Arguments in default constructors and implicit super()

Arguments in default constructors and implicit super()

Peter Hall-4
Some time last year I started a brief discussion about passing
arguments to super() in a constructor, when it is automatically
inserted. (https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es4-discuss/2007-June/000846.html)

The most common use-case from Flex/AS3 is probably for custom events,
where you'd write something like:

   class MyEvent extends Event {
        public function MyEvent(type:String, bubbles:Boolean=false,
cancelable:Boolean=false)
        {
            super(type, bubbles, cancelable);

It would be nice if you could omit the call to super() and have
automatically called with those argments. Or omit the constructor
altogether and have it generated with the same signature as the
super-class's constructor, passing on the arguments.

The last word from Brenden was :
> Seems safe, helps what may be a common case (I don't know -- anyone
> with Flex experience have a count of classes this would help?).

I don't have a class count, nor a good idea of how to go about getting
one, but I know this is common enough to make a difference at least to
me and my team.

Peter

Re: Arguments in default constructors and implicit super()

Nathan de Vries
On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 13:40 +0100, Peter Hall wrote:
> The last word from Brenden was :
> > Seems safe, helps what may be a common case (I don't know -- anyone
> > with Flex experience have a count of classes this would help?).
>
> I don't have a class count, nor a good idea of how to go about getting
> one, but I know this is common enough to make a difference at least to
> me and my team.

My experience reflects yours. As an example, one of my projects (AS3 not
Flex) is approximately 40,000 lines of code with 426 classes, of which
84 would benefit from an inherited constructor signature & an implicit
call to super().

Cheers,

--
Nathan de Vries