Anybody installed this yet?

Re: OT Anybody installed this yet?

Ron Hunter
On 8/24/2013 10:47 AM, pop wrote:

> jetjock said the following on 8/24/2013 10:20 AM:
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>

>>> A friend who frequently makes 300-mile freeway trips swears by his.
>>> Don't know the brand, but if it's important I can find out.  Long ago
>>> (198x) a different friend could tell me what kind of radar signal was
>>> being generated by the sound of the beeps and the appearance of the
>>> lights.
>>>
>> My old Escort detectors were like that. Now the newer versions (Passport
>> by Escort) actually have LEDs that say "X-band", "K-band, "Laser" etc.
>> No longer any doubt. X-band is practically obsolete, so the cops have
>> taken their old units and placed them on overpasses and other structures
>> to fool speeders with detectors into slowing down! Works for stragers
>> passing through, but the locals get very familiar with their locations.
>
> A "Laser" warning is useless - it only can detect it when it is pointed
> at you - by then, it's too late... they've already got your speed!
>
> pop->Mark
There is a range for any speed detection system, and the inverse square
law gives the guy with the radar/laser detector the massive advantage in
range.  The idea is to have the detector see the laser before it can get
a reliable speed because of atenuation.

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

Ron Hunter
On 8/24/2013 11:43 AM, Mr. Ed wrote:

> On 8/24/2013 7:28 AM Daniel submitted the following:
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>> jetjock wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>

>>> Keeping with the nature of this thread, the cameras I was talking about
>>> are the ones that monitor your whereabouts and your personal data .. just
>>> like the NSA sniffing. These cameras don't use radar/laser but instead
>>> photograph your license plate and instantly know who owns the car and
>>> where you are.
>>>
>>> We have them here in New York State and many LEOs have their cars so
>>> equipped. There's a screen on their dashboard that instantly flashes up a
>>> warning when they detect cars with late/overdue registration, stolen,
>>> etc.
>>> There is no way to warn you that one is coming.
>>>
>>> The speed cameras don't necessarily need radar/laser. They can measure
>>> how
>>> far and fast you've traveled between two points and calculate your speed.
>>> In England, there are series of cameras that measure your (license)
>>> over a
>>> long stretch of highway and calculate your *average* speed.
>>
>> We have these sort of cameras on our major highways, supposedly to keep
>> a check on our long haul truckies, to ensure they are taking their
>> required rest breaks.
>>
>> I suppose as technology improves, car drivers will/are also be/being
>> checked.
>>
> And don't forget those E-Z pass transponders you have attached to your
> windshield.  They are not only detected at toll gates, but many other
> places on highways.  One way to detect speed of flowing traffic or even
> to determine where YOU are if police or FBI are looking for YOU and they
> know you have a little box on your windshield.
>
> Not using them for speed violations yet AFAIK.

I like the way they are doing it locally because there is no need for
anyone to stop at a toll gate.

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

The Real Bev
On 08/24/2013 07:19 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 8/24/2013 9:00 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

>>> That's what I said (-:!
>>
>> The way I read what you typed above, you are talking about a car being
>> detected by the police, on the other hand I am talking about a much
>> further off car detecting the the Police are some distance ahead. "My"
>> car is not being detected by Police, yet!!
>>
> It is much simpler, and more effective, to just drive the speed limit....

I generally limit it to 10 mph over, but it's more fun riding with my
friend who regards anything less than 20 over as hopelessly slow.
Fortunately she has the reflexes to deal with it.  Unfortunately she
didn't bring her radar detector on our last trip :-(

--
Cheers, Bev

On 8/24/2013 2:06 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 08/24/2013 07:19 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> The way I read what you typed above, you are talking about a car being
>>> detected by the police, on the other hand I am talking about a much
>>> further off car detecting the the Police are some distance ahead. "My"
>>> car is not being detected by Police, yet!!
>>>
>> It is much simpler, and more effective, to just drive the speed limit....
>
> I generally limit it to 10 mph over, but it's more fun riding with my
> friend who regards anything less than 20 over as hopelessly slow.
> Fortunately she has the reflexes to deal with it.  Unfortunately she
> didn't bring her radar detector on our last trip :-(

Well, at 70, I know I am a bit slower than I was at 25, but experience,
and training, do a lot to compensate.  I have to drive 'farther down the
road'.  I try to keep my speed to the speed limit, or less than 5 over,
but it really doesn't matter HOW fast you drive, someone will come
blazing past you going faster.  It sometimes reminds me of the trip
through Europe on the Autobahn.  Scary!

On 08/24/2013 02:02 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 8/24/2013 2:06 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>> I generally limit it to 10 mph over, but it's more fun riding with my
>> friend who regards anything less than 20 over as hopelessly slow.
>> Fortunately she has the reflexes to deal with it.  Unfortunately she
>> didn't bring her radar detector on our last trip :-(
>>
> Well, at 70, I know I am a bit slower than I was at 25, but experience,
> and training, do a lot to compensate.  I have to drive 'farther down the
> road'.  I try to keep my speed to the speed limit, or less than 5 over,
> but it really doesn't matter HOW fast you drive, someone will come
> blazing past you going faster.

That would be my friend :-)

> It sometimes reminds me of the trip
> through Europe on the Autobahn.  Scary!

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

Daniel-257
Mr. Ed wrote:
> On 8/24/2013 7:28 AM Daniel submitted the following:

<Snip>

>> We have these sort of cameras on our major highways, supposedly to keep
>> a check on our long haul truckies, to ensure they are taking their
>> required rest breaks.
>>
>> I suppose as technology improves, car drivers will/are also be/being
>> checked.
>>
> And don't forget those E-Z pass transponders you have attached to your
> windshield.

Out here, in the sticks, we don't have them .... yet!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/21.0 SeaMonkey/2.18 Build identifier: 20130418192405

or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.20 Build identifier: 20130709211044

The Real Bev wrote:
> On 08/24/2013 07:19 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> On 8/24/2013 9:00 AM, Daniel wrote:

<Snip>

>>> The way I read what you typed above, you are talking about a car being
>>> detected by the police, on the other hand I am talking about a much
>>> further off car detecting the the Police are some distance ahead. "My"
>>> car is not being detected by Police, yet!!
>>>
>> It is much simpler, and more effective, to just drive the speed limit....
>
> I generally limit it to 10 mph over, but it's more fun riding with my
> friend who regards anything less than 20 over as hopelessly slow.
> Fortunately she has the reflexes to deal with it.  Unfortunately she
> didn't bring her radar detector on our last trip :-(

You crazy, speed demon, Bev!! When I'm going "over", I'm talking just
5KPH, or approx 3MPH, over the limit!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/21.0 SeaMonkey/2.18 Build identifier: 20130418192405

or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.20 Build identifier: 20130709211044

Re: OT Anybody installed this yet?

jetjock
Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 8/24/2013 10:20 AM, jetjock wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> A friend who frequently makes 300-mile freeway trips swears by his.
>>> Don't know the brand, but if it's important I can find out.  Long ago
>>> (198x) a different friend could tell me what kind of radar signal was
>>> being generated by the sound of the beeps and the appearance of the
>>> lights.
>>>
>> My old Escort detectors were like that. Now the newer versions (Passport
>> by Escort) actually have LEDs that say "X-band", "K-band, "Laser" etc.
>> No longer any doubt. X-band is practically obsolete, so the cops have
>> taken their old units and placed them on overpasses and other structures
>> to fool speeders with detectors into slowing down! Works for stragers
>> passing through, but the locals get very familiar with their locations.
>
> Maybe they should park near the 'decoys', and use laser detectors to
> catch the locals..  Grin.

I've seen them do just that!!  :-D

On 08/25/2013 03:58 AM, Daniel wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> It is much simpler, and more effective, to just drive the speed limit....
>>
>> I generally limit it to 10 mph over, but it's more fun riding with my
>> friend who regards anything less than 20 over as hopelessly slow.
>> Fortunately she has the reflexes to deal with it.  Unfortunately she
>> didn't bring her radar detector on our last trip :-(
>
> You crazy, speed demon, Bev!! When I'm going "over", I'm talking just
> 5KPH, or approx 3MPH, over the limit!!

I drive a 1988 Eldorado which tends to wallow.  She drives a Honda S2000
with considerably more handling capability. (Two old broads hauling ass
in a sportscar!) Still, 90 or 100 mph on an empty desert interstate is
NOT stupid and may actually keep you from going insane.

This is California.  The practical speed limit is 10 mph over what's
posted.  Unless it's a slow day for the cop.  Or he's under his quota.
Or you stand out in some way.  It's always safest to pick a cluster of
cars going the speed you want and insert yourself into the middle.

--
Cheers, Bev

On 8/25/2013 4:38 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 08/25/2013 03:58 AM, Daniel wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I generally limit it to 10 mph over, but it's more fun riding with my
>>> friend who regards anything less than 20 over as hopelessly slow.
>>> Fortunately she has the reflexes to deal with it.  Unfortunately she
>>> didn't bring her radar detector on our last trip :-(
>>
>> You crazy, speed demon, Bev!! When I'm going "over", I'm talking just
>> 5KPH, or approx 3MPH, over the limit!!
>
> I drive a 1988 Eldorado which tends to wallow.  She drives a Honda S2000
> with considerably more handling capability. (Two old broads hauling ass
> in a sportscar!) Still, 90 or 100 mph on an empty desert interstate is
> NOT stupid and may actually keep you from going insane.
>
> This is California.  The practical speed limit is 10 mph over what's
> posted.  Unless it's a slow day for the cop.  Or he's under his quota.
> Or you stand out in some way.  It's always safest to pick a cluster of
> cars going the speed you want and insert yourself into the middle.

At least, then you can ask how he knows it was YOUR speed he checked...