At what version did Mozilla Firefox start checking for glyph existence instead of just using character substitution fore requested fonts?

At what version did Mozilla Firefox start checking for glyph existence instead of just using character substitution fore requested fonts?

ylluminate
In doing some research I found that current browsers are terrible at rendering old web sites properly that included text from different languages that require different fonts.

In the past you could do something like this:
    font-family:Phoinike;color:blue">A<o:p></o:p></span>

And 'A' would be replaced by the glyph from location index 65 of the requested font.  At some point Firefox began to check if the font contains the 'A' glyph, and if not, the 'A' was then displayed in the default font vs the requested font.

So, as another example, it used to be that outputting "abc" with the Symbol font would display "αβγ".  This stopped along the way over the past 8 years or so.

When did this happen with Firefox?

Re: At what version did Mozilla Firefox start checking for glyph existence instead of just using character substitution fore requested fonts?

ylluminate
So I haven't been able to dig up anything conclusive yet, but I thought that the 3.0 release notes were perhaps interesting:
http://website-archive.mozilla.org/www.mozilla.org/firefox_releasenotes/en-US/firefox/3.0/releasenotes/

Quote:
"New graphics and font handling: new graphics and text rendering architectures in Gecko 1.9 provides rendering improvements in CSS, SVG as well as improved display of fonts with ligatures and complex scripts."

Re: At what version did Mozilla Firefox start checking for glyph existence instead of just using character substitution fore requested fonts?

ylluminate
So I have been digging around for a while here so far and discovered that Firefox doesn't seem to have really ever worked well with fonts as per the above.  I tried 1.0.1, 2.0.0.20, 3.0, 4.0.1 and then realized that I was probably past the point in time where this would have been fixed.  I then tried Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 and found that it works quite well in this situation.  Very surprised, but perhaps Firefox never really had this capability.

I suspect that perhaps the `mso` property has something to do with this.

Re: At what version did Mozilla Firefox start checking for glyph existence instead of just using character substitution fore requested fonts?

Daniel
On 15/09/2017 10:41 AM, ylluminate wrote:
> So I have been digging around for a while here so far and discovered that Firefox doesn't seem to have really ever worked well with fonts as per the above.  I tried 1.0.1, 2.0.0.20, 3.0, 4.0.1 and then realized that I was probably past the point in time where this would have been fixed.  I then tried Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 and found that it works quite well in this situation.  Very surprised, but perhaps Firefox never really had this capability.
>
> I suspect that perhaps the `mso` property has something to do with this.

"1.0.1, 2.0.0.20, 3.0, 4.0.1"?? Isn't FF up to version 50-something,
implying Gecko version 50-something as well??

I don't know if Gecko version 50-something will handle what you want,
but it might be worth a try!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.48 Build identifier: 20170329183526

Go Dallas Cowgirls!! .... Err!! ... Um!! .. I mean *Go Dallas Cowboys* !!

Re: At what version did Mozilla Firefox start checking for glyph existence instead of just using character substitution fore requested fonts?

WaltS48-5
On 9/15/17 8:40 AM, Daniel wrote:

> On 15/09/2017 10:41 AM, ylluminate wrote:
>> So I have been digging around for a while here so far and discovered
>> that Firefox doesn't seem to have really ever worked well with fonts
>> as per the above.  I tried 1.0.1, 2.0.0.20, 3.0, 4.0.1 and then
>> realized that I was probably past the point in time where this would
>> have been fixed.  I then tried Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 and
>> found that it works quite well in this situation.  Very surprised, but
>> perhaps Firefox never really had this capability.
>>
>> I suspect that perhaps the `mso` property has something to do with this.
>>
> "1.0.1, 2.0.0.20, 3.0, 4.0.1"?? Isn't FF up to version 50-something,
> implying Gecko version 50-something as well??
>
> I don't know if Gecko version 50-something will handle what you want,
> but it might be worth a try!!

Maybe they need a better graphics card or computer. 😉

--
Go Bucs, Pitt, Steelers!
Native Americans should have had a hard line immigration stance