Attendee - Lightning not adhering to RFC standard?

Attendee - Lightning not adhering to RFC standard?

Do Daham
Thunderbird 52.4.0
Lightning 5.4.4

When adding "attendees" (also known as participants) to an event, in the ICS it looks like this:
ATTENDEE;RSVP=TRUE;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT:Mister Bean

However, iCalender RFC 2445 states:
"The property parameter CN is for the common or displayable name associated with the calendar address"

Therefore it should look like this:
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;CN=Mister Bean

Also: I can not change the status (partstat) manually using the GUI of Lightning.

Re: Attendee - Lightning not adhering to RFC standard?

Philipp Kewisch-2
On 10/21/17 6:30 PM, Do Daham wrote:

> Thunderbird 52.4.0
> Lightning 5.4.4
>
> When adding "attendees" (also known as participants) to an event, in the ICS it looks like this:
> ATTENDEE;RSVP=TRUE;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT:Mister Bean
>
> However, iCalender RFC 2445 states:
> "The property parameter CN is for the common or displayable name associated with the calendar address"
>
> Therefore it should look like this:
> ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;CN=Mister Bean
>
> Also: I can not change the status (partstat) manually using the GUI of Lightning.

I'm not exactly sure how you entered it, but if you just put "Mister
Bean" into the attendee field, then this will be considered the email.
Certainly you could argue that Lightning should detect this is not an
email address or otherwise schemed attendee.

The RFC (5545 is more up to date, but same content in this case) also
requires a value, which is the attendee email or identifier. So you'd
need something like this:

ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;CN=Mister
  Bean:mailto:[hidden email]

Philipp

Re: Attendee - Lightning not adhering to RFC standard?

Do Daham
Thanks for the answer, but I think I did not point out strongly enough, what I am trying to say. I can of course enter an e-mail address (I chose not to, to keep the example short) but this changes nothing about the basic problem.

To cut a long story short: The "CN=" part is missing from the ICS file created by the "Lightning" calendar. (This occurs no matter whether I enter an e-mail-address or just a plain name – which is fine by me btw, you should not be forced to enter an e-mail-address as far as I am concerned).

Re: Attendee - Lightning not adhering to RFC standard?

MakeMyDay
Adding a CN parameter is optionally and only set if needed (and just
filling in Mr Bean is interpreted as identifier and not as name). If you
add e.g. Mr Bean <[hidden email]> the attendee property will
contain also the CN param (this typically happens if the person is in
you addressbook with a full name and you have autocomplete working).

That you can add a name without an email address/identifier is a bug and
must not be possible. Can you please file a bug for that in Calendar's
Dialog component?