Anti virus & spyware

Cap Smith
When using Mozilla, do you still require separate anti virus software?

Cap Smith

Re: Anti virus & spyware

RJack-10
Cap Smith wrote:
> When using Mozilla, do you still require separate anti virus software?

Spying cookies can still be set by hosts if you don't have a strict copokie
policy set in the browser. Mozilla don't have a built in anti-virus, so it's
still possible to download files that contains viruses which will infect your
machine when you do install the warez you have downloaded. It will be less
risky to browse the internet, you don't have to worry about things to be
installed on your system without you knowing about it, as it can happen with
MSIE and browsers that uses the MSIE dll files.

As long as you don't switch to another operatingsystem, you still will need to
check for viruses and spyware on your system.

 //Aho

Re: Anti virus & spyware

Moz Champion (Dan)
J.O. Aho wrote:

> Cap Smith wrote:
>
>>When using Mozilla, do you still require separate anti virus software?
>

> Spying cookies can still be set by hosts if you don't have a strict copokie
> policy set in the browser. Mozilla don't have a built in anti-virus, so it's
> still possible to download files that contains viruses which will infect your
> machine when you do install the warez you have downloaded. It will be less
> risky to browse the internet, you don't have to worry about things to be
> installed on your system without you knowing about it, as it can happen with
> MSIE and browsers that uses the MSIE dll files.
>

> As long as you don't switch to another operatingsystem, you still will need to
> check for viruses and spyware on your system.
>

>  //Aho

No, Mozilla doesnt have any Anti Viral software built in, but it does
have several features that protect you.

You dont really require any AV software to be running when you browse
however, you can remain entirelly virus/trojan/backdoor/exploit free by
folloing the simple guidelines below

Dont open attachments
    If you must open one
       Download it to disk and quarantine it for a week
          Ask the sender if they meant to send it
          Ask the sender whats in it
            After the week, update your AV software, scan the file
               If clean, open the attachment

Dont download files from the net
     If you must download one
        Download it to disk and quarantine it for a week
           Ask around on the net if there are any concerns about the file
           Ask around on the net if there are any concerns about the source
              After the week, update your AV software, scan the file
                 If clean, open/run/install the file

The above simple method has kept my computers clean for over 7 years on
the internet, and over 13 years online. I run with javascript enabled,
java enabled, all cookies acceptted, html enabled. I visit each and
every spam site sent my way, and in the course of testing I visit many
'unsavoury' sites. Yet, the above guidelines have kept all my machines
(both mac and windows) completely clean.

The ways that Mozilla provides protection is twofold. For example, there
is a built in bias AGAINST opening .exe (number one vector for viruses
and malware), forcing you to save it to disk first. Additionally, you
have to expressly download or set some helper application to open such
as .wmf files (the latest 'exploit' to hit the news). Sure, most, if not
all windows systems are subject to the .wmf exploit, but if the file
cant get to the system, its quite safe.

Re: Anti virus & spyware

Cap Smith
J.O. Aho wrote:

> Cap Smith wrote:
>
>>When using Mozilla, do you still require separate anti virus software?
>

> Spying cookies can still be set by hosts if you don't have a strict copokie
> policy set in the browser. Mozilla don't have a built in anti-virus, so it's
> still possible to download files that contains viruses which will infect your
> machine when you do install the warez you have downloaded. It will be less
> risky to browse the internet, you don't have to worry about things to be
> installed on your system without you knowing about it, as it can happen with
> MSIE and browsers that uses the MSIE dll files.
>

> As long as you don't switch to another operatingsystem, you still will need to
> check for viruses and spyware on your system.
>

>  //Aho

But for browsing without downloading files, Firefox is OK?

Re: Anti virus & spyware

Cap Smith
Cap Smith wrote:
> When using Mozilla, do you still require separate anti virus software?
>
> Cap Smith
test

Re: Anti virus & spyware

Cap Smith
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> J.O. Aho wrote:
>
>> Cap Smith wrote:
>>
>>> When using Mozilla, do you still require separate anti virus software?
>>

>> Spying cookies can still be set by hosts if you don't have a strict
>> copokie
>> policy set in the browser. Mozilla don't have a built in anti-virus,
>> so it's
>> still possible to download files that contains viruses which will
>> infect your
>> machine when you do install the warez you have downloaded. It will be
>> less
>> risky to browse the internet, you don't have to worry about things to be
>> installed on your system without you knowing about it, as it can
>> happen with
>> MSIE and browsers that uses the MSIE dll files.
>>

>> As long as you don't switch to another operatingsystem, you still will
>> need to
>> check for viruses and spyware on your system.
>>

>>  //Aho
>

> No, Mozilla doesnt have any Anti Viral software built in, but it does
> have several features that protect you.
>
> You dont really require any AV software to be running when you browse
> however, you can remain entirelly virus/trojan/backdoor/exploit free by
> folloing the simple guidelines below
>
> Dont open attachments
>    If you must open one
>       Download it to disk and quarantine it for a week
>          Ask the sender if they meant to send it
>          Ask the sender whats in it
>            After the week, update your AV software, scan the file
>               If clean, open the attachment
>
> Dont download files from the net
>     If you must download one
>        Download it to disk and quarantine it for a week
>           Ask around on the net if there are any concerns about the file
>           Ask around on the net if there are any concerns about the source
>              After the week, update your AV software, scan the file
>                 If clean, open/run/install the file
>
> The above simple method has kept my computers clean for over 7 years on
> the internet, and over 13 years online. I run with javascript enabled,
> java enabled, all cookies acceptted, html enabled. I visit each and
> every spam site sent my way, and in the course of testing I visit many
> 'unsavoury' sites. Yet, the above guidelines have kept all my machines
> (both mac and windows) completely clean.
>
> The ways that Mozilla provides protection is twofold. For example, there
> is a built in bias AGAINST opening .exe (number one vector for viruses
> and malware), forcing you to save it to disk first. Additionally, you
> have to expressly download or set some helper application to open such
> as .wmf files (the latest 'exploit' to hit the news). Sure, most, if not
> all windows systems are subject to the .wmf exploit, but if the file
> cant get to the system, its quite safe.

Thanks for that. What AV do you recommend?

Re: Anti virus & spyware

Cap Smith

Cap Smith wrote:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>
>> J.O. Aho wrote:

>>> Spying cookies can still be set by hosts if you don't have a strict
>>> copokie
>>> policy set in the browser. Mozilla don't have a built in anti-virus,
>>> so it's
>>> still possible to download files that contains viruses which will
>>> infect your
>>> machine when you do install the warez you have downloaded. It will be
>>> less
>>> risky to browse the internet, you don't have to worry about things to be
>>> installed on your system without you knowing about it, as it can
>>> happen with
>>> MSIE and browsers that uses the MSIE dll files.
>>>

>>> As long as you don't switch to another operatingsystem, you still
>>> will need to
>>> check for viruses and spyware on your system.
>>>

>>>  //Aho
>>

>> No, Mozilla doesnt have any Anti Viral software built in, but it does
>> have several features that protect you.
>>
>> You dont really require any AV software to be running when you browse
>> however, you can remain entirelly virus/trojan/backdoor/exploit free
>> by folloing the simple guidelines below
>>
>> Dont open attachments
>>    If you must open one
>>       Download it to disk and quarantine it for a week
>>          Ask the sender if they meant to send it
>>          Ask the sender whats in it
>>            After the week, update your AV software, scan the file
>>               If clean, open the attachment
>>
>> Dont download files from the net
>>     If you must download one
>>        Download it to disk and quarantine it for a week
>>           Ask around on the net if there are any concerns about the file
>>           Ask around on the net if there are any concerns about the
>> source
>>              After the week, update your AV software, scan the file
>>                 If clean, open/run/install the file
>>
>> The above simple method has kept my computers clean for over 7 years
>> on the internet, and over 13 years online. I run with javascript
>> enabled, java enabled, all cookies acceptted, html enabled. I visit
>> each and every spam site sent my way, and in the course of testing I
>> visit many 'unsavoury' sites. Yet, the above guidelines have kept all
>> my machines (both mac and windows) completely clean.
>>
>> The ways that Mozilla provides protection is twofold. For example,
>> there is a built in bias AGAINST opening .exe (number one vector for
>> viruses and malware), forcing you to save it to disk first.
>> Additionally, you have to expressly download or set some helper
>> application to open such as .wmf files (the latest 'exploit' to hit
>> the news). Sure, most, if not all windows systems are subject to the
>> .wmf exploit, but if the file cant get to the system, its quite safe.
>

> Thanks for that. What AV do you recommend?

I use several dependent on what came with the computer. I dont run them
automatically, I simply use them as independent programs when I have the
need to (i.e. after waiting a week to check downloads or attachments).
My AV software sits on the computer as an unopen/non-running program
most of the time, it only gets a call when I have something to check.

Most of the modern AV programs will do the job as per the above
guidelines. The week wait ensures that the detection files are updated
to catch the latest virus

Re: Anti virus & spyware

Ron Hunter
Cap Smith wrote:
> When using Mozilla, do you still require separate anti virus software?
>
> Cap Smith

Yes.  Mozilla/TB will not execute any attachments, but it is prudent to
intercept any such potentially harmful things before they get into your
system.  New methods of infection often use features of the OS, rather
than email clients, to initiate infection.

Re: Anti virus & spyware

Ron Hunter
Cap Smith wrote:

> J.O. Aho wrote:
>> Cap Smith wrote:
>>
>>> When using Mozilla, do you still require separate anti virus software?
>>

>> Spying cookies can still be set by hosts if you don't have a strict
>> copokie
>> policy set in the browser. Mozilla don't have a built in anti-virus,
>> so it's
>> still possible to download files that contains viruses which will
>> infect your
>> machine when you do install the warez you have downloaded. It will be
>> less
>> risky to browse the internet, you don't have to worry about things to be
>> installed on your system without you knowing about it, as it can
>> happen with
>> MSIE and browsers that uses the MSIE dll files.
>>

>> As long as you don't switch to another operatingsystem, you still will
>> need to
>> check for viruses and spyware on your system.
>>

>>  //Aho
>
> But for browsing without downloading files, Firefox is OK?
Firefox will NOT open executables, so it is safe from that standpoint.
Infections are still possible through OS 'exploits' which have nothing
to do with the browser.  A good AV program will help protect your
machine from such things as the Sasser Worm, and other nasties.  A good
spyware program like Microsoft's Anti-spyware Beta can minimize the
impact should a malicious program be downloaded.  Basically, the less
you know about the subject, the more you need good anti-virus and
spyware protection.

Re: Anti virus & spyware

Tom  J

"Cap Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:43c0c41e$0$1477$[hidden email]...

> Thanks for that. What AV do you recommend?

I use Avast (free for home users). It's updated almost daily and
sometime 2 or more times in a single 24 hours. Since I started using
it over 2 years ago, it's caught everything that has tried to get into
my computer.

Tom J

Re: Anti virus & spyware

John Thompson-3
On 2006-01-08, Cap Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When using Mozilla, do you still require separate anti virus software?

Only if you're using Windows.

--

-John ([hidden email])