An impossible page

Stan Goodman-2
The "Information" page of the local telephone company is at
<http://www.144.bezek.com/>. The page has been redesigned several times over
recent years, with a worse result each time. My guess is that the designer
is a highschool kid who bought a book about HTML, and feels obligated to use
every quirky "enhancement" he discovered in it.

The present incarnation is altogether unusable here, although I must be in a
 small minority, else it would have been fixed months ago. What happens is
that, as the page begins to be displayed, a box comes up telling me that a
file ("1.exe") wants to be downloaded, and asking me what I want to do with
it. What I want to do with it would require the presence of the designer, so
I try Cancelling the download. This causes the page to think it is Done, and
the useful portions for finding telephone numbers never appear. What I am
reasonably sure of is that "1.exe" is not an OS/2 executable.

Can someone see what this file is intended to do? Once I know how he is
(presumably) limiting usage to Windows users, I can begin to raise a stink
at the telephone company.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw grenades
and firebombs, blow up schoolbusses and pizzerias, burn buildings,
decapitate those you can't convince, and in general, exhibit your
narrow-minded bloodthirstiness for all to see -- and tell them you're doing
it for God.

Re: An impossible page

Peter Brown-2
Hi Stan

Stan Goodman wrote:
> The "Information" page of the local telephone company is at
> <http://www.144.bezek.com/>. The page has been redesigned several times over
> recent years, with a worse result each time. My guess is that the designer
> is a highschool kid who bought a book about HTML, and feels obligated to use
> every quirky "enhancement" he discovered in it.

Probably why there are bits overlapping other bits and some bits missing
- using Seamonkey 1.0.2

> The present incarnation is altogether unusable here, although I must be in a
>  small minority, else it would have been fixed months ago. What happens is
> that, as the page begins to be displayed, a box comes up telling me that a
> file ("1.exe") wants to be downloaded, and asking me what I want to do with
> it. What I want to do with it would require the presence of the designer, so
> I try Cancelling the download. This causes the page to think it is Done, and
> the useful portions for finding telephone numbers never appear. What I am
> reasonably sure of is that "1.exe" is not an OS/2 executable.

I have the popup blocker enabled so only got a warning sound about a
blocked popup.

> Can someone see what this file is intended to do? Once I know how he is
> (presumably) limiting usage to Windows users, I can begin to raise a stink
> at the telephone company.

The site has probably been hijacked by some porno merchants or virus
spreaders so the file could be a virus or a "dial up to a porn site at
great cost" dialer application.

OTOH it could be some sort of legit download that windows users need to
access some of the content on the site...

I think I would ask several things about the website at the telephone
company if I had to use it.

Good luck.

Pete

Re: An impossible page

Andy Willis-2
I don't see any problems with the page (other than poor use of frames),
though I can't read what it says.  The links seem to work when I click
on them (page content changes anyway).  As Peter I get a blocked popup,
allowing it yields:
.םייפיצפס תבותכו םש יפל ןופלט ירפסמ רותיאל קרו ךא ודעונ הז רתאבש םינותנה
סיסבו עדימה

,קזבמ ךכל תשרופמ האשרה תלבק אלל ,םירחאל ורכומל וא/ו וריבעהל וא/ו םינותנה
סיסב תא קיתעהל ןיא
וא/ו ןיד יפ לע תרתומ הניאש תרחא ךרד לכב ובש םינותנה סיסבב וא/ו רתאבש
עדימב שמתשהל ןיאו
.מ"עב תרושקתל תילארשיה הרבחה קזב לש םהשלכ םיסרטניאל תדגונמש

ליעל רומאל שמתשמה דצמ המכסה הווהמ הז רתאבש םינותנה סיסבב וא/ו עדימב שומישה
.םאתהב לועפל תוביחתהו

,םירחא םיקזנו םייתימדת ,םייפסכ םיקזנ קזבל םורגת רומאהמ היטס וא/ו רחא
שומיש לכ יכ שגדומ
,רומאכ ףיקע א/ו רישי שומיש השועה לכ דגנכ ,ןיד לכ יפ לע ,לועפל תיאשר היהת
קזבו
הז רתאל תפסונ הסינכמ רומאכ שומיש השועה תמיסח תוברל

No idea what it says.  I do not get a download request at all.  What IP
does it resolve to for you?  Here it is 147.235.252.1.
Andy

P.S.  I just accidently entered the above text from the popup page into
a command prompt and it put a bunch of ??? (which I understand) then
unknown command ??? followed by more ???? ending with ????? ??? (Y/N)?
where I click N because I have no idea what it is trying to do.

Stan Goodman wrote:

> The "Information" page of the local telephone company is at
> <http://www.144.bezek.com/>. The page has been redesigned several times over
> recent years, with a worse result each time. My guess is that the designer
> is a highschool kid who bought a book about HTML, and feels obligated to use
> every quirky "enhancement" he discovered in it.
>
> The present incarnation is altogether unusable here, although I must be in a
>  small minority, else it would have been fixed months ago. What happens is
> that, as the page begins to be displayed, a box comes up telling me that a
> file ("1.exe") wants to be downloaded, and asking me what I want to do with
> it. What I want to do with it would require the presence of the designer, so
> I try Cancelling the download. This causes the page to think it is Done, and
> the useful portions for finding telephone numbers never appear. What I am
> reasonably sure of is that "1.exe" is not an OS/2 executable.
>
> Can someone see what this file is intended to do? Once I know how he is
> (presumably) limiting usage to Windows users, I can begin to raise a stink
> at the telephone company.

Re: An impossible page

Steve Wendt
Stan Goodman wrote:

> The present incarnation is altogether unusable here

It looks very different in M$IE than in Seamonkey, although I'm too lazy
right now to look too closely at why.

> that, as the page begins to be displayed, a box comes up telling me that a
> file ("1.exe") wants to be downloaded,

Like others, I don't see that.

Re: An impossible page

David T. Johnson
Andy Willis wrote:
> I don't see any problems with the page (other than poor use of frames),
> though I can't read what it says.  The links seem to work when I click
> on them (page content changes anyway).  As Peter I get a blocked popup,
> allowing it yields:

The page seems to be okay with SM 1.5a.  Don't have popups blocked and I
get a popup ad which displays okay.  The little java applet for
character entry works okay (the little keyboard icon) and the third link
from the left on the top title bar changes to a new page that plays some
music.  Maybe the OP doesn't have the appropriate DBCS font group
installed properly.  Don't see any file download, nor is there any
apparent embedded link for a file '1.exe.'

Re: An impossible page

Stan Goodman-2
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:34:25 UTC, Peter Brown
<[hidden email]> opined:

> Hi Stan
>
> Stan Goodman wrote:
> > The "Information" page of the local telephone company is at
> > <http://www.144.bezek.com/>. The page has been redesigned several times over
> > recent years, with a worse result each time. My guess is that the designer
> > is a highschool kid who bought a book about HTML, and feels obligated to use
> > every quirky "enhancement" he discovered in it.
>

> Probably why there are bits overlapping other bits and some bits missing
> - using Seamonkey 1.0.2

You mean text (or graphic elements) superimposed on others? I don't see
that. I'm using Firefox v1.5.0.1.

> > The present incarnation is altogether unusable here, although I must be in a
> >  small minority, else it would have been fixed months ago. What happens is
> > that, as the page begins to be displayed, a box comes up telling me that a
> > file ("1.exe") wants to be downloaded, and asking me what I want to do with
> > it. What I want to do with it would require the presence of the designer, so
> > I try Cancelling the download. This causes the page to think it is Done, and
> > the useful portions for finding telephone numbers never appear. What I am
> > reasonably sure of is that "1.exe" is not an OS/2 executable.
>

> I have the popup blocker enabled so only got a warning sound about a
> blocked popup.

I also have popups blocked, but I get no warnings.

> > Can someone see what this file is intended to do? Once I know how he is
> > (presumably) limiting usage to Windows users, I can begin to raise a stink
> > at the telephone company.
> >

> The site has probably been hijacked by some porno merchants or virus
> spreaders so the file could be a virus or a "dial up to a porn site at
> great cost" dialer application.
>
> OTOH it could be some sort of legit download that windows users need to
> access some of the content on the site...
>
> I think I would ask several things about the website at the telephone
> company if I had to use it.
>
> Good luck.

I'll probably need it.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw grenades
and firebombs, blow up schoolbusses and pizzerias, burn buildings,
decapitate those you can't convince, and in general, exhibit your
narrow-minded bloodthirstiness for all to see -- and tell them you're doing
it for God.

Re: An impossible page

Stan Goodman-2
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 23:50:38 UTC, Andy Willis
<[hidden email]> opined:

> I don't see any problems with the page (other than poor use of frames),
> though I can't read what it says.  The links seem to work when I click
> on them (page content changes anyway).  As Peter I get a blocked popup,
> allowing it yields:
> .ìëëöëûöæ ÜüàÜïà ìÖ ëöî Åàöîê ëÿöæÄ ÿàÜëÇî ùÿà èÇ àâÆàÉ äå ÿÜÇüÖ ìëÉàÜÉä
> æëæüà ÆâëÄä
>
> ,ùåüÄ èïî ÜÖÿàöÄ äÇÖÿä Üîüù Çîî ,ìëÿçÇî àÿïàÄî àÇ/à àÿëüÆäî àÇ/à ìëÉàÜÉä
> æëæü ÜÇ ùëÜÆäî ÅëÇ
> àÇ/à Åëâ ëö îÆ ÜÿÜàÄ äÉëÇÖ ÜÿçÇ èÿâ îïü àüÖ ìëÉàÜÉä æëæüü àÇ/à ÿÜÇüÖ
> ÆâëÄü ÖÄÜÖäî ÅëÇà
> .Ä"Æü ÜÿàÖùÜî ÜëîÇÿÖëä äÿüçä ùåü îÖ ìäÖîï ìëæÿêÉëÇî ÜâéàÉÄÖ
>
> îëÆî ÿàÄÇî ÖÄÜÖÄä âûÄ äÄïæä äààäÄ äå ÿÜÇüÖ ìëÉàÜÉä æëæüü àÇ/à ÆâëÄü ÖàÄëÖä
> .ìÇÜäü îàÆöî ÜàüëçÜäà
>
> ,ìëÿçÇ ìëùåÉà ìëëÜëÄâÜ ,ìëëöæï ìëùåÉ ùåüî ìàÿéÜ ÿàÄÇäÄ äëêæ àÇ/à ÿçÇ
> ÖàÄëÖ îï ëï ÖéâàÄ
> ,ÿàÄÇï ôëùÆ Ç/à ÿëÖë ÖàÄëÖ äÖàÆä îï âéÉï ,Åëâ îï ëö îÆ ,îàÆöî ÜëÇÖÿ äëäÜ
> ùåüà
> äå ÿÜÇî ÜöæàÉ äæëÉïÄ ÿàÄÇï ÖàÄëÖ äÖàÆä ÜÄëæç Üàüÿî
>
> No idea what it says.  I do not get a download request at all.  What IP
> does it resolve to for you?  Here it is 147.235.252.1.
> Andy

It's a copyright notice and disclaimer about proper use. I have never seen
that, which shows that Firefox is removing popups. I see the same IP address
(unsurprisingly). If that's all the text that you see, then the page isn't
have a form in which one can fill in the name and location of the sought
subscriber. Other than the popup and the demand for download location, it
sounds like your results are not much different from mine.

> P.S.  I just accidently entered the above text from the popup page into
> a command prompt and it put a bunch of ??? (which I understand) then
> unknown command ??? followed by more ???? ending with ????? ??? (Y/N)?
> where I click N because I have no idea what it is trying to do.

Nor do I. But that's a good sign that you aren't using a Hebrew codepage, in
case there was any doubt in your mind.

Thanks for making the effort.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw grenades
and firebombs, blow up schoolbusses and pizzerias, burn buildings,
decapitate those you can't convince, and in general, exhibit your
narrow-minded bloodthirstiness for all to see -- and tell them you're doing
it for God.

Re: An impossible page

Tom Perrett
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:11:07 -0500, Stan Goodman wrote:

>The "Information" page of the local telephone company is at
><http://www.144.bezek.com/>.

Using Firefox 1.5.0.4 (Weilbacher's build) FF states that
a plug in is needed to properly display the page, what
the plug is, I don't know.

Tom

Re: An impossible page

Andy Willis-2
Stan Goodman wrote:
  > It's a copyright notice and disclaimer about proper use. I have
never seen
> that, which shows that Firefox is removing popups. I see the same IP address
> (unsurprisingly). If that's all the text that you see, then the page isn't
> have a form in which one can fill in the name and location of the sought
> subscriber. Other than the popup and the demand for download location, it
> sounds like your results are not much different from mine.
The page renders fine... the part I pasted was the popup.
Andy

Re: An impossible page

Stan Goodman-2
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:41:30 UTC, "Tom Perrett" <[hidden email]> opined:

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:11:07 -0500, Stan Goodman wrote:
>
> >The "Information" page of the local telephone company is at
> ><http://www.144.bezek.com/>.
>
> Using Firefox 1.5.0.4 (Weilbacher's build) FF states that
> a plug in is needed to properly display the page, what
> the plug is, I don't know.
>
> Tom

Oho!! I never saw anything like that. I'll send a copy to Peter.

Peter, can you tell what is necessary for the above website?

Stan Goodman wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:34:25 UTC, Peter Brown
> <[hidden email]> opined:
>> Hi Stan
>>
>> Stan Goodman wrote:
>>> The "Information" page of the local telephone company is at
>>> <http://www.144.bezek.com/>. The page has been redesigned several times over
>>> recent years, with a worse result each time. My guess is that the designer
>>> is a highschool kid who bought a book about HTML, and feels obligated to use
>>> every quirky "enhancement" he discovered in it.
>>
>> Probably why there are bits overlapping other bits and some bits missing
>> - using Seamonkey 1.0.2
>
> You mean text (or graphic elements) superimposed on others? I don't see
> that. I'm using Firefox v1.5.0.1.

If I can ever get it to load again I'll have another look.

Well, Seamonkey says Done but the section above the Flash bit is blank
and I seem to recall it had something there previously - some sort of
search?

What I did have previously were a lot of little red outline squares
(plural) on the right, over what looks like Menu items on a green
background but this time the square (single) only appears when I put the
mouse over a menu item. Looks like it was a temporary glitch.

I also have the top half of HTTP Error 400 showing to the left of the
Flash bit. This has not changed from previous visit.

The required plugin mentioned in another post is probably something to
do with Flash.

Don't think I would use this site with Seamonkey - If I needed to use
this site I would probably use Win2000/IE running in a VPC; bet it would
work fine.

Regards

Pete

>>> The present incarnation is altogether unusable here, although I must be in a
>>>  small minority, else it would have been fixed months ago. What happens is
>>> that, as the page begins to be displayed, a box comes up telling me that a
>>> file ("1.exe") wants to be downloaded, and asking me what I want to do with
>>> it. What I want to do with it would require the presence of the designer, so
>>> I try Cancelling the download. This causes the page to think it is Done, and
>>> the useful portions for finding telephone numbers never appear. What I am
>>> reasonably sure of is that "1.exe" is not an OS/2 executable.
>>
>> I have the popup blocker enabled so only got a warning sound about a
>> blocked popup.
>
> I also have popups blocked, but I get no warnings.
>
>>> Can someone see what this file is intended to do? Once I know how he is
>>> (presumably) limiting usage to Windows users, I can begin to raise a stink
>>> at the telephone company.
>>>

>> The site has probably been hijacked by some porno merchants or virus
>> spreaders so the file could be a virus or a "dial up to a porn site at
>> great cost" dialer application.
>>
>> OTOH it could be some sort of legit download that windows users need to
>> access some of the content on the site...
>>
>> I think I would ask several things about the website at the telephone
>> company if I had to use it.
>>
>> Good luck.
>
> I'll probably need it.

Re: An impossible page

James Moe
Stan Goodman wrote:
> The "Information" page of the local telephone company is at
> <http://www.144.bezek.com/>. The page has been redesigned several times over
> recent years, with a worse result each time. My guess is that the designer
> is a highschool kid who bought a book about HTML, and feels obligated to use
> every quirky "enhancement" he discovered in it.

  I have loaded the site in SeaMonkey v1.0.2 (aka v1.8.0.4) os/2, PM-Fx
v1.5.0.4 os/2, Firefox v.5.0.3 Windows, Internet Explorer v6.
  None of them asked about a plugin. (Although IE constantly whined about
a missing Hebrew language pack. Couldn't load it because I was not running
as Admin. Why is a language pack a root level install?)

  Yes, the page misuses every hideous feature thought up for a web page:
frames, Flash, popups, frequent page refresh, requiring Javascript for
basic functions, browser sniffing, primitive and antiquated coding,
complete ignorance regarding accessibility. Ugh.
  The site is a complete disaster without Javascript.
  Only SM showed the frame boundaries, a necessity if even Flash is
disabled. None of the other browsers showed the boundaries.

  The only EXE I could find in the code is for the form submission. And it
has a different name: <1st_qry.exe>.

(Remove DESPAMMZ for email)

Re: An impossible page

Stan Goodman-2
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:48:46 UTC, Andy Willis
<[hidden email]> opined:

> Stan Goodman wrote:
>   > It's a copyright notice and disclaimer about proper use. I have
> never seen
> > that, which shows that Firefox is removing popups. I see the same IP address
> > (unsurprisingly). If that's all the text that you see, then the page isn't
> > have a form in which one can fill in the name and location of the sought
> > subscriber. Other than the popup and the demand for download location, it
> > sounds like your results are not much different from mine.
> The page renders fine... the part I pasted was the popup.

Yes, I understood it was the popup; that's what I said at the top of the
paragraph above.

You mean you see entry fields in the area above the Flash thing? On Firefox,
or some other Mozilla browser? That would mean that some extension or
configuration item is screwing mine up.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw grenades
and firebombs, blow up schoolbusses and pizzerias, burn buildings,
decapitate those you can't convince, and in general, exhibit your
narrow-minded bloodthirstiness for all to see -- and tell them you're doing
it for God.

Re: An impossible page

Stan Goodman-2
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:43:31 UTC, Peter Brown
<[hidden email]> opined:

> Hi Stan
>
> Stan Goodman wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:34:25 UTC, Peter Brown
> > <[hidden email]> opined:
> >> Hi Stan

> >> Probably why there are bits overlapping other bits and some bits missing
> >> - using Seamonkey 1.0.2
> >
> > You mean text (or graphic elements) superimposed on others? I don't see
> > that. I'm using Firefox v1.5.0.1.
>

> If I can ever get it to load again I'll have another look.
>
> Well, Seamonkey says Done but the section above the Flash bit is blank
> and I seem to recall it had something there previously - some sort of
> search?

Right. Except for the d/l demand, that is what I see here. The window above
the Flash element should contain a set of entry fields, in which one would
write the name, address, town, region of the subscriber whose number is
being sought. There should also be a "virtual keyboard" to enable use by
users that don't have a Hebrew keyboard installed (e.g. people abroad). I
see a blank area, as you do.

> What I did have previously were a lot of little red outline squares
> (plural) on the right, over what looks like Menu items on a green
> background but this time the square (single) only appears when I put the
> mouse over a menu item. Looks like it was a temporary glitch.

That is a menu for other telephone direcories, e.g. Government offices. The
top item, which is also the default, is the one that contains both
residential and business subscribers.

> I also have the top half of HTTP Error 400 showing to the left of the
> Flash bit. This has not changed from previous visit.

I have never seek an error report on this site, which used to work very well
until they "improved" it. If they don't unimprove it, I may consider going
back to a heap of paper directories.

> The required plugin mentioned in another post is probably something to
> do with Flash.

The Flash thing works, even now, although I couldn't care less. It's
advertising stuff.

> Don't think I would use this site with Seamonkey - If I needed to use
> this site I would probably use Win2000/IE running in a VPC; bet it would
> work fine.

That may be the way to go, although Andy says that he gets it to load
properly. But I just now tried it with Opera v5.12. It loads without
complaint and without trying to palm a download off on me. But (although I
set Hebrew as the default language for websites), the text elements are in
Latin characters with diacritic marks. Apparently it needs to be pointed at
a Unicode font that supports Hebrew, which is no problem, except that I
don't see a place to specify fonts. Where does this beast (which I don't
really like) keep its font list? I certainly wouldn't mind keeping Opera
handy for telephone lookups.

It also dawns on me that one difference between me on one hand and Andy and
you on the other is that you both see the popup. Maybe that's the key. Maybe
one is allowed to use the directory only after suffering the stupid popup
which is, after all, the copyright notice and a bunch of disclaimers. I'll
try that.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw grenades
and firebombs, blow up schoolbusses and pizzerias, burn buildings,
decapitate those you can't convince, and in general, exhibit your
narrow-minded bloodthirstiness for all to see -- and tell them you're doing
it for God.

Re: An impossible page

steve53
In <uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-od3RhT7bCdwh@poblano>, on 07/11/2006
   at 02:52 PM, "Stan Goodman" <[hidden email]> said:

>That is a menu for other telephone direcories, e.g. Government offices.
>The  top item, which is also the default, is the one that contains both
>residential and business subscribers.

This is what I see with SM 1.0.2

 http://home.earthlink.net/~steve53/files/bezek.png

All the animations and buttons seem to work correctly.  My ability to read
Hebrew is gone, so I can't do anything useful with the site.

Regards,

Steven

Re: An impossible page

Stan Goodman-2
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:07:51 UTC, [hidden email] opined:

> In <uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-od3RhT7bCdwh@poblano>, on 07/11/2006
>    at 02:52 PM, "Stan Goodman" <[hidden email]> said:
>

> >That is a menu for other telephone direcories, e.g. Government offices.
> >The  top item, which is also the default, is the one that contains both
> >residential and business subscribers.
>
> This is what I see with SM 1.0.2
>
>  http://home.earthlink.net/~steve53/files/bezek.png
>
> All the animations and buttons seem to work correctly.  My ability to read
> Hebrew is gone, so I can't do anything useful with the site.

That is indeed how it should look. I suppose then that some extension or
configuration setting is fouling me up. Rooting through all the
possibilities is a daunting task. I'll think about what I want to do about
it.. Thanks.

Stan Goodman wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:48:46 UTC, Andy Willis
> <[hidden email]> opined:
>> Stan Goodman wrote:
>>   > It's a copyright notice and disclaimer about proper use. I have
>> never seen
>>> that, which shows that Firefox is removing popups. I see the same IP address
>>> (unsurprisingly). If that's all the text that you see, then the page isn't
>>> have a form in which one can fill in the name and location of the sought
>>> subscriber. Other than the popup and the demand for download location, it
>>> sounds like your results are not much different from mine.
>> The page renders fine... the part I pasted was the popup.
>
> Yes, I understood it was the popup; that's what I said at the top of the
> paragraph above.
>
> You mean you see entry fields in the area above the Flash thing? On Firefox,
> or some other Mozilla browser? That would mean that some extension or
> configuration item is screwing mine up.

Yes I can see and enter stuff into the fields in the area above the
Flash thing.  I am using a Seamonkey build I built on the 9th from Trunk.
Andy

Re: An impossible page

James Moe
Stan Goodman wrote:

> That is a menu for other telephone direcories, e.g. Government offices. The
> top item, which is also the default, is the one that contains both
> residential and business subscribers.

  Following Steve's example, here is what I get:
<http://twosohnens.us/test/bezek.html>.
  The second image is my normal profile with Flashblock installed. The
upper portion does not look correct until I actually run the little Flash
image; then things rearrange themselves, third image.

(Remove DESPAMMZ for email)

Re: An impossible page

steve53
In <uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-mZb4pu1Hh6wh@poblano>, on 07/11/2006
   at 06:28 PM, "Stan Goodman" <[hidden email]> said:

>That is indeed how it should look. I suppose then that some extension or
>configuration setting is fouling me up. Rooting through all the
>possibilities is a daunting task. I'll think about what I want to do
>about  it.. Thanks.

The obvious, to me, first thing is a fresh profile.

There's nothing particularly special about my setup.  The profile is
ancient so it's cluttered to say the least.  I run the r61 Flash and and a
tweaked Java 1.4.2.

Regards,

Steven

Re: An impossible page

Stan Goodman-2
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 01:33:15 UTC, James Moe
<[hidden email]> opined:

> Stan Goodman wrote:
> >
> > That is a menu for other telephone direcories, e.g. Government offices. The
> > top item, which is also the default, is the one that contains both
> > residential and business subscribers.
> >
>   Following Steve's example, here is what I get:
> <http://twosohnens.us/test/bezek.html>.
>   The second image is my normal profile with Flashblock installed. The
> upper portion does not look correct until I actually run the little Flash
> image; then things rearrange themselves, third image.

The only difference I see between (1) and (2) is that (1) lacks the menu
bar. I have never seen this. My problem is that I don't see the entry fields
anymore, and I begin to understand that there must be an extension conflict
or some misconfiguration that causes this. The only difference I see between
(2) and (3) is the Flash element, which is of no consequence; it is salesman
talk.

My optimism about Opera, BTW, was  misplaced. Opera v5.12 (which is what
Opera/2 is) displays a list of available languages, including Hebrew,
Arabic, and Russian, many of which are not in fact available at all. I've
been assured on an Opera forum that display of non-Latin scripts is
"difficult, perhaps impossible". Talk about "salesman talk".

Thanks to everyone for the interest.