

We decided to add localized DDG (as described below) to Czech SeaMonkey
and if possible also Thunderbird. Mya I ask, what's the right procedure
now, please? What changes and approvals should we get? AFAIK, for
Firefox searchplugins filling a special bug is necessary too.

Best regards
Michal Stanke

Dne 7.12.2014 v 12:28 Frank Wein napsal(a):

> Hi all SeaMonkey localizers,
> you want to take a look at
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1104922 regarding the
> localization of the DuckDuckGo (DDG) search plugin in
> suite/locales/en-US/searchplugins/duckduckgo.xml. DuckDuckGo offers the
> posibility that the results for a specific language/region are preferred
> when searching using DDG. I think localizers want to use this feature
> for localized builds. As written in the bug, you need to add the
> "kl"-Parameter to duckduckgo.xml for this to work. So in duckduckgo.xml
> you would add a line like e.g.
> <Param name="kl" value="de-de"/>
>
> to prefer results from German-speaking region (the page there says
> Germany, but I observed it's by language, so also Austria and
> Switzerland in this case).
>
> Frank
> _______________________________________________
> dev-l10n mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n

_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attn SeaMonkey localizers, hint regarding DuckDuckGo search plugin

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez-3
In reply to this post by Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez-3
El 15/12/14 a las 08:54, Francesco Lodolo [:flod] escribió:

> Il 14/12/14 22:53, Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez ha scritto:
>> - Is the rule of changing the names of searchplugins when a
>> localization wants to ship a customized version a build requirement
>> (thus, affecting Thunderbird and SeaMonkey as well) or just part of
>> the productization guide for Firefox?
> For Firefox (desktop and Android) is a build requirement: if a
> searchplugin with the same name exists in both en-US and l10n
> repositories, the one in l10n will be simply ignored. That's why you
> need a different filename. I don't think SeaMonkey's and Thunderbird's
> build systems are different from that point of view.


Well, we have now SeaMonkey 2.33b1 builds (candidates, but good enough
for this testing) [1]. I've downloaded and tested two locale builds
significant for this topic: sv-SE and ru.

sv-SE modified the duckduckgo.xml searchplugin to add the locale
parameters Frank Wein commented on, but kept the file name untouched
[2]. The result is that no duckduckgo.xml at all is found in their
binary (at least, in the linux-i686).

On the other hand, ru also modified the DDG searchplugin to do the
same (add the locale parameters to the search), but it followed the
productization guide and renamed the searchplugin file name to
duckduckgo-ru.xml [3]. The result is that the plugin is shipped, and
it is the russian locale version.

So, by now we can conclude, with no doubt at all, that to make changes
to the default content of a searchplugin, the file itself must be
renamed. You will need to change the name also in the list.txt file.

BTW, sv-SE SeaMonkey localizers, you may want to fix this. :-)

[1]
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/nightly/2.33b1-candidates/build1/linux-i686/

[2]
http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/l10n/mozilla-beta/sv-SE/file/tip/suite/searchplugins

[3]
http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/l10n/mozilla-beta/ru/file/tip/suite/searchplugins

--
Proyecto NAVE (Mozilla es-ES Localization Team)
Mozilla Hispano Community

_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attn SeaMonkey localizers, hint regarding DuckDuckGo search plugin

Michal Stanke
In reply to this post by Michal Stanke
Hi.

I just pushed DuckDuckGo plugin with the "kl" parameter for Czech in the
repository (aurora
<http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/l10n/mozilla-aurora/cs/rev/b61e95ddaedb>, central
<http://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/cs/rev/c6274be58b2e>) for SeaMonkey.
Is there any review needed now, or it will just land in the next
release? Can we add the plugin for Thunderbird the same way, or should
wait until Bug 1105092
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1105092> get fixed for
Firefox?

Michal Stanke

Dne 19.1.2015 v 21:12 Michal Stanke napsal(a):

> Hi.
>
> We decided to add localized DDG (as described below) to Czech
> SeaMonkey and if possible also Thunderbird. Mya I ask, what's the
> right procedure now, please? What changes and approvals should we get?
> AFAIK, for Firefox searchplugins filling a special bug is necessary too.
>
> Best regards
> Michal Stanke
>
> Dne 7.12.2014 v 12:28 Frank Wein napsal(a):
>> Hi all SeaMonkey localizers,
>> you want to take a look at
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1104922 regarding the
>> localization of the DuckDuckGo (DDG) search plugin in
>> suite/locales/en-US/searchplugins/duckduckgo.xml. DuckDuckGo offers the
>> posibility that the results for a specific language/region are preferred
>> when searching using DDG. I think localizers want to use this feature
>> for localized builds. As written in the bug, you need to add the
>> "kl"-Parameter to duckduckgo.xml for this to work. So in duckduckgo.xml
>> you would add a line like e.g.
>> <Param name="kl" value="de-de"/>
>>
>> to prefer results from German-speaking region (the page there says
>> Germany, but I observed it's by language, so also Austria and
>> Switzerland in this case).
>>
>> Frank
>> _______________________________________________
>> dev-l10n mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
>

_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attn SeaMonkey localizers, hint regarding DuckDuckGo search plugin

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez-3
In reply to this post by Michal Stanke
El 28/02/15 a las 14:11, Michal Stanke escribió:

> Hi.
>
> I just pushed DuckDuckGo plugin with the "kl" parameter for Czech in
> the repository (aurora
> <http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/l10n/mozilla-aurora/cs/rev/b61e95ddaedb>,
> central <http://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/cs/rev/c6274be58b2e>) for
> SeaMonkey. Is there any review needed now, or it will just land in the
> next release? Can we add the plugin for Thunderbird the same way, or
> should wait until Bug 1105092
> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1105092> get fixed for
> Firefox?


Sorry, I missed your message. Currently there is no review required on
SeaMonkey Council's part, AFAIK. I presume Pike and Flod haven't
changed their mind either about SeaMonkey, so you can go ahead.

Actually, if/when there is review required, as it is currently for
Firefox, you must file a bug and attach a patch to get it reviewed+
*before* actually committing the changes to the repository. :-)

Best regards,

--
Proyecto NAVE (Mozilla es-ES Localization Team)
Mozilla Hispano Community

_______________________________________________
dev-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n