Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

1234 ... 12

Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

Sailfish-2
REF:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9227490/Aged_Windows_XP_costs_5x_more_to_manage_than_Windows_7

[excerpt quote="
Smaller firms that buy Windows licenses at retail, likely in the form of
a new PC, can also downgrade from Windows 8 to 7, but only if the new
system is pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro, the higher-end edition. They
will also need media -- a DVD or flash drive -- containing Windows 7
Professional to complete the downgrade. If smaller shops wait too long,
they may find it difficult to locate a seller for the latter after late
2013.
" /]

What I find telling is that Microsoft is recommending WinXP users to
migrate to Win7 and NOT Win8. To me, that's a clear acknowledgment that
Win8 is a step backwards rather than in the other direction.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

Daniel-257
Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9227490/Aged_Windows_XP_costs_5x_more_to_manage_than_Windows_7
>

> [excerpt quote="
> Smaller firms that buy Windows licenses at retail, likely in the form of
> a new PC, can also downgrade from Windows 8 to 7, but only if the new
> system is pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro, the higher-end edition. They
> will also need media -- a DVD or flash drive -- containing Windows 7
> Professional to complete the downgrade. If smaller shops wait too long,
> they may find it difficult to locate a seller for the latter after late
> 2013.
> " /]
>
> What I find telling is that Microsoft is recommending WinXP users to
> migrate to Win7 and NOT Win8. To me, that's a clear acknowledgment that
> Win8 is a step backwards rather than in the other direction.

Either that or MS get money for XP to 7 upgrade, then get more for 7 to
8 upgrade later on!!

--
Daniel

Re: Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

David Boles-2
On 5/28/2012 3:25 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9227490/Aged_Windows_XP_costs_5x_more_to_manage_than_Windows_7
>

> [excerpt quote="
> Smaller firms that buy Windows licenses at retail, likely in the form of
> a new PC, can also downgrade from Windows 8 to 7, but only if the new
> system is pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro, the higher-end edition. They
> will also need media -- a DVD or flash drive -- containing Windows 7
> Professional to complete the downgrade. If smaller shops wait too long,
> they may find it difficult to locate a seller for the latter after late
> 2013.
> " /]
>
> What I find telling is that Microsoft is recommending WinXP users to
> migrate to Win7 and NOT Win8. To me, that's a clear acknowledgment that
> Win8 is a step backwards rather than in the other direction.

Probably more along the idea that anyone that has a computer old enough
to have come with Win XP does not have adequate hardware for Win 8.

--

  David

Re: Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

WaltS-3
On 05/28/2012 10:17 AM, David wrote:

> On 5/28/2012 3:25 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9227490/Aged_Windows_XP_costs_5x_more_to_manage_than_Windows_7
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> Smaller firms that buy Windows licenses at retail, likely in the form of
>> a new PC, can also downgrade from Windows 8 to 7, but only if the new
>> system is pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro, the higher-end edition. They
>> will also need media -- a DVD or flash drive -- containing Windows 7
>> Professional to complete the downgrade. If smaller shops wait too long,
>> they may find it difficult to locate a seller for the latter after late
>> 2013.
>> " /]
>>
>> What I find telling is that Microsoft is recommending WinXP users to
>> migrate to Win7 and NOT Win8. To me, that's a clear acknowledgment that
>> Win8 is a step backwards rather than in the other direction.
>>

> Probably more along the idea that anyone that has a computer old enough
> to have come with Win XP does not have adequate hardware for Win 8.

System requirements are the same for Windows 7, and Windows 8.

http://tinyurl.com/824ddjv

http://tinyurl.com/ku826k

See if your PC can run Windows 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

--
Thunderbird (15.0a1) Daily | openSUSE 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2
I love the Australis look of TB 15!

Re: Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

David E. Ross-3
Windows XP might be aged, but it runs applications that might not run on
Windows 7 or 8.  For me, those applications still provide the
functionality that I want; but no newer versions are available.

Yes, I could run Windows 7 in Windows XP mode.  However, why should I
pay for Windows 7 and run it in Windows XP mode when I already have
Windows XP?

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross

On 5/28/2012 10:46 AM, WLS wrote:

> On 05/28/2012 10:17 AM, David wrote:
>> On 5/28/2012 3:25 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9227490/Aged_Windows_XP_costs_5x_more_to_manage_than_Windows_7
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> Smaller firms that buy Windows licenses at retail, likely in the form of
>>> a new PC, can also downgrade from Windows 8 to 7, but only if the new
>>> system is pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro, the higher-end edition. They
>>> will also need media -- a DVD or flash drive -- containing Windows 7
>>> Professional to complete the downgrade. If smaller shops wait too long,
>>> they may find it difficult to locate a seller for the latter after late
>>> 2013.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> What I find telling is that Microsoft is recommending WinXP users to
>>> migrate to Win7 and NOT Win8. To me, that's a clear acknowledgment that
>>> Win8 is a step backwards rather than in the other direction.
>>>

>> Probably more along the idea that anyone that has a computer old enough
>> to have come with Win XP does not have adequate hardware for Win 8.
>>

> System requirements are the same for Windows 7, and Windows 8.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/824ddjv
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ku826k
>
> See if your PC can run Windows 7.
>
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

I assemble my own computers and currently use Win 7 86_64 Pro. The
Windows 8 beta also runs on my machine although I do not like it. It
works too much like my phone.  :-)

--

  David

On 5/28/2012 10:55 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> Windows XP might be aged, but it runs applications that might not run on
> Windows 7 or 8.  For me, those applications still provide the
> functionality that I want; but no newer versions are available.

XP is EOL. Or will be in less than 2 years. May I ask which programs you
think just might not run on Win 7? Curious only. I can not think of any
that I used on XP that doe not run on Win 7.

As for Win 8? As I understand it it is quite different. I only played
with it for about two weeks and never did grow ot like it.

"

--

  David

Re: Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

Tarkus-4
On 5/28/2012 12:25 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9227490/Aged_Windows_XP_costs_5x_more_to_manage_than_Windows_7
>

> [excerpt quote="
> Smaller firms that buy Windows licenses at retail, likely in the form of
> a new PC, can also downgrade from Windows 8 to 7, but only if the new
> system is pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro, the higher-end edition. They
> will also need media -- a DVD or flash drive -- containing Windows 7
> Professional to complete the downgrade. If smaller shops wait too long,
> they may find it difficult to locate a seller for the latter after late
> 2013.
> " /]
>
> What I find telling is that Microsoft is recommending WinXP users to
> migrate to Win7 and NOT Win8. To me, that's a clear acknowledgment that
> Win8 is a step backwards rather than in the other direction.

What's telling is that Windows 8 hasn't yet been released, and won't be
for several more months.  They're certainly not going to recommend that
people wait to spend their money.  It's reaching to come to the
conclusion that it acknowledges that MS thinks Windows 8 is a step
backwards.  Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Re: Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on 5/28/2012
7:17 AM:

> On 5/28/2012 3:25 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9227490/Aged_Windows_XP_costs_5x_more_to_manage_than_Windows_7
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> Smaller firms that buy Windows licenses at retail, likely in the form of
>> a new PC, can also downgrade from Windows 8 to 7, but only if the new
>> system is pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro, the higher-end edition. They
>> will also need media -- a DVD or flash drive -- containing Windows 7
>> Professional to complete the downgrade. If smaller shops wait too long,
>> they may find it difficult to locate a seller for the latter after late
>> 2013.
>> " /]
>>
>> What I find telling is that Microsoft is recommending WinXP users to
>> migrate to Win7 and NOT Win8. To me, that's a clear acknowledgment that
>> Win8 is a step backwards rather than in the other direction.
>
> Probably more along the idea that anyone that has a computer old enough
> to have come with Win XP does not have adequate hardware for Win 8.

My understanding is tha Win8 is less resource consumptive than Win7.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what David E. Ross graced us with on
5/28/2012 7:55 AM:
> Windows XP might be aged, but it runs applications that might not run on
> Windows 7 or 8.  For me, those applications still provide the
> functionality that I want; but no newer versions are available.

I have a couple I want that require WinXP but I run those in a XP guest
under VirtualBox when needed.

> Yes, I could run Windows 7 in Windows XP mode.  However, why should I
> pay for Windows 7 and run it in Windows XP mode when I already have
> Windows XP?

As the report laid out, WinXP will reach EOL in 2014, current hardware
may break and drivers are not available (printers, mostly, but also some
other USB attached devices).

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Tarkus graced us with on 5/28/2012
10:10 AM:

> On 5/28/2012 12:25 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9227490/Aged_Windows_XP_costs_5x_more_to_manage_than_Windows_7
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> Smaller firms that buy Windows licenses at retail, likely in the form of
>> a new PC, can also downgrade from Windows 8 to 7, but only if the new
>> system is pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro, the higher-end edition. They
>> will also need media -- a DVD or flash drive -- containing Windows 7
>> Professional to complete the downgrade. If smaller shops wait too long,
>> they may find it difficult to locate a seller for the latter after late
>> 2013.
>> " /]
>>
>> What I find telling is that Microsoft is recommending WinXP users to
>> migrate to Win7 and NOT Win8. To me, that's a clear acknowledgment that
>> Win8 is a step backwards rather than in the other direction.
>
> What's telling is that Windows 8 hasn't yet been released, and won't be
> for several more months.  They're certainly not going to recommend that
> people wait to spend their money.  It's reaching to come to the
> conclusion that it acknowledges that MS thinks Windows 8 is a step
> backwards.  Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Really? You actually think that Microsoft thinks that this
recommendation makes sense going out now when their new flagship product
will be releasing in a few months. Really? I mean, I think they are
mistake-prone, sure, but not that migration deaf.

Anyway, what intrigues me more is your belief that Win8 desktop is a
step forward from Win7. Care to elaborate?

On 5/28/2012 1:36 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on 5/28/2012
> 7:17 AM:
>> On 5/28/2012 3:25 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9227490/Aged_Windows_XP_costs_5x_more_to_manage_than_Windows_7
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> Smaller firms that buy Windows licenses at retail, likely in the form of
>>> a new PC, can also downgrade from Windows 8 to 7, but only if the new
>>> system is pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro, the higher-end edition. They
>>> will also need media -- a DVD or flash drive -- containing Windows 7
>>> Professional to complete the downgrade. If smaller shops wait too long,
>>> they may find it difficult to locate a seller for the latter after late
>>> 2013.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> What I find telling is that Microsoft is recommending WinXP users to
>>> migrate to Win7 and NOT Win8. To me, that's a clear acknowledgment that
>>> Win8 is a step backwards rather than in the other direction.
>>
>> Probably more along the idea that anyone that has a computer old enough
>> to have come with Win XP does not have adequate hardware for Win 8.
>>
> My understanding is tha Win8 is less resource consumptive than Win7.

I really don't know. As I said I tried it here on my current machine and
it ran fine. But this machine is five machines after what I used for XP.
None of the parts from it are in this one. Come to think of it even the
mouse pad has been replaced twice.  :-)

--

  David

Re: Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/28/2012
7:46 AM:

> On 05/28/2012 10:17 AM, David wrote:
>> On 5/28/2012 3:25 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9227490/Aged_Windows_XP_costs_5x_more_to_manage_than_Windows_7
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> Smaller firms that buy Windows licenses at retail, likely in the form of
>>> a new PC, can also downgrade from Windows 8 to 7, but only if the new
>>> system is pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro, the higher-end edition. They
>>> will also need media -- a DVD or flash drive -- containing Windows 7
>>> Professional to complete the downgrade. If smaller shops wait too long,
>>> they may find it difficult to locate a seller for the latter after late
>>> 2013.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> What I find telling is that Microsoft is recommending WinXP users to
>>> migrate to Win7 and NOT Win8. To me, that's a clear acknowledgment that
>>> Win8 is a step backwards rather than in the other direction.
>>>

>> Probably more along the idea that anyone that has a computer old enough
>> to have come with Win XP does not have adequate hardware for Win 8.
>
> System requirements are the same for Windows 7, and Windows 8.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/824ddjv
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ku826k
>
> See if your PC can run Windows 7.
>
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

In fact, since Win8 gets rid of most of the Aero resource-consumptive
desktop features, one would think that would make it more likely a
migration path for older XP systems, no?

On 5/28/2012 1:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/28/2012
> 7:46 AM:

>>> Probably more along the idea that anyone that has a computer old enough
>>> to have come with Win XP does not have adequate hardware for Win 8.
>>
>> System requirements are the same for Windows 7, and Windows 8.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/824ddjv
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/ku826k
>>
>> See if your PC can run Windows 7.
>>
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor
>>
> In fact, since Win8 gets rid of most of the Aero resource-consumptive
> desktop features, one would think that would make it more likely a
> migration path for older XP systems, no?

Perhaps. But Win 7 'looks' more like XP with a little class affed. And
the 'Aero' stuff can be disabled.

My 'problem' with Win 8 is the 'touch scree' part. I don't like the idea
of touching my monitor screen.

--

  David

Re: Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on 5/28/2012
11:09 AM:

> On 5/28/2012 1:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/28/2012
>> 7:46 AM:

>>> System requirements are the same for Windows 7, and Windows 8.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/824ddjv
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/ku826k
>>>
>>> See if your PC can run Windows 7.
>>>
>>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor
>>>
>> In fact, since Win8 gets rid of most of the Aero resource-consumptive
>> desktop features, one would think that would make it more likely a
>> migration path for older XP systems, no?
>
> Perhaps. But Win 7 'looks' more like XP with a little class affed. And
> the 'Aero' stuff can be disabled.
>
> My 'problem' with Win 8 is the 'touch scree' part. I don't like the idea
> of touching my monitor screen.

Lest there be a misunderstanding, in its present form, Win8 is not
something I will ever migrate to, touch screen or no. I'd probably move
to a Linux distro before that.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

Sjouke Burry
David <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

> On 5/28/2012 1:36 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on

>>> Probably more along the idea that anyone that has a computer old
>>> enough to have come with Win XP does not have adequate hardware for
>>> Win 8.
>>>
>> My understanding is tha Win8 is less resource consumptive than Win7.
>>

> I really don't know. As I said I tried it here on my current machine
> and it ran fine. But this machine is five machines after what I used
> for XP. None of the parts from it are in this one. Come to think of it
> even the mouse pad has been replaced twice.  :-)

Which mousepad driver did you use?
I have had a hell of a time to find one....

Re: Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Sjouke Burry graced us with on
5/28/2012 1:07 PM:

> David <[hidden email]> wrote in
> news:[hidden email]:
>
>> On 5/28/2012 1:36 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on
>>> 5/28/2012 7:17 AM:

>>> My understanding is tha Win8 is less resource consumptive than Win7.
>>
>> I really don't know. As I said I tried it here on my current machine
>> and it ran fine. But this machine is five machines after what I used
>> for XP. None of the parts from it are in this one. Come to think of it
>> even the mouse pad has been replaced twice.  :-)
>
> Which mousepad driver did you use?
> I have had a hell of a time to find one....
baWHAAAA!

On 5/28/2012 4:07 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:

> David <[hidden email]> wrote in
> news:[hidden email]:
>
>> On 5/28/2012 1:36 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on
>>> 5/28/2012 7:17 AM:

>>> My understanding is tha Win8 is less resource consumptive than Win7.
>>>

>> I really don't know. As I said I tried it here on my current machine
>> and it ran fine. But this machine is five machines after what I used
>> for XP. None of the parts from it are in this one. Come to think of it
>> even the mouse pad has been replaced twice.  :-)
>>

> Which mousepad driver did you use?
> I have had a hell of a time to find one....

:-)

It's a Steelseries and I use the latest driver available. .

--

  David

Re: Aged Windows XP costs 5x more to manage than Windows 7

Ron Hunter
On 5/28/2012 9:55 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> Windows XP might be aged, but it runs applications that might not run on
> Windows 7 or 8.  For me, those applications still provide the
> functionality that I want; but no newer versions are available.
>
> Yes, I could run Windows 7 in Windows XP mode.  However, why should I
> pay for Windows 7 and run it in Windows XP mode when I already have
> Windows XP?

You mean other than it being better, easier to use, more powerful, and
safer (security wise)?  No reason at all.

On 5/28/2012 12:10 PM, Tarkus wrote:

> On 5/28/2012 12:25 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9227490/Aged_Windows_XP_costs_5x_more_to_manage_than_Windows_7
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> Smaller firms that buy Windows licenses at retail, likely in the form of
>> a new PC, can also downgrade from Windows 8 to 7, but only if the new
>> system is pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro, the higher-end edition. They
>> will also need media -- a DVD or flash drive -- containing Windows 7
>> Professional to complete the downgrade. If smaller shops wait too long,
>> they may find it difficult to locate a seller for the latter after late
>> 2013.
>> " /]
>>
>> What I find telling is that Microsoft is recommending WinXP users to
>> migrate to Win7 and NOT Win8. To me, that's a clear acknowledgment that
>> Win8 is a step backwards rather than in the other direction.
>
> What's telling is that Windows 8 hasn't yet been released, and won't be
> for several more months.  They're certainly not going to recommend that
> people wait to spend their money.  It's reaching to come to the
> conclusion that it acknowledges that MS thinks Windows 8 is a step
> backwards.  Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Regardless of what MS thinks, I believe Windows 8 will tank, and PC
makers will be besieged by calls for Win7 instead.  I, personally, will
not use it unless some way is provided so that I will never have to see
the 'Metro' interface.  It's ugly, garish, and so much different from
anything that went before that I would, basically, have to relearn
everything before I could even start to use the computer for the most
basic of functions.
It would be rather like buying a new car that had the brake and
accelerator switched, and the shift pattern reversed, and the seats
facing in rather than to the front.  Senseless!

1234 ... 12