Announcing MozillaBuild 3.0 Release

Ryan VanderMeulen-2

I am pleased to announce the final release of MozillaBuild 3.0! Sorry in advance for the length of this message, but there's a lot of changes in this release worth calling out.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/libraries/win32/MozillaBuildSetup-Latest.exe

Important changes since version 2.2.0:

  • MozillaBuild now requires Windows 7+ 64-bit to install.

  • Removed the start-shell-msvc*.bat files. See below for more information on this change.

  • Updated Python to version 2.7.13 and switched to the 64-bit version.

  • Added Python 3.6.2.

  • Added nodejs 8.1.4 & npm 5.3.0.

    • ESLint is now a first-class citizen on Windows! Things should Just Work when using the |./mach eslint| command.

  • Other updates to various included components.

    • Mercurial updated to version 4.2.2.

    • NSIS updated to version 3.01 (and older versions removed).

    • Some MSYS components were updated.

  • Behind the scenes, MozillaBuild packaging was completely overhauled so that anyone can now generate an installer package simply by running the packageit.py script from the source checkout. This should in turn make it much easier for new contributors to test their work.

Full changelog:

https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-build/pushloghtml?fromchange=MOZILLABUILD_2_2_0_RELEASE&tochange=MOZILLABUILD_3_0_0_RELEASE

It is strongly advised that you not install this over a previous installation!

Upgrade instructions:

  1. Pull down and update to a modern revision of any trunk repo (mozilla-central, inbound, or autoland).

  2. Run |./mach mercurial-setup --update-only| to ensure the version-control-tools repository is current. Extension bustage after upgrade is likely if you don’t do this.

  3. Run |./mach clobber| to remove the object directory of any trees you have. Build errors are pretty much guaranteed to occur otherwise.

  4. Assuming you’ve previously installed Rust via |./mach bootstrap|, backup msys/etc/profile.d/profile-rustup.sh from your current MozillaBuild installation.

  5. Remove your current installation. If you can't remove the existing installation, you probably have a terminal open or ssh-agent running. Terminate it and try again.

  6. Install MozillaBuild 3.0.

  7. Copy profile-rustup.sh to your new msys/etc/profile.d directory. You can also just re-run |./mach bootstrap| if you don’t want to deal with copying files around.

  8. If you previously enabled minTTY, you will need to do so again by setting USE_MINTTY=1 at the top of start-shell.bat.

Please file any problems you come across in mozilla.org::MozillaBuild.

Where did start-shell-msvc*.bat go?

Since the release of MozillaBuild 2.2.0, much has changed with how we build Firefox and in how Microsoft distributes their compiler and SDK toolchains. In order to make things more flexible for both our build automation as well as people building locally, MSVC and Platform SDK detection was moved into the build system where it’s now detected when configure runs. Both MSVC 2015 and 2017 detection is supported, as well as Windows SDK 8.1+.

If you have both MSVC 2015 and 2017 installed, 2017 will be chosen by default. This can be overridden by adding the following line to your mozconfig:

ac_add_options --with-visual-studio-version=2015

Windows builds currently default to 32-bit. This can cause problems with a mismatched Rust toolchain because it’ll try to use the 64-bit one by default and then error out. To create a 64-bit build instead, add the following two lines to your mozconfig:

ac_add_options --host=x86_64-pc-mingw32

ac_add_options --target=x86_64-pc-mingw32

Otherwise, you’ll need to manually install the i686 toolchain by running the |rustup install stable-i686-pc-windows-msvc| command.

If you run into any problems with MSVC or Windows SDK detection, please file a bug in Core::Build Config.

Thanks for reading and enjoy!

-Ryan

Re: Announcing MozillaBuild 3.0 Release

Gregory Szorc-3
Thanks for all your work on this, Ryan!

So everyone knows, this is hopefully the last major overhaul of MozillaBuild.

The plan from build system land is to attempt to go "all in" on Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). That's the feature in Windows 10 (and even in Server additions now) that implements Linux syscalls inside the Windows kernel and allows you to run Linux binaries "natively" on Windows. The performance is pretty good and it is a better Linux-on-Windows approach than msys ever will be. Assuming we can pull it off, the goal is to ditch MozillaBuild and support building Firefox from WSL. You'll then be able to develop on Windows from the comfort of a Linux command line with access to the full power of your favorite Linux distro. We will likely maintain some support for building in non-WSL environments for automation, etc. But for the average developer, we want to focus on WSL because we perceive that to be the best opportunity for a more pleasant development experience on Windows.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Ryan VanderMeulen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
On 21.07.2017 22:52, Gregory Szorc wrote:

Hi folks,

> The plan from build system land is to attempt to go "all in" on Windows
> Subsystem for Linux (WSL). That's the feature in Windows 10 (and even in
> Server additions now) that implements Linux syscalls inside the Windows
> kernel and allows you to run Linux binaries "natively" on Windows. The
> performance is pretty good and it is a better Linux-on-Windows approach
> than msys ever will be.
<snip>

Does that mean, all the Windows specific stuff (at least except gui)
can now be dropped ?

--mtx

Re: Announcing MozillaBuild 3.0 Release

施賀傑
Thanks for the new version of mozbuild!

Is it including msys2? Then, it will be easier to include the bash-completion.

-Jerry

> [...]
> default. This can be overridden by adding the following line to your
> mozconfig
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Build_Instructions/Configuring_Build_Options>
> :
>
> ac_add_options --with-visual-studio-version=2015
>
> Windows builds currently default to 32-bit. This can cause problems with a
> mismatched Rust toolchain because it’ll try to use the 64-bit one by
> default and then error out. To create a 64-bit build instead, add the
> following two lines to your mozconfig:
>
> ac_add_options --host=x86_64-pc-mingw32
>
> ac_add_options --target=x86_64-pc-mingw32
>
> Otherwise, you’ll need to manually install the i686 toolchain by running
> the |rustup install stable-i686-pc-windows-msvc| command.
>
> If you run into any problems with MSVC or Windows SDK detection, please

It does not use msys2. Those plans were dropped in favor of WSL.