Anybody installed this yet?

The Real Bev
http://worldtruth.tv/firefox-plug-in-warns-users-of-nsa-surveillance/

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
The Real Bev wrote:

> Anybody installed this yet?
> http://worldtruth.tv/firefox-plug-in-warns-users-of-nsa-surveillance/

No, sorry. I've little time for jokes.

[Think about it. How could a browser plugin on your computer tell you if
someone/something was reading your traffic as it passes through an
Internet wire somewhere between your ISP and .. well, anywhere else.]

--
   -bts

On 08/22/2013 11:09 AM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> Anybody installed this yet?
>> http://worldtruth.tv/firefox-plug-in-warns-users-of-nsa-surveillance/
>
> No, sorry. I've little time for jokes.
>
> [Think about it. How could a browser plugin on your computer tell you if
> someone/something was reading your traffic as it passes through an
> Internet wire somewhere between your ISP and .. well, anywhere else.]

The article was posted by a person known to me as a computer security
professional ("Don't try this at home...").  Would such a person joke
about such a subject?

The Real Bev wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>> Anybody installed this yet?
>>> http://worldtruth.tv/firefox-plug-in-warns-users-of-nsa-surveillance/
>>
>> No, sorry. I've little time for jokes.
>>
>> [Think about it. How could a browser plugin on your computer tell you
>> if someone/something was reading your traffic as it passes through an
>> Internet wire somewhere between your ISP and .. well, anywhere else.]
>
> The article was posted by a person known to me as a computer security
> professional ("Don't try this at home...").  Would such a person joke
> about such a subject?

Sure, why not?  Do you think there is any way a pipe-sniffer somewhere
along a path of Internet traffic could be detected by a browser option?

The only possible way a browser add-on could "alert" you to outside
sniffing where you are surfing is by reading a database of sites that the
add-on people think the NSA is interested in. Kinda like an anti-virus
application with a virus signature database.

--
   -bts

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:

> Sure, why not?  Do you think there is any way a pipe-sniffer somewhere
> along a path of Internet traffic could be detected by a browser option?

An analogy:  you are driving your car along a busy interstate highway. Way
over there in the corner of that overpass is a small camera that is busily
photographing every license plate of every car that passes by. Is there
any way your car could tell you that was happening?

--
   -bts

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

David E. Ross-3
On 8/22/13 12:24 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 08/22/2013 11:09 AM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody installed this yet?
>>> http://worldtruth.tv/firefox-plug-in-warns-users-of-nsa-surveillance/
>>
>> No, sorry. I've little time for jokes.
>>
>> [Think about it. How could a browser plugin on your computer tell you if
>> someone/something was reading your traffic as it passes through an
>> Internet wire somewhere between your ISP and .. well, anywhere else.]
>
> The article was posted by a person known to me as a computer security
> professional ("Don't try this at home...").  Would such a person joke
> about such a subject?

You never heard of someone's E-mail account being hacked to send out
messages containing malware?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., the government)
snooping into your E-mail?  Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

On 8/22/13 1:45 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 8/22/13 12:24 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> No, sorry. I've little time for jokes.
>>>
>>> [Think about it. How could a browser plugin on your computer tell you if
>>> someone/something was reading your traffic as it passes through an
>>> Internet wire somewhere between your ISP and .. well, anywhere else.]
>>
>> The article was posted by a person known to me as a computer security
>> professional ("Don't try this at home...").  Would such a person joke
>> about such a subject?
>>

> You never heard of someone's E-mail account being hacked to send out
> messages containing malware?

By the way, worldtruth.tv is a domain registered in the island nation of
Tuvalu through a registration proxy that hides the actual owner.

Was the message digitally signed?  The general advice about Internet
security is NEVER trust a message from someone about a vulnerability
unless the message is digitally signed in a way that allows you to
verify the origin of the message.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., the government)
snooping into your E-mail?  Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Beauregard T. Shagnasty graced us
with on 8/22/2013 1:21 PM:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:
>
>> Sure, why not?  Do you think there is any way a pipe-sniffer somewhere
>> along a path of Internet traffic could be detected by a browser option?
>
> An analogy:  you are driving your car along a busy interstate highway. Way
> over there in the corner of that overpass is a small camera that is busily
> photographing every license plate of every car that passes by. Is there
> any way your car could tell you that was happening?

Sounds like a Rod Serling Twilight Zone lead-in.

--
Sailfish

On 08/22/2013 01:54 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 8/22/13 1:45 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

>>> The article was posted by a person known to me as a computer security
>>> professional ("Don't try this at home...").  Would such a person joke
>>> about such a subject?
>>
>> You never heard of someone's E-mail account being hacked to send out
>> messages containing malware?
>
> By the way, worldtruth.tv is a domain registered in the island nation of
> Tuvalu through a registration proxy that hides the actual owner.
>
> Was the message digitally signed?  The general advice about Internet
> security is NEVER trust a message from someone about a vulnerability
> unless the message is digitally signed in a way that allows you to
> verify the origin of the message.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think the guy did it (facebook post) as a joke.
Person has been known to the appropriate usenet group and many of its
denizens, some of whom I've actually met and who have actually met the
person in question, for years.

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

WaltS-2
On 08/22/2013 01:51 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> http://worldtruth.tv/firefox-plug-in-warns-users-of-nsa-surveillance/

Nope and don't intend to install it. NSA can surveil away.

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

Ron Hunter
On 8/22/2013 6:42 PM, WaltS wrote:
> On 08/22/2013 01:51 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> http://worldtruth.tv/firefox-plug-in-warns-users-of-nsa-surveillance/
>>

> Nope and don't intend to install it. NSA can surveil away.
I can think of a way to do that.  You write a routine that will contact
NSA, and then report that they are watching everything you do, because,
then they WILL be.  Grin.

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

Jay Garcia
On 22.08.2013 15:21, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:
>
>> Sure, why not?  Do you think there is any way a pipe-sniffer somewhere
>> along a path of Internet traffic could be detected by a browser option?
>
> An analogy:  you are driving your car along a busy interstate highway. Way
> over there in the corner of that overpass is a small camera that is busily
> photographing every license plate of every car that passes by. Is there
> any way your car could tell you that was happening?

Yes, the car in front of you flashes his lights to warn you. :o)

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Jay Garcia wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:
>>> Sure, why not?  Do you think there is any way a pipe-sniffer somewhere
>>> along a path of Internet traffic could be detected by a browser
>>> option?
>>
>> An analogy:  you are driving your car along a busy interstate highway.
>> Way over there in the corner of that overpass is a small camera that is
>> busily photographing every license plate of every car that passes by.
>> Is there any way your car could tell you that was happening?
>
> Yes, the car in front of you flashes his lights to warn you. :o)

Will your browser call my browser?   <g>

--
   -bts

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

goodwin-8
On 08/22/2013 02:32 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> Would such a person joke
> about such a subject?

> Yeah, I'm beginning to think the guy did it (facebook post) as a joke.

uh-huh...

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

Trane Francks
On 8/23/13 4:24 AM +0900, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 08/22/2013 11:09 AM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody installed this yet?
>>> http://worldtruth.tv/firefox-plug-in-warns-users-of-nsa-surveillance/
>>
>> No, sorry. I've little time for jokes.
>>
>> [Think about it. How could a browser plugin on your computer tell you if
>> someone/something was reading your traffic as it passes through an
>> Internet wire somewhere between your ISP and .. well, anywhere else.]
>
> The article was posted by a person known to me as a computer security
> professional ("Don't try this at home...").  Would such a person joke
> about such a subject?

Doesn't matter, Bev. The issue is that the technology simply records
packets as they go by. There is nothing in the packets that could
possibly indicate whether they've been read by NSA tech. The Nasty
Shagger has it right; it's a joke. Every router reads packets on their
way to a destination. As long as the packet remains intact, there is
nothing to indicate who may have read it.

Incidentally, this is what makes packet sniffing so dangerous. You
generally don't know about it till it's far too late to do anything
about it.

--
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Trane Francks    [hidden email]    Tokyo, Japan

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

Daniel-257
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:
>
>> Sure, why not?  Do you think there is any way a pipe-sniffer somewhere
>> along a path of Internet traffic could be detected by a browser option?
>
> An analogy:  you are driving your car along a busy interstate highway. Way
> over there in the corner of that overpass is a small camera that is busily
> photographing every license plate of every car that passes by. Is there
> any way your car could tell you that was happening?

I seem to recall, years ago, you could install a device in your car that
could warn you if Police were using Radar/Laser/whatever to measure car
speeds.

Don't know if they actually saved the driver any money/licence points,
but ....!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/21.0 SeaMonkey/2.18 Build identifier: 20130418192405

or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.20 Build identifier: 20130709211044

David E. Ross wrote:

> On 8/22/13 12:24 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> No, sorry. I've little time for jokes.
>>>
>>> [Think about it. How could a browser plugin on your computer tell you if
>>> someone/something was reading your traffic as it passes through an
>>> Internet wire somewhere between your ISP and .. well, anywhere else.]
>>
>> The article was posted by a person known to me as a computer security
>> professional ("Don't try this at home...").  Would such a person joke
>> about such a subject?
>>

> You never heard of someone's E-mail account being hacked to send out
> messages containing malware?

Pick me!! Pick me!! ...Well almost.

See my "Don't you just hate these spammers??" from about an hour ago!

Daniel wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:
>>> Sure, why not?  Do you think there is any way a pipe-sniffer somewhere
>>> along a path of Internet traffic could be detected by a browser
>>> option?
>>
>> An analogy:  you are driving your car along a busy interstate highway.
>> Way over there in the corner of that overpass is a small camera that is
>> busily photographing every license plate of every car that passes by.
>> Is there any way your car could tell you that was happening?
>
> I seem to recall, years ago, you could install a device in your car that
> could warn you if Police were using Radar/Laser/whatever to measure car
> speeds.

Sure! I've had one for years, though I don't use it much anymore. The
older I get, the slower I go...  now that I've become a septuagenarian.
:-)

> Don't know if they actually saved the driver any money/licence points,
> but ....!!

Oh, absolutely, it saved me lots of money and points over the years. Lots!

But there is no *camera* detector of which I am aware.

--
   -bts

On 8/23/2013 6:23 AM, Daniel wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:
>>
>>> Sure, why not?  Do you think there is any way a pipe-sniffer somewhere
>>> along a path of Internet traffic could be detected by a browser option?
>>
>> An analogy:  you are driving your car along a busy interstate highway.
>> Way
>> over there in the corner of that overpass is a small camera that is
>> busily
>> photographing every license plate of every car that passes by. Is there
>> any way your car could tell you that was happening?
>
> I seem to recall, years ago, you could install a device in your car that
> could warn you if Police were using Radar/Laser/whatever to measure car
> speeds.
>
> Don't know if they actually saved the driver any money/licence points,
> but ....!!

If one habitually speeds, then it might, assuming that he got a warning
before the police got a reading, and slowed down.

Re: Anybody installed this yet?

jetjock
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>Daniel wrote:
>

>>Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>

>>>Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:

>>>An analogy:  you are driving your car along a busy interstate highway.
>>>Way over there in the corner of that overpass is a small camera that is
>>>busily photographing every license plate of every car that passes by.
>>>Is there any way your car could tell you that was happening?
>>>

>>I seem to recall, years ago, you could install a device in your car that
>>could warn you if Police were using Radar/Laser/whatever to measure car
>>speeds.
>>

>Sure! I've had one for years, though I don't use it much anymore. The
>older I get, the slower I go...  now that I've become a septuagenarian.
>:-)
>

>>Don't know if they actually saved the driver any money/licence points,
>>

>Oh, absolutely, it saved me lots of money and points over the years. Lots!
>
>But there is no *camera* detector of which I am aware.

As I understant the technology, the cameras use radar (or laser) to
measure speeds which your (& my) radar detector would pick up. The
camera is only triggered if one is speeding.