An introduction

marco.zehe
Hi all!

My name is Marco, and I'll be starting as the new Mozilla accessibility
QA on December 3rd, 2007.

I was previously with Freedom Scientific, one of the world's biggest
manufacturers of software and hardware products for the visually
impaired, including the screen reader JAWS for Windows. All in all, I've
been in the AT technology industry for 11 years, counting also my
student days where I already started working for the German distributor
for JAWS back in the mid-90s.

As the a11y QA, I'll be responsible for  testing new features and fixes
in Firefox and other products from Mozilla, but also I'll be working
with the community to get people involved in testing all the cool new
features of Firefox 3 and future releases. I won't limit myself to the
blindness side of things, but hope to be able to help both developers
and users with all kinds of disabilities such as motor impairments, low
vision (although I might need some sighted help on that occasionally)
and others.

I am totally blind from birth and have been using screen readers of
various shapes and sizes since 1991, when I got my first DOS-based PC.

And in case some of you wonder where you might have seen my name creep
up recently: I am already contributing to the Mozilla project on a
volunteer/spare time basis currently, have been doing that for 2 months
or so.

So, let's get rumblin'!

Marco

Re: An introduction

Evan Yan
Hi Marco,

Nice to hear that.
You have contributed a lot. And I believe we will see more. :)

Best,
Evan

Marco Zehe wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> My name is Marco, and I'll be starting as the new Mozilla accessibility
> QA on December 3rd, 2007.
>
> I was previously with Freedom Scientific, one of the world's biggest
> manufacturers of software and hardware products for the visually
> impaired, including the screen reader JAWS for Windows. All in all, I've
> been in the AT technology industry for 11 years, counting also my
> student days where I already started working for the German distributor
> for JAWS back in the mid-90s.
>
> As the a11y QA, I'll be responsible for  testing new features and fixes
> in Firefox and other products from Mozilla, but also I'll be working
> with the community to get people involved in testing all the cool new
> features of Firefox 3 and future releases. I won't limit myself to the
> blindness side of things, but hope to be able to help both developers
> and users with all kinds of disabilities such as motor impairments, low
> vision (although I might need some sighted help on that occasionally)
> and others.
>
> I am totally blind from birth and have been using screen readers of
> various shapes and sizes since 1991, when I got my first DOS-based PC.
>
> And in case some of you wonder where you might have seen my name creep
> up recently: I am already contributing to the Mozilla project on a
> volunteer/spare time basis currently, have been doing that for 2 months
> or so.
>
> So, let's get rumblin'!
>
> Marco

Re: An introduction

Steve Lee-3
Great news Marco.
Rumble on...

On 26/11/2007, Evan Yan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Marco,
>
> Nice to hear that.
> You have contributed a lot. And I believe we will see more. :)
>
> Best,
> Evan
>
> Marco Zehe wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > My name is Marco, and I'll be starting as the new Mozilla accessibility
> > QA on December 3rd, 2007.
> >
> > I was previously with Freedom Scientific, one of the world's biggest
> > manufacturers of software and hardware products for the visually
> > impaired, including the screen reader JAWS for Windows. All in all, I've
> > been in the AT technology industry for 11 years, counting also my
> > student days where I already started working for the German distributor
> > for JAWS back in the mid-90s.
> >
> > As the a11y QA, I'll be responsible for  testing new features and fixes
> > in Firefox and other products from Mozilla, but also I'll be working
> > with the community to get people involved in testing all the cool new
> > features of Firefox 3 and future releases. I won't limit myself to the
> > blindness side of things, but hope to be able to help both developers
> > and users with all kinds of disabilities such as motor impairments, low
> > vision (although I might need some sighted help on that occasionally)
> > and others.
> >
> > I am totally blind from birth and have been using screen readers of
> > various shapes and sizes since 1991, when I got my first DOS-based PC.
> >
> > And in case some of you wonder where you might have seen my name creep
> > up recently: I am already contributing to the Mozilla project on a
> > volunteer/spare time basis currently, have been doing that for 2 months
> > or so.
> >
> > So, let's get rumblin'!
> >
> > Marco

Steve Lee
--
Jambu - Alternative Access to Computers
www.fullmeasure.co.uk

Re: An introduction

David Bolter
Congratulations MarcoZ!  This is such a win-win.

cheers,
David Bolter

Marco Zehe wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> My name is Marco, and I'll be starting as the new Mozilla accessibility
> QA on December 3rd, 2007.
>
> I was previously with Freedom Scientific, one of the world's biggest
> manufacturers of software and hardware products for the visually
> impaired, including the screen reader JAWS for Windows. All in all, I've
> been in the AT technology industry for 11 years, counting also my
> student days where I already started working for the German distributor
> for JAWS back in the mid-90s.
>
> As the a11y QA, I'll be responsible for  testing new features and fixes
> in Firefox and other products from Mozilla, but also I'll be working
> with the community to get people involved in testing all the cool new
> features of Firefox 3 and future releases. I won't limit myself to the
> blindness side of things, but hope to be able to help both developers
> and users with all kinds of disabilities such as motor impairments, low
> vision (although I might need some sighted help on that occasionally)
> and others.
>
> I am totally blind from birth and have been using screen readers of
> various shapes and sizes since 1991, when I got my first DOS-based PC.
>
> And in case some of you wonder where you might have seen my name creep
> up recently: I am already contributing to the Mozilla project on a
> volunteer/spare time basis currently, have been doing that for 2 months
> or so.
>
> So, let's get rumblin'!
>
> Marco

Re: An introduction

Willie Walker
Agreed!  Glad to see you become official!

Will

David Bolter wrote:

> Congratulations MarcoZ!  This is such a win-win.
>
> cheers,
> David Bolter
>
> Marco Zehe wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> My name is Marco, and I'll be starting as the new Mozilla accessibility
>> QA on December 3rd, 2007.
>>
>> I was previously with Freedom Scientific, one of the world's biggest
>> manufacturers of software and hardware products for the visually
>> impaired, including the screen reader JAWS for Windows. All in all, I've
>> been in the AT technology industry for 11 years, counting also my
>> student days where I already started working for the German distributor
>> for JAWS back in the mid-90s.
>>
>> As the a11y QA, I'll be responsible for  testing new features and fixes
>> in Firefox and other products from Mozilla, but also I'll be working
>> with the community to get people involved in testing all the cool new
>> features of Firefox 3 and future releases. I won't limit myself to the
>> blindness side of things, but hope to be able to help both developers
>> and users with all kinds of disabilities such as motor impairments, low
>> vision (although I might need some sighted help on that occasionally)
>> and others.
>>
>> I am totally blind from birth and have been using screen readers of
>> various shapes and sizes since 1991, when I got my first DOS-based PC.
>>
>> And in case some of you wonder where you might have seen my name creep
>> up recently: I am already contributing to the Mozilla project on a
>> volunteer/spare time basis currently, have been doing that for 2 months
>> or so.
>>
>> So, let's get rumblin'!
>>
>> Marco

Re: An introduction

Aaron Leventhal-3
Marco, I'm relieved that we now have you -- you have already saved my
life at least 20 times. I don't know how we managed to push Firefox 1.5
and Firefox 2 without highly effective accessibility QA -- we barely
skated by.

Firefox 3 accessibility quality will be a lot higher because of Marco.

- Aaron

Re: An introduction

Jonathan Chetwynd
Marco,

congratulations,

I've already taking this issue up with Judy, TV Raman and Victor at
W3C, Google and Yahoo as well as a few others, so don't take it
personally.

I'm really concerned that Mozilla doesn't yet have anyone on the ally
team representing or even experienced with learning or cognitive
disability.

One in five people in the UK is functionally illiterate. This means
that for instance they cannot find a plumber in the yellow pages.

I already raised this with Aaron a number of times, it's always jam
tomorrow, could you perhaps look into this?

The outcome is that web standards, technologies and hardware can to
some extent accommodate visual disabilities, but as yet offer very
little to this large community, who in general have little if any
earning capacity or disposable income.

The excuse being that they don't have the capacity, knowledge or
ability to contribute.
And it would be too much work in any case....

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd
Accessibility Consultant on Media Literacy and the Internet

On 26 Nov 2007, at 07:21, Marco Zehe wrote:

[...]

nsurkova
Hi, Marco.
I'm glad to join to congratulations. You really do a great work.

Alexander.