Alternatives to Windows Explorer

P D Sterling
I am reading a book on how to be a computer whiz, and it mentions
alternatives to Windows Explorer. I didn't know Bill Gates allowed such
to exist! Does Mozilla have anything like this now or in development?
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

P D Sterling
New York, Texas & Texas, New York

Re: Alternatives to Windows Explorer

Moz Champion (Dan)
P D Sterling wrote:
> I am reading a book on how to be a computer whiz, and it mentions
> alternatives to Windows Explorer. I didn't know Bill Gates allowed such
> to exist! Does Mozilla have anything like this now or in development?
> Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Here is a page which explains 'Windows Explorer' for you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer

note at the bottom of the article

While Windows Explorer natively exposes the extensibility points as COM
interfaces, .NET Framework can also be used to write extensions, using
the COM interop functionality of .NET Framework.[4] While Microsoft
itself makes available extensions - such as the Photo Info tool[5] -
which are authored using .NET Framework, they currently recommend
against writing managed shell extensions, as only one instance of the
CLR can be loaded per-process. This behavior would cause conflicts if
multiple managed add-ins, targeting different versions of the CLR, are
attempted to be run simultaneously.[6][7]

Typical Microsoft: Yes you can, but don't. Do as we say, not as we do.
Mozilla does not have a Windows GUI in the works (other than its
Firefox/other products frontends of course)

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> P D Sterling wrote:
>> I am reading a book on how to be a computer whiz, and it mentions
>> alternatives to Windows Explorer. I didn't know Bill Gates allowed
>> such to exist! Does Mozilla have anything like this now or in
>> development? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
>

> Here is a page which explains 'Windows Explorer' for you
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer
>
> note at the bottom of the article
>
> While Windows Explorer natively exposes the extensibility points as COM
> interfaces, .NET Framework can also be used to write extensions, using
> the COM interop functionality of .NET Framework.[4] While Microsoft
> itself makes available extensions - such as the Photo Info tool[5] -
> which are authored using .NET Framework, they currently recommend
> against writing managed shell extensions, as only one instance of the
> CLR can be loaded per-process. This behavior would cause conflicts if
> multiple managed add-ins, targeting different versions of the CLR, are
> attempted to be run simultaneously.[6][7]
>
> Typical Microsoft: Yes you can, but don't. Do as we say, not as we do.
> Mozilla does not have a Windows GUI in the works (other than its
> Firefox/other products frontends of course)

Thanx - I think! Maybe I wasn't clear that I am LEARNING to become a
computer whiz, but I have developed an antipathy to microsoft in
general, and that's how I came to use Firefox and Thunderbird. Oddly,
one of the IT boys at work had never heard of either (!)

Actually, I find a lot of their products to be incredibly condescending,
putting animated puppies into my work, etc, but have learned how to turn
almost all that mess OFF and work in peace.

Thanx for the tips!

P D Sterling
New York, Texas & Texas, New York

Re: Alternatives to Windows Explorer

The Real Bev
P D Sterling wrote:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> P D Sterling wrote:
>>> I am reading a book on how to be a computer whiz, and it mentions
>>> alternatives to Windows Explorer. I didn't know Bill Gates allowed
>>> such to exist! Does Mozilla have anything like this now or in
>>> development? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
>>

>> Here is a page which explains 'Windows Explorer' for you
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer
>>
>> note at the bottom of the article
>>
>> While Windows Explorer natively exposes the extensibility points as COM
>> interfaces, .NET Framework can also be used to write extensions, using
>> the COM interop functionality of .NET Framework.[4] While Microsoft
>> itself makes available extensions - such as the Photo Info tool[5] -
>> which are authored using .NET Framework, they currently recommend
>> against writing managed shell extensions, as only one instance of the
>> CLR can be loaded per-process. This behavior would cause conflicts if
>> multiple managed add-ins, targeting different versions of the CLR, are
>> attempted to be run simultaneously.[6][7]
>>
>> Typical Microsoft: Yes you can, but don't. Do as we say, not as we do.
>> Mozilla does not have a Windows GUI in the works (other than its
>> Firefox/other products frontends of course)
>
> Thanx - I think! Maybe I wasn't clear that I am LEARNING to become a
> computer whiz, but I have developed an antipathy to microsoft in
> general,

Have you considered playing with linux?  It's entirely possible to
indulge your antipathy without too much pain :-)  KDE comes with a
browser that can also browse your system.  A little clunkier than WE,
but it works.

> and that's how I came to use Firefox and Thunderbird. Oddly,
> one of the IT boys at work had never heard of either (!)

<sigh>  "One day I shall be an IT MAN."

> Actually, I find a lot of their products to be incredibly condescending,
> putting animated puppies into my work, etc, but have learned how to turn
> almost all that mess OFF and work in peace.
>
> Thanx for the tips!

Re: Alternatives to Windows Explorer

Miles-4
* P D Sterling wrote, On 6/26/2008 05:03:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> P D Sterling wrote:
>>> I am reading a book on how to be a computer whiz, and it mentions
>>> alternatives to Windows Explorer. I didn't know Bill Gates allowed
>>> such to exist! Does Mozilla have anything like this now or in
>>> development? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
>>
>> Here is a page which explains 'Windows Explorer' for you
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer
>>
>> note at the bottom of the article
>>
>> While Windows Explorer natively exposes the extensibility points as COM
>> interfaces, .NET Framework can also be used to write extensions, using
>> the COM interop functionality of .NET Framework.[4] While Microsoft
>> itself makes available extensions - such as the Photo Info tool[5] -
>> which are authored using .NET Framework, they currently recommend
>> against writing managed shell extensions, as only one instance of the
>> CLR can be loaded per-process. This behavior would cause conflicts if
>> multiple managed add-ins, targeting different versions of the CLR, are
>> attempted to be run simultaneously.[6][7]
>>
>> Typical Microsoft: Yes you can, but don't. Do as we say, not as we do.
>> Mozilla does not have a Windows GUI in the works (other than its
>> Firefox/other products frontends of course)
>
> Thanx - I think! Maybe I wasn't clear that I am LEARNING to become a
> computer whiz, but I have developed an antipathy to microsoft in
> general, and that's how I came to use Firefox and Thunderbird. Oddly,
> one of the IT boys at work had never heard of either (!)
>
> Actually, I find a lot of their products to be incredibly condescending,
> putting animated puppies into my work, etc, but have learned how to turn
> almost all that mess OFF and work in peace.
>
> Thanx for the tips!

Animated puppies?   You must be using an old outdated version of
Windows.  If you are looking for a better windows explorer try googling
for windows explorer free replacement.   There are many; for instance,
check out

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2008/04/11/xplorer-lite-free-windows-explorer-replacement/

http://zabkat.com/x2lite.htm

Re: Alternatives to Windows Explorer

user-41
If you want a very good alterative (even better)to Windows Explorer
follow this link http://www.speedproject.de/enu/download.html
it's a Norton Commander based file handling program.

But it has a lot more, like ftp, file viewers, editing with syntax
highlighting for a lot of languages. You can test it for 60 days
after that you have to pay a small amount.

The only bad thing about it, there isn't a Linux version.

Just download verion 12.21 and try it for a few days and you'll
know what I mean.

Good Luck

> * P D Sterling wrote, On 6/26/2008 05:03:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is a page which explains 'Windows Explorer' for you
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer
>>>
>>> note at the bottom of the article
>>>
>>> While Windows Explorer natively exposes the extensibility points as
>>> COM interfaces, .NET Framework can also be used to write extensions,
>>> using the COM interop functionality of .NET Framework.[4] While
>>> Microsoft itself makes available extensions - such as the Photo Info
>>> tool[5] - which are authored using .NET Framework, they currently
>>> recommend against writing managed shell extensions, as only one
>>> instance of the CLR can be loaded per-process. This behavior would
>>> cause conflicts if multiple managed add-ins, targeting different
>>> versions of the CLR, are attempted to be run simultaneously.[6][7]
>>>
>>> Typical Microsoft: Yes you can, but don't. Do as we say, not as we do.
>>> Mozilla does not have a Windows GUI in the works (other than its
>>> Firefox/other products frontends of course)
>>
>> Thanx - I think! Maybe I wasn't clear that I am LEARNING to become a
>> computer whiz, but I have developed an antipathy to microsoft in
>> general, and that's how I came to use Firefox and Thunderbird. Oddly,
>> one of the IT boys at work had never heard of either (!)
>>
>> Actually, I find a lot of their products to be incredibly
>> condescending, putting animated puppies into my work, etc, but have
>> learned how to turn almost all that mess OFF and work in peace.
>>
>> Thanx for the tips!
>>

> Animated puppies?   You must be using an old outdated version of
> Windows.  If you are looking for a better windows explorer try googling
> for windows explorer free replacement.   There are many; for instance,
> check out
>
> http://www.nirmaltv.com/2008/04/11/xplorer-lite-free-windows-explorer-replacement/
>

> http://zabkat.com/x2lite.htm

Re: Alternatives to Windows Explorer

ovidiu grigorescu
[hidden email] wrote:

> If you want a very good alterative (even better)to Windows Explorer
> follow this link http://www.speedproject.de/enu/download.html
> it's a Norton Commander based file handling program.
>
> But it has a lot more, like ftp, file viewers, editing with syntax
> highlighting for a lot of languages. You can test it for 60 days
> after that you have to pay a small amount.
>
> The only bad thing about it, there isn't a Linux version.
>
> Just download verion 12.21 and try it for a few days and you'll
> know what I mean.
or Total Commander
http://www.ghisler.com/index.htm
in the same manner, even with some addons

Re: Alternatives to Windows Explorer

Andreas M-2
Let's not forget about Directory Opus, which integrates into Explorer
(you always need to run explorer.exe). http://www.gpsoft.com.au
It's got a price, but it's got a lot of power, too.

Only problem is that the author does not do enough about VFS, which is
why I stopped updating it. The only archives you can dive into are ZIP
and RAR.

--
Bye,
Andreas M.