Am I An Outlier, Or Are Apple Products No Longer Easy To Use?

1234 ... 15

Am I An Outlier, Or Are Apple Products No Longer Easy To Use?

Sailfish-2
REF:
http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php

[excerpt quote="
I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
decisions.  Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
" /]

tl;dr*

* unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Am I An Outlier, Or Are Apple Products No Longer Easy To Use?

Ron Hunter
On 9/14/2012 1:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>

> [excerpt quote="
> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
> decisions.  Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
> " /]
>
> tl;dr*
>
> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial

Some people just make mountains of molehills.  I couple of hours (at
most) work will fix his problem.  He just doesn't want to have to do the
work.

Re: Am I An Outlier, Or Are Apple Products No Longer Easy To Use?

Sailfish-2
9/15/2012 12:25 AM:

> On 9/14/2012 1:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
>> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
>> decisions.  Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
>> " /]
>>
>> tl;dr*
>>
>> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial
>>
> Some people just make mountains of molehills.  I couple of hours (at
> most) work will fix his problem.  He just doesn't want to have to do the
> work.

But, that's his point, I think. In the past, Apple products never used
to exhibit these type of gr0wing pains which was part of their allure.
What he's basically saying is that Apple stuff is now down there in the
muck like the rest of the PC muck.

On 9/15/2012 10:06 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 9/15/2012 12:25 AM:
>> On 9/14/2012 1:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
>>> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
>>> decisions.  Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> tl;dr*
>>>
>>> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial
>>>
>> Some people just make mountains of molehills.  I couple of hours (at
>> most) work will fix his problem.  He just doesn't want to have to do
>> the work.
>>
> But, that's his point, I think. In the past, Apple products never used
> to exhibit these type of gr0wing pains which was part of their allure.
> What he's basically saying is that Apple stuff is now down there in the
> muck like the rest of the PC muck.

I don't believe that no Apple product ever had a corruption problem
until lately. Remember the infinite number of monkeys on the typewriters
analogy?
It applies to users and their computing devices.
I can point to a small 'inelegance' in the way my iPhone handles address
data during cut an paste.  Maybe they will fix it in IOS 6, or maybe
not.  I don't take that as a reason to accuse them of 'being down in the
muck.

Re: Am I An Outlier, Or Are Apple Products No Longer Easy To Use?

Was Greywolf
On 14/09/2012 2:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>

> [excerpt quote="
> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
> decisions. Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
> " /]
>
> tl;dr*
>
> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial

No. I sit on the board of not-for-profit organisation. We've just
received iPads, partly because the cost of providing the paper documents
for board meetings was becoming too costly; and partly in order to
address privacy concerns by ensuring that board-related business would
be handle by the organisation's intra-net (accessed via a VPN). It's a
neat device, but it's not exactly what I want. Eg, I'd rather have an
Undo/Revert/Back button in the app itself instead of the Tap gesture. I
don't like the way an app takes over the whole screen - I want two or
more apps open, in windows, and I want to be able to switch between them
(by touching a corner of the window, say). Etc

I'd better not explain too much, or Apple will rip off my design  ideas,
on which I hereby assert Prior Art. ROTFLMAO!

I'll use the thing, of course, but only for Board business.

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Re: Am I An Outlier, Or Are Apple Products No Longer Easy To Use?

Ed Mullen-6
Was Greywolf wrote:

> On 14/09/2012 2:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
>> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
>> decisions. Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
>> " /]
>>
>> tl;dr*
>>
>> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial
>>

> No. I sit on the board of not-for-profit organisation. We've just
> received iPads, partly because the cost of providing the paper documents
> for board meetings was becoming too costly; and partly in order to
> address privacy concerns by ensuring that board-related business would
> be handle by the organisation's intra-net (accessed via a VPN). It's a
> neat device, but it's not exactly what I want. Eg, I'd rather have an
> Undo/Revert/Back button in the app itself instead of the Tap gesture. I
> don't like the way an app takes over the whole screen - I want two or
> more apps open, in windows, and I want to be able to switch between them
> (by touching a corner of the window, say). Etc
>
> I'd better not explain too much, or Apple will rip off my design  ideas,
> on which I hereby assert Prior Art. ROTFLMAO!
>
> I'll use the thing, of course, but only for Board business.

Yeah, but then you could sue them!!! :-D

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Am I An Outlier, Or Are Apple Products No Longer Easy To Use?

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Was Greywolf graced us with on
9/15/2012 2:46 PM:

> On 14/09/2012 2:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
>> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
>> decisions. Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
>> " /]
>>
>> tl;dr*
>>
>> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial
>
> No. I sit on the board of not-for-profit organisation. We've just
> received iPads, partly because the cost of providing the paper documents
> for board meetings was becoming too costly; and partly in order to
> address privacy concerns by ensuring that board-related business would
> be handle by the organisation's intra-net (accessed via a VPN). It's a
> neat device, but it's not exactly what I want. Eg, I'd rather have an
> Undo/Revert/Back button in the app itself instead of the Tap gesture. I
> don't like the way an app takes over the whole screen - I want two or
> more apps open, in windows, and I want to be able to switch between them
> (by touching a corner of the window, say). Etc

Yeah, as I've already stated previously, if I were to be in the market
for a full-featured tablet (i.e., not a Kindle), I'd go with the iPad.
Why? Because if I'm going to pay almost the same price as the others,
I'd be dumb not to get the best designed.

Once the processors get hefty enough, my guess is that they'll start
providing multi-processing, multi-tasking, multi-threading capabilities.
They'll need a bigger screen, too, but I suspect a HDMI port would be a
usable workaround.

> I'd better not explain too much, or Apple will rip off my design  ideas,
> on which I hereby assert Prior Art. ROTFLMAO!

FLAME BAIT! ;)

Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Was Greywolf graced us with on
> 9/15/2012 2:46 PM:
>> On 14/09/2012 2:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
>>> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
>>> decisions. Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> tl;dr*
>>>
>>> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial
>>
>> No. I sit on the board of not-for-profit organisation. We've just
>> received iPads, partly because the cost of providing the paper
>> documents for board meetings was becoming too costly; and partly in
>> order to address privacy concerns by ensuring that board-related
>> business would be handle by the organisation's intra-net (accessed via
>> a VPN). It's a neat device, but it's not exactly what I want. Eg, I'd
>> rather have an Undo/Revert/Back button in the app itself instead of
>> the Tap gesture. I don't like the way an app takes over the whole
>> screen - I want two or more apps open, in windows, and I want to be
>> able to switch between them (by touching a corner of the window, say).
>> Etc
>>
> Yeah, as I've already stated previously, if I were to be in the market
> for a full-featured tablet (i.e., not a Kindle), I'd go with the iPad.
> Why? Because if I'm going to pay almost the same price as the others,
> I'd be dumb not to get the best designed.
>
> Once the processors get hefty enough, my guess is that they'll start
> providing multi-processing, multi-tasking, multi-threading capabilities.
> They'll need a bigger screen, too, but I suspect a HDMI port would be a
> usable workaround.

Right.  And then you'll have ... a netbook.

Or even a laptop.

And then we'll be ... well, back where we started.

Designers will take into consideration form factors and usability
issues.  And, at some point, the existence of the limitations of the
human configuration to limit product design.  Or, well, we'll get the
Apple Stick, the I-Phone that is 24" long dangling from a goofy belt
pack that dips to our knees.  But, no worries, we'll have an implant in
our heads and can blink our eyes to select icons and do "stuff."  Sigh.

Heck, we've already got:

http://www.mobidroid.com/products/dildroid

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

On 9/15/2012 4:46 PM, Was Greywolf wrote:

> On 14/09/2012 2:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
>> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
>> decisions. Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
>> " /]
>>
>> tl;dr*
>>
>> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial
>>

> No. I sit on the board of not-for-profit organisation. We've just
> received iPads, partly because the cost of providing the paper documents
> for board meetings was becoming too costly; and partly in order to
> address privacy concerns by ensuring that board-related business would
> be handle by the organisation's intra-net (accessed via a VPN). It's a
> neat device, but it's not exactly what I want. Eg, I'd rather have an
> Undo/Revert/Back button in the app itself instead of the Tap gesture. I
> don't like the way an app takes over the whole screen - I want two or
> more apps open, in windows, and I want to be able to switch between them
> (by touching a corner of the window, say). Etc
>
> I'd better not explain too much, or Apple will rip off my design  ideas,
> on which I hereby assert Prior Art. ROTFLMAO!
>
> I'll use the thing, of course, but only for Board business.

IOS is not a real multi-tasking operation, by design.  It also lacks a
file system as such.

Re: Am I An Outlier, Or Are Apple Products No Longer Easy To Use?

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Ed Mullen graced us with on
9/15/2012 6:08 PM:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Was Greywolf graced us with on

>>> No. I sit on the board of not-for-profit organisation. We've just
>>> received iPads, partly because the cost of providing the paper
>>> documents for board meetings was becoming too costly; and partly in
>>> order to address privacy concerns by ensuring that board-related
>>> business would be handle by the organisation's intra-net (accessed via
>>> a VPN). It's a neat device, but it's not exactly what I want. Eg, I'd
>>> rather have an Undo/Revert/Back button in the app itself instead of
>>> the Tap gesture. I don't like the way an app takes over the whole
>>> screen - I want two or more apps open, in windows, and I want to be
>>> able to switch between them (by touching a corner of the window, say).
>>> Etc
>>>
>> Yeah, as I've already stated previously, if I were to be in the market
>> for a full-featured tablet (i.e., not a Kindle), I'd go with the iPad.
>> Why? Because if I'm going to pay almost the same price as the others,
>> I'd be dumb not to get the best designed.
>>
>> Once the processors get hefty enough, my guess is that they'll start
>> providing multi-processing, multi-tasking, multi-threading capabilities.
>> They'll need a bigger screen, too, but I suspect a HDMI port would be a
>> usable workaround.
>
> Right.  And then you'll have ... a netbook.
>
> Or even a laptop.
>
> And then we'll be ... well, back where we started.
>
> Designers will take into consideration form factors and usability
> issues.  And, at some point, the existence of the limitations of the
> human configuration to limit product design.  Or, well, we'll get the
> Apple Stick, the I-Phone that is 24" long dangling from a goofy belt
> pack that dips to our knees.  But, no worries, we'll have an implant in
> our heads and can blink our eyes to select icons and do "stuff."  Sigh.
>
> Heck, we've already got:
>
> http://www.mobidroid.com/products/dildroid

b'whAAAA!

Now, that's what I call mozilla-related!

On 15/09/2012 9:18 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
I wrote:

>> No. I sit on the board of not-for-profit organisation. We've just
>> received iPads, partly because the cost of providing the paper documents
>> for board meetings was becoming too costly; and partly in order to
>> address privacy concerns by ensuring that board-related business would
>> be handle by the organisation's intra-net (accessed via a VPN). It's a
>> neat device, but it's not exactly what I want. Eg, I'd rather have an
>> Undo/Revert/Back button in the app itself instead of the Tap gesture. I
>> don't like the way an app takes over the whole screen - I want two or
>> more apps open, in windows, and I want to be able to switch between them
>> (by touching a corner of the window, say). Etc
>>
>> I'd better not explain too much, or Apple will rip off my design  ideas,
>> on which I hereby assert Prior Art. ROTFLMAO!
>>
>> I'll use the thing, of course, but only for Board business.
>>
> IOS is not a real multi-tasking operation, by design.  It also lacks a
> file system as such.

Interesting, didn't really understand that. I suspect there's a pretty
long "upgrade" path ahead of iPad owners as these SOP features are
added. And every step will cost several hundred dollars. That
Apple-munchers don't realise their upgrades are really catch-ups
indicates  they really don't know from nuthin'.

Sigh.

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Re: Am I An Outlier, Or Are Apple Products No Longer Easy To Use?

Was Greywolf
On 14/09/2012 2:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>

> [excerpt quote="
> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
> decisions. Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
> " /]
>
> tl;dr*
>
> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial

I read the article, and at first I was astonished. Then I realised it's
just Apple's way of ensuring its customers need "upgrades". ROTFLMAO.

--
Best,
Wolf K.

On 9/16/2012 10:27 AM, Was Greywolf wrote:

> On 14/09/2012 2:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
>> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
>> decisions. Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
>> " /]
>>
>> tl;dr*
>>
>> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial
>>

> I read the article, and at first I was astonished. Then I realised it's
> just Apple's way of ensuring its customers need "upgrades". ROTFLMAO.

They are in business to make money, and they do a very good job of that.
  Expecting anything else is not recognizing the nature of capitalism.

On 9/16/2012 10:21 AM, Was Greywolf wrote:

> On 15/09/2012 9:18 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> I wrote:
>>> No. I sit on the board of not-for-profit organisation. We've just
>>> received iPads, partly because the cost of providing the paper documents
>>> for board meetings was becoming too costly; and partly in order to
>>> address privacy concerns by ensuring that board-related business would
>>> be handle by the organisation's intra-net (accessed via a VPN). It's a
>>> neat device, but it's not exactly what I want. Eg, I'd rather have an
>>> Undo/Revert/Back button in the app itself instead of the Tap gesture. I
>>> don't like the way an app takes over the whole screen - I want two or
>>> more apps open, in windows, and I want to be able to switch between them
>>> (by touching a corner of the window, say). Etc
>>>
>>> I'd better not explain too much, or Apple will rip off my design  ideas,
>>> on which I hereby assert Prior Art. ROTFLMAO!
>>>
>>> I'll use the thing, of course, but only for Board business.
>>>
>> IOS is not a real multi-tasking operation, by design.  It also lacks a
>> file system as such.
>
> Interesting, didn't really understand that. I suspect there's a pretty
> long "upgrade" path ahead of iPad owners as these SOP features are
> added. And every step will cost several hundred dollars. That
> Apple-munchers don't realise their upgrades are really catch-ups
> indicates  they really don't know from nuthin'.
>
> Sigh.

Or perhaps it is a matter of personal preference.  I buy what I
want/need, and I have the technical knowledge to appreciate the
limitations of what I buy.  I don't have a tablet because I really
couldn't make best use of a tablet.  Sure, it would be convenient for my
main 'at home' use of the laptop, but for half the price I can have a
laptop with a 250GB HD, and USB interfaces, and a real keyboard.
For a pocket device, the iPhone serves much better than anything else
currently available.  When/if the iPad Mini becomes available, it might
blur the boundaries, especially if I can get it in my pants pocket.

On 16/09/2012 11:54 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 9/16/2012 10:27 AM, Was Greywolf wrote:
>> On 14/09/2012 2:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
>>> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
>>> decisions. Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> tl;dr*
>>>
>>> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial
>>>

>> I read the article, and at first I was astonished. Then I realised it's
>> just Apple's way of ensuring its customers need "upgrades". ROTFLMAO.
>>

> They are in business to make money, and they do a very good job of that.
> Expecting anything else is not recognizing the nature of capitalism.

Actually, the technical term for this mode of economic activity is
"mercantilism."

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Re: Am I An Outlier, Or Are Apple Products No Longer Easy To Use?

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Was Greywolf graced us with on
9/16/2012 8:27 AM:

> On 14/09/2012 2:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
>> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
>> decisions. Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
>> " /]
>>
>> tl;dr*
>>
>> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial
>
> I read the article, and at first I was astonished. Then I realised it's
> just Apple's way of ensuring its customers need "upgrades". ROTFLMAO.

heh, I will give this to them, the out-of-pocket cost for their upgrades
is really quite painless.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Am I An Outlier, Or Are Apple Products No Longer Easy To Use?

Sailfish-2
9/16/2012 8:54 AM:

> On 9/16/2012 10:27 AM, Was Greywolf wrote:
>> On 14/09/2012 2:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
>>> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
>>> decisions. Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> tl;dr*
>>>
>>> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial
>>>

>> I read the article, and at first I was astonished. Then I realised it's
>> just Apple's way of ensuring its customers need "upgrades". ROTFLMAO.
>>

> They are in business to make money, and they do a very good job of that.
>  Expecting anything else is not recognizing the nature of capitalism.

Their really the 21st century version of a Robber Barron, imo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robber_baron_(industrialist)

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Am I An Outlier, Or Are Apple Products No Longer Easy To Use?

The Real Bev
On 09/16/2012 08:58 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> Or perhaps it is a matter of personal preference.  I buy what I
> want/need, and I have the technical knowledge to appreciate the
> limitations of what I buy.  I don't have a tablet because I really
> couldn't make best use of a tablet.  Sure, it would be convenient for my
> main 'at home' use of the laptop, but for half the price I can have a
> laptop with a 250GB HD, and USB interfaces, and a real keyboard.
> For a pocket device, the iPhone serves much better than anything else
> currently available.  When/if the iPad Mini becomes available, it might
> blur the boundaries, especially if I can get it in my pants pocket.

I know what I DON'T want in a tablet -- the Viewsonic G-Tablet.  I've
used it very little and it's needed a factory reset twice now,
destroying all downloaded apps and all configuration, so I'm invoking
the Chase warranty extension and either getting it repaired or replaced
or SOMETHING.  I want a 10';  7" is way too small for any practical use
such as READING.

I need a real keyboard (available aftermarket as USB/bluetooth
keyboard/cover/), my fingers are too fat/clumsy to deal with virtual
ones. I want a non-destructive arrow key in addition to the backspace
key. I want REAL android so I'm not limited to what a manufacturer
thinks I should have.  I want the hardware buttons and 110V connection
to be reasonably compatible and I want the buttons to be VISIBLE in a
dark room;  I finally put some reflective tape by them so I could find
them when I needed them. I want an extra card slot so I can load photos
directly from my sd or microsd card.  And lightweight would be nice.

Good graphics, fast processor, etc., go without saying;  it's the
interface that causes the most problems.

--
Cheers, Bev

On 9/16/2012 2:47 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Was Greywolf graced us with on
> 9/16/2012 8:27 AM:
>> On 14/09/2012 2:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> I am certain this post will elicit all manner of Apple fanboys who claim
>>> I’m a moron, that I’ve brought upon my own demise through stupid
>>> decisions. Well, let’s review a few, and you can judge for yourself.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> tl;dr*
>>>
>>> * unless you're a defensive fanboy-in-denial
>>
>> I read the article, and at first I was astonished. Then I realised
>> it's just Apple's way of ensuring its customers need "upgrades".
>> ROTFLMAO.
>>
> heh, I will give this to them, the out-of-pocket cost for their upgrades
> is really quite painless.

Yes, IOS free, and the others in the $20-30 range.  MS could take a page
from that book!

On 9/16/2012 2:50 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 9/16/2012 8:54 AM:

>>> I read the article, and at first I was astonished. Then I realised it's
>>> just Apple's way of ensuring its customers need "upgrades". ROTFLMAO.
>>>

>> They are in business to make money, and they do a very good job of
>> that.  Expecting anything else is not recognizing the nature of
>> capitalism.
>>
> Their really the 21st century version of a Robber Barron, imo:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robber_baron_(industrialist)

Do you prefer socialism, or communism?  Note that both require a
completely autocratic government in order to force people to give up
their goods and services to those who won't, or can't, produce anything.

1234 ... 15