And here I thought firefox was to blame...

And here I thought firefox was to blame...

The Real Bev
https://idle.slashdot.org/story/19/07/07/0324255/can-you-beat-the-worlds-worst-user-interface

I gave up.  I've seen those exact problems previously before, though.

For real, though -- more and more sites are just not working with
Firefox/linux while they work just fine with a 1.5-yo chrome.  Most
recent outrage -- Kalifornia's Franchise Tax Board.  I was on hold for
CHAT for over half an hour.  When it was finally my turn, I found that I
was unable to enter text into the box intended for the use TO ENTER TEXT
and was timed out for nonresponse.  I fired up chrome and sent email
instead (response in either 15 or 30 days depending on which part of the
website you believe).

The Professionals (otherwise known as people who are actually paid to do
a job) in all areas are getting dumber and/or meaner, resulting in
decreasing quality of life for everyone.  I used to think it would be a
good idea to live to 120 (Hey, I'm really healthy, why not?);  now I'm
not so sure.

--
Cheers, Bev
    Everyone crashes.  Some get back on.  Some don't.  Some can't.

Re: And here I thought firefox was to blame...

Sailfish-4
7/8/2019 1:36 PM:

> https://idle.slashdot.org/story/19/07/07/0324255/can-you-beat-the-worlds-worst-user-interface
>

> I gave up.  I've seen those exact problems previously before, though.
>
> For real, though -- more and more sites are just not working with
> Firefox/linux while they work just fine with a 1.5-yo chrome.  Most
> recent outrage -- Kalifornia's Franchise Tax Board.  I was on hold for
> CHAT for over half an hour.  When it was finally my turn, I found that I
> was unable to enter text into the box intended for the use TO ENTER TEXT
> and was timed out for nonresponse.  I fired up chrome and sent email
> instead (response in either 15 or 30 days depending on which part of the
> website you believe).
>
> The Professionals (otherwise known as people who are actually paid to do
> a job) in all areas are getting dumber and/or meaner, resulting in
> decreasing quality of life for everyone.  I used to think it would be a
> good idea to live to 120 (Hey, I'm really healthy, why not?);  now I'm
> not so sure.

"That's exactly why we created User Inyerface"
baWHAA!

--
Sailfish

Re: And here I thought firefox was to blame...

Mozilla - General mailing list
Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
> 7/8/2019 1:36 PM:
>
>> https://idle.slashdot.org/story/19/07/07/0324255/can-you-beat-the-worlds-worst-user-interface
>>

>> I gave up.  I've seen those exact problems previously before, though.
>>
>> For real, though -- more and more sites are just not working with
>> Firefox/linux while they work just fine with a 1.5-yo chrome.  Most
>> recent outrage -- Kalifornia's Franchise Tax Board.  I was on hold for
>> CHAT for over half an hour.  When it was finally my turn, I found that
>> I was unable to enter text into the box intended for the use TO ENTER
>> TEXT and was timed out for nonresponse.  I fired up chrome and sent
>> email instead (response in either 15 or 30 days depending on which
>> part of the website you believe).
>>
>> The Professionals (otherwise known as people who are actually paid to
>> do a job) in all areas are getting dumber and/or meaner, resulting in
>> decreasing quality of life for everyone.  I used to think it would be
>> a good idea to live to 120 (Hey, I'm really healthy, why not?);  now
>> I'm not so sure.
>>
> "That's exactly why we created User Inyerface"
> baWHAA!

FWIW, as I am by no means qualified to opine about FF. I have found an
increasing number of Sites where I cannot interact by filling things in.
I have found that turning off uBlock Origin and refresing the page fixes
the problem. YMMV!

On 07/09/2019 08:23 AM, jetjock wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
>> 7/8/2019 1:36 PM:
>>
>>> https://idle.slashdot.org/story/19/07/07/0324255/can-you-beat-the-worlds-worst-user-interface
>>>
>>> I gave up.  I've seen those exact problems previously before, though.
>>>
>>> For real, though -- more and more sites are just not working with
>>> Firefox/linux while they work just fine with a 1.5-yo chrome.  Most
>>> recent outrage -- Kalifornia's Franchise Tax Board.  I was on hold for
>>> CHAT for over half an hour.  When it was finally my turn, I found that
>>> I was unable to enter text into the box intended for the use TO ENTER
>>> TEXT and was timed out for nonresponse.  I fired up chrome and sent
>>> email instead (response in either 15 or 30 days depending on which
>>> part of the website you believe).
>>>
>>> The Professionals (otherwise known as people who are actually paid to
>>> do a job) in all areas are getting dumber and/or meaner, resulting in
>>> decreasing quality of life for everyone.  I used to think it would be
>>> a good idea to live to 120 (Hey, I'm really healthy, why not?);  now
>>> I'm not so sure.
>>>
>> "That's exactly why we created User Inyerface"
>> baWHAA!

Unfortunately it hasn't improved my QOL.  You need to try harder.

> FWIW, as I am by no means qualified to opine about FF. I have found an
> increasing number of Sites where I cannot interact by filling things in.
> I have found that turning off uBlock Origin and refresing the page fixes
> the problem. YMMV!

Would that it were that simple -- it's been off for a long time -- maybe
a year.

Chrome mostly works even with AdblockPlus turned on.

--
Cheers, Bev
    "The almost universal access to higher education here in the US  has

Re: And here I thought firefox was to blame...

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on 7/9/2019
8:23 AM:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
>> 7/8/2019 1:36 PM:
>>
>>> https://idle.slashdot.org/story/19/07/07/0324255/can-you-beat-the-worlds-worst-user-interface
>>>

>>> I gave up.  I've seen those exact problems previously before, though.
>>>
>>> For real, though -- more and more sites are just not working with
>>> Firefox/linux while they work just fine with a 1.5-yo chrome.  Most
>>> recent outrage -- Kalifornia's Franchise Tax Board.  I was on hold
>>> for CHAT for over half an hour.  When it was finally my turn, I found
>>> that I was unable to enter text into the box intended for the use TO
>>> ENTER TEXT and was timed out for nonresponse.  I fired up chrome and
>>> sent email instead (response in either 15 or 30 days depending on
>>> which part of the website you believe).
>>>
>>> The Professionals (otherwise known as people who are actually paid to
>>> do a job) in all areas are getting dumber and/or meaner, resulting in
>>> decreasing quality of life for everyone.  I used to think it would be
>>> a good idea to live to 120 (Hey, I'm really healthy, why not?);  now
>>> I'm not so sure.
>>>
>> "That's exactly why we created User Inyerface"
>> baWHAA!
>>
> FWIW, as I am by no means qualified to opine about FF. I have found an
> increasing number of Sites where I cannot interact by filling things in.
> I have found that turning off uBlock Origin and refresing the page fixes
> the problem. YMMV!

Occasionally that works but mostly I have to call up Chrome and
sometimes even IE to get it to load. Other times, none of them work.
Mind you, I'm not talking about pay-wall site. CBS is particularly a PITA.

--
Sailfish

Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on 7/9/2019
> 8:23 AM:
>
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
>>> 7/8/2019 1:36 PM:

>>> "That's exactly why we created User Inyerface"
>>> baWHAA!
>>>
>> FWIW, as I am by no means qualified to opine about FF. I have found an
>> increasing number of Sites where I cannot interact by filling things
>> in. I have found that turning off uBlock Origin and refresing the page
>> fixes the problem. YMMV!
>>
> Occasionally that works but mostly I have to call up Chrome and
> sometimes even IE to get it to load. Other times, none of them work.
> Mind you, I'm not talking about pay-wall site. CBS is particularly a PITA.

I agree that my "fix" doesn't always work. I've found that Chrome does
work much better on some Sites, especially streaming sports. FF will
continually freeze while Chrome just chugs merrily along! Mostly, the
fix works on Sites that require filling in things.

Re: And here I thought firefox was to blame...

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on 7/10/2019
12:07 PM:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on

>>> FWIW, as I am by no means qualified to opine about FF. I have found
>>> an increasing number of Sites where I cannot interact by filling
>>> things in. I have found that turning off uBlock Origin and refresing
>>> the page fixes the problem. YMMV!
>>>
>> Occasionally that works but mostly I have to call up Chrome and
>> sometimes even IE to get it to load. Other times, none of them work.
>> Mind you, I'm not talking about pay-wall site. CBS is particularly a
>> PITA.
>>
> I agree that my "fix" doesn't always work. I've found that Chrome does
> work much better on some Sites, especially streaming sports. FF will
> continually freeze while Chrome just chugs merrily along! Mostly, the
> fix works on Sites that require filling in things.

Yes, mostly. But Chrome actually works better for PDF forms in that they
support the interactive fillable form field capability, when available.
Whereas, Fx requires me to print the PDF and fill them in with pen/pencil.

Still, Fx is still my go-to browser for a variety or privacy and
security related reasons.

--
Sailfish

On 07/10/2019 10:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on 7/10/2019
> 12:07 PM:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on
>>> 7/9/2019 8:23 AM:

>>> Occasionally that works but mostly I have to call up Chrome and
>>> sometimes even IE to get it to load. Other times, none of them work.
>>> Mind you, I'm not talking about pay-wall site. CBS is particularly a
>>> PITA.
>>>
>> I agree that my "fix" doesn't always work. I've found that Chrome does
>> work much better on some Sites, especially streaming sports. FF will
>> continually freeze while Chrome just chugs merrily along! Mostly, the
>> fix works on Sites that require filling in things.
>>
> Yes, mostly. But Chrome actually works better for PDF forms in that they
> support the interactive fillable form field capability, when available.
> Whereas, Fx requires me to print the PDF and fill them in with pen/pencil.

Linux version too?  I think I've needed that ONCE, but there will
probably be another occasion.

> Still, Fx is still my go-to browser for a variety or privacy and
> security related reasons.

I like to be able to control how the browser works and looks.  Chrome
won't even let me specify the SIZE OF THE SCREEN :-(  I had to download
an add-on which gave me half a dozen choices, none of which was what I
really wanted.

--
Cheers, Bev
     Please hassle me, I thrive on stress.

Re: And here I thought firefox was to blame...

Dave Royal
Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, mostly. But Chrome actually works better for PDF forms in that they
> support the interactive fillable form field capability, when available.
> Whereas, Fx requires me to print the PDF and fill them in with pen/pencil.

Here on Linux, Firefox 68 displays a message warning me that
form-filling of pdf documents is not supported and invites me to open it
in another pdf viewer. So I open it in the default viewer (evince) which
does support form filling. No pen and paper required - unless you have to
sign and post it.

On our Windows machine we have Sumatra as the default pdf reader which ISTR does not
support form filling. So I'd have to use Foxit or something - or do it
on Linux.

I see one or two of these a year.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: And here I thought firefox was to blame...

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Dave Royal graced us with on
7/12/2019 8:34 AM:
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On our Windows machine we have Sumatra as the default pdf reader which ISTR does not
> support form filling. So I'd have to use Foxit or something - or do it
> on Linux.
>
> I see one or two of these a year.

Same-same. However, I use Windows PDFCreator when printing stuff I need
to share with others like government agencies.

--
Sailfish

Re: And here I thought firefox was to blame...

Wolf K.
On 2019-07-15 00:12, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Dave Royal graced us with on
> 7/12/2019 8:34 AM:
>> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On our Windows machine we have Sumatra as the default pdf reader which
>> ISTR does not
>> support form filling. So I'd have to use Foxit or something - or do it
>> on Linux.
>>
>> I see one or two of these a year.
>
> Same-same. However, I use Windows PDFCreator when printing stuff I need
> to share with others like government agencies.

I use Foxit, paid version worth the cost IMO. Sometimes doesn't work
filling forms online, though. Have to Save the PDF, then fill in
offline. YMMV.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com