Any way to easily save flash files that play in Firefox 1.5?

Any way to easily save flash files that play in Firefox 1.5?

S.Rodgers
I have the Amazing Media Browser extension but it only catches files
that run initially and not those that the flash files links to.  i.e.,
the intro to a flash tutorial that I'd like to save to my hdd shows up
in this extension but not the actual tutorial itself which I need to
have for offline consulting.  I've disabled my IE completely and don't
want to get it going again just for this (it'll often dump swf files
into the temporary internet folder).  I've searched for an extension
to capture any flash that's playing but the only thing that came close
is the extension mentioned above though it doesn't work.  Any ideas on
a means to do this?  Tx.

Re: Any way to easily save flash files that play in Firefox 1.5?

S.Rodgers
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:31:41 -0500, S.Rodgers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have the Amazing Media Browser extension but it only catches files
>that run initially and not those that the flash files links to.  i.e.,
>the intro to a flash tutorial that I'd like to save to my hdd shows up
>in this extension but not the actual tutorial itself which I need to
>have for offline consulting.  I've disabled my IE completely and don't
>want to get it going again just for this (it'll often dump swf files
>into the temporary internet folder).  I've searched for an extension
>to capture any flash that's playing but the only thing that came close
>is the extension mentioned above though it doesn't work.  Any ideas on
>a means to do this?  Tx.

Anyone?

Tx.

Re: Any way to easily save flash files that play in Firefox 1.5?

Moz Champion (Dan)
S.Rodgers wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:31:41 -0500, S.Rodgers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>I have the Amazing Media Browser extension but it only catches files
>>that run initially and not those that the flash files links to.  i.e.,
>>the intro to a flash tutorial that I'd like to save to my hdd shows up
>>in this extension but not the actual tutorial itself which I need to
>>have for offline consulting.  I've disabled my IE completely and don't
>>want to get it going again just for this (it'll often dump swf files
>>into the temporary internet folder).  I've searched for an extension
>>to capture any flash that's playing but the only thing that came close
>>is the extension mentioned above though it doesn't work.  Any ideas on
>>a means to do this?  Tx.
>

> Anyone?
>
> Tx.

 From the Amazing Media Browser extension blurb

Amazing Media Browser automatically searches for all embed objects in a
website and shows you a list of the source links. You can then
conveniently browse through each link to see the content of the source
file. These usually are a Flash movie, a Window Media movie or a mp3
file link.

As far as that goes, AME seems to be doing its job, you may find more
value (for your purposes) in another extension, Flashgot

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=220&application=firefox

Re: Any way to easily save flash files that play in Firefox 1.5?

Philip Chee
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:50:03 -0500, S.Rodgers wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:31:41 -0500, S.Rodgers

>>I have the Amazing Media Browser extension but it only catches files
>>that run initially and not those that the flash files links to.  i.e.,
>>the intro to a flash tutorial that I'd like to save to my hdd shows up
>>in this extension but not the actual tutorial itself which I need to
>>have for offline consulting.  I've disabled my IE completely and don't
>>want to get it going again just for this (it'll often dump swf files
>>into the temporary internet folder).  I've searched for an extension
>>to capture any flash that's playing but the only thing that came close
>>is the extension mentioned above though it doesn't work.  Any ideas on
>>a means to do this?  Tx.

The problem is that the flash tutorial you downloaded is a flash wrapper. A
flash movie can download other flash movies once it's up and running. The
only way to find out what other flash it's programmed to download is to
decompile it using a flash decompiler. Flash is written in a language called
Actionscript which is very similar to javascript. So once it's been
decompiled it's easy to see what other flash files it downloads.

Phil (Flashblock team member)
--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org

Re: Any way to easily save flash files that play in Firefox 1.5?

S.Rodgers
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:38:11 +0800, Philip Chee
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:50:03 -0500, S.Rodgers wrote:
>> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:31:41 -0500, S.Rodgers
>
>>>I have the Amazing Media Browser extension but it only catches files
>>>that run initially and not those that the flash files links to.  i.e.,
>>>the intro to a flash tutorial that I'd like to save to my hdd shows up
>>>in this extension but not the actual tutorial itself which I need to
>>>have for offline consulting.  I've disabled my IE completely and don't
>>>want to get it going again just for this (it'll often dump swf files
>>>into the temporary internet folder).  I've searched for an extension
>>>to capture any flash that's playing but the only thing that came close
>>>is the extension mentioned above though it doesn't work.  Any ideas on
>>>a means to do this?  Tx.
>
>The problem is that the flash tutorial you downloaded is a flash wrapper. A
>flash movie can download other flash movies once it's up and running. The
>only way to find out what other flash it's programmed to download is to
>decompile it using a flash decompiler. Flash is written in a language called
>Actionscript which is very similar to javascript. So once it's been
>decompiled it's easy to see what other flash files it downloads.

Hi, you seem very knowledgeable about this.  <g>
Can you recommend a flash decompiler, preferably freeware?

Thanks.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 05:31:29 -0500, S.Rodgers wrote:

> Hi, you seem very knowledgeable about this.  <g>

These days, with google available, it's very easy to become an instant
expert on almost anything :-) .

> Can you recommend a flash decompiler, preferably freeware?

Google is your friend. Having said that, most of the freeware that google
found (the last time I looked) were mostly demoware or crippleware which
didn't allow you to save the decompiled files.

Phil
--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org
[ ]Dumb luck beats sound planning every time.  Trust me.
* TagZilla 0.059